“Small Luxury Hotel at its Best”
Review of Tiamo Resort

Tiamo Resort
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Just returned from 5 nights at Tiamo. The beach, rooms, food, and service are incredible at this hotel. There are 10 cottages and a 3 bedroom Villa. The property is accessible only by boat and we were wonderfully greeted by the staff upon arrival. The beach is picture perfect with white sand and clear blue calm water.

This is an all inclusive property and the food is AMAZING! Keith, the chef, is truly an artist and we looked forward to what he would create each day. Breakfast is the same each day with pretty much anything you would like (eggs, pancakes, coconut French toast- our fav, ect.) but for lunch and dinner the menu changes daily. There were usually 2 choices for a soup/salad, main course, and dessert. Every meal was outstanding! We live in Los Angeles near some great restaurants and the meals at Tiamo rival some of the best.

We had a pool cottage and it was great. There is a deck with the pool and 2 chairs as well as a screened in porch that wraps around. The bathroom is outside (accessible by the screened in area). I saw a review where someone said it wasn't private. There is a door and it is extremely private so I am not sure what that reviewer meant. It was also air conditioned and we kept it at a very cool, comfortable temperature during our stay.

Perhaps the best part of this hotel is the service. It is run more like an upscale B&B where they know you by name and anticipate your needs. The owner Wilfred also lives on property and you will see him throughout your stay (he is very kind and obviously takes great pride in his resort). Honestly, I cannot say enough nice things about the people who work here (Lydia, Julian, DJ, Audrey, Pinky, Brenda, Carolanne to name a few). They treat you like family and this is Bahamian hospitality at its best.

We had fun snorkeling and took out the paddleboards while we were there. We saw other guests go bonefishing and they seemed to enjoy that as well. DJ is the captain and he made sure we had a great time with all the activities. I also had a massage and it was very nice.

The only negative thing I can say about Tiamo is the bugs. Make sure you bring the highest concentration of Deet and plan for allergic reactions. This resort is carved out of the Mangroves and we went in the summer (the worst season for the bugs). There are some mosquitoes but I really got bitten pretty bad by the sand flies. Upon recommendation they took me to the clinic in the nearby village. I had a shot of antihistamine and also got some pills to help with the reaction. I suspect this would not be as bad in the winter and they do "fog" the resort every few days to try and keep the insects down. It is just the price of being so close to the natural beauties of the island. I don't think this should prevent you from going to Tiamo but I think everyone who goes there should be prepared.

Overall this was a great vacation and I would recommend this resort to couples who want a romantic, relaxing vacation.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lenals
Vincent W, General Manager at Tiamo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2013

Dear lenals,
Wow thank you! We are so happy to hear that you felt at home here with us. We're very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and in particular your villa, the food, the location and the snorkeling trip. We’re equally delighted to hear your great comments on our service and staff it will be my pleasure to share this with them. On behalf of us all at the Tiamo Resort thank you and we hope to welcome you back !

Reviewed 30 June 2013

This is one of our favorite places in the world. The bone fishing is outstanding, the food is great, and the staff is awesome. If fishing I recommend Alvin be your guide, he is excellent. One word of caution is the nats, no-see-ums, whatever you call them. Simply liberally apply bug spray especially to your legs and feet from the 1st second you arrive in Andros. You will be fine and have a great trip. If you do not use bug spray, and I stress from the 1st moment you arrive - the end of your trip, you will be covered in very itchy bites.

We have been here twice and will be going back again.

Room Tip: all rooms are great I have not tried one without AC however
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank steve t

Dear steve t,
We would like to thank you for your amazing comment regarding your stay at Tiamo Resort.
We constantly strive to achieve only the highest levels of quality, service and hospitality and it is a great reward to read that for you «one of our favorite place of the world ".
Furthermore, we are glad to read that you enjoyed our service, the food and Alvin the fishing guide. We will make sure to share your kind comment to the team.
We hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again soon at Tiamo Resort..

Reviewed 29 May 2013

The two of us spent a couple of winters cruising The Bahamas on our sailboat. When the years made that too difficult, but we wanted to return we spent five days at Tiamo. In every regard it exceeded our already high expectations. The pampering spoiled us, the food was outstanding, and the facilities gave the feeling of being in the islands, yet exceeded the comfort of a mainland facility. White sand groomed every day, water toys that worked and an Activities Director (YoYo) who has amazing energy, concern for guest enjoyment and safety made for an ideal resort environment. We have perhaps never enjoyed any place as much as Tiamo. I think it very likely that we shall return.

Room Tip: We chose the eco cabin (#4) that has no doors or windows. It was fine for us, but later in the seas...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Vincent W, Directeur général at Tiamo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Dear Donald L,
Thanks so much for the lovely review! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience here! We're so happy to hear that you loved your stay and particularly the food, Tiamo service and the villas. Thank you for sharing and we hope you come back to see the crystal clear water again.

Reviewed 25 May 2013

We have stayed at Tiamo 4 times, most recently in April 2013. We keep coming back because of the world class bone fishing but we also love Tiamo. The resort is small but beautiful and the food is excellent (not the usual resort food but the kind of food you find in 4 or 5 star restaurants). We really love this place. If you are interested in fishing I highly recommend Capt Shine Green. We have fished with Capt Green on all of our trips and he has always puts us on fish. This trip we hooked into 3 bones that were bigger than 10 lbs and many smaller fish. If you want to go in April take bug spray (like OFF deep woods) and avoid all dark clothes. During the warmer months they have some biting flies that are drawn to dark colors.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank niagarariverfatman

Dear niagarariverfatman,
Thank you for the amazing compliment and for sharing your review! We love to hear when guest have such an amazing holiday! We’re delighted to hear that you enjoyed the beauty of the island, Tiamo service, food, and your fishing guide. Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back for your fifth visit.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

Me and my husband spent here 4 nights. The people here are wonderful, kind and helpfull. The food is pretty good, especially the fish has been amazing. The fishing guides are helpfull too and they have been very patient expecially with me, a real flyfishing beginner. The villas need some work on the details but they are quite comfortable. The only strange thing is that the bathroom is outside the villa, with access through the deck. Anyway, we will be back , hopefully soon!

Room Tip: Ask for villa with air conditioning , not all the villas have it!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 27 April 2013

My husband and I spent a fabulous and relaxing week at Tiamo for our babymoon in early March. We are used to traveling all day with several layovers and arriving exhausted when we take a Caribbean vacation, so the first thing we loved about Tiamo was how easy it is to get there, especially for being SO secluded! We hopped an easy flight from DC to Ft Lauderdale and took a short charter flight with Watermaker Air. We arrived, refreshed after a short boat ride, and were blown away by how beautiful and remote Tiamo's location is. We LOVE tiny resorts, so seeing the small speckling of villas and gorgeous clubhouse/infinity pool right on the beach was heaven for us.

We stayed in the Exclusive Pool Villa, on the outer end of the resort, which I highly recommend. We had none of the privacy issues that others have experienced, and spent lots of time out on our huge deck and lolling by the pool. The villa was cozy but well-appointed. We did not mind walking out on the porch to get to the bathroom. We had AC but only used it intermittently.

Because I'm pregnant, we were not looking for a high-activity vacation. We wanted to be left to our own devices, and that we were! We did not arrange for any activities ahead of time, but had no problem signing on for a same-day snorkeling trip, where we and another guest were taken about 15 minutes away from the resort for a leisurely hour of snorkeling amongst healthy, live coral and HUGE schools of fish. Most days, we simply walked to the dock and picked up one of Tiamo's pristine kayaks, some paddle boards, or other equipment and explored the deserted shores of the island. It was blissful. The staff were friendly but not intrusive. For those looking for more adventure, the options are plentiful. Our fellow guests had private bone fishing lessons, went on wildly successful deep sea fishing ventures (and we got to eat the catch!), took wilderness trail walks, and spoke highly of trips with the scuba instructor.

Almost better than the scenery and relaxation was the food! In seven days, we never ate the same thing twice and were NEVER disappointed. The variety, presentation and quality of the food was entirely five-star. Drinks were tasty but expensive (they did not offer me a discount for making mine alcohol-free, either) so next time we will definitely stop at the duty-free shop. The villa fridge is stocked with tons of sodas and mixers, which are refreshed daily free of charge.

Overall we decided that this was the perfect, romantic babymooning location, and we will most definitely be back for a parents' getaway!

A few notes on traveling in March: Because it was still low season, the resort was almost empty. We loved this. Evenings were cool, sometimes requiring a sweater. The ocean and pool water was not "bathtub warm" by any means, but was certainly swimmable. And we encountered almost no bugs, though the few bites I did get were indeed painful. Overall, I would highly recommend traveling to Tiamo in early spring like we did.

Room Tip: The Exclusive Pool Villa was the most secluded and had the largest deck and pool area. Highly recomm...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Julia R
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Tiamo is a very nice vacation spot and I see why so many people really love it. But: I relied heavily on the reviews here in deciding to stay there for my honeymoon, and I feel like there are some distinctly weird/rough edges that are not represented here that I wish I had known about in advance. So consider this a public service announcement, not a massive gripe. The main issues we had:

-Privacy. While the island itself is very remote, the cabins are only about 10 yards apart. Some have foliage in between but others (mine!) have nothing but scrub. This leaves you exposed as the walls of your room are all glass doors (that don't lock!) AND the showers/toilets are outdoors and have NO shutters, drapes etc. This is a bizarre and obvious issue as, at least in our room, the walls weren't so high that people can't see your bits if they pass at an inopportune moment. (My bits, for instance, were surprised by the groundsmen fumigating behind the cabin and the French dad showering next door until I finally persuaded the hotel manager to cover up the windows with boards, which took a lot of insisting, as though I was crazy for not wanting French Dad witnessing my ablutions for the next six days.)
-Bugs. That leave insane, painful welts all over your body and are impervious to consumer-strength bug spray, despite the hotel's best efforts to protect you. Like, one lady had to go to a clinic to get cortisone shots. If I were to go back it would be with DEET-caliber insect repellent.
-Expensive, sometimes tricky, markups on drinks at the restaurant. Bringing duty free provisions recommended.
-Spa. Is a joke, and is rarely open anyway. Avoid.
-Unresponsive staff (mainly management/reception -- the guides/waiters are great).It was difficult to get follow-through with easy questions/requests (like: we want to know when the scuba trip leaves, where can we get some first aid supplies...nothing taxing) and overall reluctance to fix more serious problems (like the aforementioned "people can see my boobs when I shower" situation). There is an occasional tinge of combativeness and inflexibility with some of the staff that I found very, very off-putting -- at the very least it is not the easy, uber-professional graciousness you expect from an actual luxury hotel, even boutique.

That said: all of the good things about the reported elsewhere are true. It's nice - just not as "perfect" as I was anticipating based on reviews.

Room Tip: Avoid the cabin closest to the pool. You might want to ask "can people walking by see into my b...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple