“Romantic small boutique resort”
Review of Tiamo Resort

Tiamo Resort
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Tiamo is a very nice little resort. Good idea to book all inclusive here. About 15 small, moderately maintained cottages on the beach.

Service was a little unfriendly, waiters having a slight attitude, with the exception of the bartender, forgot his name, but he really made an effort to make sure you were happy with your orders.

The food was delicious and refined, standard continental breakfast, but preset menus for lunch and dinner. The portions were a bit small, but still delicious.

Did not like that the bathrooms were separate from the bedroom. To get to the bathroom, you have to walk outside the cottage bedroom on the deck, which is visible to the neighbor cottage.

No TVs or internet in the bedrooms, which is nice as it really makes you feel disconnected from the rest of the world.

Was high tide when we went, which was in May, so the beach didn't look like it does in the pictures, low tide, shallow waters. Would be curious when is the low tide during the year.

Nice that you can go kayaking to small neighboring islands, pack some snacks and drinks, lay out and enjoy your own private beach.

Definitely worth it, and will visit again in the future.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Wali S

Reviewed 14 July 2011

My husband and I were looking for a special place to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary...it had to be a small boutique hotel on the beach in a unique location offering fishing and romance (in that order!), privacy, beautiful accommodations, swimming pool, great food, fitness center, no children...

We found all of this at Tiamo! Watermakers Air out of Ft. Lauderdale (fabulous service-check them out) had us at the airport on Andros in just over an hour where a taxi was waiting to take us to the dock to catch a 5 minute boat taxi ride to the resort. We knew we had picked the right place as we pulled up to the dock.

The is a small resort. 10 wonderful cottages line the beach. They are one of the most unique accommodations I have stayed in and can't say enough how much we enjoyed the privacy of the cottage as each one is surrounded by vegetation. The wrap around screened porch is perfect for reading on a rainy afternoon. The bedroom is large with the most comfortable bed and the unique set-up of the bathroom was truly fun. You will just have to see for yourselves...

The staff was very courteous and helpful, and the managers were always there to help with any requests or arrangements that needed to be made. It was also great fun to have the managers join the guests when gathering for drinks in the open air great room bar before dinner. It was a time to hear interesting stories about the island and to get to know other guests. And the food was beyond what we had expected. Each plate was beautifully presented and you just knew it was going to be delicious. This is 5 star restaurant dining. We looked forward to every meal!

Andros is known as the place to go for bonefish. And it was everything we thought it would be. A guide was arranged during our stay and would pick us up in the mornings at the resort's dock. These guys know where to find the fish and are very patient with those of us who are novices at fly fishing!

We chose to fish only half days so we could spend the rest of the day doing other things like snorkeling, reading, lounging by the pool, working out in the small gym (so we could eat more food!), or exploring the beach. The resort is located right on a stretch of beautiful beach that was great for swimming and combing for shells. The resort has its own boats and it would make at least one, maybe two daily snorkeling trips which were great fun. And it was nice to see these areas unspoiled unlike other places in the Bahamas.

I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed this wonderful adventure. We are looking forward to returning to this beautiful piece of paradise!

Room Tip: In summer, get A/C
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank SBinflorida
Reviewed 12 July 2011

My wife and I had the distinct pleasure of having 5 days at Tiamo over the last days of June through July 4th. When we booked the trip we had reservations about traveling to Andros in July. Boy were we wrong. We arrived the first day and were the only guest but were made to feel right at home as Moraq and Matt layed out the red carpet. Over the next 4 night there were two other couple that were both pleasant and entertaining.
Over the 5 nights, I am not sure which meal I enjoyed the most, because the chef made each one a total delight. Meals ranged from, lamb, duck, fresh tuna fresh snapper and his chilled soups were off the charts. All in all I felt like I was in a 5 star dining experience from the beginning.
As far as the activities at Tiamo: I really like to fish and have a hard time siting still. My wife on the other hand is active but doesn't mind sitting on the beach and relaxing. Tiamo was a perfect compliment of both. I spent 3 half days with guides bonefishing and the rest of the time catching fish from the shore. I will report that my wife did catch a bigger fish than I did, I believe it was a 7 pound bonefish.
When they tell you that there are fish right there, believe them as it was a very common event to see tailing fish daily during high tides. We also snorkeled, kayaked and fish for tuna with the owner one day.
The accomodations very delightful, with well decorated rooms and some of the most comfortable beds we have sleeped in.
When we left on the Sea Plane from Safari Sea Planes, my wife tapped me on the shoulder and didn't asked but demanded that we come back. Rest assure we will.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jmcvey13
Reviewed 3 July 2011

If you are looking for a superior 5 star resort without the crowds and noise, this is your spot. We stayed for 3 days, piggybacking this getaway with a business trip in Nassau. Even though the stay was short, it took me no time at all to completely relax and forget about the outside world. The setting is private and everything and more that one could hope to find in the Bahamas. The only way to arrive is by boat and from the time you are met at the dock to when you depart; every detail is looked after by the capable and friendly staff. Matt and Morag, the management team, are professional and friendly. We were lucky enough to be there when the owners were present which was a bonus as well. The food rivals that of fine dining in any city. Hats off to Chef Keith. We had notified the resort that one of us is a strict vegetarian and at every meal there were delicious vegetarian options. Snorkeling in one of the area's blue holes was a highlight. The beach is clean, white sand and the water very calm due to the Bight. Alex, the Nature Concierge, was knowledgable and planned activities based on guest's interests. A big plus is that there is a wonderful spa so if one person wants to be out bonefishing or deep sea fishing for the day, there are always spa treatments, diving, snorkeling, kayaking or nature activities to choose from. Captain DJ took me on a boat tour around one side of the island and pointed out several private beaches that could be visited and noted that the resort would pack a picnic lunch to bring if so desired. I was perfectly happy dividing my time between the infinity pool and the beach with a massage or two thrown in for good measure.

The cottages provide privacy and are beautifully appointed. The top quality mattresses and bedding were much appreciated at the end of the day.

Given the intimacy of the resort, I could envision reserving the entire resort for exclusive use such as a wedding or private group getaway.

We will be back!

Room Tip: A/C "cool" cottages in hot months
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank laxmigoddess12
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We stayed for five nights at Tiamo and had a wonderful time! The place itself is so quiet and beautifully located and exclusive that you relax straight away. The food is amazing, the staff so nice and warm and the owner who was there when we stayed a charismatic and unique guy always ready to help and give advice. We loved the fact that there were only a few cabins and the nature is great. We are both not into bone-fishing, but loved to snorkel and scuba dive.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gretchen75
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Tiamo is a little slice of heaven. From the minute you arrive, you know that you are somewhere special. We stayed in one of the Cool Cottages which have air conditioning. I highly recommend these cottages. If you are a man on your own, staying in the open air cottages will be fine and reminiscent of fishing camp. If you are a lady wanting comfort, I'd stay in one of the air conditioned units. You will not hear the jungle sounds all night and you will sleep much better. The food at Tiamo was really good. I always felt full but never overdone and I actually felt like I was staying healthy on vacation. They don't stuff you day and night, but the staff is always available to fix you anything. My husband actually got sick while there and they brought him food and medicine and really checked in on him. The only service issue I might suggest is sometimes the beach service for drinks etc it a little absent. I didn't mind walking a short distance to the bar to ask for whatever I needed, but a stop by my chair more often would have been a nice and expected touch. However, that is a small critique in the overall picture of things. I was also glad to see that the family style dinners of the past were eliminated and private dining with your individual party down by the beach was the daily ritual. Guests did mingle around the bar area for drinks before dinner which was fun because Tiamo attracts a very interesting and mostly European crowd. It was really a treat meeting some of the other guests. Then there is the fishing. Everything is taken care of for you once you book you excursions. I would not suggest bone fishing if you have never fly fished before. It is very difficult. However, it is an experience like no other. Wow! Another nice aspect of Tiamo is the daily activities. You can partake or not. The snorkeling was great and fun. It's not an all day thing and you get a great experience without using your entire day. They provide everything you need. In fact, I wouldn't bring much on your trip. You won't need it. In March, however, you will need a little jacket. It is cool at night. This was a great time of year to go and I would definitely recommend going back. Ladies, get in on this fishing trip with your guy. You won't want to miss it!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank belletx
Reviewed 18 May 2011

We stayed here for one week and were lucky enough to have the place to ourselves for a few days, which is particularly good here since the "nature concierge" organises trips based on what the majority of guests want to do each day.

Hard to find any fault with this place; we expected big things from the food to the seclusion, and were not disappointed. On top of that the staff were all extremely friendly, most of them local to Andros, and all told great stories, and worked wonders behind the bar.

We stayed in the pool villa (think there's only one of these) which was at the far end of the beach. Had our own terrace, loungers and hammock on the beach, and a small pool. There was a small kitchen with a good selection of teas and soft drinks, plus walk in wardrobe. Bathroom with his and her's sinks, and environmentally-friendly toiletries.

There's activities to suit most people - you can take it easy on the beach, enjoy a massage, or go out on snorkeling, sailing, diving or kayak trips. There's also a very short nature trail which is usually good for spotting the odd iguana around lunch time.

It is in quite a remote spot - when we got off the plane at Congo Town the other passenger asked us why we were getting off in the middle of nowhere - but we never felt our experience suffered for it, in fact it was great to be off the beaten track for once.

Can't wait to return - Tiamo you are sorely missed.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank miken78
Also consider these accommodations in or near Andros
Swain's Cay Lodge
#1 of 9 in Andros
Kamalame Cay
Kamalame Cay
#2 of 9 in Andros

Been to Tiamo Resort? Share your experiences!