“Great, but not the Hilton” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Small Hope Bay Lodge

Small Hope Bay Lodge
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Andros
NorCal
“Great, but not the Hilton”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

Small Hope is a laid back, not fancy, very comfortable (if you discount the various insects which await you outside your room - but it is Andros Island - and that's part of it).

The Good:
1. Staff and management.
2. Ambiance if you like a true beach side resort (waves lapping at the shore when you go to sleep and wake up, russel of palm leaves, tropical breezes, etc.)
3. Great fishing and I've been told great diving (THE original dive resort going back to 60s.)
4. The bone fishing
5. They do feed you well - the food is not gourmet but it is very tasty,varied and includes local dishes (which I liked)
5. And did I mention great Staff and management.

The Bad:
1. Andros Island has biting insects (if you go the staff keeps a bottle of Skin So Soft on the outside bar - use it - it works. After the first day of a multi-day fishing event I used the Skin So Soft on my pants and seemed to be considerably less bothered than the guide or my buddy.
2. Have to fly through Nassau to get there and it just makes it a long day.
3. They don't have any guides for fly casting to blue water species like Dolphin but the captains can put you on them if you know what to do and can reign in their desire to bring back meat for the hotel, their families, etc.

Over all I give Small Hope Bay 2 thumbs up.

Room Tip: They charge extra for A/C but not needed most of year.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Martin P
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, 17 May 2013
Thanks for the review. I love the title, since that is exactly what we are going for here. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have some excellent fishing (bonefish, deep sea and reef) here. I agree the bugs can be a nuisance but we do try to spray with an eco-friendly solution, and the Skin So Soft does work wonders too. And you're right, it comes with being in an off-the-beaten-track place on a secluded tropical island. We loved having you here and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
carbondale, co
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

So this was our second trip to Small Hope bay lodge in Andros Bahamas, we loved it the first time, and loved it even more the second time. My fiance and I are fisherman, and have been to many different places, but Small Hope Bay lodge fulfills every desire we have for a vacation. The lodgings are simple, they are private, spacious and comfortable. The service is unparalleled, and the staff is amazing. We love the fact that once we book the trip, we dont worry about another detail. Once there, the staff makes sure that every part of your day is exactly how you want it. Everything is included, no extra bills, all the food and drinks that you want are included. The food...from 5 star dinners of lobster and grilled ribeye and homemade deserts, to breakfasts of fresh fruits, eggs, bacon, grits, french toast, juice and coffee. The staff packs your lunch in an ice chest, and then you go to the bar and fill it with whatever you want, for us it was 14 beers, sodas, and a 5 gallon jug of ice water. At night after dinner, a staff member finds each guest to plan the next days adventure, and any special lunch need you may have. As for the bone fishing, its everything you dream of, the guides are amazing, and you can catch bonefish from 5-10 lbs, every day, all day. The diving from wall dives to shark dives is excellent. If you want a no nonsense vacation of diving and or bone fishing, where very one of your needs is met, go to Small Hope Bay Lodge.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank conig11
It was so great having you guys here again. Thanks for the great review. I totally agree about the food, mmmmmmm. We are so happy that you two were able to get some great fishing in and that you had such a nice time. We can't wait to see you two again. Don't wait so long next time!
stevenson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013

Our initial impression was "oh dear". NOT that the site was misrepresented at all. We knew what to expect. Our final impression was " what a hidden gem!". So low key! The owner, Jeff, was present EVERY day,ALL day. We so admire his dedication, mission to the community ,staff and guests. If you need anything...the wonderful staff will do cartwheels to make it happen. ( except for the weather...lol). The rooms were nice size and the beds were extremely comfortable. The food was fresh and ample.
We are not divers,but had plenty to do...fishing, hammocking, reading. ( Thanks for fixing the hammock that we uhhum broke!).
Many thanks for a wonderful adventure. I know many new drinks!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lkymom1
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, 5 May 2013
Thank you for the review. I am so happy that you two enjoyed your stay. Jeff is a great guy and he definitely keeps both guests and staff smiling all the time. We hope you two will be back soon for another visit!
Los Banos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013

After almost 30 years foolishly away, I returned with my son... thank you for not changing! What a wonderful, idyllic place -- absolutely perfect for us. Small, intimate, friendly, relaxed, gorgeous, and fabulous diving. Not to mention wonderful snorkeling, kayaking, bird-watching, trail-walking, and bicycling to the batik factory! Small Hope Bay is totally focused on diving and snorkeling; no glitz, no mega-resort, and the nightlife centers on wonderful dinners together and the thatched-roof patio bar and the wonderful warm staff and fellow guests. As a new diver, my son received excellent support by the very professional dive masters, and went on tons of dives. I love the fact that you do not have to pay for any activities in advance -- you only pay at the end for what you actually participated in. WE WILL BE BACK!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Thanks for the lovely review Kim! We are glad you finally came back too, and that you brought your son. I know all the Divemasters had a great time diving with him and we all enjoyed cocktail hour with you two. We hope you both come back much sooner than 30 years and Forrest can get some more dives in!
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

So, my wife and I spent a week at Small Hope Bay Lodge for our honeymoon and let me tell you, it was absolutely fantastic. We had decided we wanted to do an all inclusive resort but we didn't want one of those big, 300 room, commercial joints. We wanted something smaller, more personal and more relaxing. Small Hope Bay Lodge was perfect. I can't imagine us ever going anywhere else in the Bahamas after staying there.

There is so much to do there. Diving, biking, bush medicine tours, blue hole tours, birding, several types of fishing, hammocking, kayaking, snorkeling or just relaxing with a delicious, cold beverage! I've never had a more enjoyable or relaxing vacation. It was my first time diving and the instructors are all top notch and I am officially in love with diving. First and foremost, the thing we loved most though, was the staff. You won't find a better, more friendly staff anywhere in the world. These people are truly amazing. So big shout out to every single person on the staff. From the ones who stayed up late with us and kept the drinks coming to all the people behind the scenes that we didn't get to see as much. You are all amazing! I could honestly write a several page review on Small Hope Bay Lodge and sing the praises of it and all of it's employees. Do yourselves a favor, go there! Now! Go for the diving or the fishing or the hammocking or kayaking or snorkeling or any of the other great activities they offer! Go for it all! And especially go for the people! Because they're pretty freaking awesome. They take incredible care of you, they make incredibly strong and delicious drinks and good Lord, the food! Oh sweet baby Jesus, the delicious food. Best week of just pure, face stuffing goodness I've ever had. You definitely end up feeling like part of the family while you are there. It's not a huge place so you get a lot of great, small group interaction and personal attention during activities like the Discover Scuba Diving class for example. It's peaceful and it's beautiful. If you're wanting something different and not wanting a tourist trap type of Bahamian vacation then go to Small Hope Bay Lodge! I'm going to stop now or else I'll just keep babbling on. Thanks again Small Hope, you guys rule! Pinkies out and cheers! ;)

Oh, and when you, yes YOU person reading this review and thinking about vacationing at Small Hope. When you do go, be sure and ask the bartender for a Stormageddon. You can thank me later.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks guys! We absolutely loved having you guys stay with us. I am so glad your honeymoon was a great one. We all hope it will become an annual visit from you. FYI the Stormageddon is already a huge hit! See you soon!
So Cal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

So my kids wanted to go to Atlantis..ride water slides, drink $12 virgin smoothies and empty my wallet. OK Kids, we can go there but we are NOT going to stay for a week! I call my travel agent and tell her to find me the opposite of that and do 4 days of each. Holy moly did she hit the nail on the head!

After 4 days at Small Hope, we (including the kids), didn't want to leave. It truly was the epitome of escaping life as you know it. A real "Bahamanian" experience. Didn't touch the cellphone or ipad the whole time, snorkeled, my kids learned to scuba, jumped in the blue hole and ate incredible, fresh, local food and was taken care of by a truly caring staff that genuinely wants you to relax, have fun and cut loose.

I can see that it wouldn't be for everyone....i.e....if you are looking for "luxury", if you lack social skills, a romantic walk on a desolate beach makes you cringe, you like to sit in in your room and watch TV instead of play in the ocean, and absolutely you don't want to go if you love having to reach into your wallet 8 times a day.

We can't wait to go back and stay until Jeff kicks us out

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the great review! I am so happy you and the kids enjoyed your stay here. It is true that we are just about as different as can be from Atlantis. That said many of our guests have opted for the "best of both worlds" experience like you and your family. A little excitement at the big touristy resort followed by some welcome relaxation and island fun at Small Hope. It sounds like it was a good mix for you guys. We hope to see you all back here for more fun soon!
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

A story: During our stay at Small Hope Bay Lodge, my daughter and I used the available bikes and rode over to the Batik Factory for a tour and a lesson. While the word factory may be grandiose for this small enterprise, we had fun creating our own batik panels with the help of the staff. A few other people from the Lodge came too, by car, and we all learned this easy technique together.Together we selected a bright turquoise for all of our panels. We were told the panels would be delivered in 24 hours to the Lodge. And they were. However, one that my daughter made was missing. No worries. We had made 6 panels and were happy with the 5 we did have. The staff at the hotel was certainly more concerned than we were. Yesterday, a package arrived at our home- yes the missing panel of bright blue batik!
For me this story illustrates the sweetly personal service you can expect at Small Hope Bay Lodge. Combine that with the gorgeousness of the location, the delicious food, the laid back vibe, the dedicated, friendly staff, the reasonable pricing and you have to ask yourself, "Why wouldn't you go to this place?"
During our brief stay we met a slew of fun people, staff and guests alike at the communal meals, rode bikes, snorkeled, tried scuba, fished, sunbathed, made our own batik and enjoyed a tasty Easter dinner that included a show stopping 23 desserts! Small Hope Bay Lodge is not a fancy place, and by day two of your stay there, you will realize you don't need fancy in a place like this.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Thank you for the great review. I am glad you received your last piece of Androsia fabric. It sounds like you guys had a great time here and that is always what we hope and try for. I am happy you were able to experience so many of the things that make us unique - diving, snorkeling, Batik making, and of course our Easter feast. We really go all out for our holiday meals! We loved you having you here and hope to see you all again soon!