“Very nice, but....”
Review of Tiamo Resort

Tiamo Resort
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Tiamo is a very nice vacation spot and I see why so many people really love it. But: I relied heavily on the reviews here in deciding to stay there for my honeymoon, and I feel like there are some distinctly weird/rough edges that are not represented here that I wish I had known about in advance. So consider this a public service announcement, not a massive gripe. The main issues we had:

-Privacy. While the island itself is very remote, the cabins are only about 10 yards apart. Some have foliage in between but others (mine!) have nothing but scrub. This leaves you exposed as the walls of your room are all glass doors (that don't lock!) AND the showers/toilets are outdoors and have NO shutters, drapes etc. This is a bizarre and obvious issue as, at least in our room, the walls weren't so high that people can't see your bits if they pass at an inopportune moment. (My bits, for instance, were surprised by the groundsmen fumigating behind the cabin and the French dad showering next door until I finally persuaded the hotel manager to cover up the windows with boards, which took a lot of insisting, as though I was crazy for not wanting French Dad witnessing my ablutions for the next six days.)
-Bugs. That leave insane, painful welts all over your body and are impervious to consumer-strength bug spray, despite the hotel's best efforts to protect you. Like, one lady had to go to a clinic to get cortisone shots. If I were to go back it would be with DEET-caliber insect repellent.
-Expensive, sometimes tricky, markups on drinks at the restaurant. Bringing duty free provisions recommended.
-Spa. Is a joke, and is rarely open anyway. Avoid.
-Unresponsive staff (mainly management/reception -- the guides/waiters are great).It was difficult to get follow-through with easy questions/requests (like: we want to know when the scuba trip leaves, where can we get some first aid supplies...nothing taxing) and overall reluctance to fix more serious problems (like the aforementioned "people can see my boobs when I shower" situation). There is an occasional tinge of combativeness and inflexibility with some of the staff that I found very, very off-putting -- at the very least it is not the easy, uber-professional graciousness you expect from an actual luxury hotel, even boutique.

That said: all of the good things about the reported elsewhere are true. It's nice - just not as "perfect" as I was anticipating based on reviews.

Room Tip: Avoid the cabin closest to the pool. You might want to ask "can people walking by see into my b...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Katie D

Reviewed 1 April 2013

I believe this tiny resort is the best place on earth I have ever seen. The location is outstanding for those who are looking for a wild carribean spot with preserved nature, water and sealife. It was by chance, attending a scuba diving fair in Paris, that I signed up to Tiamo for three nights and while having already discovered among the most beautifull places on earth I was truly impressed. those moments where you tell yourself "I cannot believe it !". Besides that, the staff was also a big part of that pleasure. David was the best scuba diving teacher ever met, Julien a very warmfull and helpfull manager as well as all the rest of the staff. But please keep this place secret, just go, but do not tell anyone alse in order to preserve it !

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank christophe f
Reviewed 4 March 2013

My wife and I just spent 4 nights. For us, the combination of serious bone-fishing plus luxury accommodations is the best we've experienced. The service is outstanding as is the food, the decor, the privacy, and the location. Everything is done right. We particularly liked the availability of first rate water sports equipment right on the dock as well as in the dive shop, all freely available with no hassle and with someone nearby to help you launch and learn. We used one short downtime from fishing to sail a Hobie Cat for the first time and had a blast. In regards to the fishing, Capn Marvin was amazing, we saw many beautiful places and tons of fish. And the hotel stocked our boat every morning with delicious lunch sandwiches and snacks. Every evening there is a beautiful bar, amazing appetizers and a gourmet meal overlooking the Bight to look forward to. Minor suggestions would be hooks at the cabins to dry gear, and a closed boat for the short ferry ride from the hotel to the town in the case of inclement weather which we experienced on our last day. Also the hotel could use a hot tub/jacuzzi. But we are going back and probably soon.

Room Tip: Stayed in the pool room and used the pool almost every day.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2013

My wife and I spent three nights at the Tiamo Resort leaving a little less than a week ago. It was absolutely amazing. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The food was excellent. The rooms quiet and comfortable. The grounds were kept very clean. I will definitely return to Tiamo. The level of service and the seclusion from the rest of the world make it well worth their price point.

Room Tip: We chose a room with AC. Although it was a little cool the first two days we were there, I can see...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Paul F
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Just spent two nights here with my wife. If you want an island paradise, it is hard to imagine a better place. Very intimate with only a dozen or so rooms. Accessible only by water means quiet and privacy. We happened to be there at the same time as a world famous celebrity couple who clearly valued the privacy and luxury. It was FAR superior in every way to Compass Point on Nassau which somehow was rate #1 in the Bahamas.
Food was terrific and place was well maintained. Our room was not air conditioned (some are), but it was February and we did not even need the ceiling fans. The attention to detail was fantastic. Every villa is just a few feet from the waters edge. My only "complaint" is that there was nowhere to dry our wet suits and other snorkeling gear. (The hooks on the porch are not really adequate for this). I can recommend Tiamo without reservation for a "get away from it all" vacation.

Room Tip: Some have AC some do not. I personally don't like AC. Our room #105 was beautiful. It did not ha...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bensage
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I was referred to Tiamo by my fly fishing outfitter. Because of its unique location in S. Andros Tiamo has pole position access to some of the most iconic bonefish flats in the world. Tiamo set me up with phenomenal guide Cpn Marvin Miller. The bone fishing did not disappoint, even tho I was fishing in the Aug low season at times the flat was a traffic jam of bones. On one day I had caught 10+ bones and then stopped counting. Also these are Androvian bones and on average the biggest bones in all the destinations I have fished.
My GF accompanied me on the trip and she is an underwater photographer. There are a myriad of blue holes to dive, and Tiamo have a great boat and dive staff. She was the only diver that week so she was treated like a princess.
Now for the resort. The pricing may seem on the high side but this is easily a 5 star resort with a European dynamic. Makia took care of all bookings and transfers with efficiency and seamless service. The accommodations are impeccable. But the hi light folks is the FOOD. Chef Keith's food was exemplary, every meal was simply superb. So much so my GF took a cooking lesson with Keith..he is a master Chef. Wilfried the GM brings a Paris flair to the property which is uniquely refreshing. We shall return.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alistair C
Reviewed 17 June 2012

My wife and I took our honeymoon here last year and loved Tiamo. For us on our honeymoon it was the perfect place to stay; that said I wouldn't recommend the hotel for a family getaway with children (not much to keep them entertained) or to people looking for an active nightlife scene.

The magic of Tiamo begins almost immediately as your taxi from the airport takes you to a private boat for a ride across a turquise bay to Tiamo. As you speed across the water you'll probably pass over coral, schools of fish, blue holes, star fish and, maybe even a shark (we saw several!). We were met at the dock by the hotel manager, who asked if we'd like to go deep sea fishing to catch dinner! I admit we were a little taken aback, but how could we refuse? This is the nature of the resort, it's super friendly, laid back and ready to cater to your whims. Throughout the week whenever we wanted to go sailing, kayaking, or snorkeling we just asked one of the staff members and they made it happen immediately.

I think the food must be mentioned because it is delicious. Everyday you have breakfast, lunch and dinner on a beautiful deck overlooking the "bight" (a narrow channel of water seperating the islands of Andros and South Andros). The menu is limited to several options, but each meal is always new (nothing was ever repeated) and the food was extremely fresh. My favorite? Curried snapper.

All in all it was a dream vacation made possible by a beautiful location and an extremely welcoming staff!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple