“Disappointing, Over Priced”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Tennessee
“Disappointing, Over Priced”
Reviewed 19 June 2006

So, I was really excited about going up until we started experiencing issues with the resort's staff and our reservations. Turns out we weren't the only ones. I'm glad we had the experience, but the overall trip was pretty disappointing and the cost is WAY too overpriced for what you get. The local staff was very pleasant but the others really do not 'get it'. After reading the reviews I thought I was going to paradise. This place is NOT on an ocean, more like a lake, not exactly swimmable. The bugs were AWFUL (especially the large black flies). The accomodations were interesting but VERY unpleasantly hot (no a/c and not really a good ventilation system). I guess I would have had a better experience if I thought that the (non)local staff cared about making the experience a good one, but maybe we caught these guys on an off week!

• Stayed May 2006
21 Thank KEWLBEANS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
China
Reviewed 22 May 2006

Everyone seems to love this place, and I can see that it would be appealing since it seems like you're doing something different than just the normal Caribbean thing, or that you've found something sort of obscure, your own little gem, that sort of thing. But because of that, I think the guests give it more credit than it deserves, and the whole place seems to rest on its reputation, except we didn't really ever manage to figure out why it was great. It's not bad by any means, but nothing about it is amazing. The snorkelling trips were interesting, but not spectacular. the interns there seemed more in awe about the fact that they were working there than really sharing anything of interest to us. We weren't interested in bone fishing, so maybe that was a major setback because a lot of people were there specifically for that. The beach was disappointing--not good for swimming and rocky. Is it eco-unfriendly to step on that rock/coral? We kayaked out and found a better one, but it was very mangrove-y all around. The food was good. Dinner with everyone was not our cup of tea--the friendliness seemed a bit forced somehow. I think largely the problem was that everyone was really staunch about how much they loved the place, and we just thought it wasn't as great as we had thought it would be. Eco-friendliness shouldn't mean sacrificing luxury and rustic shouldn't mean sacrificing service.

• Stayed March 2005
27 Thank HMS-APM
Reviewed 5 May 2006

My husband and I stayed at Tiamo January 7-12th 2006. We even got married there!! Sometimes the thought of a Destination Wedding is more like a nightmare...but not at Tiamo. Tiamo exceeded our expectations and made us the happiest newlyweds in the world. I could not have wished for anything more, they made a little girl's life long dream come true. Everything was taken care of ahead of time and everything from arrival, to the ceremony and honeymoon, to departure was a breeze!! The food was excellent, service was great and the atmosphere.....Well.... you have to be there to understand how truly unique, relaxing, and beautiful it is. The only, and I do mean only, negative thing I could possibly say is...sand fleas. They bite, and if you forgot your Deep Woods Deet (only brand that works) you'll be itching. BUT, I think those kinds of things come with the territory. I also think the efforts and values that Tiamo stands for are great. Their eco-friendly style was something I have never experienced and it was wonderful. We are planning to return in a few years for a wedding anniversay. See you all soon.

• Stayed January 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 May 2006

My girlfriend and I stayed at Tiamo in April 2006 and the only bad thing was that it was only for 4 days!
Wow, what a place - what an experience!
The service was amazing and the entire staff was friendly and willing to meet our every need. The food and the "eco" way that the resort is run made for a totally awesome vacation.
The bungalows are well appointed, luxurious and nicely arranged.
The manner in which the resort conducts itself was a good fit for what we were seeking. Their rates inlcude all meals and all activities but not alcohol, which was known upfront and which is why my girlfirend brought a couple of bottles - although the selection at Tiamo is excellent and reasonably priced keeping in mind that this is such an out of the way place to schlep everything into.
The "family style" dinner is a highlight at Tiamo and the hosts and servers welcome all guest very warmly. Each night a different delicious meal is served with the accent on fish while we were there - but the chef will honor all dietary and food requests. But don't worry you'll love it! The atmosphere at dinner is very friendly and even if the resort is fully booked (22 guests) you will find the experience fun and intimate.
Go, splurge and cherish the memories of a great and relaxing trip for the rest of your life!

• Stayed April 2006
34 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 March 2006

Tiamo is an amazing achievement. Mike and Petagay have created an exceptional resort that perfectly blends comfort and relaxation with the unspoiled natural beauty of Andros Island. I had visited Andros several times for fishing, but never considered bringing my wife based on the rough accommodations and that travel to Andros was difficult and unpredictable.

Not any more. NY to Ft. Lauderdale, then Lynx Air, a new service, right into Congo Town. I got a kick out of going through customs at the tiny airport with my 6 fellow travelers. A 5 minute taxi ride to the South Bight, and a short and beautiful boat ride to Tiamo.

I had excellent bonefishing with local guide Marvin Miller, who took me to the west side of Andros to places that have never been fished. He really knew his stuff. Tiamo works with several guides like Marvin, with nice new flats skiffs. There is also snorkeling at several blue holes or hiking inland trails with Tiamo's knowledgeable nature staff.

At dinner, Mike would toast returning couples with champagne. This happened every night the week we stayed at Tiamo. I can see why. We will be back too.

Stayed February 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
toronto canada
Reviewed 13 March 2006

Tiamo is as described by others before me....secluded, blissfully quiet, stunningly beautiful with its deserted beaches, turquoise waters and thriving barrier reef.

On landing, the bungalows and main lodge are not visible...yet as you lie in your most comfortable bed ('open air' surrounded by screened in porch) you can see down a pathway to the sand and sea. The bungalows epitomize the nature of this small resort....simple in design (featuring wood, native stone), finely screened for protection yet wonderfully connected to its beautiful surroundings, private yet seconds from the beach and a minute or two from the main lodge building, comfortably luxurious (great bed and nice linens!)...and all of this with an 'eco friendly', environmentally respectful approach.

Additional comments...

...We encountered ZERO bugs, mosquitos,'noseeums'at this time of the year.

...Temperatures (early March) were ideal (of course we are from the north!)....daytime high 70's and low 60's at night, which was perfect for sleeping under the duvet.

...Water temperatures were a little cool, but wetsuits are available for long snorkelling expeditions (which are a MUST)

...Sightings of large sea turtles, leaping tarpon, small sharks and barracuda were thrilling....not to mention the breathtaking aquatic life in general. All of this is accessible and comes to life as a result of the very knowledgeable staff of 3 young students employed by Tiamo....BRAVO!

...We enjoyed some of the best "dinner parties" ever, as we gathered around a long table with all the resort guests in the evening (all 20 of them!). As noted by others, there is a definite international flavour and a fun, interesting mix of people.

...As dinner "wound down" a bonfire was started on the beach and those wishing to sit and chat, view the stars, have a "nitecap" were welcome.

...Lastly, we found this to be a very "easy" getaway in general. With just four or five days to "escape' at this time, we found the direct flight to Nassau (available commonly in the east) and seaplane trip of less than half an hour ideal. Once on the shore, bags were taken, a drink and light lunch were prepared for us just steps away and within an hour we were walking down the beach!

Tiamo is truly a special place...a rare find and the sort of secluded and peaceful retreat that is becoming more and more difficult to find.

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank talover
Ontario
Reviewed 12 March 2006

My wife and I spent February 22nd to 25th 2006 at Tiamo. Further on down here at TripAdvisor there's some extensive descriptions of what life is like at Tiamo. I agree that the place is magical, unique and worth every cent. You can stay at Atlantis for five hundred bucks a night with thousands of other people and their screaming kids or you can spend just a bit more and visit Tiamo and be one of maximum eleven couples out at the edge of civilization. Rather than repeat what others have said, I'm going to cover some things people didn't write and some things I found different.

The new (as of early February 2006) LynxAir flight from Fort Lauderdale to South Andros on Wednesdays and Saturdays is convenient and a wonderful new way of getting to Tiamo. Another way is via Nassau but descriptions of connection problems though Nassau were part of dinner conversation while I was there so you might want to be careful about the time you leave for these. We took the LynxAir flight which ran exactly on time for both inbound and outbound flights. All Andros transfers via van and boat ran perfectly.

How luggage and customs were handled at the tiny airport was pretty strange for those of us used to being processed efficiently at major airports. When I brought this up, both Mike and Avery (another guest) laughed at me, Avery thought it was perfect and Mike said that Tiamo isn't the easiest place to get to, and that's that way he liked it. People who research Tiamo, decide to make the effort and visit are the people they want.

Tiamo is a place to be active. You're paying more to get to an out-island and the activities are based in part around the ocean. Tiamo's shores are pristine and alive with birds, animals and ocean life. Manta rays glide right through crystal clear water right under the dock. You can throw a mask and flippers on and join them and hundreds of fish right there. Without going more than ten feet I saw barracudas, needlefish, and many other kinds of fish as well as hermit crabs and conch. Each day the nature staff organizes an outing of some kind. While we were there we traveled by boat on an open ocean snorkeling trip and traveled by kayak east along the shore to one of the inland lagoons. You will see ocean life and coral like this at only a very few destinations. Another outing was an inland hike to see iguanas, snakes, plants and trees. Don't miss the infrastructure tour. It's remarkable how Tiamo has engineered solar power, hot water and plumbing.

Bonefishing is a featured activity at Tiamo. For additional cost the resort supplies a specialized bonefishing boat and guide for full day bonefishing trips. People that went bonefishing said that the fishing was spectacular. Ask for Captain Miller.

Good weather is important for Tiamo. If it's cool and the ocean is rough, then the sailing, snorkeling and fishing aren't possible and the inland hikes are then featured. I think there is some risk of poor weather in the dead of winter, say January and early February.

We got a perfect week and all activities were on. Tiamo provides kayaks and sailboats for the guests to use and I urge you to try one of the catamarans. These are really easy to sail, very forgiving and will tack close to the wind very nicely. If you want to go on a more extended sail, Tiamo will pack a lunch and look for you if you don't return on time. The bight is great to explore, many miles of sheltered sailing. Tiamo staff is a bit laid back, just enough to make it comfortable. If you want to do something, just ask someone with a radio and everyone jumps into action.

The food was wonderful, chef Eric's kitchen turned out masterpiece meals. How they did it given the supply chain they have is amazing. Everyone sitting together for dinner is absolutely the best idea. Beverage selections and service were flawless. The bungalows are huge, nestled in the trees and spaced along the beach. We had the furthest one, and it was a five minute hike back home each night.

In the spirit of continuous improvement, I'm going to make one suggestion. I docked Tiamo one tenth of one point for the disappointing coffee at breakfast. Opening a can of Maxwell house, making it weak and providing some skim milk just isn't up to the standard of the rest of the operation.

The last thing is the bugs. I stayed four days at Tiamo and didn't get bit once. There were no mosquitoes or deer flies. There was a few biting midges (Culicoides, commonly called no-see-ums) and a few people that wanted to lay in a hammock to watch the sunset (Tiamo's beach faces west) got a few bites. The midges appeared just at dusk and punished the few folks that weren't up at the bar. We took a high percentage DEET formula and didn't use it at all.

How tipping is handled hasn't been discussed here. You have the opportunity to add a percentage to your total bill and Tiamo distributes that amount to its staff members using their own formula. Easy and a slick way of handling the issue.

We really enjoyed Tiamo and we'll be back.

• Stayed February 2006