“Everyone Needs Some Peace And Quiet On A Secluded Bahamian Beach!!!!!!!!!!”

Small Hope Bay Lodge
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Reviewed 29 February 2008

Peace and Relaxation a beautiful white-powder sand with calm turquoise water is exactley what is to be found at Small Hope Bay Resort. The nights were so beautiful...you will never see as many stars anywhere else like at Small Hope Bay.I went there just to take a break from the fast city life.The food was AMAZING!!! The conversations were never dull and there were sooooo many interesting people to meet! There is something there to suit every taste even if you aren't into water sports. There is so much to do that it is impossible to get bored. I went during the Bahamian winter (which only goes down to about 75 degrees F on a cold day and about 55-60 at night) and was greeted by this big cozy fireplace! I live on Nassau (the capital), i have never seen a fireplace in the Bahamas and it was a pleasant suprise!!! The staff literally roll out the red carpet!!! THE SERVICE IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! There is an amazing feel to the place in general. It really is like no place else I've ever went on earth!!!!!!!!!!!!! Living in the caribbean, nice beaches are not a rareity but everything was so WONDERFUL that I can see myself going there over and over again!!

Tyche, Nassau

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank Syntyche
There are newer reviews for Small Hope Bay Lodge

Reviewed 15 February 2008

Our family stayed there for 5 days and we all loved it. My sons are 21 and 18 and we are in our mid 50's. My sons took the diving certifcation course and were very well trained. Since they were the only ones in the class it was tailor made for their needs and timing. My husband and I are cerfitifed divers so we took advanatge of the great diving facilities at the lodge. The dive masters were all great and extremely helpful. We loved staying at the lodge where everyone (guests, owners and staff) was incredibly friendly. The owners tell guests that we are staying in the living room and that's what it felt like. We met the owner as he circulated among the guests and welcomed everyone. It's a family run lodge and you feel their love of the lodge and the island they live on. If you don't dive there' s lots of other things to do. How can you beat having a cabin that's steps from the beautiful Bahamian waters? It's a wonderful all inclusive lodge that we hope to retun to.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Rashi
Reviewed 25 January 2008

Everything I've read about Small Hope Bay Lodge is true - it is a beautiful spot, the staff is extraordinarily friendly and responsive, the water sports are marvelous. This is not, as others have pointed out, a posh place - it's rustic and very environmentally conscious. I would recommend it to anyone who loves beaches, good food, wonderful people (both staff and guests), and basic but nice accommodations.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank fairbankstraveler
Reviewed 12 December 2007

My wife and I honeymooned at Small Hope on the recommendation of her sister who had visited the resort previously. What we sought was a spot that had not been industrialized, and that is exactly what we got. We arrived on the island and were pleasantly surprised to not see a single McDonald's or Wal-Mart. The two-lane road (the only paved road on Andros Island from what I hear) wanders in no particular hurry to the seclusion of Small Hope Bay Lodge. Once there, we were welcomed by the staff and invited to eat (Which was perfect after a long morning of flying). We informed them that our luggage had been lost in Chicago, and were asked for the information. They told us not to worry, the staff would handle the rest. And they did (Eventually, Jeff (the resort's owner) got frustrated with the airlines and flew his personal plane across to Nassau to pick up our luggage for us... THAT is service).

The resort itself is as laid back as it gets. After we were shown our room, I took off my shoes and did not put them back on until we had to return to the States. All the meals are taken as a group, so we had ample opportunity to make many new friends, especially in the cocktail hour before dinner!!

The cabins can not be called five-star by any stretch of the imagination. They are cleaned daily and very spacious, but if you want a screaming hot shower and room service, go to Atlantis with the rest of the tourists. If you want to fall asleep with the breeze blowing the sounds of the ocean through the batik curtains, then this is the place for you. It's the rare spot where you can fall asleep in a hammock by the water and not be disturbed by a soul.

I should point out that the resort is extremely environmentally conscious and conserves as much energy as possible. Every light in the cabin is a compact fluorescent, there are no TV's, phones, or computers in the cabins (Prepare to be cut off from the world for a week, which isn't a bad thing), and while A/C is available, I recommend not using it at all. Fans suffice at night, and it isn't such a shock when you reemerge into the heat in the morning!

All that said, we fully intend to return as soon as possible. Small Hope was the vacation I have dreamed of since I first discovered there was a place called "The Caribbean". The only real downside is that I have been completely ruined: I can never stay at a regular "Americanized" resort on vacation again. I'll prefer to have a beach to myself.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank my231
Reviewed 10 November 2007

Small Hope is very relaxing place to stay. Highly recommended for diving. The diving exceeded expectations and was world class. The ammenties of Small Hope are spartan, but the customer service is excellent. This is not a Ritz or even a Holiday Inn by an stretch of the imagination, but enjoyable none the less. I would highly recommend the Small Hope Bay especially to divers. I would not recommend SHB if you like hairdryers, room service and TV. It is not that type of resort. My wife who is not a diver enjoyed every minute of her vacation. There was a dog at the resort named Rex who was very friendly and was fun to go for walks on the beach with. He made us miss our dog a little less. Andros itself is a very quiet island with very limited night life and restaurants.

We will be back!

Rob and Victoria

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank vicdocbro
Reviewed 3 September 2007

I just returned from a great vacation at SHB with two friends who had been previously and who raved about both the Lodge and the diving. I am a new diver, so I wanted my first trip to be a good one. I'm also a busy executive who really needed to get away...from everything. I accomplished both at SHB. First, you know you are someplace special when the staff greet you personally and immediately treat you like family. The service is outstanding. Whatever you need, they will take care of it. Just ask. While you are there, you are one of the familiy. You truly have the run of the house. From helping yourself to the bar, to just walking out to the dock and starting up a conversation with the dive staff, you feel like you are at home there. It is a simple place, so don't go expecting Ritz Carlton type accomodations. But that's the point. It is all about the diving, the fishing, the ocean and the relaxation. It is about leaving everything else behind and focusing on you. Time becomes irrelevant there...thankfully. And it is so peaceful and quiet, you can finally hear yourself think.

As I said, I am a new diver, and the dive staff did everything to ensure that I was properly prepared and that I was comfortable with each dive. Moose, Nick, Brittany and James all did a wonderful job. First rate and truly professional. I first went out with Moose, and he was attentive throughout my dive, ensuring that I was ok, and then coaching me after each dive as to what I need to pay attention to while out. Nick and Brittany were the same. As my dives became more aggressive, they spent more time making sure that I understood everything, and they were there throughout the dive to ensure that everyone was safe and enjoying the experience. And I couldn't have asked for better dive experiences. From the wall dives to the blue hole, it was all super. Don't come expecting the greatest in wildlife. To be sure, it's not bad, but the it's the geological aspects of this place that make it amazing. If you go, definitely experience the wall and blue hole dives.

Finally, as I said earlier, you are family there. All of the dive staff will join you for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and will even hang out and have a few beers with you in the evening. This was truly a first rate experience. We have already booked our return for the New Year's holiday!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
7  Thank MSPDvier
Reviewed 22 August 2007

My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon at SHBL and we had a great time. We took the honeymoon package and really relaxed and enjoyed ourselves the entire time. We are not certified SCUBA divers but we took the free "Discover SCUBA Diving" course and then went on three "shallow" 40 foot deep dives of about 45 minutes each (two of which were in our package and one of which was extra). The entire dive staff was fantastic and provided a very safe, patient, and professional introduction to the sport. The underwater scenery of coral, fish, and clear water is fantastic and we loved it. We also snorkeled in the shallows, explored for a morning in a sea kayak (for two), visited some local scenic sites, visited an inland blue hole, and just walked on the beach. The food was great, the cocktail hour was great, and the meals were excellent. By the time we went home, we knew most all of the staff and guests on a first name basis and we swapped email addresses with many of them.

Some of the unfavorable reviews are clearly written by people who were looking for something the lodge does not offer. If you have a question or two, send them an email. They will reply and you can also give them a phone call. (By the way, the cellular service was great, 5 bars on T Mobile.) SHBL is not a five star high rise hotel with hot and cold running everything. SHBL is more like a resort community built right on the beach, and you are very much a part of the community. Walk out your door, over the sand, and into the ocean when you please. Stroll down to the bar for a drink or a beer at any time, meet some very nice people, and do not miss the conch fritters at 6:30 pm every night.

The staff at SHBL are really a part of the magic. In this regard, I have to say that we really enjoyed the dive staff. We learned so much about the joy of diving from Nick and Brittany, Moose, and the dynamic duo of Tonya and Alex. What else can I say. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Bigfish9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Andros
Swain's Cay Lodge
#1 of 23 in Andros
The Pointe Resort
The Pointe Resort
#2 of 5 in Andros

Been to Small Hope Bay Lodge? Share your experiences!