“Male Bonding TrIp For A Grandfather”

Small Hope Bay Lodge
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Male Bonding TrIp For A Grandfather”
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Took my Grandson along with my two sons and son in law on a four day trip to heaven with no TV,Happy People,Open Bar for me and a laid back atmosphere..Watching your !6 year old catch his first bone fish was just about as good as shooting his first duck..The guides were special and my grandson can cast 100 feet with little effort(no wind)...What a wonderful experence and we are still trying to decide who caught the most fish...Lawrence Smith

Room Tip: It is like Boy Scout Camp for adults/Family..The air might or might not work but plenty of fans and...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, 16 June 2013
Thanks for the great review Lawrence! I am so happy the five of you had a wonderful time. We have some amazing bonefishing here and I am glad you all got a taste of it. Next time we hope you can stay a bit longer!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Georgia
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Just returned from the Small Hope Bay Lodge on Andros. The food, diving and rooms were second to none. But the best part was the staff. Every person from divemaster to chefs treated me like a king. If you are looking for a great dive and relax spot, make sure to try my new favorite Bahama location ..... Small Hope Bay Lodge on Andros Island.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Thanks so much for the great review! We really enjoyed having you here and I am so happy you enjoyed your stay. Looking forward to seeing you again!
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I recently celebrated my 70th birthday (a few weeks early) at Small Hope Bay on Andros. I cannot think of another place I would rather have done so.The staff-all of them- were so helpful and so much fun. I never saw a frown or a grumpy attitude. I did some diving(not enough) and all of the dive staff are simply great, proficient, efficient, and fun! Special thanks to Dennis and Fede! Sassy on the dive boat added to the fun. Small Hope Bay Lodge is not a luxury resort-thank heaven for that! The food and drinks were great, we liked out room(14), and enjoyed the trip to the Androsian Batik factory. Loved the extreme caution and bravado certificates!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank carol p
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Thanks Carol! And Happy Birthday again! We are so happy the two of you enjoyed yourselves here. I agree - Dennis and Fede are awesome, as is the rest of the dive crew. It's hard to be grumpy at this beautiful and relaxed place. And Sassy, the dog, on the dive boat is a treat. Come see us again soon (and remember to exercise Extreme Caution and Bravado!).
Sanibel Island, Florida
Reviewed 27 May 2013

My wife and I and my adult son just returned from a diving vacation at Small Hope. We live in the Tropics ourselves but were looking for some Bahama "bottom time". We came away with a better and wonderful experience during the surface intervals.
Don't come here for a luxury resort with a million activities. Laid back, vacation minded people are what this resort caters to. The staff from the office to the kitchen to the dive shop were some of the happiest, most gracious people you will meet. I would not single out anyone of them as they were all so good to us. The family who owns and runs the place have over 50 years of experience on this Island. I personally believe Jeff has been "narced" one too many times, which makes him a perfect host for the guests.
The guests that this resort generally attracts are like minded and enjoy a good time. The conversations at cocktail hours are lively and animated. The food is mostly Bahamian in style and there is always something for every taste. Newlyweds, couples and singles should enjoy whether you want diving, fishing or just "vegging out".
Regards to all and thanks for allowing us to be part of your Family for a week!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank enzoed
Thanks for the great review. I am glad you three enjoyed your stay with us. We loved having you here. You hit the nail on the head about Small Hope - great conversations, very laid back place to relax, and great diving! Those are my favorite things about this place. We hope you guys come back soon! P.S. I hope you guys are fully recovered from your colds.
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, United States
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We had such an adventure on Andros while staying at Small Hope Bay Lodge. Small Hope is such a special place and the staff here is so amazing, the took care of us like we were family. If you love hiking, exploring, snorkeling, diving, fishing and just plain old relaxation, I definatley reccomend this lovely piece of paradise. We did the blue hole tour, snorkel tour, suba tour and took advantage of their many other activities like sailing, paddle boards and kayaks. The hot tub right on the beach is a must, so relaxing. We loved the mixologists and Dennis makes an amazing Black Monkey (only one though, just wait to you see what's in this drink!). Book your trip to Small Hope Bay, you won't regret it! We will definatley be returning to our new forever friends, the staff at SHBL!

Room Tip: They are all Great, cottages only.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much Kathy! You guys were so great. I am glad you had a wonderful time and got to experience a little of everything that makes Andros so special. I agree with you about the Black Monkeys - delicious, but a little goes a long way! We can't wait to see the two of you again very soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 May 2013

My son and I went there for a fishing trip as a present to him for finishing up at college. I read the reviews before hand, but we were still just expecting a couple days of fishing. We had a great time. Jeff and all the staff were very professional and friendly. The rooms are little more than sparce cottages, but that was kind of cool and it really added to the "laid back attitude". There were "maybe" 50 people there last weekend. There are probably 10-15 hammocks spread out beside of the cabins, I can't tell you the last time I read a book in a hammock, but it was very relaxing and I really enjoyed it. This isn't a 4 or 5 star resort in amenities as it has very few, but it is a 5 star in how comfortable and at home they make you feel. Go to small hope if you want a beautiful and laid back vacation.

The only negative is getting there. Maybe that is why it feels like a hidden secret spot.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JDhappyfeet
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, 17 May 2013
Thanks for the review Joe. It was great having the two of you here. And thanks for the great Mahi Mahi catch. It was the best sashimi ever!!! I am glad you guys got to enjoy the laid back atmosphere here. It is one of my favorite things about Small Hope. Hope to see you both again!
NorCal
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Small Hope is a laid back, not fancy, very comfortable (if you discount the various insects which await you outside your room - but it is Andros Island - and that's part of it).

The Good:
1. Staff and management.
2. Ambiance if you like a true beach side resort (waves lapping at the shore when you go to sleep and wake up, russel of palm leaves, tropical breezes, etc.)
3. Great fishing and I've been told great diving (THE original dive resort going back to 60s.)
4. The bone fishing
5. They do feed you well - the food is not gourmet but it is very tasty,varied and includes local dishes (which I liked)
5. And did I mention great Staff and management.

The Bad:
1. Andros Island has biting insects (if you go the staff keeps a bottle of Skin So Soft on the outside bar - use it - it works. After the first day of a multi-day fishing event I used the Skin So Soft on my pants and seemed to be considerably less bothered than the guide or my buddy.
2. Have to fly through Nassau to get there and it just makes it a long day.
3. They don't have any guides for fly casting to blue water species like Dolphin but the captains can put you on them if you know what to do and can reign in their desire to bring back meat for the hotel, their families, etc.

Over all I give Small Hope Bay 2 thumbs up.

Room Tip: They charge extra for A/C but not needed most of year.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Martin P
Thanks for the review. I love the title, since that is exactly what we are going for here. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have some excellent fishing (bonefish, deep sea and reef) here. I agree the bugs can be a nuisance but we do try to spray with an eco-friendly solution, and the Skin So Soft does work wonders too. And you're right, it comes with being in an off-the-beaten-track place on a secluded tropical island. We loved having you here and look forward to seeing you again soon!