“Hotel was very enjoyable, just don't come for the food!”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 29 August 2009

This was a spur-of-the-moment trip for us & so I didn't do the normal amount of research that I may have normally done. That being said, I really didn't have high expectations of our stay here. All in all though, we were satisfied with our stay & it was a hotel that I would consider in the future, should we ever find ourselves in Freeport again!

Check-in was very friendly & overall we found the staff to be laid-back & happy. Our room was on the top (10th) floor & we had a wonderful view of the ocean & pool area. I believe our rate was $130/nite which seemed like a great deal to me. We ended up spending a lot of time on the balcony just enjoying the warm breeze & views, so for us, it was definitely worth the higher rate. Beds were comfortable & the room decor was blue & green "beachy" style. Our tub was slow to drain & had some rust around the edges...no big deal.

Due to the current economy, the resort was not very busy at all...rather quiet actually. Absolutely no trouble finding a spot by the pool and never had to wait more than a few minutes for a drink or food. We enjoyed the fact that it was quiet, but if you're looking for a wild, hot spot, this might not be the place for you. The pool area was very clean & the ocean is just steps away. We absolutely loved floating around out there & enjoying the wondeful, warm ocean water. (By the way, be very careful when walking around the pool area. We were surprised at how slippery it was...I was just waiting to see a kid or elderly person fall & am very glad it didn't happen!)

Prices were pretty typical for a resort, in my opinion. $5 for a can of beer, $10 or so for a cocktail, plus the mandatory 15% tip which is added on. The food at Our Lucaya was a big disappointment, & trust me, we're not snobby foodies, but we did expect more here. $6 for a plate of soggy french fries, $13 for a burger with some sort of salty asian sauce. Keep in mind this IS an island & so most everything has to be shipped in, meaning nothing tastes very fresh, at least not to me. Salads were terrible. Tomatoes were pink & "mealy" even though it's prime tomato season...you get the idea. We were here for a convention & so the hotel catered dinner on two of the nights we were there. Everything from the potatoes, to the fish, to the salad all tasted the same! I can't quite explain it but there just was on odd seasoning on everything. Oh well, at least we didn't have to worry about gaining any weight on this trip!

Overall, I felt like this was a good deal for a comfortable, quiet hotel & it provided exactly what we wanted, which was easy access to the beach & a nice pool. I would maybe recommend pursuing food outside the hotel. There are a few cafes across the street & we did have breakfast over there one morning, which was just "ok" but at least the prices were more reasonable. There is nothing beautiful or particularly memorable about this resort, so would I recommend for a honeymoon or other big event? Maybe not. But it seems to be a great place for families & people of all ages. There are also shops right across the street but I personally didn't see anything worth buying...lots of overpriced, cheap looking jewelry, etc. But this is where the hair braiding takes place, so head over there if you're looking for that!

Feel free to contact me with any questions. :)

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
5  Thank nosacrificeatall

Reviewed 26 August 2009

Just spent 3 nights at what was previously the Sheraton, it is now the Reef Village at our Lucaya. As stated in previous reviews that I have read on this web site, the rooms are dated and the bathrooms are small, however found it to be charming with bahammian charm. Truly felt like I was staying in a bahamma style hotel, as compared to a large newer high rise, like a Hyatt or Marriott type property. I did not pay any where near what it would cost to stay in a high end hotel else where, so did not expect a high end room. There are rooms at was previously the Westin (now the Raddison) which are more expensive and more updated if you prefer to pay more and have that. You do get what you pay for. However, the property is beautiful, and both hotels can use all of the pools and restaurants and both properties. I just don't understand the attitude that I want the cheapest room possible, but expect it to be a five star room.
As far as the prices for the drinks and food, it is typical resort type prices. Yes definately higher than what you would pay back in the states at a grocery store, but you are at a resort and prices are typical of any resort that I have stayed at. We did go across the street to the market place and purchase some food and drinks to have in our room. There is a mini fridge in the room, and this did help with some expenses. Ate dinner at Iries on the property, and Zorbas and an Italian restaurant across the street, (can't remember the nameof the Italian rest.) all were very good. Every night there was some type of entertainment going on in the square across the street. This was really enjoyable. The locals were here also, and were a very friendly and fun people. They were all very welcoming to us.
August was a slow time there, however there was a convention going on at the Westin, so more people over there, still did not seem overcrowed though. Was still able to get a chair at any pool or at the beach at any time of the day. The beach and water is beautiful, definately the type of water you can take a float and just float in the sun. The pool at the Raddison was beautiful right at the edge of the beach with a swim up bar. The pools at the Reef Village were very empty, and at times you would be the only person in the pool. There were at least 4 pools to choose from. Again, I would definately recommend this property, and I hope to return sometime in the future.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
9  Thank ridgetraveller
Reviewed 4 August 2009

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank TheInveterates
Reviewed 4 August 2009

With my 2 boys we stayed on the fourth floor. The service was good.. The tennis lessons that were available (the boys had a class) We had a view of Port Lucaya and visited daily.
The beach was clean and there were tons of pools to try out.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Familymatters005

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
9  Thank culdesacohio

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank satx12

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank kpcheercoach08
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
#1 of 1 in West End
Island Seas Resort
Island Seas Resort
#12 of 14 in Freeport

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!