Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
US$222
Cancelon
TripAdvisor
3,052 results
All reviewschina beachacross the streetbreakers cayocean viewinfinity poolcigar barall inclusive packagelighthouse pointcruise shipday passbeautiful resortgrand celebrationall inclusive planswim up barthe check in processbanana boatper person
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 October 2010

I like the hotel employees. We had a wonderful time in Freeport. The hotel was great and the location fantastic. The restaurants was wonderful place and with terrific service.. Great dinner at the Zorbas in Lucaya. Freeport people are very kind and friendly. The hotel was very quiet and very clean. Hope we can return again next year. Thanks again for all your help and attention.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Rosymaria18
Reviewed 1 October 2010

This is my third trip to Grand Bahama Island. The first was at the Jack Tar all-inclusive on West End, the second was at the then Holiday Inn which is now the Reef Village and the third at the Reef Village with my 18 year old granddaughter. The staff was so friendly and eager to help. We didn't eat at the hotel much because we enjoyed eating most of our meals at the restaurants at the Our Lucaya Marketplace. The pools were clean with ample lounges. The beach was outstanding again with ample lounges - free. Towels were available with a card from the room. We did not use the tour desk in the hotel because we had made friends natives with a tour kiosk on the dock and got great service from them. All in all, it was a wonderful senior trip for my granddaughter and a delight for me.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Kay77062
Reviewed 27 September 2010

The hotel itself is a far walk from where you check in. They have a Starbucks on the first floor but the smell of coffee mixed with warm sea air( feels like no ac in this section) is nauseating. Mold in showers. They have balcones but you can't use them because there are so many ac units out side the window you can't talk.

Checking in and out is a long wait. No organization from the front desk here.

When you eat at the resturants at this resort they automatically include 15% tip. Therefore, no incentive for waitresses to do a good job.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank sellright
Reviewed 25 September 2010

This is not a place to visit during September, the place was virtually deserted. Staff was very unfriendly and half of the restaurants were closed, or either not available on the all exclusive plan we purchased. We booked our trip through Cheap Carribean.com, and do not feel that we were given fair representation of the Bahamas. Very few tours to chose from and even those were misrepresented. Also the hotel provided absolutely no nightlife. For all of my negative responses, I must say the hotel grounds were very nice with beautiful pools and beaches.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2010

This cruise was booked through Ramada Inn Plaza Resorts, Fort Lauderdale, FL with meals and hotels included. We encountered multiple problems before we ever arrived at Lucaya including: 1. Initially, we were given the wrong passport requirements which caused a month delay in our scheduled trip. In doing so, according to other reviews, we lucked out when we did not have to stay at the Ramada Plaza in Fort Lauderdale. We had a wonderful room at Sheraton Suites instead although even the Sheraton was located on the "bad side of town" by the interstate. Although the hotel was nice, the meal vouchers were not valid at the Sheraton; therefore, we commuted to the Ramada for our meals. 2. I was told my meals were included at Lucaya, but the Welcome Center denied this. After a lengthy wait on my personal cell phone, I finally spoke to a manager and got the issue resolved. 3. The Welcome Center told me the timeshare presentation would be in Ft. Lauderdale. Upon my arrival there, they informed me that I was supposed to be in West Palm Beach. They also indicated the presentation would last 2 hrs. Instead, it was SIX whole hours long.

Upon arrival at Lucaya, there was an extended line at checkin. There were approximately two hundred people waiting in line at one time for checkin with about six employees actually checking people in. People were irritable to say the least, and it took at least an hour to complete the checkin process.

We found our suite at Lucaya to be satisfactory. The biggest problem was with the meal vouchers which allowed us to eat breakfast at Barracudas, but lunch and dinner were limited to Sugar Hill and Prop Club. We could choose to eat at Sugar Hill, but, trust me, that place requires a fly swatter and a pellet gun. They had more flies there than the city dump. When I was not afraid of catching a fly in my mouth while taking a bite, I had to be worried about a flock of birds flying off with my plate. They could film a remake of the movie "Birds, Pt. 2" there. If they required a health rating (which they do not), it would have been minus one hundred.

We decided after the first trip to Sugar Hill and finding a fly in my fries, that we better try the Prop Club. We were given a limited menu that contained only three or four items with the meal vouchers. Others received a full menu. Also, a person needed to be "part camel" because the lemonade was watered down and the glass was the size of a big thimble. It took an act of Congress to get a refill. We had to wait an hour for our food and finally got up and left. Unfortunately, there were no other restaurants to choose from on the meal vouchers, so we had to return to the Prop Club. We were treated like second class citizens because of the meal vouchers. The Prop Club was an old gas station with surrounding bay doors that didn't close properly which allowed extremely brave birds to fly freely and frequently throughout the restaurant. Between bites, I had to shoe birds away from the table. The air conditioner duct was dripping water on our heads while eating. The service was quite pitiful to be honest.

The resort was rather secluded with no entertainment. There was limited shopping but each booth had the same merchandise. It reminded me of a flea market.

I hope you don't get hit by a shark because I had an accident, cut my toe, and called the hotel doctor. Although it was 12:01 AM, I was informed the doctor does not take calls after midnight. Make certain you don't swim after midnight.

If I was ever trying to find a way to make a killing, I would open a fly swatter factory and pellet gun manufacturing company in Freeport, and would be a multi-millionaire immediately.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple