“great beach and good shopping”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Oberlin, Ohio
“great beach and good shopping”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This is a very nice hotel. The bedrooms are large and clean (spotless), the bathroom is very large with one of the most agreable showers I have ever taken, the service is excellent, very attentive to special needs. But the most wonderful thing is the location. The hotel fronts on an exceptional sand beach which just goes on and on in both directions; the sky and water are as perfect as in the photos! For those who don't like ocean bathing there are three pools with interesting shapes. The choices of restaurants, either in the hotel or the market across the road, will certainly meet every taste and every budget except the lowest. The are options as low as $9=10 for gyro, salads, sandwishes, etc, and high-class restaurants with a refined cuisine and ambience for those who prefer that. Really no complaints. I would gladly return and will certainly be here any time I return to the island! And the most comfortable beds and pillows I have had the fortune to sleep on.

Room Tip: The nicest rooms are those facing the sea, of course. Our room, facing away from the water, was rig...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Shimke
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Hello Shimke,

Thank you for writing us an outstanding review! I really appreciate it and hope you will make it back to Grand Bahama Island soon!

- Bernadette Arty, Director of Guest Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,059)
Lagos Nigeria
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed at the Grand Lucayan in June on our tour to Freeport and it really is a lovely place. The pools are endless and stops right just by the beach. I have never seen waters so blue and so clear!
There are bars by the pool so you have a drink while taking in the sun. There are several restaurants to eat on the property so you won't be bored. Its a quiet place and great for a getaway.

Room Tip: Rooms with beach view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank ArynAjalaTravel
Hello ArynAjalaTravel,

Thank you for rating us and leaving us a great recommendation! I hope you can stay with us again the future. :-)

North Carolina Coast, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Had to check in here after a disastrous experience on the other side of the island . Loved it, clean ,big rooms, working air amazing beach , great pools and most important great spa . I have to say this would be my hotel of choice when I return to Freeport . Within walking distance to stores and restaurants great beach .

Room Tip: There all good , one close to pool would be best
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Debra C
Good Afternoon Debra,

Thank you for writing us nice review! I am so happy to hear we are your choice resort on Grand Bahama Island! I look forward to your next stay. :-)

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed four nights in Breaker's Cay within the Grand Lucayan Resort. The twin studio room we stayed in was spacious, clean and well maintained. On site facilities were fantastic with a choice of pools and food options, tennis courts, spa, etc. Also right by the beach...so beautiful views. Wifi coverage in rooms and thought the resort, and there was good coverage for the majority of our stay. Staff throughout the resort were very friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank AusGirl12
Hello AusGirl12,

I am so thankful for your pleasant recommendation. I am so happy you had a wonderful stay and I hope you can stay again the future. :-)

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed here on a 4 nite cruise and stay last year over July4th holiday weekend with my mother and son---nice resort, pools nice, awesome view from 9th floor balcony ,big lobby porch with rocking chairs facing the ocean (you will be waiting a LONG time, read on...), had a nice dinner at Churchills in the lobby with my 8 year old son. Bahamian "parade" on the grounds with the staff in full regalia and drums, was neat. CONS: cruise ship arrived around 10 a.m. and we were all herded to the conference tables to wait on line.....we were told rooms not available/ready until 3pm (bull crap!) why do hotels always play that game, sigh....well we just waited, although you could use the pool etc, I asked around 1pm to please let us get in, well they stuck us in a 2nd floor ocean view which was BLOCKED BY PALM TREES!! and we paid in advance for ocean front! well I complained only to be told we had to wait until 3pm, and getting a run around on the phone with several people... well we schlepped our luggage down to the lobby and asked for the manager---a guest relations rep wound up helping us, after we waited another hour, then we got the 9th floor room---that is not a good way to start off a brief vacation, Grand Lucayan!!! If we ever come here again, we will fly in so we won't have to wait around...

Room Tip: make sure you get an ocean front high floor if you paid for it!! also tip is already added to your...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank spacemountainmom
Hello spacemountainmom,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. I am so sorry that we did not have a room available on one of the higher floors for you upon your arrival. If we have the rooms available before our check in time at 3PM we will assign rooms as quick as possible. But I am pleased to hear a guest relations staff member was able to assist you and assign you to the 9th floor ocean view room.

Overall, I am so happy you enjoyed a nice dinner at Churchills and got to experience the Junkanoo Band. Thank you for the feedback and I will share with our team. If you have any questions in the future please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I can't wait to go back, it was seriously one of our best trips. My husband and I got a deal on groupon for 4 nights. my mom and niece went also. The hotel is very clean. Food is not so good, but it didn't ruin our trip. it sucked because the deal didn't include food and drinks so if we got a bad meal.. we just spent $$ but hey your on vacation! but don't worry across the street is a market where you can find cool gifts and food! please go to cappuccinos! SO GOOD!!!!
we also did a tour where they took you to a cave, and a beautiful beach where the filmed parts of the pirates of the caribbean. after the tour, they took us to banana bay to eat, really good sandwiches! and they are famous for their banana bread! also by the hotel they have a banana boat tour, they take your around the hotel in a banana boat and show you beautiful houses, dolphins, and stop so you can take a dip in the water..it was really cool. our tour guide was really nice. i don't remember his name, i wish i did so i can give him a big shout out! The best part on this trip was the beach..water was warm and beautiful! i will def come back!!!!

Room Tip: 1022- beautiful view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jo K
Hey Jo!

It is so pleasant to read your recommendation! I am so happy to hear you and your family had such a great time during your stay. If you need anything in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Until we meet again! ;-)

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We went here last week as an alternate to the pricey cruise ship shore excursions. We paid a reasonable $15 adult and $7 child to come here for the day. The cab ride was $10 a person return. I thought a lot about this review because I wasn't overly impressed with the hotel, but given the price I guess we got our monies worth. We used the beach chairs, the water was not all that clear there was a lot of seaweed floating in it and they have a couple of guys who I believe work for the hotel asking you if you want to do activities every 5 minutes. The pool was big and there was lots of space, but it was very dirty, garbage, leaves and oil slick of sunscreen I guess and lots of bird feathers floating on the surface and when I went under with my snorkel gear thats all I saw was feathers. They had a nicer pool and hot tub area at the other end, but we never went it because it poured rain. The main reason we came here was to play tennisin the caribbean on a pro court, this is what they are "famous for". I went to ask if I could book the court as a day pass guest, knowing that I would have to pay $20/hr. and the "tennis pro" came across like I was bothering/interupting him, I asked if I could book the court I felt like it was putting him out when he looked at the book to see if the time I wanted was available (I was open to any time and there was barely anything on the page). I expected a more professional response, I may have even paid for lessons had he appeared to even care about my business. It was a nice pro court and nice racquets, but the balls were not that new. When the rain hit we waited and they had fooseball (kids enjoyed) and a cafe. The smell of marajuana was so sickening that we had to leave. The girl who is responsible for organizing the cabs was great, she was very friendly and good with keeping everyone moving. The rain was pouring when we left and the roof of the cab was leaking in several places with rusty water, we had to hold up our sandbuckets to keep it from raining rust on our heads for 30 min. The driver didnt have defrost either, so he could barely see while he flew through the giant puddles. I just didn't enjoy the overall experience of this island, I would not return, though my husband seemed to think it was reasonable for the money and made for a good memorable cab ride.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank L C
Good Afternoon L C,

First off, I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your day trip to our resort and it is unfortunate we did not have great weather that day. I regularly only hear good remarks about our pools and the beach but due to the weather wind may have caused a factor in the debris flying into the pool. I will notify our maintenance team to keep a better eye on the pool cleanliness after rainstorms. Lastly, I would like to apologize that our golf pro came off as unprofessional. I will be sure to mention this to our management team. Overall, I wish I could have made your day trip experience more enjoyable. If you have any other concerns please e-mail me at guestservices@grandlucayan.com.

- Bernadette Arty, Director of Guest Services
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
#12 of 14 in Freeport
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!