“Bahama Mama”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 27 August 2010

This was a last minute getaway for a really cheap price. I booked the trip on discovery cruise. I have been to freeport numerous times and I thought I was staying in a nice hotel. The check-in is horrible. The bed itself was dirty and nasty. I told them to bring me extra bedding and it was done on their time. The staff is very polite and friendly. The breakfast buffet was really good inside the hotel. The swim-up bar on the Radisson side was really cool. Everything on the island is expensive except for the drinks. The beach is nice but crowded on this end, but not so crowded on the Radisson end. Next time I will spend the extra money and stay at the Radisson (sister property). They are both on the same grounds which is nice and well kept. This hotel looks nice and the rooms are spacious and have a view of the ocean but are very nasty once inside.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RoslynF

Reviewed 26 August 2010

Overall everything was great. When we first got to our rooms everything was clean and organized. It had a great ocean view just like we booked. The AC worked perfectly and it was large and comfortable. The entire check in process was quick and the staff at the hotel was friendly and nice. They were always there to help. The all inclusive package was great. It provided all of our meals, even though we did try some of the restaurants at the Port Lucaya Marketplace. We got to know the bartender at the Prop Club very well. The hotel was great with all the amenities we needed and great access to the beach, jet ski's, snorkelling, and other activities. We also went on a nature tour of the island and went to casino for gambling and dancing. I don't have any complaints. It was a great trip and from the moment we landed our taxi was waiting for us. They even came in a limo to take us back to the airport!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2010

I am a 34 yr old female who went in Aug 2010 from thrs to mon with my mother and 18 yr old neice. I'm sure I'll skip all over the place so bear with me...Over all we enjoyed the resort and had a great time! The rooms were clean and average size (we were very lucky and snagged one right next to the lobby and got free wi-fi in the room) and the beds were *very* comfortable. Employees for the most part are very friendly and helpful. The hotel has a casino next door that had slots, table games, a bar, food menu (those two are not part of the all-inclusive package--more on that in a minute) and a small lounge where they had a show and dj. Directly across the street (within walking distance) was "The Square" which had shops, flea markets, restaurants, bars and an outdoor stage where they had live music on fri, sat and sun. We were very fortunate to have the square because the hotel was lacking in entertainment. There was only 2 day time games the entire weekend, a show on fri night at the casino, and a dj fri and sat nights at the casino also. Other tourists staying at hotels further out than us said there was even less to do at their resort and came to ours because of the casino and square. We ended up going to the bars in the square to keep us entertained, which again, is not included. All the food we ate was very delicious! The best I've had at any AI resort (been to 5 others). However, it was misleading beforehand of which restaurants were included. Here's the breakdown: Breakfast-only 1 restaurant and the only buffet 6-11:30am and same food every day. Grits, super yummy muffins, cereal, mass pot of scrambled eggs, bacon and potatoes. $10 per person. (anytime you ordered *anything* they gave you a receipt to sign and automatically factor in a 15% tip-so they get tipped on what they actually sold. Not everyone was on AI plan. Those people actually pay or charge to their room account at that time) Lunch 12-4:30pm-beach side grill-hamburgers, hotdogs, fruit. Barracudas-small menu of hotdog, sandwich, ummm don't remember what else-not much though. Prop club-again small menu of choices-sandwiches and such but different from Barracudas. Definitely try the mac n cheese! Super yummy with a little bit of kick! Dinner 5-11pm-barracudas is only open on fridays! Was a buffet with delicious food. Chicken, fish, steamed vegetable, mac n cheese-'normal' foods with good flavor. Isies-you can only go here every 3rd night of your stay. In a beautiful victorian-esque home. More bohemian type fare. We got appetizers, ox tail, beef stir fry and chicken breaded and stuffed with feta and chorizo and dessert(not the best). Would have set us back $155 but once again, delicious. Prop club-GET THE RIBS!! Amazingly delicious! Basically, if you're on the AI plan, your menu options are smaller but you can still order off the regular menu but be charged for it-never did this so can't give you my input. Not all alcoholic drinks are included. I tried to order a Kahula so it's probably top shelf that's not included-I'm not a big drinker so didn't ask too many questions. Drinks at the square were fairly cheap-$2.50 beers and shots strating at $1 (flavored rum and such). No cover charges to get into any of the places. Neptunes was fun for dancing but Rum Runners was my favorite because we got to met some locals there and had so much fun! It's just a very low key bar. There is no food or drink available at the hotel after 11pm unless you do room service and of course that's not included. There is a Dominos pizza in the square open til maybe 1am. A lot of the stores shut down at odd hours also-couldn't figure out their hours or if they would even be open. I kept all the receipts and for the 3 of us for 5 days it came to $785. That's including soda and water but only about 5 alcoholic drinks and the rest food. Was actually resonably priced for 1)a resort and 2)the Bahamas. The beach was beautiful. They never charged us for a lounge chair but did overhear them on the last day charging some $10 and some $20-never figured out why. There was a volleyball net and the outfitters right there to sign you up for excursions-we didn't do any. I liked the look and layout of this resort better than the Radisson next door-although I think they had more restaurant choices with their AI. I was very pleased with the resort (and the food, after we figured out how it AI plan worked there) and it was just about perfect for my group-maybe not if I went with my girlfriends though.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank tammyVA
Reviewed 20 August 2010

My husband and I travelled to the Bahamas for my work in Feb. of this year. My company had booked the trip a year in advance when the property was a Westin. We were excited, as we've consistently had nice stays at Westin properties. When we learned two months prior to the trip that the Radisson had purchased the property - we were nervous.

The hotel lobby is lovely with rocking chairs and high ceilings - very Westin like.

Our room was quite nice as well - beautiful view, recently updated, comfortable bed

That's where the pleasantries stop. With the exception of where my colleagues and I were staying (the tower building shown in the picture), the rest of the resort seemed abandoned.
75% of the resort could have been boarded up, as it had not been occupied in years seemingly.
There was only one restaurant available to eat at during the day - which after several days grew tired.
While in the spa receiving a Westin-priced treatment, there was a water main break and flood. Unfortunately, I did not get my money back nor was I able to reschedule, as they did not have enough staff to accommodate my work group.

The pool servers were truly on island time and only attentive when they were literally followed and/or tracked down - generous gratuities did not improve your position.

Finally - the weather in the Bahamas in February is not tropical which made the trip less than ideal

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Beachy7933
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Nice friendly staff, The rooms are a nice size. You are near a market, and can buy drinks from the market. The hotel staff is very friendly and nice. You can walk right unto the beach.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I'm used to being treated as royalty when I pay in advance for all of my meals and drinks with an all-inclusive package. Our Lucaya Reef Village makes it very clear that the all-inclusive customers are second class.

When I travelled to Mexico all-inclusive, I had tacos off site once. When I was in Jamaica, I never ate off the resort. At Our Lucaya Reef Village, at least half of my meals were paid for elsewhere.

There are good restaurants on location, but with the "all-inclusive" package you are only allowed one free meal for every 3 days spent at these places. At all restaurants, even the crappy pool bar, bar, there is a 4-page menu for regular people, and a 1 page limited selection for all-inclusive people.

If you are on the all-inclusive package and you want to drink alcohol, your selection is equally limited. Sorry, Jack Daniels is "top shelf" and you'll have to drink Jim Beam with your diet coke. No limes most days. Beer is limited to a brand from Freeport and a brand from Nassau. Bud Light and Miller Lite are FIVE BUCKS A CAN.

I understand the concept of "Caribbean Time" but when you order beers, the bartender will walk away from the jockey box, come back 10 minutes later, pull out your beers, and then make you wait 10 more minutes while they go print a receipt that you must sign EVERY SINGLE ROUND. There is no such thing as running a bar tab on the all-inclusive package, as it seems they're doing their best to make you hate the program.

The Wi-Fi Internet is crap. There are at least 3 different networks, and the only place I found to get a reliable signal is the main lobby which is usually filled with people not even staying at the resort because cruise ships drop off tons of people every day. A lot of the staff seems extremely grumpy, and based on the rules of the place, I feel sorry that they're stuck in the middle of this battle between management and customers. The few smiling people there will give you advice on things to check out in town like the International Marketplace. Silly me for listening, 75% of the stores were abandoned and boarded up. Totally depressing.

If you're on a cruise ship that dumps you off there for a day, you'll probably have fun, but if you stay on site for more than a day or two, and especially if you go all-inclusive, you are wasting your money and vacation time. Go somewhere else. Anywhere else.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2010

Usually I travel with my girlfriend, but given her work schedule, I thought I might do something I never do...take a few days away (three nights) by myself. Discovery Cruise Lines was offering a nice deal, and even though I still had to pay for double occupancy, it seemed like a good idea. It was.

Lucaya Reef was beautiful in every way. Check in was no problem and I was offered a very nice upgrade...beautiful room with a balcony and nice view of the beach. The room (Fifth Floor) itself was large and comfortable. Everything worked perfectly...air conditioning, TV, Internet access (free), the fridge, the safe, bathroom...all was ideal. The cleaning staff was very polite and always there should you need anything, including an ashtray for the balcony. On the last day I requested a late checkout and without question was given another four hours.

The entire facility was clean and tidy. They do a big turnaround and I was more than impressed at how well they handled the flow. Since it was just before school began, there were a number of children but nothing annoying. The pool was very nice. The beach was also nice and swept each morning. The water was beautiful although a bit choppy. If you like to snorkle, book a day trip...I had my flippers on most of the time and enjoyed it, but if you want an on-site reef, go to Wyhndam Fortuna. Sea-shells were not to be found either, but I did enjoy jogging up and down the beach.

I did not do the all-inclusive deal and am somewhat glad I did not. Actually, I never ate on the grounds. While I wandered around the main property next door, most things were closed being off-season. The Prop-Club was always there beachside to offer general food at what I consided to be reasonable prices. Another restaurant was within the building but did not seem to be well attended. In the Lobby there is a stand to find coffee, danish, sandwiches or beer throughout the day. A general shop is also there to grab whatever you might have forgotten, including snacks, soda and the like. Generally, while I have read otherwise, the prices seemed fair in regard to the setting. Golf course right next door.

One of the big draws was the Port Lucaya Market just across the street. Mostly comprised of shops, it also had a slew of restaurants/bars. Prices were perhaps a bit high depending upon what you are used to, but nothing to complain about if you are only there for a few days. Yes, they do have a Subway, a Quiznos and a Dominos if you simply wish to take something back to your room. I would usually go by each day and grab a few beers (not cheap) at one of the three liquor stores and bring them back to my fridge. But thats just me. There are also two straw markets on either side of the Market and given what I have seen elsewhere, the vendors were not overly aggressive.

If you like to gamble, you can stumble right out the door and into a clean Casino. I was only there twice and played $5 Blackjack tables with so-so results. The tables themselves do not open till about 6PM but the slots are open all day. Ask at the hotel deak for (if you haven't already gotten one) a coupon for a $10 Slot match-play you can get by simply signing up the the free Player's Club.

Travel to and from the hotel is about 10 minutes from the port, and I believe about the same from the airport. Taxis run $10-15. I got transfers so I cannot say for certain.

Overall my experience there was active yet relaxing. It would have been even better with someone else, but I cannot say how much I was impressed with the staff and the facility. If you get a good deal, grab it. I am thinking about going back next week!

Any questions, please let me know. Enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
Lighthouse Pointe at Grand Lucayan Resort - All Inclusive
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!