“So lovely”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Charlottesville
“So lovely”
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Our family has been to many luxury resorts and villas in the Caribbean, and though I have enjoyed myselft at all of them, Kamalame is the first one I want to go back to. I felt that way from the day we arrived. The water is as beautiful as anywhere we have been - all those shades of blue and green with soft white sand below. The inception of Kamalame was as a bone fishing spot, and according to the seasoned bone fishermen we encountered and my husband - it's one of the best spots around. David and his family have developed it over the years to offer much more than that though. There is an amazing spa at the end of the pier over the water, a well maintained tennis court on the edge of the beach, a Padi certified dive center, kayaks, a catamaran and beach volleyball all set up and ready for your use.

Something I also loved is that there is a rack of bicycles there for the taking. We stayed in a house which was a little more than a mile away from the resort center down the sand road and we just had one golf cart for the three of us. My husband and son took the cart early each morning to meet their bone fishing guide, and I rode a bike back and forth through the half open, half tree shaded path. It was a simple pleasure to do so.

I did a refresher dive course with Mark and he was the best. I had had a bad experience in Jamaica with a rushed, disorganized dive operation from which I bailed at the last minute. I was feeling insecure about my ability and nerves and Mark took me out solo, had me run through all the basics and get my bearings again. Unfotunately, we did the refresher dive the day before we left, so I didn't get to go on a "real" dive to try and find the more unusual and diverse marine life. My husband and son saw muliple sting rays, sharks, turtles and barracuda while fishing. The visability is incredible.

We bought the "guest of the house" inclusive package which means that all your food and drinks are included and you get discounts on the spa treatments. There are two fully stocked bars at the resort's center and you can make your own drink just the way you like it - which I loved - or there is always someone on hand to make it for you. Every day the staff drops off freshly baked cookies to you house/room which was also a nice touch.

My only desire would be to have wifi in the rooms. Micheal - David's partner - told me that not having wifi in the rooms is intentional as so many guests love to be relieved of the pressure to be plugged in (and available to the office : ), but I would have liked to have the option to do research etc from our room in the quiet evening after dinner. At any rate, they are gonig to upgrade the system available in the office and sitting room - which is spotty right now.

We will be back! And next time my husband wants to try the less-explored deep sea fishing they offer which is just on the other side of the near-by reef.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Caballo
Reviewed 5 March 2013

My husband and I stayed at Kamalame Cay Resort the week of Feb 28-Mar 3.
This was our second stay and it was even better than the first time.
The staff and the owners of this resort are the epitome of hospitality. David is always so kind and makes an effort to speak with each and every guest to make sure their stay is optimal.
The food was good and plentiful but Ricardo's absence was evident. It was a tad cold during our stay but we rode bikes, played tennis and walked around the resort. My husband and I had the time together that we were craving. Kiva and Bernadice were the ladies that kept our room clean and well stocked. The ladies were a joy to meet and we truly enjoyed visiting with them.
The booking and reservation staff were very professional and made our planning worry free.
Thank you, Priscarlo, Yanique and Rebecca you are awesome.

Note: Make sure to take bug spray the bugs ate me alive but for some reason they don't bite my
husband.

Room Tip: The Casaurina cottage was wonderful. Beautiful views, privacy.
2 Thank Deborah N
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 4 March 2013

So - if you need to rejuvenate your self - this is nirvana .... My wife and I had the fortune of spending several days at kamalame cay. Such a unique experience.... No locks on the doors, open windows, ocean breezes, brilliant stars , blue water 50 feet from a private cottage... Sort of like Gilligans island - but with resort services and accommodations .... We chose the all inclusive package - highly recommend it. We met some other couples and had after dinner conversations - and those drinks alone made us come out ahead...
Not enough good words to describe our experience - also met the director/owner David - he and the whole staff makes sure everything is perfect.... Thanks David !!
Steve and Amanda D ...

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 23 February 2013

If your looking for your own private island where you have 3 miles of beautiful beach all to your self, privacy, and yet still all the amenities of a 5 star hotel but with a relaxed and homey feel, this is the place for you! The staff was willing to facilitate any request that would make our stay more perfect. Our cottage was beautiful with windows that wrapped around with a panoramic view of the ocean. It was for our 1 year anniversary and my wife unlike me, has seen many a bahama's beach resort, so a tough customer to impress, but I DID! She had not experienced a place like this. With the privacy, beautiful untouched beaches, giant bath tub and outdoor private shower. Wrap around porch 20 feet from the beach. You even get your own personal golf cart to get around and explore the island. I could go on... Bottom line, You can't go wrong with Kamalame Cay, it's family owned and the farthest thing from a cookie cutter corporate resort, and yet it is top notch in every way. The internet was spotty in the internet room (the only place you can get it at this time) not their fault- about what you could expect from a satellite signal in the middle of nowhere so prepare. bring downloaded movies and tv shows if you need em. We will be going back for sure. After staying at this little hidden gem we are pretty sure other resorts couldn't stand up to the most personal tropical vacation you could ever have 50 miles from Miami or anywhere!

New Haven, Vermont
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We just got back from 5 days at Kamalame Cay and I still can't believe I was in such a beautiful place. From check-in to check-out, we were SO taken care of. Colette and Leah at the office made sure everything was right from the start and made sure everything was perfect for our entire stay. The room was exceptional - amazing views, fully stocked bar, great amenities. The housekeeping staff was terrific; so friendly and quick to do their work. They even helped push us back to our room when our golf cart ran out of juice on an excursion we took (our fault completely). We took many jaunts in the "sand chariot" to the end of the island where we could explore the mangroves and find even more secluded beaches to stroll on.
We chose to be guests of the house and we would do that again for sure. We drank as we pleased, visited the great house for all our meals (which were beyond amazing) and felt like the island was ours. Patrice and Samson, as well as the rest of the group, were so friendly at the great house. Anything we wanted, they made it happen. Truly amazing service.
Another standout person on the island was Mark. We booked a snorkel trip to Rat Cay with Mark which was so fun. We saw sting ray and three nurse sharks. Unreal. He also speared a lobster on our trip, that was brought to the kitchen and served to us the next night. Such a cool experience.
David and Micheal were so welcoming and made you feel right at home. They even broke the "no tv" vibe for one night, creating the ultimate superbowl party on the beach - full bar, fried chicken, or anything else you wanted off the menu, and really great people. It was a night to remember.
We had such an amazing time at Kamalame Cay. The feeling that the Hew family has created is truly unique. A private island where you feel so far away from it all, yet you have everything you could ever want. They have really nailed it, and the guests that go and enjoy have to be able to unplug and relax - the only itinerary there is to chill out and take it all in.

Lake Worth, Florida
Reviewed 5 February 2013

We loved Kamalame Cay so much during our honeymoon that it was a "no-brainer" for me to surprise my wife with a return visit for our first wedding anniversary. We were treated like royalty once again from the second we were greeted at the ferry with a smile. Everyone from the Hew family, to the chefs and servers at the Great House, to the housekeepers and landscapers made us feel like family. The food and service is likely the best anywhere in the Bahamas - trust us when we say we have covered most of the islands. Samson's smile and laughter is contagious and his pina coladas were the best we've ever had, yum! Tito the landscaper even serenaded us while trimming the coconut palms. The accommodations are pleasantly secluded and plush. The beaches are pristine and the water is crystal clear. The bonefishing guides are friendly, patient and know their way around the flats - they will no doubt put you on the elusive silver ghosts. The island is eco-friendly which is an added bonus. This little slice of heaven is literally the only place we have found where we can completely "check out" and forget about life for awhile. In Kamalame Cay, you are truly on "island time" - no clocks, no schedules, no television, it's truly a "no-brainer" because your mind is completely at ease. There are absolutely no worries except knowing when it is time to catch your ride back to the airport. We can't wait to return again for our next anniversary getaway.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Our Kamalame Cay experience was unforgettable. From the golf carts they give you to get around, and the fact that you have your own private bungalow so it feels like you actually live there (if only for a few nights), to all the low-stress details such as serve yourself bar, and morning 'news,' which is delivered with coffee and pastries each morning, we loved every minute.

We felt at home after just one night, this was partly because the staff are so friendly and helpful, they interact with you in a more relaxed and personal way than is typical. David and Michael the managers were lovely hosts, Mike and Mark were the cool daytime activities dudes and very knowledgeable of the island, and Samson, Patrice and Randio were among the lovely great house and dining staff.

Our room was also amazing, very spacious with a huge stone bathroom, lying in bed watching the sand and sea with the breeze blowing though the open french doors was heaven.

We could not recommend Kamalame Cay more highly. A+AT

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adam P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Andros
Love At First Sight Hotel
#2 of 9 in Andros
Nathan's Lodge
Nathan's Lodge
#3 of 23 in Andros

Been to Kamalame Cay? Share your experiences!