“nice hotel beautiful views, but sneaky charge”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This hotel was part of a Bahamas Celebration Cruise we booked. When we arrived at the hotel
We waited for 3 hours before we could get our room. They added a $10 "energy surcharge" per person per day on our bill which i was not happy with. Isn't hydro usage included with the hotel charge? The room was beautiful as we had ocean view. Awesome scenery. This property had available a meal plan per person per day for $122 which is absurd! The fitness center is located far from the hotel in an area of the property which had empty buildings. Overall I loved the hotel but feel that I would not return as I prefer the all inclusive. In addition the food plan is not worth it.

3  Thank BERNICE F
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Good Afternoon Bernice,

Thank you for reaching out to us on TripAdvisor about your stay. I would like to apologize that you had to wait to be assigned to your guest room. If we have rooms available before our 3PM check in time we try our best to assign guests to their rooms. But I am happy to hear you found your room and the view so beautiful! Secondly, I am so sorry for any confusion with your bill. I see that you booked with Bahamas Celebration Cruises. When you book directly with us all additional fees and taxes are listed. Lastly, if you have any other concerns you would like to share with me, please do not hesitate to contact me at guestservices@grandlucayan.com.

- Bernadette Arty, Director of Guest Services

Write a ReviewReviews (3,023)

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed a couple of nights, very enjoyable. Upgrade to oceanview highly recommended. The resorts sits on 26 acres, encompassing several buildings/restaurants/fitness. The grounds are well kept and there is significant security, especially night. The ocean and pool were great. We want to take some friends back for another visit

Room Tip: Go oceanview, period. The views are incredible
1  Thank steven t
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Good Afternoon Steven,

Thanks for writing a recommendation on TripAdvisor! I'm pleased to hear you really enjoyed your trip and I look forward to your return with your friends. If you need anything in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

This was a gift to my daughter who was graduating from nursing school, and it is also the last vacation that I (her mom) can forsee paying for for her. :)
I usually stay at Hiltons or Hyatt Regencys. In fact, I am a Gold status member of Hyatt's reward program.
I LOVED staying at this resort!! It is CLEAN, did not have to request a refrigerator nor iron for the room and my favorite part was we had our own semi-private balcony. PLENTY of towels in the bathroom.
CONS: check-in/check out. no problem with our bill, but lines were LONG. I believe the computer system kept failing on them. We could empathize, therefore sympathize with the desk staff. The staffs' appearance was very sharp (make up beautiful!) lobby carpet was tired. Pools were great, but they should skim them a little more often.

Room Tip: Ask if can get a room with a view of the tennis courts...
4  Thank Fiona F

Hello Fiona,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Grand Lucayan in celebration of your daughters graduation. I'm so happy to hear you had a great experience and I really appreciate the recommendation. Overall, I appreciate your feedback and I hope you will visit us again in the future. :-)

Reviewed 20 August 2014

The hotel is really gorgeous. Pool and beach are steps away. Grounds are well maintained, scenery can't be beat. Food is pretty poor quality, though, and unreasonably expensive. We did the buffet and food was bad and the cost was $80 for two adults and two kids. When it rains there is absolutely nothing to do, so that was lame. On a nice day, this hotel can't be beat because there's no need to leave the grounds.

Room Tip: You definitely want an ocean view room. You definitely need lots of money for food.
3  Thank jerseytrav

Hello jerseytrav,

Thank you for rating us on TripAdvisor! I am flattered to hear you find our resort gorgeous, but I am sorry you experience some rain during stay. I will inform our programming team to brainstorm some activities for children. On a rainy day I always recommend visiting our spa for a couples massage. :-) Lastly, I would also like to apologize that you did not care for our buffet. Overall, I would like to thank you again for feedback, I really appreciate it. I hope you plan on returning to the Bahamas, if you need anything in the future please do not hesitate to ask. :-)

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I was here only for the day, and as such I cannot speak about the rooms or staff. However, I can say that the beach and pool area were gorgeous! The water in the ocean was clear and clean, the beach was wide with plenty of umbrellas and chairs. There were several pool areas, and a lovely infinity pool, also very clean. I ate in the buffet, which was nothing great. If you like your iced tea to taste like sugar water, then this is the place! Overall, however, a great place that I would definitely consider returning to.

2  Thank Julie A

Hello Julie,

Thank you for writing us a recommendation! I'm so happy you enjoyed taking advantage of our day pass offer. I hope next time you can return for a longer stay! If you need anything please do not hesitate to ask!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is a beautiful hotel with amazing views of the ocean and is basically what I expected from a resort in the Bahamas. Lots of restaurants at both the hotel and the marketplace across the street, shopping nearby, enough activities to keep you busy on a daily basis, excellent gym/spa, easily accessible pools/amenities, just perfect. I have a few annoyances though which, without them, the place would get 5 rating -- (1) The website says that it is a smoke-free resort however that is not the case, or at least this policy is not enforced. I got tired of having to walk through a cloud of cigarette smoke when entering/exiting buildings. (2) They use flat sheets on the beds instead of a fitted sheet which meant that my husband woke up every morning with his face directly on the mattress because the sheets aren't big enough to stay tucked on. (3) The check-in/out process is laughable. Check-in alone took 30+ minutes and check-out was just confusing. My husband and I went by the front desk the night before we left and we were given 3 different bills with 3 different totals, the third one we were told was the "correct" one. The next morning when they slid the bill under our door, sure enough...it didn't match the "correct" one. Everything was eventually sorted out, but they shouldn't operate with that much trouble (I've read other reviews that have made similar comments). Again, without these few annoyances, the place is awesome.

3  Thank kebrowni

Good Afternoon kebrowni,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm so happy to hear you found the resort to be amazing and I'm glad you enjoyed all the restaurant options available at the resort and across the street. Also, I really appreciate your feedback on the three concern you brought to my attention. I'd like to take this time to apologize and I'll be notifying the departments who are responsible. I hope you'll visit us again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me if you need anything. My e-mail is guestservices@grandlucayan.com.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

There are no malls. There's not much of anything. The idea is to get away from it all and relax. The marketplace across the street has everything you need and we found every restaurant we ate at was delicious. We were in for 5 nights for our son's wedding which was held on the grounds of the resort and it was picture perfect. The staff know what they are doing and have it down to a science. The rooms are beautiful and our families were all happy with the accomodations. Prepare to relax and do nothing!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank idealden
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Hello dealden,

Thank you for rating us 5 stars on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy your son had a picture perfect wedding and that you had such a relaxing time during your 5 night stay. I am also please to hear your families enjoyed our accommodations too! I hope you can visit us again sometime soon! Thanks again for your kind words.

- Bernadette Arty, Director of Guest Services

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
Lighthouse Pointe at Grand Lucayan Resort - All Inclusive
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!