“Perfect Bliss -- and Tall Friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Tiamo Resort

Tiamo Resort
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Missouri City, Texas
“Perfect Bliss -- and Tall Friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2006

Tall Specs (provided because we six-footers have concerns that few websites address):

King-size beds are available and no beds have footboards. The semi-outdoor showers have "rain shower" heads that you don't need to scrunch to fit under and solid walls that extend high enough to provide privacy. Mirrors are hung about 6 inches too low to allow scrunch-free hair grooming.

Specs for Everybody:
For laid-back nature-lovers this place is heaven. Your private bungalow is wrapped on three sides with a porch fine-screened against even no-see-ums. On the short sand path just outside your door is a hammock and beyond that a living beach with short, sparse vegetation and lemon sharks, barracuda, and rays that entertain while you watch and disappear while you swim. That beach extends as far as you can see in both directions. It is backed by natural vegetation that supports birds, butterflies, colorful iguanas, and some very cool blue skinks.

Snorkle trips to brightly healthy reefs are topped only by snorkle trips to tidal blue holes (which can be very cold) and to an almost cosmic-feeling underwater fault. Clear, calm water and user-friendly design make Tiamo's sailboats and kayaks exceptionally easy to enjoy. The snorkle and hike guides are interesting, caring, and very knowledgable.

The food is indeed fancy and better than most eco-resort food, but we would have preferred lighter fare with more fruits and veggies -- and at least one meal of real Carribean jerk.

No matter...We loved the leisure, service, and benign jungle feel of Tiamo and shall definitely return!

6 Thank Talltrekker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2006

Firstly, anyone who has given Tiamo a negative review obviously did little or no research into what the place offers and is all about. I can't believe that anyone would come here and be surprised by aything that they found.

We stayed for a week in June and had an absolutely wonderful time. The only negative thing about the whole week were the mosquitos which is hardly the fault of Tiamo!

The bungalows are lovely. The beach is fine. The water is crystal clear. The food was fantastic. Eating with the other guests every night was very enjoyable. Maybe we were just lucky and had nice people there that week (thankfully not some of the people who have left reviews recently). The staff are all great. The locals were extremely pleasant all the time and Adam, Tamara and Graham were simply fantastic. They are enthusiastic, knowledgable and accomodating. I cannot praise them highly enough.

If you are looking for a big resort hotel with HBO, A/C, wireless internet then this is not the place for you. If you are looking for real desert island, away from it all rustic beauty with a personal touch then you should certainly consider Tiamo.

We had a wonderful week as did all the other guests we stayed with and spoke to and we cannot wait to go back.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2006

Tiamo is a wonderful place to spend some peaceful and romantic time with your partner. In our case we had a wonderful honeymoon at Tiamo. It started a little rough with the seaplane being broke down but we didn’t let that ruin our honeymoon realizing that things like that are bound to happen. We were met by the owner, Mike. This was a bonus which made us feel very welcome. The resort was wonderful with its one sign that says “Tiamo”. All of the buildings were hidden behind the trees which made it very secluded. This was just what we were looking for. We stayed in bungalow #6. Everything was beautiful and just like the pictures on the website. The outdoor feeling was very refreshing to our bodies. We were never bored. Everyday, there was something to do. We went snorkeling, diving, swimming, hiking, and kayaking during our stay. (Never do this if your husband is not a “team player”…just drop him on the beach and make him walk) If we wanted it, we got it. There were not many decision-making opportunities, which is what we wanted. The staff members at Tiamo are the absolute best! They were there every time we needed anything. (Thanks Adam for the World Cup scores!)

If you like the outdoors and you want to be eco-friendly; this is the place for you. The bugs are bad this time of season, but don’t worry, Mike and Petagay keep you stocked with spray. After a day, it becomes normal to put on the spray before you leave, then you have nothing to worry about. This is the only thing that was a bit of a downfall but it is nothing. NATURE! There are bugs…we are all telling you before you go, so you have nothing to complain about. If you want a big resort with a lot of people and parties; this is not the place for you. Enjoy the finer things at Tiamo. No worries, no decisions, no shoes! Lay back and relax!
(Tamara...I am looking for some nice spray-on sunblock for you...miss you!)

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
atlanta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2006

I really wrestled with whether to write a review since the owners of Tiamo have clearly endeavored to create a very different resort and I respect their hard work and goals. I do, however believe really strongly in the power of Trip Advisor so I decided I had an obligation to post my experience so that others can make an informed decision. My wife and I planned to stay there Saturday-Saturday starting in the end of May. The second day there I was in the main lodge going through Frommers to get to a different destination. We travel all throughout the Carribean so are infinitely used to the idiosyncrasies of the various islands, but you need to know that great pains have purposely been taken to nudge this little resort into basically a mangrove swamp. The plan was to make this as eco-friendly as possible and I think they've achieved that, but I think there are downsides to this plan if you are planning to go to a carribean destination for total relaxation and to be maybe pampered a bit at the same time (and isn't that why most of us go?) Like I said, we've been to many different islands and have sailed all around the Carribean as well on charters and have never encountered bugs quite like the ones on Tiamo. Even with the highest concentrate of Deet, the combinations of no-seeums, mosquitos and horseflies are brutal.
Ok, the Pros: It's a completely laid-back setting and not the ordinary small resort. Their website is great and somehow 99% of the reviews make this sound like the most amazing place in the Carribean. It was interesting that at dinner virtually everyone I spoke to all found the resort on the internet and were impressed by the reviews. It's expensive, but not at all on the high end of some of the other places we've stayed or that I was looking at for this trip. I have now made the conclusion that if you want the kind of trip we do (great food, a liitle to do but not much, a great beach, good snorkeling, good amenities and a little pampering, like maybe one or two massages), you need to budget easily $700 per night. I will say the kitchen does a decent job here.
The Cons: This really is like camping for adults. The little bungalows offer total privacy, but are very rustic with basically a bedroom in the middle of a four-sided densely screened porch surround. The bathroom is in the back portion and has all exposed copper piping for plumbing with the little faucet handles you see to turn on your garden hose back home. We literally had to hang a washcloth on them because that's the only way you could get enough grip to turn the water on. For camping, this place was fine, but rustic should not get in the way of inconvenient or basic which the bathroom and shower certainly are. The composting toilet wasn't a big deal, but made us feel more like we were boating. Dinner is served at one big long table in the main lodge which is OK I guess, but we really just wanted to vedge and weren't interested in making small talk (or at least having that be such a focus of the dinner setting). I understand you could make arrangements early in the day to have separate seating, but the place is small enough, that would have appeared very awkward to the other guests. One big con is that the menu is set every night which I don't think is represented on the website. I want to have choices on vacation and not be forced to have duck when that's what they're serving that night. The beach is not at all impressive as this resort is on an inlet, not the coast of the ocean. This probably also contributes to the bug problem as there isn't much of a breeze to circulate things. The bugs are abominable and my wife particularly was bitten at least 75 times in a day with pretty sizable welts. Lastly, when we decided to jump islands to stay at Pink Sands on Harbor Island (where we had been before and I knew would maybe salvage the trip), we were only offered a credit for the third night that we could apply to a future stay. Given the actual physical bug-bite issues my wife was trying to endure, I thought this was a poor gesture and there has been no follow up from the owners (who were on a different island when we had to make all the arragnements to leave) since. I think if I went back and added up all the money that we threw at this problem to make it go away and the added travel that made us essentially waste most of one whole day getting to another place, this was probably the most expensive trip we've taken and left me feeling not completely rested and recharged.
There...that's our candid experience unfortunately...

61 Thank islandhopper1
Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2006

So, I was really excited about going up until we started experiencing issues with the resort's staff and our reservations. Turns out we weren't the only ones. I'm glad we had the experience, but the overall trip was pretty disappointing and the cost is WAY too overpriced for what you get. The local staff was very pleasant but the others really do not 'get it'. After reading the reviews I thought I was going to paradise. This place is NOT on an ocean, more like a lake, not exactly swimmable. The bugs were AWFUL (especially the large black flies). The accomodations were interesting but VERY unpleasantly hot (no a/c and not really a good ventilation system). I guess I would have had a better experience if I thought that the (non)local staff cared about making the experience a good one, but maybe we caught these guys on an off week!

• Stayed May 2006
21 Thank KEWLBEANS
China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2006

Everyone seems to love this place, and I can see that it would be appealing since it seems like you're doing something different than just the normal Caribbean thing, or that you've found something sort of obscure, your own little gem, that sort of thing. But because of that, I think the guests give it more credit than it deserves, and the whole place seems to rest on its reputation, except we didn't really ever manage to figure out why it was great. It's not bad by any means, but nothing about it is amazing. The snorkelling trips were interesting, but not spectacular. the interns there seemed more in awe about the fact that they were working there than really sharing anything of interest to us. We weren't interested in bone fishing, so maybe that was a major setback because a lot of people were there specifically for that. The beach was disappointing--not good for swimming and rocky. Is it eco-unfriendly to step on that rock/coral? We kayaked out and found a better one, but it was very mangrove-y all around. The food was good. Dinner with everyone was not our cup of tea--the friendliness seemed a bit forced somehow. I think largely the problem was that everyone was really staunch about how much they loved the place, and we just thought it wasn't as great as we had thought it would be. Eco-friendliness shouldn't mean sacrificing luxury and rustic shouldn't mean sacrificing service.

• Stayed March 2005
27 Thank HMS-APM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2006

My husband and I stayed at Tiamo January 7-12th 2006. We even got married there!! Sometimes the thought of a Destination Wedding is more like a nightmare...but not at Tiamo. Tiamo exceeded our expectations and made us the happiest newlyweds in the world. I could not have wished for anything more, they made a little girl's life long dream come true. Everything was taken care of ahead of time and everything from arrival, to the ceremony and honeymoon, to departure was a breeze!! The food was excellent, service was great and the atmosphere.....Well.... you have to be there to understand how truly unique, relaxing, and beautiful it is. The only, and I do mean only, negative thing I could possibly say is...sand fleas. They bite, and if you forgot your Deep Woods Deet (only brand that works) you'll be itching. BUT, I think those kinds of things come with the territory. I also think the efforts and values that Tiamo stands for are great. Their eco-friendly style was something I have never experienced and it was wonderful. We are planning to return in a few years for a wedding anniversay. See you all soon.

• Stayed January 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Andros
Love At First Sight Hotel
#2 of 5 in Andros
Nathan's Lodge
Nathan's Lodge
#4 of 23 in Andros

Been to Tiamo Resort? Share your experiences!