“Incredible Honeymoon”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Chicago, Illinois
“Incredible Honeymoon”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I have to admit I'm a year late in finally getting around to this review but I still remember this trip like it was yesterday. My husband and I went here for our honeymoon and it exceeded our expectations. The resort is beautiful. The views are amazing and you find yourself feeling as though you've jumped into a postcard. It is a small resort. There are different levels of cottages you can choose from - some have AC and some do not. We stayed in the Pool Cottage which is the most secluded. The bed was incredibly comfortable and since it had AC it was cool. My one gripe about the cottage was that the whirlpool on the deck wasn't keeping water so we only used it once. This is one of the only things that separates it from the cool cottages. One note of caution: they do have sand flies there so bring pants and long dresses/skirts. I made the mistake of running on the beach and my legs were covered in bites. It took some of the fun out of my time because it was extremely painful but that was my fault for tromping on the beach in the morning. Every member of the staff was so friendly and fun. Because the resort is so small - you get an opportunity to get to know the other guests. We met many great people and even stay in touch with one couple today. They have course lunches and dinners where you pick between a couple options for each course. The food is incredible - the seafood is caught during the day and made to order each night. During the day there are many options of things to do... nature walks, spending time by the pool or on the beach, kayaking, sailing and of course snorkeling. My husband and I went snorkeling every day! It really is an incredible experience - particularly if you are looking to get away somewhere quiet and beautiful. Worth every penny and a great honeymoon for us.

Room Tip: The rooms with AC are worth the extra buck.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank chitwntrvlgal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Wilton, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Perfect, quiet secluded paradise. New owners may have plans to grow/change the resort. If you want a quiet, understated but beautiful place to relax or fish, dive, sail or snorkel this is it. No power boats whizzing by to break the serenity. The food is fantastic! The service and Matt & Morag were welcoming and made us feel at home. We will be back as long as it doesn't change and try to be like resorts on Nassau.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
bethesda, md
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We stayed at the beautiful Tiamo for a long weekend. It was a surprise gift and could not have been a better one. Our hosts met us at the arrival boat and it was the beginning of a truly pampering experience. Every one of the staff were friendly, fun and conscientious. Although many guests enjoy the resort as a base for bone fishing, we thought that their other watersport equipment was top notch and had fun with the paddle boards and clear kayaks in particular. The water is filled with wildlife and the overall feel of the resort is (very) quiet luxury. Between the palm trees, white sand, conch, ray and sea turtle-filled, turquoise waters, this is quite the place. The food offerings are lovely to look at and delicious too. and we are foodies... my only comment would be to change up breakfast a bit.. continental offerings seem slightly out of place in such an environment - it would have been more interesting and delicious to have homemade muffins or similar treats rather than average croissants etc. All in all, it was hardly a reason to complain and leaving Tiamo is very, very difficult to do!

Room Tip: We stayed in the beautiful pool room which includes a small jacuzzi (although it does not get partic...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank apm07
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 12 January 2012

For our wedding anniversary, my husband gave me a nice surprise... He took me to spend a long weekend on the almost deserted island of South Andros, in the Bahamas... Tiamo resort is like a jewel in a natural setting between palms, white sand beach and turquoise sea! It was a wonderful and quiet time, even if we have sometimes been a bit incommoded during the day by the sound of construction work of the new dive center. Nonetheless, it was exactly what I wanted for celebrate this kind of event. The resort also received new transparent canoes, with which you can see some fish and starfish around the location... Awesome! The chef is exceptional; everything was excellent. On the other hand, there are some small details in the service or in the decoration that can be changed for a perfect magical ambiance! But it has been difficult to leave the island!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Caroline S
New Jersey
Reviewed 6 January 2012

My wife and I spent a week at the resort and had a great time. I was at first taken aback that she had booked a place that boasted of bonefishing, but I’m not one to complain when my wife suggests I go fishing.

There was plenty for my wife to do while I was fishing and plenty for me to do when I wasn’t fishing and to say Tiamo is just a fishing resort does Tiamo a terrible injustice. Located on the largest of the Bahamas Islands, yet the least inhabited, the trip to Tiamo is truly an adventure. There are no cars, no bars, no sightseeing, casinos, nor is there golf. That was just fine with us. This is exactly the place we were looking for. My wife did fish with me once, but she spent most of the time relaxing.

I fished mainly in the morning and did very well. I also was able to fish the way I like best; walk on the endless flats that surround the resort. I saw some big bonefish, but I landed mostly smaller ones. Still, they put up a great fight. There were also plenty of barracuda and snapper around and I landed several of each. Next time we go back to Tiamo, I think we’ll go in April. That’s when the fishing is best. I brought my own equipment, but the resort has several top of the line Sage’s that anyone can borrow. Bring some bright orange and yellow flies along with a floating line.

There were snorkeling trips everyday and we went sailing everyday. My wife enjoyed a message or two, and I must admit, I enjoyed mine as well.

The food was fresh and very tasty and the chef has a special talent with both presentation and taste. Fresh fish was always on the menu, along with a meat entrée. Service was impeccable and the accommodations were top notch.

We had a terrific cottage. The bed was perhaps the most comfortable I’ve ever slept in. Our cottage was right at the water’s edge. There was truly no need to worry about anything. Bonefish were tailing right outside of our cottage when the tide was right. It was incredible.

Everything was very casual and low-key. Bill, the owner was very friendly and even took some of the guests out deep sea fishing, gratis.

My wife and I look forward to our next adventure at Tiamo. We’ve been to many islands and many resorts. This happens to be one of our favorites.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ChasNewJersey
London
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We just returned from another excellent stay at Tiamo. The place is under new ownership and management since our last stay and lots of changes and improvements are in progress. There are new boats for watersports and construction is underway on a new PADI dive center. The main look and feel of the resort is still the same, which is what keeps us going back. Tiamo is the place to get away from it all with lots of peace and quiet and the option to do any number of activities, or just do nothing at all. The bonefishing with local guides is excellent, and you can also take a walk/wade and catch bonefish just off the shoreline if that is your thing. The dining is outstanding, some of the best food we have had anywhere. We found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. The rooms are simple but luxurious and well appointed (minus a much needed mirror in the main room rather than just in the bathroom). Well done Tiamo, we look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KKLONDONUK
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Tiamo is a very nice little resort. Good idea to book all inclusive here. About 15 small, moderately maintained cottages on the beach.

Service was a little unfriendly, waiters having a slight attitude, with the exception of the bartender, forgot his name, but he really made an effort to make sure you were happy with your orders.

The food was delicious and refined, standard continental breakfast, but preset menus for lunch and dinner. The portions were a bit small, but still delicious.

Did not like that the bathrooms were separate from the bedroom. To get to the bathroom, you have to walk outside the cottage bedroom on the deck, which is visible to the neighbor cottage.

No TVs or internet in the bedrooms, which is nice as it really makes you feel disconnected from the rest of the world.

Was high tide when we went, which was in May, so the beach didn't look like it does in the pictures, low tide, shallow waters. Would be curious when is the low tide during the year.

Nice that you can go kayaking to small neighboring islands, pack some snacks and drinks, lay out and enjoy your own private beach.

Definitely worth it, and will visit again in the future.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Wali S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Andros
Swain's Cay Lodge
#1 of 23 in Andros
The Pointe Resort
The Pointe Resort
#2 of 5 in Andros

Been to Tiamo Resort? Share your experiences!