“Good News for the Optimistic”

Taino Beach Resort & Clubs
A TripAdvisor Member
“Good News for the Optimistic”
Reviewed 2 September 2004

After reading all of the reviews, I too was a little doubtful about our upcoming trip. We were there from July 24th -July 29th. The best thing is that our costs were minimal. Our friends who own with RCI gifted us a week. That meant that our room including utility fees was approximately $60/night. Not bad at all for a Resort with a spa tub, kitchenette, and beautiful marble tile. We were on the 4th floor (penthouse) with a nice view. I came prepared with all of my RCI paperwork for the staff and it seemed to make them happy that at least we tried to follow instructions. We were nice to the staff and they were nice to us.

Our room was extremely clean. The kitchenette was well stocked with appliances, dishes, pots, glasses, and silverware. Everything worked including the telephone, air conditioning, tv/vcr, jacuzzi tub, etc.

Housekeeping was very timely. We received towels daily. The first 2 days...I had to request towels. After that, the towels came regularly. Since, we did quite a bit of cooking, housekeeping washed our dishes daily. : ) I loved that. We tried to be extremely nice by expressing our appreciation each time they came. We left a nice tip on our last night at the resort.

Things I didn't know: pre-paid calling cards are not allowed. Don't even bring one. Calling rates back to the states are ridiculous.

Don't expect a 5 star hotel. It's not one. The beach is beautiful. The pool was gorgeous. The ferry for $25/per person per week was excellent.

For me, it was a nice relaxing vacation. I was 32 weeks pregnant at this time. My husband and I just wanted a quick get away. We brought an icechest filled with cold drinks, snacks, spaghetti fixings, taco fixings, etc. Remember the weight limit for each piece of luggage is 50 pounds.

The Ritz fit the bill for our trip. If you want something fancier, then perhaps the Ritz isn't for you. The staff was courteous and friendly. The restaurant I enjoyed the most was the Pub at Port Lucaya. The shrimp is EXCELLENT! The restaurant at the Casino was o.k. too. Finally, the International Plaza was fun. We ate inside one of the hotel restaurants. The food was good. I had a huge fruit platter for lunch which was divine.

We rode the ferry, taxi cab, and bus during our stay. All of these means of transportation are RUSTIC. I was very surprised by that. Our room at the Ritz was very nice. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The baby is due in 5 days! : )

20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Reviewed 22 August 2004

Well I just returned from the ritz. After reading some reviews i decided to hope for the best but expect the worst. My husband and I got married in June. His father and his wife have timeshares with RCI so decided to let us use this for our honeymoon. We were really excited to find a week there on short notice at this "5 star resort". Then I started reading the reviews on here. I prepared as much as I could. I bought lots of grocerys from home. The resort gives complimentery runs to their grocery store a couple times when you first get there but the prices are outragous on some things. Checkin is not until 4:00pm buit we got there at 3:00 and you can put your name down and they call you in order of who got there first. I read if your nice to the staff they will be nice back. Well when we got to the desk and they said they "upgraded" us I thought it worked. No it sure didn't. We origionally were going to be in the new section of the hotel (which i did not find out till later) but they moved us to the old section and the upgrade was an extra bedroom. Why when they know 2 people are staying the room thy would consider this an upgrade i do not know. Well we get to our room and I would have to say it was dirty. The bathrooms wern't cleaned great. I found old hair in the showers, mold etc. When I called the hotel i was told there are safes in the room. I come to find out thats only true if your in the new section. After reading what some people has to say i packed a lot of cash to avoid using my credit card and almost cried when i thought of not being able to lock up our money and my jewlrey. Luckily we had a lock for luggage so we just kept our valuables locked in the luggage. The beds are uncomfortable. Its a thin matress on wood. The walls are thin. we could hear our neighbors fighting and when we would be banging around in the kitchen they could hear it so they would bang back. People bug you a lot to come to their lunchs or breakfest or whatever to sell you stuff. The lady would come bugging us at 8 in the morning then there was a guy who would call and once after my husband said I'll talk to my wife he was up to our room within 2 minutes asking if he had talked to me yet. The maids like to come early and some don't wait long after their first knock to come in. Considering we were on our honeymoon this gave us some interesting situations sometimes. Also the old part of the hotel still has key entry instead of those cards so we kept the latch always secured on the door. On day the maid decided to come in while she knocked the first time and pushed hard enough she broke the latch right off the door! That was definatly a safty issue with me. It takes awhile to get the hotel to do stuff for you. We didn't get towels for awhile because the maid didnt leave any in our room when we got there and the second day we were still sleeping when she came so she said she would come back and never did. We called for towels they said they would send someone. They never did so we call and they say come down. By the time we go down they say they have no clean towels but will see what they can do. We didnt get towels till the next day. It also took a very long time to get someone to look at the door when the latch broke or when the cable went out. The pool is very nice. It was never overcrowded. The swim up bar is a little pricey, they are supposed to have happy hour between 3 and 6 everyday. I ordered a malibu and pineapple and a bahama mama and that was $12.50! I would hat e to see what it was when its not happy hour. also it is supposed to stay open till 6:30 but closed by 5 everyday we were there. You are supposed to return your towels by 5 everyday but we kept ours. I never saw anyone working on construction on the new part of the hotel. You can ride the ferry to Port Lucaya for $25 all week. We went everyday there is lots of shopping and places to eat. We tried a couple different places but our favoprite place to eat and have drinks is The Pub at Port Lucaya. It has great service and extremly fast and moderatly priced. Luckily there are many exciting things to do outside of the Hotel area so it was still a great experiance going there. It definatly wasn't the carefree honeymoon I was hoping for, but being there with my husband was wonderful. All in all I would say if I was offered a chance to go back to this resort I would say NO. Feel free to email me at DanielleFoss@hotmail.com if you have any questions.

• Stayed August 2004
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 August 2004

As timeshare owners in the Poconos, we were able to exchange into the Ritz Beach Resort the first week of August, 2004. We had been there 5 years earlier and noticed much more construction had been started (as per the plans we viewed on our last trip when they tried fiercely to sell us a week) but the construction seemed halted. We were there for the week, and saw no work being done. Could this be due to the weather, or workers, or lack of funding over the years? The unit we stayed in was of the same quality we experienced 5 years ago. It's a good thing to see a resort maintaining itself. The pool was clean and bright and inviting. We witnessed the pool cleaning staff scrubbing the tile at the edge of the pool water - a very important step in keeping a pool clean, but one that is often overlooked at other resorts. The underwater cave bar was finally open and fun.
The worst thing about the units is that they are all LOCK-OUTS, which means there are connecting, un-sound-proofed doors to 4 units. And if you have discourteous neighbors, you will hear their conversations, radios and TV's all day long and into the wee hours of the morning. We had to relocate from sleeping on the first floor, to sleeping in the loft, where there is no connecting door, and where it was heavenly quiet. It was lovely up there, but I am not crazy about those spiral staircases! I called and complained about the noise, and the staff suggested I call security and they would speak to the other guests about the problem. We decided to stay upstairs (bed, tv, shower, toilet) for the remainder of the week. We were fine. But if we had another couple with us, they would not have been happy to stay in the lower quarters, next to such noise.
The food at the nearby Taino Restaurant was scrumptious and moderately priced. Chicken Fingers were $9.50, Sirloin Steak was $14.95, Honey BBQ Spareribs were $10.95. Portions were generous. Side orders are $2.00 for French Fries or Peas and Rice, or a Baked Potato or Vegetables. You could eat on their Seaview Terrace overlooking a beautiful ocean, or indoors in airconditioning. Breakfast and Lunch are also available. This restaurant is a great convenience. When the storm came and took out our power, it was restored within an hour, luckily. But we didn't trust the weather to ferry to other restaurants in the Marketplace across the channel, so we stayed local. The staff is very friendly and attentive.
We did encounter huge roaches, the size of Buicks, here and there on the property, but only one showed up in our closet, probably came in with the vacuum cleaner. I asked to have the carpet vacuumed upstairs, they left me the vacuum. Ha...ok. I'll do it. :)
A lot of timeshare week sales campaigning going on. I strongly suggest you do your homework before buying a week at this timeshare resort. These units are very expensive to own and maintain, and they are so far, very well maintained. I do have concerns about the halted construction; there is still only a make-shift check-in/out area in a foyer. The shell of the projected check-in building is beautiful, but empty. I would be wary about buying at a resort where construction has halted, or is just extremely slow in completion.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 August 2004

If anyone has any doubts about The Ritz then read below. THE NEGATIVE!!!First, upon checking in on Sunday I was told that my utility fee is the same as if it were a week. $79 for me but another couple was charged $90. I suppose since they were English and did not know the difference. Second, the room was dirty with the glass blocks covered with soap scum and hair in the drain. The jacuzzi tub was the same but the there was no stopper to hold the water. We called maintenance and it was fixed the next day thus Tues. until a tub. The phone did not work the whole week.Third, housekeeper kept going through our luggage until I told frontdesk I suspected someone was going through our stuff. Fourth, the restaurant had poor food and I waited 15 minutes for our order to be taken- contacted the manager and he wanted us to come back for a free drink. I took him up on the offer but found out that the free drink was a 12 ounce cup instead of 16 ounce thus a bill for $12.00. Finally, upon checking out I asked for my credit card number back which was imprinted for the deposit. THe lady at the desk asked why I wanted it back and I told her that I had read that some numbers had been compromised by the resort. She became defensive and asked me to go to the main office and have them call her to release the copy of the receipt. Other people questioned me why I had requested it back and I replied that I did not trust The Ritz. The people selling timeshares immediately moved clients away from me when I had to wait outside for my receipt.
The Positive!!
Since my phone did not work the lady at the front desk in the evening allowed me to dial out for no charge at the office. The waiter "Bucket" was great with trying to please me and my wife each time we ate at the restaurant. The Ritz is not what it espouses itself to be so if you can tolerate filth and other problems then you will be okay.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Freeport hotels

Reviewed 19 July 2004

OK, I read all of the reviews and after our week, concluded that just about everyone has a point. We checked in on monday 7/12/04 and were told that since we were 2 days late that there were no more ocean side rooms and also that they needed 90 some dollars for utilities and a 300.00 security deposit. I asked if there was anything they could do about the accomodations, so she showed me an ocean side room in Taino Beach which was hands down the worst room I have ever seen. The carpet and furniture were filthy, the kitchen cabinets were hanging off their hinges, the dishwasher had 2 inches of standing water and fell away from the wall when opened, sliding glass doors were broken, a fish was stuck in the garbage disposal and there were 2 roaches (dead) the size of buses laying on their backs in the bottom cabinets. I ran back to the office and they agreed to show us 2 other options. The 1st room was still in Taino and was similar but had marble instead of carpet and was overall much nicer and cleaner. The 2nd room was back in the Ritz facing the canal and was actually quite nice although in need of some repair (the range wasn't even wired, but we weren't cooking in anyway). The pool was now clean and the grounds and the beach were very nice. Definately buy the water taxi weekly pass, because you will want to spend you're evenings in Lucaya (there isn't much to do at the resort at night unless you want to sit at the bar listening to really loud island-funk-rap...its a shame, the ship wreck bar on the beach is a neat place w/ great view, but the music drove everyone but locals away. Winn-Dixie is 2 to 3xs mainland prices, but hey this is the islands and thats the way it is all over the Carribbean. Expect poor service everywhere and be grateful for the few exceptions. Don't worry about noise from the large addition under construction, because we never saw anyone working all week. To summerize this place is a mis-managed mess on the verge of bankruptcy or becoming a very nice resort. We are go w/ the flow people, we relaxed and had fun, but we will not return.

5 Thank Kathi F
San Francisco, CA

Hi
My husband and I just returned from the Ritz and had a great time. We were there from July 10, 2004- July 17, 2004 and would go back again. I was very worried after reading the reviews, but our stay was marvelous. We rented a car ( air conditioned) from Brad's rentals and would do it again in a heartbeat. Rental car is the way to go. We brought an additional suitcase with food staples and washing detergent and bought the rest of the perishables at the Winn Dixie. Food is high, so bring snacks, dishwashing detergent ( yes there is a dishwasher in the unit)and other necessities. Not a problem with toilet paper-but towels leave in the morning and return clean later in the day. Most of the time, we went to housekeeping for ours, easier and we got to hoard a set for nights when we went into the pool. The people at the Ritz were great and being nice to everyone at the beginning got us a great room. The key to getting good service is being nice.
Some things to be aware of:
There is no sign telling you where the Ritz is, so look to the left of the Bell Channel condos and follow the road nearest the fence. They are starting again to construct the new reception center, but they never start too early.
Snorkeling at Paradise Cove costs $3.00 per person for beach access and extra for rental of snorkeling equipment. We brought our own and snorkeled for four days out of our six there. Best snorkeling is at high tide. Great people everywhere and once when we were accosted by a panhandler at the International Bazaar, a local couple driving by told him to leave us alone.
We dined at a great place- The Ferry Building- again no sign- it was the blue building across from the Westin. Great food- master chef- pricey but worth it.
We went to Pier 1 for shark feeding and it was too hot in the balcony when we went - so ask for 7:30 or 8:30 seating. Better than when we went at 6:30
Ruby Swiss is terrific and well worth it. The Conch is great there.
We had the best vacation of our life and are planning to go back again. NOT one person asked us about a time share and our outside waterfall was turned off for a few days so that they could paint it and make it look new and shiny. We have nothing but good to say about the people everywhere there.
There is a government fee of $96.00 that we had to pay through the Ritz and a $300.00 security deposit that drops off your credit card at the end of 10 days, so be prepared. Upon leaving we thought we had to pay to leave- but no money was collected and we went through U.S. customs at the Bahama airport, so we just got on and flew home.
Never got to Solomons- it is near the airport, but getting around is a breeze, as long as you drive on the left side of the road. My husband did a great job. Pier 1 is near the harbour where the cruise ships come in, everything else is near the International Bazaar or the Port Lucaya area. On Friday and Saturday nights- at the Crown Plaza Casino- all you can eat buffet for $22.50 per person was worth it and then you can gamble at the slots ( we used the .25 cent machines).
It was a great time and the Ritz was fine. The telephone in our room worked, all the appliances worked and the AC went out during the night one time and was fixed the next morning just fine.
Just relax and enjoy the beach and the stars and don't worry about the bad reviews.
If you want to e-mail me, feel free. We are both teachers and I teach online, so I would get back to you pretty quick.
Sarah

20 Thank Sarah N
Salem, Or
Reviewed 19 July 2004

After reading all the reviews, good and bad, I had to write one. We bought a 1 bedroom at the Ritz after staying there for a week. We've visited (and stayed) at many timeshares (Cancun, Las Vegas, Dominican Republic, Aruba, St Thomas, Curacao, etc). The Ritz is not luxurious in service nor amenities nor do they offer you 5 star dining and onsite shops like some of the other places we've been to. Yes, we've been to resorts that pamper you more than the Ritz, but those other resorts (and beaches) are also so dang crowded that you feel like one cattle in a herd of cattle. The Ritz offered us a quiet and enjoyable time on a beach that rivaled any beach we've been to as far as white sands, turquoise waters and tropical scenery. There is also enough activities (nighttime bonfire/party, nearby Port Lucaya, water sports on the grounds, casino and International Bazaar within 20 minutes drive) to indulge those that 'need to do something'. We felt the rooms were very adequate with nice touches (the marble counters, glass block shower, private spa).
This service is at times slow, and they do their best to get you to buy/upgrade a timeshare (which may turn a lot of people away).
If you want the pampered service and the crowds, noise and bustling that go along with it, then this place is not for you. If you want a romantic quiet getaway, with a beautiful beach and no crowd, this fits the bill.

10 Thank vicdreyer