“All you could 'Hope' for” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Small Hope Bay Lodge
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“All you could 'Hope' for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

Spending time at Small Hope Bay is like being invited to go and stay with hosts and fellow guests that you’ve never met before. It is NOT like staying in a hotel or your ‘average’ resort.

You’ll find your hosts are delightful, constantly on the lookout to make sure everything is going well for you – but without being intrusive. Their ‘team’ is a multi-national mixture, including many Bahamians, who are, without exception, genuinely friendly and happy in their work. The fact that the owner, management and staff appear to have found a way to make an income by doing what they enjoy, and do well, creates an infectious atmosphere that exudes fun and relaxation.

The accommodation is simple but well-maintained and in keeping with the surroundings. The food is absolutely excellent. You’ll encounter fellow guests who share your desire to relax and enjoy yourselves. Communal dining is not for everyone but we found it worked well and we met many interesting and engaging people during the ten days we spent there. Depending on the guests who are staying, the central lodge area can be deserted by 9pm; so don’t go here for night-life. Use plenty repellent in the evenings, as it can get very buggy if there's no breeze.

A spot like this is very weather-dependent and alternatives are limited if conditions don’t allow diving and fishing. But when its good, and seems it mostly is, WOW!

The bonefishing guide was excellent – highly-experienced and good company too. The dive staff at Small Hope are very competent and will go out of their way to ensure you get the most from your visit. The ratio of dive staff to divers is first-class, so you can be assured of being accompanied if you are on your own or have personal dive limits. The variety of dive spots within short distance of the lodge is incredible and you’d need to spend hours poring over identification guides to name all the corals and fish that you’ll see.

It might not suit everyone, but we loved Small Hope and its entire staff.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank aberdeenangler
shbmkt, Marketing Team at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Thank you John for those kind words about Small Hope. I am very happy that you and Alison enjoyed your stay with us. You are very right, Small Hope is nothing like staying at a hotel or your average resort. We do our best to maintain a laidback and relaxing atmosphere and ensure that we do everything possible to make your vacation everything you hoped for. I am glad that you enjoyed both the diving and the fishing, our guides certainly are experts and they make it look very easy. It was so nice having you and Alison with us and we would be thrilled to have you back for another visit anytime.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

I wanted write some comments about my last diving vacations in the Bahamas. I went to Small Hope Bay Lodge. They are located on Andros Island. Andros Island is part of the out Islands of the Bahamas. My trip was on May 2012 and there a previous time on May 1995. I have made a promise to myself to come back and this year the promise was held. I mostly vacation for diving. I dive mostly in the Bahamas.

Small Hope bay Lodge is small and intimate place. The accommodations are single floor. The cottages are simple and clean. They are all facing the ocean. There is no phone or television in the cottage. The cottages are all close to the beach. The setting make you feel like if stepping back in time when the beach was as is. There are long chair and hammock between the palm trees.

The main building is where we have all the meals and it also where is the bar and the game room. All of Small Hope is very informal so the entire week, I walk around bare foot. When the weather is sunny the lunches and dinners are served outside. There is also an outside bar. All of this is facing the ocean. Since Small Hope is inclusive; all the drinks are include; soft drinks, beers, wines and cocktails are included. At 18:30, there is an happy hour where they serve conch fritter with other appetizer.
The meals are delicious, healthy and plentiful. The desserts are all homemade and scrumptious.

Since my interest is diving it took the diving package of which included 3 dives per days for 6 days. Since Andros Island as a small population and there the very low commercial activity thus the reef are very healthy and is fishs are plentiful. The diving spots are within 20 minutes range. Small Hope is close the Tongue of the Ocean wall. The wall drop to about 6000 feet’s. There are also very nice shallow dive sites so all divers of different levels can enjoyed themselves. I was fortunately enough to be the only diver for 2 days on the dive boats so I was able to indulged in deep wall dive. Diving safety is paramount at Small Hope so I always felt very safe. You can also to go on specialty dive where there is only one or two diver per dive master and live an experience that truly off the beaten path.

Now the main thing that distinguishes Small Hope is the staff; from the owner manager to ground keeper passing by the dive staff they all make you welcome. Just the fact that you get in the morning all them will great with a friendly good day. They will bend backward to accommodate your request. This fact helps to foster an environment where all the guests mingle with each other. I am not an outgoing person and do not mix easily with stranger but at Small Hope I have no issue.
Small Hope Bay Lodge represent, for me, the essence of the Bahamas. I hope it stays this small, simple but so convivial so you do not feel just like a guest but instead you feel like a friend. This fact makes Small Hope Bay Lodge such a special place.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Francois B
shbmkt, Erin Sipperley, Marketing Team at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Frank thank you for the great review. It was so nice meeting you this past trip, and I am so pleased that you had a good time. The diving at Small Hope is definitely one of a kind, especially the specialty diving that you got to partake in. While we love to give divers new and incredible experiences, safety has and will always be our main priority. Like the diving we offer Small Hope's "family" atmosphere is unique compared to most other resorts. When you are with Small Hope Bay you are family. Frank I am very pleased that you enjoyed your second stay with us, and we can't wait for your third. Come visit us again soon for some more good diving and good times with great friends!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

Staff was very friendly. Dive staff was awesome. They are the only dive group at Andros so the sites are never crowded or disturbed by others. Babysitters were great and, as I saw from returning child guests, a reason for a return trip. How many places have the same sitter for years and when prior guests come, they actually hang out with the SITTERS? It looks the same as it did in the 60's which is charming. No phone, TV, or AC unless requested but you don't miss it. The club house has wi fi that has a varying signal throughout the day. IF YOU ARE BRINGING A TODDLER: They don't carry chocolate milk or cheez-its for those kids that require their comfort "food". There is a convenience store that does sell chocolat Parlamat and snacks a short bike ride away (I also saw diapers there). Portable DVD with Elmo helped with rainy days. We decided that we will be returning to small hope at least until our little one becomes a teen. I met many families that have been coming every year for 5, 10, 20, 30 years. That is enough endorsement for us!!

Room Tip: All rooms face the water and are ground floor bungalows. At night, the farther away from the clubho...
2 Thank dversaggi
Thank you for the nice review. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay. Erica is such a cutie and was a joy for Kaylisa and the other sitters. The diving off Andros is incredible being that we are so close to the tongue of the ocean, so we are very lucky to be one of the only dive resorts giving us great, unspoiled, uncrowded sites. It was really great having your family stay with us and I am so pleased to hear that you will be back again. Like many before you, you have caught the Small Hope bug. Can't wait until we meet again!
Gold Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

This was our 10th year at Small Hope for fun food relaxing and scuba diving, and we were not disappointed at all everything was great. I took my grown kids and now they are also hooked.

1 Thank George O
shbmkt, Marketing Team at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
George we are so happy that you and your family had a good stay with us. It was great to get Sarah in the water diving! One of the nicest things about Small Hope is that families keep coming back year after year. It was so nice to see you and Becky again and we can't wait to have you and all the kids back again for some more diving and good times!
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

I recently visited Small Hope Bay Lodge with my daughter to celebrate her college graduation. This was my third visit to Small Hope and her second. Midway through our trip we were already kicking ourselves for not scheduling a longer time there! So much to do, so little time!

Small Hope is really like summer camp for adults. The accommodations aren't fancy! They are, however, clean and quite functional. There are no TV's, phones or Internet access in the cabins and that's just fine! They are situated quite close to the beach and it's wonderful to hear the lapping of waves while falling asleep.

There is much to see and do at Small Hope....from world class diving (on the third largest barrier reef in the world) and fishing to biking, kayaking or just relaxing in one of their many hammocks! (At Small Hope “hammocking” is taken very seriously!) Exploring the island of Andros is also very interesting, as is trying your hand at batiking at the Androsia fabric factory.

The food (all of which is included in the price) is wonderful and diverse! Breakfast and lunch are delicious and filling, but dinner is the highlight. Each night at 6:30 conch fritters are served (and are they good!) at the bar where everyone has gathered to talk about their day. At 7:30 the chef comes out to announce that dinner is served and to describe the treats are waiting! It's a wonderful time of day.....great food and drink, meeting new friends, while being surrounded by the beauty of the Bahamas.

However, the thing that makes Small Hope truly special and unique is the staff! They make you feel "like one of the family" from the start. The staff eats and socializes with the guests and they seem genuinely interested in making sure each person has a great vacation. It's this personal touch that brings so many people back to Small Hope and, indeed, keeps me coming back.

Each time I'm at Small Hope I start thinking about my next trip, even before the current one is over! That's right....June of 2013 is already in the works!

3 Thank Pineapplegirl50
shbmkt, Marketing Team at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Thank you Chris for the nice words about Small Hope. Falling asleep to the sound of the waves is amazing, and even better when you're in a hammock (becuase you are right Small Hope is serious about hammocking). We are also serious about ensuring that our guests have the best possible experience with us, we are very proud of the family like atmosphere that sets Small Hope Bay Lodge apart from the rest. I am so happy that you and Stephanie enjoyed your trip and we can't wait to see you back again next June, we will have to get you out driving the boat again!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

Small Hope Bay is everything that I ever dreamed a tropical vacation to be. The staff was incredibly and the food was amazing too. We came with two other couples and the men bonefished and us girls relaxed!!! We met so many great people. If you are looking for a laid back vacation with diving, snorkeling and relaxing this is the place to visit. We will be back but next time we will bring our 3 kids!!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank DianaMT
shbmkt, Marketing Team at Small Hope Bay Lodge at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Thank you so much for the lovely review. I am very happy that Small Hope was able to live up to your dreams of an island getaway. The laid back, relaxing atmosphere of Small Hope is a favorite aspect among our guests. We would love to have you back soon for another stay, even better if the kids tag along!
Statesboro, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

Small Hope was a great honeymoon spot for this newlywed. My wife and I were able to relax and do things at our own pace. I tried bone-fishing and she had a massage during our trip. Both were excellent. The food was fantastic for every meal and the staff made us feel like a part of the family. I have never been to another resort where you were able eat dinner with the owner one night and the chef that prepared your meal the next. Conch fritters are my new favorite happy hour snack....I can't get enough of them! If you want a relaxing environment where the staff knows you by name and the food is delightful then Small Hope Bay Lodge is the place for you. I am not a diver but I did try the beginner course. Still found plenty to do during our stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you Stephen for the great review. I am so happy to hear that you and Wendi enjoyed your honeymoon so much, we are thrilled that you spent it with us. The atmosphere at Small Hope is I think what sets it apart from other resorts, when you're here you're family! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the food as well, the conch fritters are definitely addicting, you guys will have to come back soon for some more!