We visited SHB for the first time in June 2014. We are a family of 4 (2 kids - 9 and 11) and we met another family of 4, also with 2 kids (9 and 10). My husband and I completed our PADI open water certification upon arrival, and participated in 4 to 5 dives once we were certified. Fede was our dive master and he was fantastic. Very patient, clear and calm.
We had never been on a vacation to a place that was this small, rather remote and "family style" and we absolutely loved it. It was such a breath of fresh air to be so unplugged and able to truly relax. We had a hard time saying good bye. We only stayed 7 days and recommend at least a 10 day stay, to really unwind and unplug from life. The kids didn't even miss the electronics and were outside playing and enjoying the freedom.
The rooms are simple but clean and comfortable. All of the "cabins" are water front so I am not sure one is better than another. The rooms are clean and freshened up everyday. Meals are prepared each day by a wonderful staff and there is a wide variety of options and everything was good! There was plenty of Kalik (beer) on ice every hour of every day, as well as a fully stocked bar if you like your cocktails. Happy hour is fun, with yummy appetizers followed by a buffet dinner. Following dinner is a video from the dives of the day (or the snorkel trip of the day :) )
The snorkeling was excellent, even right off the beach or dock. We took a boat out to "Goat key" (about 5 minutes) and spent several hours and it was just our 2 families and a cooler of drinks and fruit. It was really gorgeous and private and lovely.
The staff was very attentive and the interns were wonderful. My kids both agreed that they want to intern at this resort when they are in college!
We had a really wonderful experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We have been catering to scuba divers, snorkelers, fishermen, eco-tourists, and relaxers since 1960. Third largest barrier reef in the world and bonefish heaven. There are 21 all-inclusive rooms in cottages right on the beach. Come experience our unique ambience, friendly staff, and natural safe environment. Our dock and dive shop are right on property and fishing trips are easily arranged. Of course, if grabbing a drink, a book, and a hammock are more your style, go right ahead. We have 2 beaches and plenty of hammocks. Rest, Relaxation, and Rediscovery ... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Small Hope Bay Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Small Hope Bay Hotel Andros
- Small Hope Bay Resort
- Small Hope Bay Lodge Andros, Bahamas