“seascape - my favourite escape”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Andros
Seascape Inn, Andros
Ranked #1 of 5 Andros B&B and Inns
Scotland
“seascape - my favourite escape”
Reviewed 14 August 2007

I have stayed at Seascape 3 times and had a wonderful holiday every visit.. Joan and Mickey (Owners) are so friendly and welcoming and the atmosphere is very relaxed. The individual cabanas are private and comfortable and the food is great - My favourite is Joans bannana muffins for breakfast.. The sea is warm and the beach beautiful. They have bicycles,canoes & water toys. Snorkelling at the blue holes is a wonderful experience. (You can also scuba dive and bone fish)
I love the peace and quiet at seascape.. I would certainly recommend Seascape as a relaxing escape from city life.

• Liked — Private individual cabanas right on the beach front
  • Disliked — would like a mini fridge in room
  • Stayed June 2005, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Florida
Reviewed 8 August 2007

We wanted a laid back relaxing weekend on an Island that was mostly undeveloped in the Bahamas. We set out on an adventure to Mangrove Cay on Andros Island. We found Joan and Mickey and the Seascape Inn. Joan and Mickey along with Beebee, Benny, Magoo, and Dot were excellent hosts. Joan baked fresh pastries each morning and Mickey prepared wonderful meals (especially desserts) for lunch and dinner. They did give us directions to blue holes that we could walk and or kayak to. They also set us up with local guides. One took us to several blue holes and a reef by boat while the other took us for a walk to the caves in the “bush” of the Island. We bicycled to a hole that was more inland where we saw a green turtle. The cabins were simple and clean. We enjoyed snorkeling, riding bikes, playing cards and just hanging out. There were no surprises as Mickey sent us a letter describing what to expect and what to bring. Being July it was very hot even to us SW Floridians and we did get sunburns. This is definitely a place to get a way from it all. We found the company enjoyable, the food excellent and the prices reasonable. I would suggest that anyone going to visit the Seascape call the owners and ask about the accommodations, activities and the amenities.

• Liked — Joan and Mickey
  • Disliked — No A/C
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank GardnerFlorida
Vancouver
Reviewed 18 July 2007

Like one of the other reviewers, we were very clear to Mickey that we were coming mainly for the diving and snorkeling. Only when we arrived did we find out the dive boat had been out of commission for a long time, and Mickey had no real plans to repair it. You can imagine our feelings! We went diving one morning on a small fishing skiff (very wet ride!). The diving was very disappointing -- there is a major algae problem here, so most of the coral was dead or buried. (To be fair, there's a similiar problem on North Andros). We were told that "If we could get outside the reef it would be much better". But of course the boat was broken.

The snorkeling was actually fun, as there are mangroves and many small to tiny blue holes around. But Mickey (who was always in a bad mood) didn't help us much to find them -- ask the locals, who are great. You can get to snorkle spots by bicycle, but be prepared for the usual tropical rusty chains and flat tires, only even more so.

On the good side, we wanted a simple place away from the crowds - Check, no problems. The Inn is very simple, but we expected that. Another reviewer compared it to camping in the jungle; it's not nearly that bad, but it does have that run-down kid's summer camp feel.

We had fun, but we had to work very hard for it, and we were very disappointed by the Inn itself.

Stayed May 2006
6 Thank DiverSnorkeler
swainsdog, Owner at Seascape Inn, Andros, responded to this review, 25 July 2007
In response to the review of DiverSnorkeler from Vancouver posted in July 2007 let me say there are a few inaccuracies with their version of events. First their stay was in June 2006 not May 2006. Second regarding the boat and diving - I knew at the beginning of 2006 that Mangrove Cays’ airport was scheduled to close for 6 months for repaving. I was also scheduled for and had eye surgery so there was a possibility I would not be cleared to dive. In light of these facts we decided against making repairs to and insuring the boat. Knowing this we advised those interested in diving that we would use local fishermen to get them out. Additionally, DiverSnorkeler was informed they would need to bring cash to pay the boat operators. We also explained there are no ATM’s on Mangrove Cay. They chose to ignore this as well as other information we provide to guests at time of booking. This limited their access to diving as we could not provide them cash advances on their credit card. In regard to snorkeling, they were provided with maps to get to the blue holes. I don’t know what more they would want with the exception of hiring a guide which they never requested.

I must also address the comment that I appeared to be bad mood all the time. We work very hard to please our guests as evidenced by our 35-40% repeat and referral occupancy rate. It can, however, be difficult to keep a smile on your face when your guests tell you they normally take apart the bed, store the headboard and bed frame in the closet and place the mattress directly on the floor. Perhaps they felt I was in a bad mood when I asked them not to take apart or re-arrange the furniture or after noticing that they were taking the bedding from their room into the “jungle” I requested they take the beach towels instead. Perhaps they thought I was in a bad mood when I explained that if they desired a 6 PM checkout with full use of the room, bikes and kayaks for the day there would be a day rate charge.

DiverSnorkeler actually stayed one day longer than their original reservation, however, as they had only pre-paid two nights there were other options available. There are two flights a day into and out of Mangrove Cay and a twice daily free ferry to South Andros. There are other hotels in both Mangrove Cay and South Andros. We would have been more than happy to assist DiverSnorkeler in making other arrangements that would have better suited their needs.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2007

Joan and Mickey made us very welcome on Andros and at the Seascape. After a week in Nassau, with the cruise-ships and tourist traps, we felt like we'd found the real Bahamas.

Getting there from Nassau was easy, Western Air's short flight proved reliable. Booking from home wasn't possible because of their cash-only policy, but they gave us a reference and we paid at the airport.

Our cabana was bright and airy and very clean, plenty big enough for the two of us. Sitting on the deck, watching the local lizards, hummingbirds and other wildlife was very relaxing and made for some great photos.

When all that gets too much, you must get yourself a Mickey Map and explore one of the blue-holes. The free canoes make exploring the quiet sea a doodle. It's very flat and shallow and beautifully clear, which makes for some great snorkeling. Or you can jump on the bikes and head to the inland lake and maybe spot the barracuda. While you're out, don't forget to pop in at Boston's Hot Spot for some local food and a good chat with the locals over a Kalik.

After a hard day relaxing, dinner or some drinks at the bar were always interesting. We loved the hosts stories about island life and the Bahamas.

You'll have to not mind the dogs, they're playful, but kept under control and out of the guests way must of the time. The bikes might be a bit rusty and basic, but Andros is flat and not that big, so they're just the job for getting about. If you want full service or organised trips, it's probably not the place for you, but if you want to change down a few gears, it's spot on.

• Liked — Peace and quiet, Bahamian pace of life
  • Disliked — Watch for the odd dog doing that's been missed
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank jru100
Mechanicsville, Maryland
Reviewed 25 April 2007

My husband and I stayed at the lovely Seascape Inn in early Feb 2007 for just 6 days. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It would have been hard not to do so, since we were the only ones there for most of our stay. Joan and Mickey were always ready to assist us, telling us where to go for some good snorkeling, finding local open restaurants (not always easy; but when you do they are great and the local people are very friendly). Plus Mickey and Joan are just wonderful people, and we had a great time watching the Super Bowl with them, their four dogs and some of their friends from the island. The area is beautiful, and very tranquil.
Mickey and Joan are amazing cooks! You can ask Mickey to cook you steaks, rocklobsters (I had it for my bday, yumm!), and even pizza and home made chocolate ice cream (for my husband's bday, double yumm). Of course, you can't start your day of activities without a good breakfast --home baked muffins and fresh fruits!! Thanks Joan!!
It's hard to believe that they can keep up with such great service and accomodations knowing that they have to wait for the delivery boats to come from the big island (not always reliable from what they told us).
The cabin that we stayed in was lovely, crisp and clean; the breeze always flowing through the room. I think that my husband may complain about only one thing... having to scream being scared by a frog in the toilet bowl lol One of the funniest moment of our stay on Andros!! I did have to check with Mickey to see if it was okay to flush ... it was.
They were not using their diving boat and I think were planning on getting a different one. Not a big deal for us, we just took the kayaks and went snorkeling by the island off-shore, an inland blue hole (and I can confirm that I still have all my toes and fingers after swimming with the barracuda), etc. We brought our own gear, but did not use our lycra dive skins (maybe I should have it can get pretty cold by the blue holes!)
Overall an amazing experience and we got exactly what we were looking for. This is not a place for people who need tons of different organized activities! I definitively hope to go back soon to Andros!

• Liked — Cute cabin, very clean and comfortable. The owners!
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
NY, NY
Reviewed 22 March 2007

Great all the way around. Secluded beachfront location, Mickey & Joan are fantastic (as are their four dogs), free kayaks, bikes & snorkel gear, great price ($140/night and they leave the tips up to you). Especially after meeting several people complaining about their stays at Atlantis, Breezes and our disappointing stay at the British Colonial Hilton, I knew we made the right choice. Easily accessible by 20 minute plane ride from Nassau.

• Liked — Value, price, service, unique experience
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with friends
Idaho
Reviewed 30 October 2006

We were lured to the Seascape by wide open beaches and the promise of diving in beautiful blue waters as shown on their web site. We made it very clear in our emails that we were coming to dive and relax on the beach. We arrived to find out the dive master’s boat had been broken down for months and the dive master had recently had surgery and was not sure if he could even take us out. We did dive one day off of a fishing boat with leaky regulators, BC’s in need of repair, and a grumpy dive master. It’s hard to say what the worst feature of the Seascape is. Is it the noseeums that ravaged us in the dining room/bar the first night of our stay that left welts for the remainder of our trip? Maybe the dirty beach with water that ranges from 2 to 5 feet deep for at least 100 yards off shore? How about the junk bicycles (all in need of repair) supplied as the only form of transportation? We really want to thank Micki and Joan for their lack of interest in us as guests and the minimal amount of time they spent showing us good places to snorkel. The Seascape is the next best thing to camping in the jungle.

• Liked — Fresh baked goods for breakfast
  • Disliked — Facilities upkeep
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring lots of bug repellant and several books to read.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple