“Absolute bliss”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
“Absolute bliss”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

You don't have to fish to enjoy this idyllic setting. Right on the waters edge, powdery sand, palm trees. Good clean spacious accommodation. Fantastic real Bahamian food. Nothing too much trouble for this great hostess.

Definite one on the list of returns.

Room Tip: Pay a bit extra and get one right on the front for fantastic sea views
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eggybreadUk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Grand Cayman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

I am a chronic bone fisherman on the fly. I have fished many locations Honduras, Belize, Cuba and Cayman Islands (where i live). South Andros is hands down the rolls royce destination for bone fishing. My guide Marvin Miller of Big Bite Charters is a Superb guide with high standards so it was not surprising that he recommended SC for my 2nd trip to S Andros this past April. I caught three bones in the 10+ category, one fish 13lbs. From my first interaction with Miss Cheryl (owner) and her staff, they were courteous, friendly and efficient. They will take care of all aspects of your trip. Local transfer flights, ground transfers / taxis and fishing guides. The Lodge itself is located on a beachfront with stunning vistas. I caught a 8 lb bone right in front in the Lodge. So there is definitely a do it yourself option which is nice.
One word of advice. Take the time to hone your casting and fishing skills before you go to S Andros. The guides can put you on fish but they cannot help you if you cannot deliver the fly. Practice your casting in to the wind. Also come with the right gear. For bigger fish you need a dependable reel with smooth drag. This is 15-20 lb leader territory, leave the 10/12 lb leaders at home. I am a Loomis & Hatch guy, and ended fishing my 9 wt mostly simply because of the wind and the size of fish. Enjoy. I will be heading back.

Room Tip: If you want beachfront just ask.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alistair C
Longmont, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

Everytime I come down to Mangrove Cay I always say its a trip of a lifetime and they just get better and better. we came down to Swains Cay for Bone fishing and leisure we used several different guides we were a group of ten and my wife who does not fish at all took a FLY FISHING ROD and kicked butt with the help of our guide Captain Patterson, we were put on fish including Tarpon every day. One of our guests had Captain Randy and he couldn't believe all the bonefish they got into the trip was exceptional. No they don't have a pool but they have one of the nicest flats and beautiful beaches, We have already made our reservations for next year
Than you Cheryl and your staff for a fantastic time

Mike Kruise

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

If you want a GREAT place which is on the most beautiful flat water fishing you can possibly imagine. Swains cay is a quaint and charming place. The Bahaminan hospitality is lovely. The beach is amazing. Rooms, food, staffs are perfect for a real quiet getaway. For the fisherman...everything h can ask for!!
I will be back!

• Stayed May 2012
Croton on Hudson, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

I stayed and fished at Swains in early April,. I had a great time there, the rooms were clean all new bedding and beds, and the food was very good. Hot appetizers were served daily, the Kaliks were ice cold. And most important the fishing and the guides were fantastic. We spent three days fishing the Capt. Randy Thompson. He works hard for us, always had the boat in position to cast, and was a lot of fun to spend the day with.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

We took our family here for a week for my husbands 50th birthday as he has always wanted to bonefish. We had our two teenage daughters and two teenage sons with us and three of them tried bonefishing which they loved. We also went on a day trip deep sea fishing to catch mahi mahi (caught some and fed everyone that evening) and then onto the barrier reef to snorkel - the two guides were lovely and really helpful. We also visited the numerous blue holes around the island, out to sea and inland. Swains Cay has kayaks so we kayaked out to the island and around looking at all the wonderful fish, starfish and baraccudas - the kids loved the sea as it was warm. We cycled up and down Mangrove Cay - not much going on and we were pleased we had booked to have all our meals at Swains Cay as there was nowhere else to go. Food was good and staff lovely and attentive (Pam and Melinda) - Cheryl Bastien the owner was always on hand. My kids could not believe how deserted the place was - definitely a good place to go to unwind if you love the sea and all that goes with it - if you want anything else like restaurants, bars, activities for kids, book elsewhere. We all loved it.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank bobs54
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

My husband and I just returned from an amazing stay at Swain's Cay Lodge, and are already planning how we can go back! We spent 10 nights at this gorgeous resort. My husband was very excited for a first experience bonefishing, where I was excited to relax on the beach. Swain's Cay is a perfect place to unwind. As other guests have mentioned, there are not many scheduled activities other than bonefishing but there are options if you want. We had an amazing time kayaking daily right from the beach, we explored the island by bikes, snorkelled, discovered blue holes, and had amazing conch salad at a local restaurant. We also did 4 days of fly fishing with the guide Randy which were awesome.

Sadly I have read below that another guest had a poor experience with Randy, perhaps due to some miscommunication. We were fortunate to spend 4 days fly fishing with Randy and thought he was great! He was patient with teaching us how to cast in the wind, and helped Craig get very good at 'double hauling'. Best of all, we caught a ton of bonefish with the best day catching 15 in total!

As for the resort, the staff at Swain's Cay are amazing. They readily got to know us by name and made sure we had everything we needed. By the end of the trip they felt like family and we found it hard to say goodbye. With such a small resort, we also had the pleasure of getting to know some of the other guests quite well as everyone meets in the main lodge for meals. We really enjoyed the meals which included plenty of locally caught fish and great Bahemian spices.

Andros Island is a quiet island with very friendly people. If you want to be entertained this is not the place for you, but if you want to relax and create your own adventures outdoors it is perfect. It would have been nice to have a couple other options on site like yoga on the beach or even some Bahemian cooking classes! Owner, Cheryl, seemed very receptive to these ideas when I suggested and is trying to expand to offer other options to guests when not fishing.

TIPS: the sandflies at night can be bad so bring bug spray and long pants! Also there are only a couple corner stores to purchase very marked up snacks, so I would recommend packing a few granola bars in your bag :)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple