Spending time at Small Hope Bay is like being invited to go and stay with hosts and fellow guests that you’ve never met before. It is NOT like staying in a hotel or your ‘average’ resort.
You’ll find your hosts are delightful, constantly on the lookout to make sure everything is going well for you – but without being intrusive. Their ‘team’ is a multi-national mixture, including many Bahamians, who are, without exception, genuinely friendly and happy in their work. The fact that the owner, management and staff appear to have found a way to make an income by doing what they enjoy, and do well, creates an infectious atmosphere that exudes fun and relaxation.
The accommodation is simple but well-maintained and in keeping with the surroundings. The food is absolutely excellent. You’ll encounter fellow guests who share your desire to relax and enjoy yourselves. Communal dining is not for everyone but we found it worked well and we met many interesting and engaging people during the ten days we spent there. Depending on the guests who are staying, the central lodge area can be deserted by 9pm; so don’t go here for night-life. Use plenty repellent in the evenings, as it can get very buggy if there's no breeze.
A spot like this is very weather-dependent and alternatives are limited if conditions don’t allow diving and fishing. But when its good, and seems it mostly is, WOW!
The bonefishing guide was excellent – highly-experienced and good company too. The dive staff at Small Hope are very competent and will go out of their way to ensure you get the most from your visit. The ratio of dive staff to divers is first-class, so you can be assured of being accompanied if you are on your own or have personal dive limits. The variety of dive spots within short distance of the lodge is incredible and you’d need to spend hours poring over identification guides to name all the corals and fish that you’ll see.
It might not suit everyone, but we loved Small Hope and its entire staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We have been catering to scuba divers, snorkelers, fishermen, eco-tourists, and relaxers since 1960. Third largest barrier reef in the world and bonefish heaven. There are 21 all-inclusive rooms in cottages right on the beach. Come experience our unique ambience, friendly staff, and natural safe environment. Our dock and dive shop are right on property and fishing trips are easily arranged. Of course, if grabbing a drink, a book, and a hammock are more your style, go right ahead. We have 2 beaches and plenty of hammocks. Rest, Relaxation, and Rediscovery ... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Small Hope Bay Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Small Hope Bay Hotel Andros
- Small Hope Bay Resort
- Small Hope Bay Lodge Andros, Bahamas