This was our second trip, and the first with our two kids. There is no place like Small Hope Bay. Don't come if you want "luxury", shopping, casino gambling, lots of hand-holding and pre-arranged activites, or wild partying. _Do_ come if you want an fascinating and international group of fellow guests, a relaxed and easy-going atmosphere, lovely and charming staff, and a terrific diving experience.
The diving is the main reason to come. The sites are stunning, and the staff really knows how to lead the dives. You _will_ be invited to dive beyond what your PADI course may have described. My wife and I are relatively experienced divers and got to descend into an oceanic blue hole, swim along ancient riverbeds and waterfalls, and go over the edge down into the Tongue of the Ocean down to 185'. We were meticulously briefed for these, carefully overseen, and kept well within no-deco limits. The staff insist on safety stops and are always willing to accommodate divers who prefer less challenging dives. Our 12-year-old son had a great time finding his limits on many thrilling medium-depth dives, under the care of the resort's dive masters.
The staff was wonderfully patient and supportive of our 10-year-old as she explored snorkeling, SASI, and finally scuba in the shallow waters around the dock and on one shallow reef dive.
The food is tasty, plentiful, and varied. You will spend a lot of time interacting with other guests, which I think is a large part of the experience. We became friends with folks from around the US, from Australia, Hong Kong, England, and France during our stay.
The rooms are rustic--think "summer camp"--but perfectly comfortable.
SHB isn't a Carnival Cruise or Sandals, which is why we love it and why we are already planning our next visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We have been catering to scuba divers, snorkelers, fishermen, eco-tourists, and relaxers since 1960. Third largest barrier reef in the world and bonefish heaven. There are 21 all-inclusive rooms in cottages right on the beach. Come experience our unique ambience, friendly staff, and natural safe environment. Our dock and dive shop are right on property and fishing trips are easily arranged. Of course, if grabbing a drink, a book, and a hammock are more your style, go right ahead. We have 2 beaches and plenty of hammocks. Rest, Relaxation, and Rediscovery ... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Small Hope Bay Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Small Hope Bay Hotel Andros
- Small Hope Bay Resort
- Small Hope Bay Lodge Andros, Bahamas