“8-22 Jan05 Fabulous Holiday”

Taino Beach Resort & Clubs
Reviewed 25 January 2005

8-22 Jan05 Fabulous Holiday

Enough has been said about the unique style of the rooms at this resort. All I can add was that the place is newly decorated following the storms and was clean and tidy (not a roach in sight). The staff were exceptionally friendly. Towels, soap, shampoo, conditioner etc were provided every day. Washing up liquid and dishwasher powder available if you ask. Pool was clean. 2 for 1 ($7ish) priced frozen cocktail drinks during happy hour 3-5pm pool bar and 6-8pm main bar. Activities arranged if you wish to join in.
Work was ongoing on renovation although we were never troubled by noise. On our second week however, people used the adjoining room and we could hear them when they were talking loudly.
We went to look at some of the "posh" hotels over by the marina and felt the cooperateness of them was just too over done, the Ritz suited us just fine. Its location right on the beach was just mint.
Coming from the UK we found the prices in the local shops ok, bread and milk a little more expensive than home.
Snorkelling was great and a car, $40 a day from Brads, helps to get around.
Weather was a little unsettled but we still saw plenty of sunshine- locals said it was v.cold !!
This was one fabulous holiday.
If you want more information feel free to e-mail me. dave_ibbo@lineone.net

41  Thank Ibbo312

San Francisco, CA, USA
Reviewed 14 October 2004

I found 4 reviews on Trip Advisor that had to do with fraud credit card use at the Ritz Beach Resort in Freeport, Grand Bahamas – one was for a trip in the early week of January 2004, the other two written in March 2004, and the last one was written in August 2004. I, too, stayed at the Ritz Beach Resort during the third week of January 2004. Five days after my return, someone had made about $4,000 worth of purchases on my credit card. I was very upset. I felt violated, knowing that it was one of the staff at the resort – either at the front desk when I had to check-in for an upgraded room and during check-out, or at the Timeshare sales office since I had purchased “The Villa” timeshare during my stay and had used the same credit card in the amount of $3,198.00 for the down payment and closing cost. The Ritz Beach Resort was the only place I’ve used that particular credit card. The credit card company deducted the fraud charges, of course, but when I tried to dispute the $3,198.900 charges from canceling the timeshare contract, they had difficulty getting through and it eventually was denied… I have been trying to contact the Ritz since January 2004. I have written, called, faxed, emailed several Timeshare sales staff, and have even dealt with their Security people, but to no avail, no response. I am not going to give up. My last communication with them was an email sent the first week of September 2004… that if I don’t receive a reimbursement soon, I will inform Trip Advisor and all the timeshare websites and the whole world will know what they have done to me. My Mother had just passed away recently, and I need to help pay for the funeral arrangements that were made during her passing….

19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 September 2004

After reading some reviews here, I was a bit concerned. I felt much better after seeing our room. Although the layout is a bit strange, overall it was fine. We stayed in one of the studio hotel units which had air conditioning, a small fridge, a microwave, a convection oven, coffee pot, and a range with two burners. Plus an assortment of bowls, plates, pots, and utensils. There was also a balcony with table and chairs and cable tv. We got towels every morning and the staff were quite nice.

My girlfriend and I are pretty experienced travelers so we can make do with just about anything. The room was clean and neat. The whirlpool tub was fun. I can see how the bathroom would be a bit uncomfortable for some people (glass walls, no lock on the bathroom) but it was fine for us.

Essentially the room was fine for our purposes which was someplace to sleep after a day in the pool or beach. Both of which were amazing. The beach might as well have been a private beach and the pool was very fun, a bit of everyone from retirees, young couples and families. It was a good location for going out.

That being said, our trip was cut short by Hurricane Frances. I understand that the Ritz and the pool took some minor damage but the Taino suffered major damage. All I can say that the pre-Frances Ritz was fine as a place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2004
18  Thank part_time_beach_bum
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 2 September 2004

After reading all of the reviews, I too was a little doubtful about our upcoming trip. We were there from July 24th -July 29th. The best thing is that our costs were minimal. Our friends who own with RCI gifted us a week. That meant that our room including utility fees was approximately $60/night. Not bad at all for a Resort with a spa tub, kitchenette, and beautiful marble tile. We were on the 4th floor (penthouse) with a nice view. I came prepared with all of my RCI paperwork for the staff and it seemed to make them happy that at least we tried to follow instructions. We were nice to the staff and they were nice to us.

Our room was extremely clean. The kitchenette was well stocked with appliances, dishes, pots, glasses, and silverware. Everything worked including the telephone, air conditioning, tv/vcr, jacuzzi tub, etc.

Housekeeping was very timely. We received towels daily. The first 2 days...I had to request towels. After that, the towels came regularly. Since, we did quite a bit of cooking, housekeeping washed our dishes daily. : ) I loved that. We tried to be extremely nice by expressing our appreciation each time they came. We left a nice tip on our last night at the resort.

Things I didn't know: pre-paid calling cards are not allowed. Don't even bring one. Calling rates back to the states are ridiculous.

Don't expect a 5 star hotel. It's not one. The beach is beautiful. The pool was gorgeous. The ferry for $25/per person per week was excellent.

For me, it was a nice relaxing vacation. I was 32 weeks pregnant at this time. My husband and I just wanted a quick get away. We brought an icechest filled with cold drinks, snacks, spaghetti fixings, taco fixings, etc. Remember the weight limit for each piece of luggage is 50 pounds.

The Ritz fit the bill for our trip. If you want something fancier, then perhaps the Ritz isn't for you. The staff was courteous and friendly. The restaurant I enjoyed the most was the Pub at Port Lucaya. The shrimp is EXCELLENT! The restaurant at the Casino was o.k. too. Finally, the International Plaza was fun. We ate inside one of the hotel restaurants. The food was good. I had a huge fruit platter for lunch which was divine.

We rode the ferry, taxi cab, and bus during our stay. All of these means of transportation are RUSTIC. I was very surprised by that. Our room at the Ritz was very nice. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The baby is due in 5 days! : )

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Waldorf, MD
Reviewed 22 August 2004

Well I just returned from the ritz. After reading some reviews i decided to hope for the best but expect the worst. My husband and I got married in June. His father and his wife have timeshares with RCI so decided to let us use this for our honeymoon. We were really excited to find a week there on short notice at this "5 star resort". Then I started reading the reviews on here. I prepared as much as I could. I bought lots of grocerys from home. The resort gives complimentery runs to their grocery store a couple times when you first get there but the prices are outragous on some things. Checkin is not until 4:00pm buit we got there at 3:00 and you can put your name down and they call you in order of who got there first. I read if your nice to the staff they will be nice back. Well when we got to the desk and they said they "upgraded" us I thought it worked. No it sure didn't. We origionally were going to be in the new section of the hotel (which i did not find out till later) but they moved us to the old section and the upgrade was an extra bedroom. Why when they know 2 people are staying the room thy would consider this an upgrade i do not know. Well we get to our room and I would have to say it was dirty. The bathrooms wern't cleaned great. I found old hair in the showers, mold etc. When I called the hotel i was told there are safes in the room. I come to find out thats only true if your in the new section. After reading what some people has to say i packed a lot of cash to avoid using my credit card and almost cried when i thought of not being able to lock up our money and my jewlrey. Luckily we had a lock for luggage so we just kept our valuables locked in the luggage. The beds are uncomfortable. Its a thin matress on wood. The walls are thin. we could hear our neighbors fighting and when we would be banging around in the kitchen they could hear it so they would bang back. People bug you a lot to come to their lunchs or breakfest or whatever to sell you stuff. The lady would come bugging us at 8 in the morning then there was a guy who would call and once after my husband said I'll talk to my wife he was up to our room within 2 minutes asking if he had talked to me yet. The maids like to come early and some don't wait long after their first knock to come in. Considering we were on our honeymoon this gave us some interesting situations sometimes. Also the old part of the hotel still has key entry instead of those cards so we kept the latch always secured on the door. On day the maid decided to come in while she knocked the first time and pushed hard enough she broke the latch right off the door! That was definatly a safty issue with me. It takes awhile to get the hotel to do stuff for you. We didn't get towels for awhile because the maid didnt leave any in our room when we got there and the second day we were still sleeping when she came so she said she would come back and never did. We called for towels they said they would send someone. They never did so we call and they say come down. By the time we go down they say they have no clean towels but will see what they can do. We didnt get towels till the next day. It also took a very long time to get someone to look at the door when the latch broke or when the cable went out. The pool is very nice. It was never overcrowded. The swim up bar is a little pricey, they are supposed to have happy hour between 3 and 6 everyday. I ordered a malibu and pineapple and a bahama mama and that was $12.50! I would hat e to see what it was when its not happy hour. also it is supposed to stay open till 6:30 but closed by 5 everyday we were there. You are supposed to return your towels by 5 everyday but we kept ours. I never saw anyone working on construction on the new part of the hotel. You can ride the ferry to Port Lucaya for $25 all week. We went everyday there is lots of shopping and places to eat. We tried a couple different places but our favoprite place to eat and have drinks is The Pub at Port Lucaya. It has great service and extremly fast and moderatly priced. Luckily there are many exciting things to do outside of the Hotel area so it was still a great experiance going there. It definatly wasn't the carefree honeymoon I was hoping for, but being there with my husband was wonderful. All in all I would say if I was offered a chance to go back to this resort I would say NO. Feel free to email me at DanielleFoss@hotmail.com if you have any questions.

• Stayed: August 2004
15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Landenberg, PA
Reviewed 9 August 2004

As timeshare owners in the Poconos, we were able to exchange into the Ritz Beach Resort the first week of August, 2004. We had been there 5 years earlier and noticed much more construction had been started (as per the plans we viewed on our last trip when they tried fiercely to sell us a week) but the construction seemed halted. We were there for the week, and saw no work being done. Could this be due to the weather, or workers, or lack of funding over the years? The unit we stayed in was of the same quality we experienced 5 years ago. It's a good thing to see a resort maintaining itself. The pool was clean and bright and inviting. We witnessed the pool cleaning staff scrubbing the tile at the edge of the pool water - a very important step in keeping a pool clean, but one that is often overlooked at other resorts. The underwater cave bar was finally open and fun.
The worst thing about the units is that they are all LOCK-OUTS, which means there are connecting, un-sound-proofed doors to 4 units. And if you have discourteous neighbors, you will hear their conversations, radios and TV's all day long and into the wee hours of the morning. We had to relocate from sleeping on the first floor, to sleeping in the loft, where there is no connecting door, and where it was heavenly quiet. It was lovely up there, but I am not crazy about those spiral staircases! I called and complained about the noise, and the staff suggested I call security and they would speak to the other guests about the problem. We decided to stay upstairs (bed, tv, shower, toilet) for the remainder of the week. We were fine. But if we had another couple with us, they would not have been happy to stay in the lower quarters, next to such noise.
The food at the nearby Taino Restaurant was scrumptious and moderately priced. Chicken Fingers were $9.50, Sirloin Steak was $14.95, Honey BBQ Spareribs were $10.95. Portions were generous. Side orders are $2.00 for French Fries or Peas and Rice, or a Baked Potato or Vegetables. You could eat on their Seaview Terrace overlooking a beautiful ocean, or indoors in airconditioning. Breakfast and Lunch are also available. This restaurant is a great convenience. When the storm came and took out our power, it was restored within an hour, luckily. But we didn't trust the weather to ferry to other restaurants in the Marketplace across the channel, so we stayed local. The staff is very friendly and attentive.
We did encounter huge roaches, the size of Buicks, here and there on the property, but only one showed up in our closet, probably came in with the vacuum cleaner. I asked to have the carpet vacuumed upstairs, they left me the vacuum. Ha...ok. I'll do it. :)
A lot of timeshare week sales campaigning going on. I strongly suggest you do your homework before buying a week at this timeshare resort. These units are very expensive to own and maintain, and they are so far, very well maintained. I do have concerns about the halted construction; there is still only a make-shift check-in/out area in a foyer. The shell of the projected check-in building is beautiful, but empty. I would be wary about buying at a resort where construction has halted, or is just extremely slow in completion.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
GWD,SC
Reviewed 7 August 2004

If anyone has any doubts about The Ritz then read below. THE NEGATIVE!!!First, upon checking in on Sunday I was told that my utility fee is the same as if it were a week. $79 for me but another couple was charged $90. I suppose since they were English and did not know the difference. Second, the room was dirty with the glass blocks covered with soap scum and hair in the drain. The jacuzzi tub was the same but the there was no stopper to hold the water. We called maintenance and it was fixed the next day thus Tues. until a tub. The phone did not work the whole week.Third, housekeeper kept going through our luggage until I told frontdesk I suspected someone was going through our stuff. Fourth, the restaurant had poor food and I waited 15 minutes for our order to be taken- contacted the manager and he wanted us to come back for a free drink. I took him up on the offer but found out that the free drink was a 12 ounce cup instead of 16 ounce thus a bill for $12.00. Finally, upon checking out I asked for my credit card number back which was imprinted for the deposit. THe lady at the desk asked why I wanted it back and I told her that I had read that some numbers had been compromised by the resort. She became defensive and asked me to go to the main office and have them call her to release the copy of the receipt. Other people questioned me why I had requested it back and I replied that I did not trust The Ritz. The people selling timeshares immediately moved clients away from me when I had to wait outside for my receipt.
The Positive!!
Since my phone did not work the lady at the front desk in the evening allowed me to dial out for no charge at the office. The waiter "Bucket" was great with trying to please me and my wife each time we ate at the restaurant. The Ritz is not what it espouses itself to be so if you can tolerate filth and other problems then you will be okay.

• Stayed: July 2004