“Great, A happy return”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 24 July 2010

Well, the second day of our vacation marked the beginning. We switched hotels earlier that day because we could not take the Viva Wyndham. We had stayed here a couple of years ago when it was still a Westin and it was nice. the room was clean and the sheets were soft. the pools were nice and cool. the resurants and shops around the hotel were awesome. this hotel is the best.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Grand Lucayan, Bahamas

Reviewed 21 July 2010

Reservations were made on May 4, 2010 for a party of five consisting of 3 adults and 2 children (13 & 11). At that time we were told that we would be able to have adjoining or adjacent ocean view rooms and were never informed that our request could not be honored. This trip was created as a package with the Bahamas Celebration Cruise Lines (see cruise reviews - eeuww!). We never recieved hotel room vouchers, nor did we know that we should have recieved them along with our cruise accomodation vouchers. Check-in at Lucaya Reef Village was chaotic. Three hours were spent between the cruise representative and the hotel desk in an attempt to provide the requested rooms. We were initially informed that we had two "island-view" - actually "service-area" views rooms. After much arguing and mis-communication between Lucaya desk and Celebration Cruise representative, we were provided with one ocean view and one service area view room. The ocean view room was acceptable while the service area room was musty and had an odor of urine. The bathroom and entry way floor was continually wet and we were told that nothing could be done about that "sweating" effect (room number 4055). After arriving at the hotel in the early afternoon and not being able to actually check-in until after Four pm, you will accept anything! I believe this weraing down of the guests is part of their marketing strategy.
The beach was beautiful and the pools were very nice and maintined well. The resort maintenance staff was very friendly and kept the grounds in good condition. One very disconcerting fact was that every day the beach was inundated with daytrippers from other cruises that were bussed in. The beautiful Bahama beach experience was transformed into a mob scene. We were also never made aware of the food voucher (AI) option . Food was expensive and mediocre at best. Interestingly enough, the advertising photograph centers on the neighboring Radisson Hotel, giving the impression that that was the resort we would be staying in. This portion of the resort is lovely, peaceful and much more appealing. We were very disappointed to say the least and the cruise portion left much to desire as well.
My primary complaint is the business model of the whole operation. It is geared toward the vulnerable and travelling naive. They catch you with the low prices and promise you the world when in actuality, guests are nickel and dimed throughout the stay. Staffs of each organization are not accountable for problems incurred and transfer them to each other creating a circle of confusion. Resolution of problems is haphazard at best. CANNOT recommend this package or resort unless you go to the Radisson. Pay more and get more!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2010

The location is great, i was on the all inclusive package and the food we had was great, but very limited, out of 5 days we had to eat at prop club 4 of them, the food was great but i would of like some variety. the drink part of the package was amazing. The rooms werent bad, they did accidently hold $800 on my debit card but had it realeased from my bank with 10 hours, i did feel like they try and get you with the all inclusive package a bit but just make sure you ask question, drink a lot, and go to prop club and ask for "big nasty" his names wally and hes a great bartender along with solomen, make sure you take care of them. and tell him you want "a big nasty" its a drink that will destroy you! tell them trey and brumie sent you! overall, ill be back, im not sure if ill stay here to another hotel, but i will be in port lucaya with in the next 2 years.

Reviewed 20 July 2010

My Husband and I spent a week at this hotel. We chose this hotel because it offered good value, was close to great snorkeling and was across the street from the Lucaya Marketplace.

The best-the beach and pools, clean, plenty of places to sit in sun, under palms or umbrellas at poolside,

The worst-There is a mini bar in the room and as we always do we planned to empty out their stuff and put our stuff in, We were warned at checkout that we would be charged for any product removed form the fridge, regardless if whether it was consumed. I have never seen this-hope it is not a trend. I always book a hotel with a fridge to save $$$ buying our own drinks and snacks.

We ate at the Friday night Carribean buffet at the hotel. It was standard resort buffet fare except for the desserts, which were above par. The rest of our meals were eaten at restaurants in the marketplace across the street. Zorba's is cheap but the service is not so good. The Afterdeck was great and we went many times. Le Med was awful. We made many visits to Frank's Ice cream-delicious. The Oasis is a small convenience store with tolerable prices and a little of everything. We visited here frequently.

We felt safe at the resort and at the marketplace. Some of the vendors in the little booths were somewhat aggressive. Tour sellers even more so. Vendors on the beach were very laid back and would just walk by unless you showed interest in their products.

The rooms were clean but in need of updating. The beds were very comfortable. Storage space was lacking. We had a balcony overlooking the ocean that afforded wonderful views.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Trystelle
Reviewed 18 July 2010

we got the room on a deal with the discovery ferry so 2 nights and boat trip was about $180- a bargain. The room was fine, clean and good size. service is slow but it's the same all over.
The public areas are nice and the pool area great for kids and adults. Seemed safe and organised.
At this price we were happy- good location near a shopping and eating area, tours organised. You have the take a deep breath when waiting as everything is slow. Wont be repeating boat trip though, too long- about 6 hours from hotel to home!

1  Thank schemie2016
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Wow, I am actually writing a review for a trip taken in the same year! So had a girls long weekend away at Our Lucaya. If you go into this expecting Motel 6 standards, yes that is what I did, then you will be OK. Go in expecting anything more, you will be disappointed.

CHECK IN: for me easy...I arrived when no one else was there so it was done effeciently, would not say quickly, but effeciently. However, if you arrive when all the cruise people arrive, you will be waiting a LONG time. Staff are friendly but SLOW. We encountered one front desk person who was snobby and a bit rude, otherwise the rest of the staff were friendly. CHECK OUT: easy and surprisingly quick; I had an early check out so no one else was in line. My charges were looked up on the computer (I chose the AI), there were none, so that was it.

ROOM: I have read many reviews about the moldy smell in the rooms. Upon entering, I did notice an odor, but it was not moldy, more like an odd cleaning solution smell? It was strong in the sheets too so I am not sure if it was the laundry soap. However, by the next morning, the smell was gone after being in the room so I am chalking that one up to the room not being occupied thus odd odors from cleaning products? Room was a bit below average. Towels and sheets were clean though, room overall could have been updated. I had a black metal chair in my room, the safe was on the very top shelf in the closet and being short (5'1") I could barely reach it. Tiles and carpet had stains, bathroom was TINY, tub had stains/marks (thank goodness I always shower with flip flops on). I did see hair from the previous customer near the faucet on the sink. I did have a fridge in my room which was useful to keep my bottled water cold.

DAILY MAID SERVICE: Wish i could say I had it daily. First day, my room was not cleaned until after 4:30 pm. Second day the cleaning person saw me return to my room after breakfast and immediately knocked on my door saying "oh I was trying to catch you before you left, will you be needing anything in your room today?" In other words "I'm not going to clean your room unless you specifically ask me to, otherwise tell me now what you need and I will give it to you and be on my way". She was friendly and went out of her way to get me fresh towels and toiletries but I knew the motive. She did this to most of the people on the floor and I could hear one father specifically saying he wanted everything done to his room that day. Third day my room was cleaned early...funny I was not left with enough towels though....

FOOD: All of the food was just OK. For the all inclusive (AI) you are limited to where and what you can eat. Breakfast is at Barracuda's and you had the same thing every morning, grits, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, muffins, cereal, toast and whole green apples. You can eat there for the buffet dinner on Friday night's ONLY. Sugar Mill out by the pool area was available for lunch and drinks...food was OK, drinks were good, I did not think they were watered down. Prop Club available for lunch and dinner, again, just OK and you are given an AI menu so limited in your choices. One thing I can say was actually GOOD was their brownie with vanilla ice cream dessert. Iries you can eat once every 3 days...it was just, well you know....OK. If you are AI, you have to sign for EVERYTHING you get, even just one bottled water and we were told if you have separate rooms, each person has to get their own ticket (which we did not know until half way through our trip).

POOL/BEACH: Two separate pools, one with the volleyball netting was a little more noisy with the kids (there is a slide that is open sometimes for them). Other pool smaller so less kids and a bit more quiet. I never had a problem finding a lounge chair. We were on the beach just one day...kinda small so it does get crowded, again lounge chairs available.

TOWELS: They run out QUICKLY. I had to go next door to the Radisson twice to get towels in the morning. You have to use a towel card too.....but the odd thing is, when the towel hut closes at 5 pm and you return your towels, you just grab a towel card and go. BTW the pool at the Radisson was nicer...lounge chairs were padded and they had umbrella's and always had towels. It was not as crowded either. You can hang at the pool but I do not believe you can eat or drink there under the AI.

AC: Air conditioning worked REALLY well in the lobby and in the hallway leading to the rooms. For me too well, but I get cold easily. AC in my room worked really well too so no complaints there.

LAUNDRY: They had two washers and two driers. You purchase tokens from the front desk, $2 each.

CURRENCY: I just took US dollars which was taken everywhere and the change I got back was in US currency.

Would I go there again? Probably not, will try somewhere else. Location was good for the marketplace across the street to eat (we did not eat there) and catch the boats for snorkeling or diving. Did do snorkeling with Sand Dollar which was good in the sense that it was not really big like Pat and Diane's or Reef tours which looked like there were at lest 75-100 people on their boats. I think we had no more than15-18 people on the catamaran so that was nice. For those who did not have snorkels, masks or fins they provided them. I cannot comment on whether or not their service was good for beginners ie: teaching you how to snorkel, fit your gear right etc, as I bring my own equipment and basically was the third one in the water and just swam way.

So if you've made it this far down on my long review, I hope it was helpful!

Reviewed 16 July 2010

My boyfriend and I just got back from a week at the Radisson. Hotel is beautiful and very clean. It was on the quieter side since it's their low season but we enjoyed that. The room was very nice and we faced the marina. Obviously not as nice of a view as the ocean side, but not bad and we weren't in the room that much. The beach and pools at the resort are very nice although the pools are very warm and not that refreshing. The casino is fun and the market place across the street has typical tourist souvenirs and many restaurants. We did get sick of the food after a while at the market place (felt like diner food all week) but it was reasonable. The people definitely aren't the friendliest I have encountered on islands before-some of them never crack a smile at you. Go to the fish fry on Wednesday night at Smiths Pointe - food is good and fun dancing with the locals and tourists. Other than that, there didn't seem to be much of nightlife. The casino had some dancing a few nights of the week and then some very casual bars in the market place. If you have never been to the Bahamas, probably better to go to Paradise or Nassau..but overall for our second trip down there, it was a great vacation!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
#12 of 14 in Freeport
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!