“Awesome except for a few annoyances”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is a beautiful hotel with amazing views of the ocean and is basically what I expected from a resort in the Bahamas. Lots of restaurants at both the hotel and the marketplace across the street, shopping nearby, enough activities to keep you busy on a daily basis, excellent gym/spa, easily accessible pools/amenities, just perfect. I have a few annoyances though which, without them, the place would get 5 rating -- (1) The website says that it is a smoke-free resort however that is not the case, or at least this policy is not enforced. I got tired of having to walk through a cloud of cigarette smoke when entering/exiting buildings. (2) They use flat sheets on the beds instead of a fitted sheet which meant that my husband woke up every morning with his face directly on the mattress because the sheets aren't big enough to stay tucked on. (3) The check-in/out process is laughable. Check-in alone took 30+ minutes and check-out was just confusing. My husband and I went by the front desk the night before we left and we were given 3 different bills with 3 different totals, the third one we were told was the "correct" one. The next morning when they slid the bill under our door, sure enough...it didn't match the "correct" one. Everything was eventually sorted out, but they shouldn't operate with that much trouble (I've read other reviews that have made similar comments). Again, without these few annoyances, the place is awesome.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kebrowni
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Good Afternoon kebrowni,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm so happy to hear you found the resort to be amazing and I'm glad you enjoyed all the restaurant options available at the resort and across the street. Also, I really appreciate your feedback on the three concern you brought to my attention. I'd like to take this time to apologize and I'll be notifying the departments who are responsible. I hope you'll visit us again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me if you need anything. My e-mail is guestservices@grandlucayan.com.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

There are no malls. There's not much of anything. The idea is to get away from it all and relax. The marketplace across the street has everything you need and we found every restaurant we ate at was delicious. We were in for 5 nights for our son's wedding which was held on the grounds of the resort and it was picture perfect. The staff know what they are doing and have it down to a science. The rooms are beautiful and our families were all happy with the accomodations. Prepare to relax and do nothing!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank idealden
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Hello dealden,

Thank you for rating us 5 stars on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy your son had a picture perfect wedding and that you had such a relaxing time during your 5 night stay. I am also please to hear your families enjoyed our accommodations too! I hope you can visit us again sometime soon! Thanks again for your kind words.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

First of all, let me go over the pluses of this resort. Fantastic location, most of the staff, pools are unmatched anywhere, great hours with the on premises general store and coffee shop. Some people there are just totally fantastic, Especially Chef Russell, Clover in the coffee shop and the one lifeguard Clementi who go overboard to make you feel welcome and at home. The infinity pool on the other side of the hotel is quite amazing and the beach is perfect. I will definitely be going back.

Now the only minus, but it really bothered me: I had no issue with check in, but some people were complaining about it, but due to a bill update, I had to skip the express checkout and go to the front desk. The couple in front of me were waiting (they were next in line) for 20 minutes before I arrived and after I arrived another 20 minutes went by without any movement or acknowledgement from the person at the front desk. I just went up and dropped my rook key and paperwork and said there is another charge that has not been updated. If the management could expedite the check ins and outs, this resort could easily receive 5's all across the board.

Room Tip: No clue, no one complained about the rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Pittony

Hello Pittony,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on TripAdvisor! I really appreciate all the positive things you had to share about your experience. I'd also like to thank you for your kind words about Chef Russel, Clover and Clementi. Lastly, I'm so sorry you experienced slow service at check out. If you still have questions about your bill please contact me at guestservices@grandlucayan.com. Other than that, I appreciate your feedback and share it with the rest of our team.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We recently stayed for five days. Our room was clean and well air conditioned. The bedding was nice except the bottom sheet was not fitted so we would wake up in the morning lying directly on the mattress. Food was okay. China Beach is over-priced. The best place to sit in the sun and enjoy some peace is by the lap pool and infinity pool. The spa is great if youre on islamd time.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Cheswilson

Hello Cheswilson,

Thank you for writing us a review on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed sitting in the sun and relaxing at the spa. Thank you for feedback and I will share it with our team.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

This was our first time at the said resort and while we are still here, waiting for our bus, it will most likely be the last.
As stated below, by other former guests scenery and the ocean are indeed spectacular, unfortunately I could not find mighty Poseidon registered here as service provider, so 5 stars reserved for that are held in escrow at this time.
With that said, the resort itself is nothing "Grand" to write home about, not cheap enough to justify the shortcomings, yet way too expensive to deserve a second look.
Although facilities are up to par, including specious rooms, mostly functional pool areas and free internet, signs of age are creeping up. Complementary internet is pleasant, however $8 phone call connection fee made me think of 1930's, where beautiful lady somewhere, at the switch board, inserting phone jack into plug marked "USA, too rich to care", to be followed by $2/minute. It would not be so sarcastic and perhaps preachy, if the Internet provided was fast enough for Skype.
If all the above might have take half a star from my rating, the rest is lost to absolutely clueless staff and substandard house restaurants. We were lucky to have "all inclusive" bands on us, making $6 local beers more tolerable, however that $500 extra cost was far from justifiable.
4 out of 5 food holes were substandard at best, making Iries' the only place worth visiting. Their crown jewel Churchill's is laughable, except for the pricing. For provided re-heated meal with fusion of heaven and hell appetizers, we ended up charged double.
Every time anyone uses their "All Included" wrist band, extensive paperwork was to follow.
To every question, or concern staff reacts like they have never heard it before, while talking to other members, or taking questions from other people cutting in line. This made our check in a 3 hour process, with hauling our bags across the resort and such.
So if one is looking to send a night in comfort this place is fine, but I'd definitely eat and drink outside the resort for better quality and to save a bundle.

Room Tip: Try to get upper levels, view is better there.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank M_Yan_USA

Hello M_Yan_USA,

Thanks for spending some time writing us a review on TipAdvisor. I'm glad you found our resort up to par but I'm sad to read you felt that our restaurants, besides Iries, was not appealing to you. We normally hear compliments from our guests about their dining experience at Churchills. I wish it could have been different for you. Lastly, I'll admit, making long distance phone calls outside of the United States does get a little pricey and I'm sorry for that. All in all, I'd like to thank you for your feedback and will share your concerns with our staff.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

this is the sixth visit to Grand Lucayan for me and my husband and on this trip, we took along our 4 children. we just can't get enough of the resort...the resort views to the ocean are amazing, the property is kept clean and we always felt safe. our last visit was back in april and we loved the addition of the tiki table huts by the ocean. there were only five of them and recent reviewers noted how difficult it was to secure one of those. well, looks like the resort listened to all those comments because there is now upwards of 25+ white umbrellas all along the beach. we had no problem at all getting one of these beach umbrells during the entire 5 days of our stay. the only thing i would recommend is on cruise ship days, make sure you get out to the beach by 10:30am to get your lounge chair and umbrella. the cruise ship customers come all at once and get the beach very busy. other then that, they are really not a bother.

since this was our sixth time back, we are obviously big fans of the resort and all it offers. in terms of 'needs improvement' items, it's really only two issues that i feel need to be addressed. 1) the staff at Hammerheads is very very slow. the bar can get extremely crowded and the staff is not efficient in servicing the guests waiting. the bartenders talk alot between themselves, watch the TV and pretty much ignore the people at the swim up section of the bar. one person waiting stood up on his pool barstool and was waving his arms and yelling to try to get thier attention. this is lost revenue for the hotel because many people just got fed up waiting and left. more attentive service at Hammerheads would see happy customers and more sales for the resort.

2) my other comment has been written about so much already, but the check-in/check-out lines really do get out of hand. i won't get into details since other writers have expressed what we have all felt.

this trip, the kids were very interested in the water sports and they loved the bananna boats, snorling and parasailing. book with Charles from motion-ocean...he walks along the beach all day and will give you details on all the water sports offered. we all did the snorkling and it was great. the snorkel boat is anchored on a great reef and a smaller motor boat takes you out to the snorkel site. you can use the snorkels and boat for the day (9-4) and they will bring the motor boat (launch) to pick you up and take you back and forth as many times as you like all for the one price you pay. we took a break from snorkeling and came back for lunch and some beach time and then called the launch and went right back out to snorkel some more. it is a great deal.

all in all, we are big fans of Grand Lucayan. i would like to see them have some sort of 'rewards program' for frequent guests. that would be a great incentive for us. this isnt our last time at Grand Lucayan and are looking forward to returning again soon.

Room Tip: spring for the high floor oceanview...it is an absolutely worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank sgirl09

Hello sgirl09,

Thank you so much for writing a raving review! We love hearing from our repeat guests. I'm so happy this time you brought the kids and that they had such a great time on the beach enjoying all the activities. I'd also like to thank you for sharing your feedback, we really appreciate your opinion. I look forward to your return. Keep a look out for special offers on our website. If you ever need anything gives me a shout at guestservices@grandlucayan.com.

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Loved it...best part was the infinity pool which was away from the pool bar....we are more a quiet type and dont enjoy the resort activites so much. We just want to get away from it all and we did. Had the whole beach to ourself and the infinity pool too. Very relaxing and staff was great. Enjoyed the big breakfast each day on property

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julie V
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Hello Julie V,

Thank you so much for your awesome review! I am very happy to read that you loved your stay at our beachfront property. I am also happy to read that you were able to get away from it all during your visit, had a relaxing time and found our staff great. We look forward to having come back and visit our resort again soon. Our infinity pool will be waiting for you!

- Bernadette Arty, Director of Guest Services

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
#1 of 1 in West End
Island Seas Resort
Island Seas Resort
#12 of 14 in Freeport

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!