Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
Royal Islander(Freeport)
3,052 results
All reviewschina beachacross the streetbreakers cayocean viewinfinity poolcigar barall inclusive packagelighthouse pointcruise shipday passbeautiful resortgrand celebrationall inclusive planswim up barthe check in processbanana boatper person
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We just arrived to the bahamas for a romantic vacation together. I was weary of staying at the Grand Lucayan after reading some bad reviews, but i figured Oh it cant be that bad as the website seemed pretty legit and its a 4 star property. WRONG!!! We arrive and its a disaster people everywhere from the cruise ships i suppose. So we walk over to the market area and have lunch which was great get back to the hotel and they tell us we can check in early which is even better! Then we find out on top of everything we have already paid to stay here we have to pay another $132 for the 3 nights we are here so that we can use our hotel room, the beach and the pools. Ok fine that was aggravating but i blamed that on my credit card company for not telling me since i actually booked through their site using points we had earned on our card. Then the kicker we get to our room and we have a double bed instead a king. Annoying but fine we can just call and swap rooms right? NOPE!! No kings available. Even though you say you want a king bed when making reservations apparently it is never guaranteed. So you pay the resort money for what you are expecting and then they just give you whatever. It doesn't matter what you pay for. This is our first time staying here at this resort. We decided to test it out before we come back to the bahamas on our annual family trip of 20 guests. I would have been so embarrassed if we took all of them here and had these things happen. We just got to our room about 20 minutes ago we still have 3 days to go crammed in our lovely double bed together at least we have an ocean view. NEVER AGAIN WILL I COME TO THIS RESORT NOR WILL I RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE. I have also contacted our credit card company to place a complaint for advertising this place as a resort on their website. Shame on them as well. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!! We also briefly spoke to another family who was checking out and they said the food here is terrible and pricey guess we will be eating in the market place the whole trip.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank tiffaulkner
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Hi tiffaulkner,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review here on TripAdvisor. I am very saddened to read that you were not given the room category that you were expecting and that your credit card company did not include all of the total fees for your stay when you booked. I appreciate all of your feedback and I will look into this issue. I trust that the remainder of your trip was enjoyable. Please feel free to email me at guestservices@grandlucayan.com.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

My fiancé and our 2 children (5yr old & 18 months at the time) visited Grand Lucayan earlier this year in January (18-25). We were originally supposed to go to the Memories but we were re-located to this resort since there was a delay in the opening of the Memories Resort.

This was our first time to the Bahamas and unfortunately it wasn't what we expected. The views and scenery throughout the Grand Bahama Island & their waters and Beaches were BEAUTIFUL and Picturesque. It was just too bad we were there when the weather wasn't co-operative - with the exception of one day, the whole trip we needed sweaters (and We're Canadian!).

Anyway, Grand Lucayan facilities was ok. Always clean but it also seemed like it was falling apart - there were caution tape and work being done at different places everyday... But at least it was being attended to. The room was standard... we were on the 10th floor and the housekeeping ladies were great - always smiling, singing and working hard.

When we first got into our room, the Safe wasn't working & the toilette was not flushing. We immediately notified Front Desk and they sent people to take care of them. within the hour they were both attended to. The toilette never gave us a problem again throughout the week. But by the end of the first night we gave up on the safe because it just kept malfunctioning.

The FOOD: So this hotel had guests who were all inclusive & some who just paid for the room. So, everywhere we went, showing our AI wristband wasn't enough: we had to sign a receipt each time (Even at the Bar!! - such a nuisance). So we went to the Main buffet (willy-something) only a couple of times. The staff there were miserable - not friendly at all, no smiles... as if they hated their job. We also tried the China Beach & Iries - which was good & had better wait staff. For lunch China Beach Grill was really good. esp. the sweet potatoe fries! The Gormet restaurant was not our cup of tea! BUT because of the cooler weather and unimpressive wait staff, Most of our food we ate was from Room Service... in the comfort of our own room & that food was good!

We loved the beach & the water... Didn't really like all the vendors walking the beach BUT they weren't too pushy and left us alone once we said no. We never went in the pool (because the water was FREEZING & who would go in the pool when the beach is BEAUTIFUL).

Kids club is all the way on the other side of the resort... long walk and not a lot of kids but my daughter enjoyed it.

Bottom line... it was OK. Not a great first impression of the Bahamas. Would I recommend Lucayan? No. Nor will I ever go back. Next time we will go to Nassau if we decide to try Bahamas again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Hi RatedVacay,

Thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review. I am happy to read that you found the beaches and water beautiful and picturesque during your stay with us. It is unfortunate that you feel that our resort is just ok and weather was an issue during your stay. I appreciate all of your feedback and will take all of it into consideration.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I have nothing but good things to say about this lovely resort & I'm not a resort kind of person. The room was lovely. If you want an ocean view, get something from the 4th or 5th floor up. We were on the top (10th floor) w/ a lovely view. The service is impeccable. There is a pool bar & some restaurants. We liked Iries the best. Breakfast is great & we didn't even get the full breakfast. There was coffee, tea, cereal, fruit, breads, cheeses & juices. Across the street is the market w/ restaurants (we liked Bateman's the best) & stores & another resort next to it w/ a restaurant. It's pretty much all about the eating, drinking, lying on the beach. Go early to get a tiki table w/ a straw umbrella. I wouldn't get the all inclusive myself because you are limited to the resort's restaurants, which are ok, but there is more of a variety if you don't & they all aren't always open. Also, the resort lobby is prettily decorated. It's all good. But, the Bahamas are expensive, keep that in mind. The trip included airfare & breakfast and transfers run by www.cheapcarribean.com at very reasonable price. Also, I think our resort was nicer than most, so I would go for it.

Room Tip: 4rh floor or above for a good ocean view. The top is the 10th.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi chatnoir,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review. I am very happy to read that you really enjoyed your stay at our resort as well as your view. I am also happy to know that you found the service during your stay impeccable. I appreciate all of your feedback and look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

We got a great deal on cheap Carribean. We have travelled extensively with apple and independently all over Europe and within the us and didn't expect much from the resort since it was booked as a last minute getaway. We booked an ocean view room which all the reviews we read recommended and paid extra. When we arrived we were greeted to an unfriendly women at the desk who told us the hotel was over booked and gave us a room on the second floor after she took her sweet time while abt 5 ppl were standing waiting for service. She told us to come back and check tomorrow if our original ocean view room would be ready. We checked into the room on the second floor which faced tree stumps!!! No view at all! Barely could even see the pool! Then the bathtub was stopped up the entire time when we tried to take a shower. The next day was even worse as the line to get to the desk was on a 2 hour wait and when we finally got to the front we were given a room on the 3rd floor! Which faced the leaves of the trees now! We moved from the base of the trees to the tops of trees! Still no view we paid for! After my husband asked for a manager she was able to give us a room that was on the 8th floor and the view was spectacular! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT DEALING WITH THE INCOMPETENT WOMEN AT THE DESK AND ASKING RIGHT AWAY FOR A GENERAL MANAGER! They seem to be the only people who can actually get things done!

The ocean was warm, clean, clear, and seaweed free. The pool was ok. Ample chairs but horrible trying to get a towel. The food for breakfast at willie b was good every morning, but don't wait until 9am or later to go bc the food will be cold and there are slim pickings. China grill was sup par. Only ate there once for lunch and would not eat there again. The food was meeh. Walk to the marketplace across the street and get food. There is subway and Pizza Hut and some nice restaurants. I recommend Piceses! Their apple pie and pizza was the best I had on the island! Watch out for the "people soliciting up and down the path between the hotel and the marketplace" they try to get you to sit through a tour to eat at the steak house and Japanese restaurant at the sister property memories next door! IGNORE THEM AND DO NOT DO IT! IT IS NOT WORTH THE WASTED TIME OR FOOD.

I don't gamble but the casino is fun and they give you free alcohol if you play.

Overall Freeport, Bahamas is a great island. Best beach by far I've been too!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Brittini T
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Hi Brittini T,

Thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review. I would like to apologize for the confusion you encountered upon your arrival and I am very pleased to hear that after speaking with a manager you were given a room you were happy with. I appreciate all of your feedback and I will take all of it into consideration.

-Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Watch your bill and make sure you get everything in writing at this resort. We ordered 3 rooms, when we got there, the hotel was overbooked and the seven of us were kept waiting for over 2 hours in the hotel lobby. When we finally got called back up to the desk, they told us the hotel was so sorry and they wanted to make it up to us for our wait. They gave us 2 suites (one of which had 2 bedrooms) and the clerk told us we would be charged for the 2 rooms. When we checked out we were given 2 bills, one for each room. Fast forward 5 months, they are now trying to charge us for 3 rooms because the second room had 2 actual bedrooms and we are still fighting our credit card charges, they never gave the golf discount they promised and forget the spa treatment as they were overbooked and could not fit us in. Our hotel key only opened our room, it did not unlock the gate at the front of the resort, it did not entitle us to a towel at the pool, for this you need to get additional key cards. Oh, and if you are going for a photo op (such as a wedding) keep in mind that you must wear a "hospital" type badge on your wrist that you can not take off.

Room Tip: Make sure to check your bill - even with that, keep checking your credit card as they add charges later.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Ginny W

Hi Ginny W,

Thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review and for bringing this issue to my attention. Please email me at guestservices@grandlucayan.com if I can be of any assistance to help this matter get resolved.

-Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services