“wonderful visit 08/12/13” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Chilbolton, United Kingdom
“wonderful visit 08/12/13”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

my wife and I had our first visit to Tiamo and found it charming. The "rooms" are individual cabins and while we had a pool cabin with A/C we seldom used the pool or the A/C but I would still recommend both as the pool lit at night is very nice and the A/C is useful for drying both the room and clothes.ful for drying clothes and cooling on hot days.
Not enough can be said about the staff. Nothing is too much for them....Audry, Carolyn, Pinkie, and the other ladies will serve your every need with a smile......add to that Lee on the "big" boat and BJ for the "Bone" boat, Allen and his mates for water activities and maintenence, Makia for booking assistance, Keith in the kitchen followed by the ladies ( we ended our stay with TuTu)....all are terrific at their tasks and attentive to every need. Julien oversaw our stay and was also always on hand for a chat or advice. In short, we have visited over the years the Bahamas from Columbus Island to Nassau to Long Is and the Iguanas and Tiamo is best of all in every respect.
I enjoy bone fishing and have done so from Christmas Island to Alphonse island and found the bones in the Bight near Tiamo (and indeed on the eastern end of the Tiamo beach walking) to be in the best condition I have ever seen. The ecology of the Bight provides abudant food and a bone the same size as a 3lb bone anywhere else weighs 4lbs at Tiamo or more! They are incredibly strong as a result and don't tire easily. And BJ knows where they are.......
One word describes the food: superb!....but you could add imaginitive, varied, perfect proportions, and beautifully presented......
Visitors should realize that you are visiting a tropical enviornment and be prepared for the beasties that will welcome your visit (and your warm blood!).....take some precautionary defensive sprays and something to relieve the effects. A small price to pay for the experience....such as going into the "bush" and visitng with the giant iguanas who share your space!!
Tiamo has many repeat visitors and they just got two more!!
e. stebbins

Room Tip: we stayed in #7 which is removed from the main pool, restaurant and if crowded that might be a good...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Vincent W, General Manager at Tiamo Resort, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear James s
Thank you for the glowing review- we’re thrilled beyond words to read that your time with us “exceeded your expectations”. Our staff prides themselves on being personable and helpful in every way possible, so we’re also very delighted to hear they took good care of you and I look forward to sharing your compliments with them.– thanks and see you soon.....

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Small, quiet, luxurious resort with everything you need and nothing you don't. The staff is absolutely amazing; friendliest staff I have ever experienced at a hotel/resort. We were greeted by the manager (Julien) and guest services rep (Makia), out on the dock as we got off the boat - drinks in hand! More importantly, the wait staff (Pinkie, Audrey, Brenda, etc), snorkel guide (Allan), and boat captain (Lee) were so very hospital. If you want to do something, they will make it happen. But more than likely, before you even need to ask, they've already suggested it.

The food is delicious. Absolutely delicious. We watched them gather the conch shells right off the shoreline that were used in the conch salad served later that night. The chef, Keith, really knows how to cook.

Days can be spent lounging by the water with a book, or out snorkeling, kayaking, paddle boarding and fishing. Whatever you want.

Things to know:

- The bugs are annoying, as they are anywhere in the tropics, so it is to be expected. You will get your fair share of bites from mosquitoes and sand flies. They have sunscreen with bug spray in it. They also tell you to use oil for the sand flies. They are by the bar for anyone to use, so do it! They also spray the grounds every evening which helps, and they can give you a coil to burn near your bungalow that also helps. Not a bad idea to bring some anti-itch cream and some benedryl.

- If you are coming from the US, I recommend flying into Ft Lauderdale, then connecting straight to Congo Town airport (this way you avoid the big Customs line in Nassau). From Congo Town, Tiamo will have already arranged your 5 minute cab to the dock, and pick you up in their boat for the 5 minute ride to the resort. There are so few guests at the resort that Julien and Makia can pay close attention to everyone's travel itinerary and make sure the trek goes smoothly. I thought the logistics would be a burden, but they weren't.

Room Tip: Not all bungalows have pools and AC. You don't need the pool since the big one by the bar is us...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Vincent W, General Manager at Tiamo Resort, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear mk82085, Thank you for the great review - we really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience here. We're thrilled you had such a great visit, We're particularly happy to hear how much you enjoyed Tiamo service and his team, your villa, the water activities and our restaurant with our chef Keith's food. We certainly hope to welcome you back for another special occasion one day - Happy Thanksgiving
Wilmore, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

My husband and I just returned from Tiamo after our second visit in 5 years. Much has changed since the first time we visited but the local people are still as warm, friendly, and welcoming as ever. Within a week you will feel like you are a part of their family. A special thanks goes out to Brenda, Audrey, Kay, Pinky, and Carolynn for the exceptional frontline service you provided. To the behind the scenes folks such as the cooks and cleaners thank you for your impeccable work. The food is the best we have ever had and that says a lot since we are very picky foodies! Our room was always immaculate as were the grounds. Allen, the new dive and snorkel guide is eager to please and willing to learn. The captains, Lee and DJ, are extremely knowledgeable and are happy to share their backyard, the turquoise waters, and all that exists within. We appreciated that since we love to see the fish and coral before we lose it to pollution and global warming. Julian, the manager is professional but a bit cold. We would have liked to see him and Allen join the guests at dinner for a few minutes each night. May be a cultural difference since we are southern and they are French. Julian did turn us on to some awesome Cognac the first couple of nights and he did give us an upgrade to an a/c room with a private pool which we appreciated. The mattress, which is important to us, was extremely comfortable and the towels and bedding were of the highest quality. We love luxurious simplicity but if you enjoy all the resort amenities you will not be disappointed at Tiamo. They have it all in a small intimate setting. A few things to note though....bring bug spray with a high deet count as you will be in the jungle where the bugs love to feast on new arrivals. The music is the same every single day and is somewhat depressing. Would have liked to hear more variety and a Caribbean flavor. There is really no place to hang wet clothes and since we are constantly in the water and changing clothes it would have been nice to have a place for that. With all of our pickiness this is all we have to possibly complain about. Tiamo is worth the money and be prepared to fall in love with the local folks. They will make you never ever want to leave their paradise!

Room Tip: An a/c room is advised unless you don't mind the heat and humidity.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sherry M
Grand Rapids
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

We visited Tiamo as a brief get away in August for 6 nights after purchasing on Luxury Link at a discount. The staff at Tiamo are beyond compare, Brenda, Carolann, Kay and all of the behind the scenes people are so friendly and willing to do anything to make your stay more comfortable.

The villa was lovely and extremely clean but be prepared that the bathroom/shower area is outside of the bedroom with the airconditioning. It was a horrible experience in August with the heat and humidity. May not be such a bad problem in the cooler months but the humidity was so bad that several mornings, the mirror was so clouded with condensation you couldn't see into it.

We LOVED having the private pool but as we were the only ones on the beach, we didn't have neighbors. I am sure when the resort is full, I wouldn't have enjoyed the proximity of the neighbors with either the bathroom situation, or the pool.

Dining was wonderful and every meal was a treat! Drinks, however, are not included in the room rate and in my opinion were very overpriced. $17 for a cocktail, $7 for a beer. I realize costs are high in the outer islands but this seemed a little much.

Activities were also very expensive. The beach is not perfect and to go to another area on the West side of the island was $650 minimum, again, I realize how costly gas is but seems very pricey and wish I would have known these prices before booking. There were no daily "activities" as is advertised on the Tiamo Website. I don't know if this was because of the low season, low # of guests or just because we didn't really inquire. The french family that were at the resort at the same time seemed a bit dismayed at the lack of offered, included activities.

It is a lovely resort but you definitely need to have an idea of the actual costs of the things not included. For us, a bit expensive for what we experienced. And definitely keep in mind, the open air bathroom situation, it was a bit too open for a conservative, mid-western lady.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank sunshinegirl1964
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

not to be missed! the most beautiful paradise of the Caribbean. a remarkable balance between the quality of the place (a dream island), the luxury of the hotel, the size of the resort (11 stunning villas), a refined and creative cuisine, all water activities and especially a memorable staff. thank you for these 10 unforgettable days. very soon.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Stefnow
Vincent W, General Manager at Tiamo Resort, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Dear Stefnow,

Hello and thank you for the awesome review, even more important thank you for choosing to stay for your holidays with us! We’re happy you were delighted with your villa, the food, and also our Tiamo Team. Welcome to the Tiamo family, and thank you so much again- we hope to welcome you back one day soon!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

I have never written a review for anything on trip advisor or yelp, but this time I just couldn't help it.

When we decided to book a trip for July we stumbled upon Tiamo Resort and the reviews were incredible. It seemed too good to be true but we went for it! We booked our trip for 7 days. I am not going to lie, I was concerned. I am not great on islands and prefer a more active vacation like skiing or visiting new cities. I went hoping for the best and to say it was the best vacation I have ever had is an understatement. So much so, we actually EXTENDED our trip and ended up staying for 10 days. I even cried when I left! This is coming from someone who has sat standby in tiny airports all through the caribbean looking to escape boring island vacations.

The villas were clean, the beds were insanely comfortable, and the view from your bed if of the most beautiful Caribbean beach and water I have ever seen. The staff is beyond amazing. We became very friendly with everyone from the water sport staff to the bartenders to our waitresses. The people of congo town and Mangrove Kay who work there are some of the nicest I have met. And fun!

We were not into fishing, which is one of the draws of this resort, but we weren't bored for a second. We would spend the mornings being lazy and being spoiled by the greatest breakfast, hang out a little and then have an even better lunch, and then we took advantage of some of the other activities the hotel had to offer. We water skied, wake boarded and every day we'd take a sail boat out, just the two of us, and we'd explore the waters and some of the nearby remote beaches that seemed like no one had ever stepped foot on before. We even tried scuba diving, and our teacher was kind and patient.

While there were only two other couples staying on the island with us at the time, we had the BEST time with them. I have to say this made the trip that much better. While there, two of us celebrated our birthdays and one couple their anniversary. We were from New York, London and Texas but we bonded immediately. We are still in touch after our trip!

I can't say enough about this place. One review I had read said every picture they took looked like a screensaver, and I have to agree. The stars at night look like you are sitting in a planetarium. We kept pinching ourselves to make sure we were alive because the island and resort are so perfect we thought we had actually died and gone to heaven. The food was incredible and they paid special attention to your likes and dislikes. When everyone would go to sleep, we would put on music and dance together to till the wee hours of the morning and swim in the ocean under the stars. And no one could even hear us. It felt like we were the only two people on the planet. I know this sounds campy and contrived, but it actually is not. That is the craziest part. It was just THAT good.

I literally cannot WAIT to return and I have never said that about any single island vacation before. I already miss the Tiamo and the people I met there. It was one of the single best experiences of my life.

If you are looking for a fishing trip, sure, I am sure this is your place as the other two couples were there for fishing. But if you are looking to turn off the world and get away from all and decompress, this is DEFINITELY where you need to be!

Thanks for a wonderful trip TIamo. See you soon!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank J K
Vincent W, General Manager at Tiamo Resort, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Dear J K,
Hello and thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely and awesome review of your stay with us! We're thrilled to know you enjoyed your time here so much that we are now your new #1 destination. We're very happy to hear you particularly enjoyed your villa, Tiamo services, and of course the natural beauty of the island! We also appreciate the rest of your feedback which we will certainly use as we continue to better the experience here. Thank you again and we truly hope to welcome you back to paradise one day- soon!
Denison, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

My hubby and I like to fish the flats. And eat like royalty. And dive/snorkel. We appreciate attentive service, especially when it's warm and genuine. If lots of people go there, then we don't. So I told him staying married 20 years was worth a special trip that included all these things, and apparently when you google luxury and flats fishing, you get Tiamo!

Everything that we look for in a vacation is here. Even better, the kind of travelers that like to get off the beaten path were here. Liberal, conservative, city, country, sailor, fisher, didn't matter. It was a blast to hang out with some of the most interesting and entertaining folks a person could ever want to know.

Staff is gracious, anticipating every need or want. Food is off the charts good. Beautifully presented, fresh ingredients, fantastic sauces. Far exceeded my expectations.
Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank beachbum555
Vincent W, General Manager at Tiamo Resort, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Dear Beachbum555,
Thank you for sharing your experience and specially to share this special celebration with us!
We're very happy to hear you had such a great stay, and that you particularly enjoyed the beautiful Tiamo service, our restaurant and activities.

We're so excited that you found a piece of paradise with us and we hope to welcome you back! Thank you again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Andros
Love At First Sight Hotel
#2 of 23 in Andros
The Pointe Resort
The Pointe Resort
#2 of 5 in Andros

Been to Tiamo Resort? Share your experiences!