“Perfect Honeymoon Spot!”

Small Hope Bay Lodge
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I cannot say enough good things about Small Hope Bay Lodge. We went here for our honeymoon, and had the most fabulous time. We were looking for something in the Bahamas but wanted to avoid any corporate-type resorts, and we hit the jackpot with Small Hope Bay Lodge. The staff was beyond amazing: friendly, helpful, engaging. The food was so much better than anything you would expect from an all inclusive resort. The beach and landscape were picturesque and lovely. Neither my husband nor I are fishermen or divers but we were able to take advantage of both while there (Glister was a superb fishing guide!). If you are considering a place in the Bahamas and want something both intimate and fun, look no further!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Thanks for the great review! It was really great meeting you two. I am so glad you were able to try fishing and diving, as we have some of the best in the world of both of those! Congratulations again and we all hope to see you guys back here soon!!!

There are newer reviews for Small Hope Bay Lodge

Reviewed 19 March 2014

From the moment I found Small Hope Bay on Trip Advisor I knew we would love it. We built the rest of our trip to the Bahamas (our first visit) around our stay here. This is our kind of place. Small, family run, dive centric, eco friendly and in the most amazing location.

Our flights were included in our package and we flew on a tiny plane from Nassau for all of 15 minutes! When we arrived we were greeted warmly, given a drink, provided with a tour of the grounds and an explanation of all the services, trips, etc available. We new instantly that this is as close to paradise as we could find.

The setting is beautiful; lovely sandy beaches fringed by palm trees, beach front cabins - all the cliches without it being a cliche. Whether you want to simply soak in the sun, visit blue holes, go kayaking, diving, on bicycle rides; it is up to you; you can do as little or as much as you like.

It is hard to sum up what is so special about the place but I will try - the people are amazing. The owners and their family, the people who work there and the people who visit are all great and make it a unique place to be. People couldn't be friendlier or more helpful. I did some diving and the dive staff couldn't have been more fun, friendly, patient, helpful and informative.

Food is a ritual here and rightly so - the chef comes out and anounces what is for dinner and we all ate outside as long as the weather held. The food is fantastic and plentiful. We spent our evenings chatting to people at the bar, playing table tennis and counting our blessings!

The cabins were great - don't take too many clothes as there are no big wardrobes here - and everywhere was very clean and pristine and well maintained. There is a small boutique which seems to have pretty much everything you need altough we were told that if we wanted something they didn't have they would try and fly it in - now that is amazing service.

We loved it, can you tell from this review?! Our only disappointment was that we couldn't stay longer.

Thank you Small Hope Bay, if we come back to the Bahamas it will be because we are coming to visit you.

2  Thank CatherineandCraig
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Thanks for the lovely review! I am so happy you enjoyed you stay. You're exactly right - you can do as much or as little as you want. The diving, fishing, snorkeling, kayaking, and nature tours are awesome! But, like our t-shirt says, we do NOTHING better than anyone! Looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Just back from Small Hope and very hard to pull on my snow boots and don my winter jacket again. I haven't had this much difficulty coming back to reality from a trip in a long time (and we've done some pretty amazing trips!).

I think the thing that struck me the most about Small Hope was the staff: they work so hard to make you feel at home, included and special. A trip like this can be risky when travelling with teens but our 15 and 17 yr. old boys had a blast - we were fortunate that there were some other families with teens there at the same time as us but even if there weren't, our boys enjoyed spending time with staff and guests of all ages. That's just the kind of atmosphere that permeates Small Hope.

The nitty gritty:
- the Discover Scuba Dive course for our boys (first time divers) went off without a hitch. The dive masters somehow manage to take their work and the safety of the guest divers very seriously while at the same time keeping everyone relaxed and having a good, fun time.
- the rooms are rustic but super-clean and the beds are very comfortable. I want to cry when I think of the view from our bedroom window... Sigh...
- the food: down-home, fresh, local and healthy. Desserts very satisfying!
- the open bar: they mean what they say! Pina Colada, where are you?
- staff in general: work hard, always smiling and helpful.
- dining room, games room, lounge, beach, hot tub, bikes, grounds: perfect. What else do you need, really?

Yes, I would return. There's little doubt there. If you go, I hope you enjoy it as much as my family did!

Small Hope, Family Vacation, All Inclusive Resort, Scuba Diving or Andros Island, Bahamas.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Linda B
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thanks for the great review Linda! I am so happy you and your family had such a great vacation. It was wonderful getting to meet you all, and thanks for the lovely comments about our stellar staff. We can't wait to see you all again!

Reviewed 12 March 2014

This is my first review on TripAdvisor. Nowhere else I've ever stayed inspired me to leave a review here. Small Hope Bay Lodge was different.

I went with a group of friends for a special trip for a week. We met in Nassau and traveled to Andros Island on the flight arrranged by the lodge.

Upon arrival it was clear that this was not your average all inclusive resort. We were warmly welcomed, offered a drink and told how things work at Small Hope.

If you're not into diving or fishing there is still plenty to do here if you don't want to sit and relax the whole time. Walking, swimming, eating, drinking and cycling were a few activities we enjoyed. Most of our group took a couple of cycling trips to Fresh Creek and Capt Bill's Blue Hole. The lodge now has a number of brand new bikes to choose from.

To sum up, the food and drinks are great but it's the staff that really makes the difference. They were the most friendly, welcoming folks I've ever encountered and really make you feel at home. I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Thank you so much for the great review. It was such a pleasure having you guys here. All the staff really had a wonderful time getting to know you. You are right, we are not the typical all-inclusive resort. We really get the best guests and THAT is what sets us apart. Looking forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Small Hope made our Honeymoon the best experience I've had in my life.

While my fiance at the time was working on some of the logistical things for the wedding, I worked on the honeymoon portion. We knew we wanted to do something tropical and it had to be under 7 hours of flight time (not including delays and lay-overs). I probably looked at every island in the Caribbean, Hawaii, Cruise Ship, and more for options. I made an excel sheet showing the pluses and minuses of each as well as what fun things there would be to do at each location. The first place I emailed was Small Hope and within just a few hours they had responded to my two paragraph email with 13 paragraphs (I literally went back to the email now and counted). I continued emailing them and always received the most impressive emails ever.

Started to get serious about Small Hope being the location for our honeymoon, despite the distance from San Diego to the Bahamas as well as the per night cost (wife doesn't drink), and so I started thinking about what we would do there. There is so much to do! Their website does a fantastic job of telling you what you can do but there is no one to tell you what you should do! It's a huge difference and one I appreciated. Neither of us dive and neither of us are that active. Ultimately, we chose Small Hope not for the diving or extra activities (though they were nice to see as options, but because the water looked warm and clear, the service looked great, it was far away from everyone, and not a typical resort.

We made a mistake on our traveling day and stayed up all day before the red eye flight. We then had 15 hours of traveling to get to Small Hope. When we got there, we had been up for 45 hours and were ready to sleep. The second the Taxi driver (shout out to Hamilton who is the best Taxi driver i have ever had) dropped us off, a wonderful lady from the office (I'm sorry I can't remember your name!) brought us immediately to the bar where I was fixed a very potent drink. That was before any talk of paperwork was mentioned or anything serious. After some confusion, probably on my part, about us not having the Honeymoon package we thought we had, they told us to wait 10 minutes (more like 30 but it was the Bahamas and I had a stiff drink so i didn't mind) they would set up our room properly for the honeymoon package. It ended up costing the same and we had oh so many things.

We got walked to our private room where they had put petals all over the floor, champagne chilled in a container, 1 ticket for a breakfast in bed, 1 ticket for a stay on a private island, shot glasses, and some batik. It was wonderful. Our room was just 15 or so steps from the beach. It was at that moment that we realized we chose right and everything was worth it.

Throughout our stay we were constantly surprised at so many things. Ever single person (minus 2 people at Nasau International Airport not associated with Small Hope) we met in the Bahamas were some of the nicest people we met. When wanted to go Kayaking, for example, at Fresh Creek (a beautiful long freshwater river a mile or so away), they just told us what time we wanted to go and they loaded up the kayaks for us with snorkeling gear and everything. They gave us two bikes, a map of great places to see, and a smile. The gentleman who dropped off the kayaks asked if there was anything else he could do and then helped me get the kayak in the water. By the way, I highly recommend that tour. There were no sounds except the birds in the mangroves and the water lapping against the kayak. It was serenely quiet. Back to the people: they were all wonderful. At no point did they ever stop being nice and helpful. You want to go to the island? They packed up snacks for us with drinks in a cooler for our trip. They washed our clothes for us, cleaned our rooms amazingly well, made drinks with a smile, were super patient with us, and always made us feel welcome and that we had been there many times before. Another amazing thing that I hadn't seen in a review is that the kitchen staff is AMAZING. It was honestly shocking how quick dinner was served and then plates taken away when you were done. I can't think of a time when my empty plate was sitting there for more than a minute. The food was amazing as well! Whether it be lobster, Argentinian steak, good ole fashioned burgers, conch chowder, and conch fritters, everything was just amazing.

The location too is perfect. The water is absolutely stunning. Never seen anything like it. For probably close a mile, the water depth is between 6-10 feet continuously. It is perfect for snorkeling and I loved it. The water temperature was between 75-78 degrees and this was march. It rained some when we got there but it went away after a few minutes. The staff was so perfect that my wife and I felt comfortable enough to try diving. While she didn't enjoy it so much, I went ahead and did two 40 foot dives. Becki, one of the dive staff, was literally next to me the entire time I was underwater and made me feel super safe. By the way, we were literally the only dive boat out there each day I went out. Stunning.

I could go on and on, and have done so, but the take away is that this was wonderful. Jeff Birch, his family, and staff have made something that many of us there considered one of the best kept secrets in the world. I don't understand how they are able to have vacancies and not be on a waiting list for years. By the way, I gave Jeff a hug when I was leaving and he got so happy to see me happy. It honestly felt like family.

If I had a few minor complaints it would be these: the water takes at least 5 minutes to get warm in the shower, the pressure is very low, I wish there was a bartender there at all times (you're encouraged to make your own drinks), and I didn't like the weird mosquitos they have there (they don't buzz apparently, just bite and super small so they are hard to see). That is literally all I have to say that is slightly wrong. Maybe it being so expensive (relatively?). Was unfortunate for my wife since you can only pay the all-inclusive rate and my wife doesn't drink so we essentially paid extra for the drinks she wouldn't drink.

I highly recommend any of you reading this who want peace and relaxation to consider Small Hope Bay Lodge. There is so much great about this place that even this lengthy review can't cover all of it. The other guests you meet there too are great as they are all after the same thing you are. We met a lovely older couple named Barbara and Bruce who were our favorite people to have meals with. I highly recommend this place. We will be back VERY soon.

Room Tip: Most cabins have a shared bathroom between two units. Decide if you need your own bathroom. Every ca...
1  Thank David J

Thanks for the wonderful review David! I am so happy you two had a great honeymoon! I've said it before but I'll say it again - our office staff is amazing. They are so wonderful about responding quickly and providing all the information you need. And the kitchen . . . Wow. They continue to outdo themselves. You really are part of the family now! The atmosphere, the staff, the food, and the beautiful Bahamas beach and waters are the things that make this pace so wonderful.

A note about the water temperature: We have recently switched over to solar hot water for all our guest cabins, lounge, kitchen, and hot tub. While this is a great step toward making our resort even more energy efficient and environmentally conscious, there were still some things that were being improved on that system while you were here. On your next stay you will see they have been addressed! Congrats again on your wedding!

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Because most people travel as couples and in groups, as I single traveler and diver, I typically read up 12 novels and sometimes more on a one-week vacation...at Small Hope... I barely made it through 3 in 10 days.

I chose Small Hope because of Nicky and Linda in the front office. I called other hotels in the Bahamas with questions about their resorts and diving and was politely but firmly told: "All of that information is on our website if you look..." When I persisted, I was shutdown pretty quickly. When I emailed I got obviously "cut and pasted" formatted answers...

I had real human-to-human chats with Nicky and Linda. When Nicky promised to call back with the necessary info re a single room - I was skeptical. The phone rang five-minutes later... it was Nicky and he'd figured it out for me.

I arrived and got the tour from Linda... she seemed surprised when I asked for a room key... but found one for me. The first few days, I locked my door out of habit.. and big city paranoia.

But after that, somehow - I couldn't be bothered... that Small Hope vibe had given me a certain comfort level and I left it unlocked and open with my work laptop, passport, credit cards, cameras, and oh yes, my cash - lying around - I'm not tidy by nature!

Was that smart? Likely not - but here's the thing - I came home with everything except a pair of socks that I'd left in the dive gear room... gotta love that! And oops.. I inadvertently came home with 2X2 lbs. in my BCD. Sorry!

The rooms are not fancy or luxe... but my bed was comfie... lots of pillows, plenty of towels... I was never hot. Asked for an extra blanket and it arrived in minutes.

Food is great - despite my pre-trip workout and bikini efforts -the chocolate pie(s) were irresistible. If it tastes amazing - those extra calories are worth it!

They don't cheap out on the food - hello shrimp, lobster, TUNA STEAK and tenderlicious beef steak. YUM. I'm not a big fan of carbs and while the homemade potato chips (handcut), scallop type, potato salad, couscous etc are fab - there were lots of veggie and salad alternatives. I'd cook the tuna a tad less (I like red versus pinkish) and ditto on the chicken tho that surely would have ensured complaints.

I love that hot chocolate, tea (regular and about 10 herbal varieties) are available always - my only complaint - the hot water and coffee aren't hot eno but if you ask they'll boil some.

Is there eno to do here? Well I did 16 dives in 7 days... and I meant to walk the beach, sail the Escape, kayak, hike, visit blue holes and hot tub but somehow I feel asleep whenever I wasn't underwater.

Depending on the season - bring long sleeves, 1 sweater, and maybe long pants. I'm a big wimp and wore a wool sweater one night and an entire wardrobe of fleece hoodies... especially valuable on the dive boat.

The diving:
I saw more fish in Fiji and the Maldives but it's not a fair comparison and consider the airfare and travel time tradeoffs. I've never had more fun on a trip or a dive boat than at SHB.

The dive staff are extraordinary (Dennis, Becky, Claudis, Fedi, Tony) - I saw them show compassion, generosity of spirit and caring kindness with a number of divers who needed helped due to physical issues or nerves.

The Shark dive rocked my world...

Despite the fact my Toronto dive shop checked out my reg and BCD before my trip - I had failures on both - Fedi managed to fix one, then another part failed and finally my BCD went... I used their equipment for a bunch of dives. TX guys!

They had a good laugh over the air-conehead I get with my hood and suggested holes... when I mentioned that Gary from Washington was determined to chase my hood with a knife.. the staff offered to make pretty, tidy, stable holes in a pretty pattern with a melting device - tx. Adam and Dennis.

Small Hope really is like summer camp for adults and despite the fact I loathed summer camp - I adored Small Hope - go figure.

Back in the snow and ice and grey - I miss Small Hope and its people more than ever.

I came home grinning!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank karadiver
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Thanks for such a great review!!! I'm so happy you had a great time. We definitely had a blast with you too. I agree with you, our office staff is really wonderful. Don't worry about the pies though, on vacation there are no calories, right? I'm glad you got to unwind and relax here. This is definitely the place for it. We hope to see you again soon. Maybe you can try out the rest of the stuff on your list next time! Stay warm.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

If you are looking for a truly laid back vacation without all the fluff and frills of a typical tropical hotel I would highly recommend Small Hope.
No trained dolphins
No piped in music from speakers hidden in manicured landscape
No highrises
Fishing
Snorkeling
SCUBA
Kayaking
Bike riding on bumpy roads
Exploring
Playing ping pong
Reading
Eating local food
Enjoying the company of only 30+ others who are there for the same reason you are.
It's the most REAL tropical vacation you will ever experience.

Room Tip: All of the rooms (20?) are on ground level and look out to the water. Even the "furthest"...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Donna K
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Thanks for such a great review Donna! It was great meeting you and your family. I am so happy you were all able to enjoy the things that make Small Hope special - the beach, the relaxation, getting away from it all, the great company here. I hope to see you guys back again for more fishing, relaxing, and maybe another dance party!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Andros
Swain's Cay Lodge
#1 of 23 in Andros
The Pointe Resort
The Pointe Resort
#2 of 5 in Andros

Been to Small Hope Bay Lodge? Share your experiences!