“Two couples spent one week at the resort”

Taino Beach Resort & Clubs
Middletown, Delaware
“Two couples spent one week at the resort”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My wife and I and another couple spent a week at the Taino Beach Resort on Grand Bahama Island (June 8 to June 15). We stayed in the Marlin section. Our friends stayed in the older Ocean building. The following is our report:

Check in: We all arrived early at 2:30 PM for a 4 o'clock check in. We asked for an early check in and our friends were able to get to their room by 3:30. We were delayed and did not get entry until 4:30.

Rooms: The Marlin is the newest and nicest section. The room was actually two rooms, a large living room and kitchen and a separate bedroom. There was also a very nice deck with a good pool view. The quarters were very clean and nicely furnished and equipped. The Ocean section is older, smaller (although our friends had a loft, two sleeping areas, two bathrooms and a hot tub). Their view was not as nice. On the whole the Marlin was excellent. The Ocean was okay.

The pool: The pool was outstanding. It was skimmed and cleaned every morning. It had a swim up bar, three grotto caves, a lazy river, a swallow children's section and a great slide. There was an adjacent hot tub. The pool was probably the largest in all the Bahama Islands.

The restaurant: Good food, good service, reasonable prices (15% tip added automatically), great porch near the water.

The grounds: Beautifully landscaped.

The beach: Just steps away from all the units. It was never crowded, had plenty of good lounges and a series of shelters for shade. You can rent kayaks, banana boat rides and jet skis right on the beach. Venta, a very nice Bahamian, can braid your hair or sell you some local jewelry. I bought four necklaces at very reasonable prices. There was good snorkeling in the canal. We saw a lion fish, three sting rays and many, many fish.

On the whole this was one of the best vacations that I have taken in 45 years of traveling.

Room Tip: Say in the Marlin
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Edward F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Ok, this will be a mixed review. I booked under the Armed Forces Vacation Club. If you are a military card holder, I recommend this resort only using the Armed Forces Vacation Club because for the price of $349.00 for the week you can not beat it. However if I had to pay the retail price, I would have been disappointed in the service and overall attitude of the staff.

Lets start out on the positive - The room was great in its overall appearance. clean, neat and modern. For a single room there was a large garden tub with jets (I did not use it) but it looked nice. The bathroom is large and there is plenty of closet space. Safes are included and the television is a nice size.

They do have a large pool and it is kept clean. The restaurant is also on site and is average. But you get to look out at the ocean when dining outside. Very serene and peaceful. There is a small market across the street at their sister property.

On site you can rent jet skies - however, if they do not have two or more people to go out, then you don't get to go. I as a single person though I paid the $157 for the tour, waited 4 days and at the end of the day, I was given a refund because there was no one else scheduled to go. I think that should have been told to me prior to taking my credit card. But hey at least they refunded it.

On site you can rent bicycles for $20 per day. (24 hour day) which was nice. I rode to port lucaya to see my friends at CocoNutz Cruisers and it was a nice excursion. I used the bike the next day to get my exercise on and rode to Taino Beach and around the local area. Very nice

You can take the ferry from the Resort to Port Lucaya for a round trip ticket that cost $6. The ferry ride is about 10 minutes. You can walk it (approximately 2 miles) in about 45 minutes. It is a very nice walk. I did it 4 days of the 7 I was there. Bring water and where a hat.

The food at the resort is average and a bit pricey. Beware, I personally tip wherever I go, however for the Bahama's they include a mandatory 15% gratuity on all dine in meals throughout the island. For me if you establishment does this then I feel you only think your employees deserve %15 percent regardless of their level of service. So, that is all I paid since it was included in every bill I received. Sorry, but when You take my choices away from me, you get what you asked for.

For the Funny - during the first two days, I thought I was going blind... I would get up in the night and turn on the lights and they were dim. At first I thought I was loosing my sight and it freaked me out. On the second day, the lights again seemed dim, but it was in the morning. However after about 20 minutes they got brighter. So, note to self. The lights are on a timer. If you have them on for a short while, they are very dim. After about 20 minutes they go to their full strength. Very strange and scary at first if no one tells you this happens. LOL.

Now for the not so great - The queen sized bed in room 5201 was lumpy on the left side and hard on the right. So I slept in the middle.

While there I smelled marijuana on the first floor in room 4205 on day while walking by going out to the pool. I informed the head housekeeper and she promptly got security and they took care of the problem. However, after sitting down in the lounge area outside, a man approached me and after saying hello, asked me if I wanted to purchase weed. This again made me go to the head housekeeper immediately and she again got security and escorted the drug dealer off the property. She said he must have come up from the beach. Well the beach extends for miles. I feel they should have security stationed somewhere out there as well not just at the front entrance. The Security officer who took my report was a young kid. After writing the report he had me review it. Let's just say it was filled with so many typo's I had to rewrite it myself and then sign it. Not very professional. However he did state it was his first report he ever had to make. After pondering what I had just done' Narked on a drug dealer, I requested an escort the next day on my daily walk to Port Lucaya by one of the security guards. That was very nice and gave me a measure of comfort that all would be well with me during my stay. I only used them on the first day and after I felt secure proceeded to walk alone the rest of my stay with no problems. Hey you never know. Better to be safe than sorry. Especially when traveling alone.

In the literature, the resort states they offer Free Rum punch on arrival. Well let me clarify this. If you arrive any time before 4:00 pm. there is no punch offered. Punch is only put out between 4pm and 6pm. So if you are like me and arrive at 11:00 a.m. You are out of luck. Again, I think since everyone arrives at the resort at different time, parched after that long flight, Rum punch and water should be available all through out the day. Check in is at 4pm, but to wait 5 hours to get a free drink is kind of ridiculous.

Now for the truly aweful - We are told between 10:00 p.m and 8:00 am. to put our trash outside our doors in the bags. Ok that sounds convenient until the following happens. After putting out the trash the night before, upon waking up in the morning and stepping outside, I found that a critter had gotten into my and my neighbors trash. Lobster tails from their room and chicken wings from mine were strewn across my threshold.

Now that in itself is not so bad, things happen. How the staff related to it is another matter. Short story, when I went to the front desk and told them about it at 7:00am. I was told, sorry the maids don't come on until 8:00 am. so it would be taken care of then. I stated what is the maid over there doing? I was informed she was designated to only clean the lobby of the front desk. Well after going around and around the security officer stepped in and after going around and round with him he agreed to come up to my floor and check it out. Once there, he again went around and round stating that there was nothing he could do. As I got louder and louder in my outrage, he finally said wait one moment. Now check this out. He went down stairs, got a broom, trash bag and dustpan and cleaned it up. Hmmm this entire episode took 30 minutes to resolve all the while I was made to feel that I was being unreasonable. Hmmm very unprofessional. Even the head housekeeper said so after I told her what happened after the weed incident. Pictures are included for your review.

Unless you stay 2 weeks there is no room service. You have to bring your dirty laundry down to the laundry room on the 5th floor and switch it out yourself. You have to keep your room clean your self and if you ask for them to clean it there is an additional charge.

You must pay $115 to $165 for electricity upfront upon check in. So I kept the lights turned on all day and all my electronics plugged in. What the heck I paid for it.

Also you are charged up front a $100.00 security deposit which they refund upon checkout. I suggest paying by cash versus credit card that way you get it back immediately upon checkout.

Also, when using your credit card in the Bahama's be mindful that regardless of your bank, the Bahamians charge service fees on all credit and debit transactions. Anywhere from .35 cents to $2.00. It is best just to use cash, or else return home to include all the fees which are not on the receipts in your calculations which is what I had to do.

They do have activities like the bon fire buffet which is not for kids. There is much drinking and foolery that goes on.

The fashion show was nice and the vendors there have a variety of things to purchase during the show. I purchased a wonderful shea butter lotion; in fact after using it, I purchased 2 more to bring home. It is wonderful and keeps your skin very moist and supple.

After the drug incidents an the waste episode, I stayed away from the resort as much as possible. I hung out with my new friends at their booth in Port Lucaya at CocoNutz Crusiers.

However for $349.00 it was a very good price to stay in the Bahamas for a week. So overall it was an ok trip and resort.

Room Tip: Stay on the first floor facing the pool.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
20 Thank infoctrl
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My brother was married on the beach on March 22. We had a blast! The beach and pool was so wonderful and relaxing. The food was great! Had to get on a ferry to get to the restaurants, loved that! I honestly was taken back a bit with the price of everything. But I was not at all suprised. You should be prepared to spend money on food and drinks. The resort offered us a grocery run. That was the worse thing! We got sandwich meat, bread, cheese, 12 pack of water, half gallon of milk and juice.- over 100 bucks!!!! I honestly would have given it all 3 if it wasn't The wonderful people and the wonderful beach

2 Thank LDW1025
Deanshanger, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We spent one week at the Taino Beach before moving on to Nassau, and have had a wonderful time on both Grand Bahama and Nassau.
Our stay was an RCI exchange, and although we only used a few of our total points,
we got what we “paid” for.
The Ocean rooms, as others have reported are in need of urgent remodelling, as the Americans, would say. They are tired and locked in a time warp, but still very comfortable large airy, well equipped and have lovely balconies.
If we had known, we would have paid extra to get hot water. Is it an optional extra???
It is very much a joke that the hotel professes to be going green, and guests are asked to conserve water.
To get a lukewarm shower, at times one has to run the all the taps in the bathroom and kitchen for up to 10 minutes, (this is not an exaggeration, I timed it…I know I should get out more!) prior to a cool shower. This is crazy and very annoying!
The good points:
The grounds beach and all the facilities are really beautiful, and the pool area is a fabulous place to use.
The staff are more than courteous, and very willing, not as reported by others.
The reception staff are of the highest order, going that extra mile to ensure that you have a great time.
The pricing for drinks is somewhat quirky, 2 cans of Sands beer in the pool bar, are nearly the same as one costs in the beach restaurant, again can this be right???
And yes it is annoying to have 15% gratuity added to every bill, and then have an optional tip on bar slips.
When staying you should try walking along the beach to Tony Macoroni’s conch shack, a really great experience, and he is as he states “the self proclaimed most interesting guy on the island.”
A visit to the fish fry at Smith’s Point is again not to be missed, but do be prepared to queue (get in line) as the service is again somewhat quirky.
Overall we had a great time.

Room Tip: Avoid to older rooms
2 Thank Andy L
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I'm really not aware of what the other reviewers here see to warrant the glowing reviews I've read. I just return from a week and I couldn't wait to leave! The only thing this location has going for it is the beach and the pool. Be prepared to spend a LOT of money for everything. The Bahamas doesn't produce anything, so it all has to be imported so it's pricey and that goes for everything at the resort as well. I had the misfortune of coming down with a cold. I finally broke down and bought a bottle of cough/decongestant medicine - $25 for a 5oz bottle, candy bar $2, pringles $5. I echo another reviewers caution about tipping. The resort imposes a mandatory 15% gratuity and as such there is no incentive by the staff to provide good service (frankly they never have anyway). Many of the beach loungers are broken. The thatch beach shelters don't look like they've been rethatched in years (come on Taino, the palm fronds are free for the picking all over the island!). Wo be unto you if you stay in the Ocean or the Coral. They haven't had any renovations that I can determine. Pink floors, pink walls, pink ceiling, mirrored walls everywhere, and a green toilet, thrift store quality kitchen utensils and cookery. I could go on, and on, and on, but just thinking about it makes me angry all over again. I will simply upload my pictures and you can judge for yourself. My one other pet peeve is that they STILL do not have any kind of fitness center and no immediate plans that I'm aware of to add one. Activity wise they offer very little. There's a place next door where you can rent jet skis for $140 an hour I think but that only gives your wallet a workout. I do not recommend the restaurant. The service is very lax and the food is mediocre at best. Your best bet is taking the ferry to Port Lucaya where there are a fair number of restaurants to choose from with better menu options and better (by Bahamian standards) service.

Taxis - while the tourism ministry would like you to believe that they taxis all have meters, they don't. My advice is to try and meet up with another group at the airport while you're waiting for your luggage then when you exit you can all split the cost of the taxi. According to the tourist guide the taxi ride from the airport should cost roughly $16 for the 10 mile trip. Of course I've never once seen a taxi with a meter, and every driver rips you off for $25 flat. So you're better served by grouping up because almost all of the taxi's are 6-9 passenger vans. If the taxi has no meter, I'll pay their $25 but no tip because they've virtually added a $9 tip from the start.

Room Tip: If you do go, make certain that you get a poolside room - they all have balconies. Some channel sid...
5 Thank Dolthack

Travellers are raving about these Freeport hotels

USA
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We just returned from a wonderful stay at this resort. This was an RCI exchange for a week but we just stayed for 4 days.

The resort is clean, beautiful and well maintained with a nice pool and well manicured grounds. The resort has 3 bldgs: Marlin (renovated), Coral and Ocean. We stayed at the Marlin in a 1 bedroom unit. The unit was large with a full kitchen, bedroom, good size bathroom with a shower and an L shaped balcony. Our unit was on the 4th floor (elevator to the 3rd and some stairs to the 4th). The resort has a restaurant, couple of bars and the most gorgeous white sand beach with turquoise waters. There are several cabanas and plenty of loungers.

We had lunch at the restaurant once but then went on the grocery run (costs $4.00) and stocked up on drinks and food items. The Ferry to Port Lucaya leaves from the Flamingo (sister property) and costs $3/p/p RT. Port Lucaya marketplace has plenty restaurants, bars and shops, worth a visit.

The Negatives: Taxi costs $25/each way from the airport which is a rip off compared to other caribbean and mexican destinations.
The check in is SLOW and the front desk staff lacks in PR and does not care for the clients. Check in is at 4pm and even the resort was almost empty (15% occupancy when we arrived) they made us wait till 4 telling us that the unit was not ready! We arrived from the US at 10am. There is no maid service during the week so not sure why the rooms are not ready when someone checks out. Dealing with the front desk staff is frustrating because they are very rigid but act like they want to help but in reality they don't. The concierge/bellman/assistant seems very partial to anyone that tips a lot, otherwise does not care! RCI needs to take care of this checkin process delays. People end up waiting till 4-5pm no matter when they arrive and how full or empty the resort is.
Resort charges $145.00 fee + a $100 deposit + $10 per pool towel.

Other than that, once you are in, it is relaxing, beautiful and a great place to be at. We would like to go back again.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor in the Marlin bldg unless they renovate the other 2 bldgs.
2 Thank Texas06
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We just got back from a week in the the Coral at Taino Beach Resort and Clubs. We were in a one bedroom/one bath unit that had a really nice balcony overlooking the pool. What can I say about the pool -- touted to be the best one on Grand Bahama island, and I believe it. It had a lazy river, waterslide, swim up bar, shallow area for kids, lounging beds in the water, and a few small caves -- we spent time at the pool every day. The people in Bahama were extremely friendly and we felt safe everywhere we went. Valentine Lewis at the resort was great -- he was even going to play tennis with us and was very helpful. We went kayaking in their National Park through mangrove trees, which was a lot of fun. All in all, a great vacation.

Room Tip: Get a one or two bedroom. The Studios had no balconies and just one window overlooking the parking...
Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple