“Tiamo is amazing!”
Review of Tiamo Resort

Tiamo Resort
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Reviewed 21 March 2007

Tiamo is unlike any place I've ever vacationed. It is truly a unique and impressive place to visit. I did my best to research (read reviews, look up pictures) before my visit, and while much of the information was useful, I found that it's really impossible to grasp the experience until you're actually there.

For example, as our boat drove closer to Tiamo, all I could see was a long row of palm trees, vegetation, and a dock. No tall buildings, no concrete, no cars... just clear water, sand, and palm trees.

The great thing about Tiamo is that you're given everything you need to personalize and create your perfect vacation. If you're looking for quiet and relaxing, you have your own private bungalow, hammock, and beach front seating. You could easily spend all day undisturbed. If you're looking for some adventure, the staff will arrange to take you on a variety of excursions, or you can create your own around the property. Another thing I noticed was the overall sense of community. We chose to participate in the group dinners, and we had a great time.

On our first day there, we went snorkeling over a blue hole with Adam and Tamara. They even brought cookies and water on the boat – which was a relief from the salt water I inhaled as a first time snorkeler. Another day, we decided to do our own snorkeling, so we grabbed some masks and went in search of starfish out from the dock. I also spent plenty of time wandering the beach and reading in the hammocks. Overall, the entire staff was incredibly helpful in managing the details of our stay so that we could relax.

I have a couple of "must do" recommendations for anyone staying at Tiamo. I highly suggest taking a behind the scenes tour. It was so interesting to learn about the history of South Andros as well as Tiamo... not to mention the resort itself is an ecological wonder. On this tour, you get to see exactly how it all works... the solar panels, water treatment, recycling, etc.

Also, I highly recommend that you take an inland blue hole tour. Our guide, Sharon, took us straight into the bush and taught us all about bush medicine and pothole farming as we hiked our way to three different inland blue holes. It was absolutely amazing.

Overall, we had a great time and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Yimin123

Reviewed 5 January 2007

We spent a week at Tiamo in December 2006 and generally agree with the comments of previous reviewers as to the charm, the service and facilities of the resort. But we also agree with TamaBlue below who felt that the near-mandatory communal dinner was an imposition. Yes, we met some nice folks, but we also met some with whom we had nothing in common. Yet, we were obligated night after to night to sit and chit-chat with all comers.The stroll down to the lodge every evening for dinner took on the feeling of a forced march.

The only other grumble we have, a small thing maybe, was the price of wine on the winelist, and then to add insult to injury a $15 corkage charge if you brought your own. We just felt that this was a little over the top in view of the what we were handing over for a week's stay there.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
19  Thank GusGunderson
Reviewed 20 December 2006

My husband and I spent a great deal of time researching our perfect honeymoon on Trip Advisor. Our three requirements were a beach, privacy and all inclusive. I knew from reading other reviews that there might be bugs and this was a "granola" type resort.
We took the Western Air flight from Nassau and I had white knuckles the entire way, it was a departure from the normal flights I am used to taking but it got us there. When we landed in Congo Town we just looked around the small airport really hoping and praying that someone would pick us up because you are in the middle of nowhere! Our driver found us (probably because we looked really lost and out of place!) and took us to the dock where we boarded a boat and headed to Tiamo. We were warmly welcomed on the dock and served a hot breakfast of banana pancakes.
The service at Tiamo is unmatched. They go out of their way to help you and are very friendly. We had no problem with housekeeping coming unannounced, you have a privacy paddle that you hang outside your door if you don't wish to be disturbed and that seemed to work just fine. We had bungalow #10 on the end, it was nice since we were on our honeymoon and had some additional privacy. #10 is only a short walk to the lodge and it on a little curve in the beach so you feel like you are a little more seculded than the other bungalows. We loved our little bungalow with the outdoor shower. It was rustic enough to be fun but you didn't feel like you were camping.
The food at Tiamo is beyond outstanding. I gained back all of the weight that I lost for the wedding! All of the food proved to be so delicious that I didn't care that there was only one choice. It was fun to try new things, especially since it was prepared by a 5 star chef. We had some wonderful pumpkin soup, beef kabobs, filet of beef and asparagas dip. We loved the family style seating, we spent all day alone and it was nice to have some conversation at dinner with people from all over. We met some very nice couples and didn't take advantage of a meal alone. We are very social people so this totally fit in with our personalities.
We went on 3 snorkeling trips that were amazing. Having snorkeled in the Carribean before, I was impressed. Undisturbed reefs with colorful fish, stingrays and even a few sharks! We did the reef snorkel trip and a trip to see the blue holes and enjoyed both. I would also recommend the "behind the scenes tour," it was very interesting to see how this resort came to be and how much thought was put into it.
The only downside is that we happened to visit Tiamo during a freakish cold snap so it was freezing and windy when we arrived. From talking to the local staff, it is only that cold 1 week of the year and that happened to be the week we were there. The only problem is that the bungalows are open air, so there is no keeping out the cold. We spent the first day snuggled in bed because it was too cold to do anything. We didn't see any bug until the last day, I think because it was too cold.
We are already planning a trip back to Tiamo for our 5 year anniversary!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
6  Thank bets2282
Reviewed 6 December 2006

Tiamo was the last stop on a two week wedding/honeymoon trip throughout the Out Islands. We visited A Stone's Throw Away on Nassau for one night, Fernandez Bay on Cat Island, The Four Seasons on Exuma, and Tiamo on Andros.
Because this was a wedding and honeymoon trip, I did extensive research on the places we wanted to visit. Tiamo has a great website and the reviews on TripAdvisor made it sound perfect for us. We decided to make it the last and longest stop of the trip because we anticipated it being our favorite. It definitely lived up to all of our expectations!
First of all, I completely disagree with the previous review. We were on our honeymoon and had a great time. During our stay, one couple had just been married at the resort and another couple was celebrating a ten year anniversary. We were all on romantic trips and no one seemed to feel like privacy was a huge issue. However, the bungalows are a lot closer together than I expected. This usually wasn't a problem because everyone does their own thing during the day, but we could definitely hear the neighbors throughout the trip. Otherwise, the website does a perfect job of portraying the resort. By the way, anyone who complains about having to walk "all the way down the beach to the main lodge" definitely came to the wrong place. The lodge is not a far walk by any means of the imagination.
The resort has one guided trip available each day. We didn't think we would be interested in them because we usually like to explore on our own. We wound up going on every trip. The trips take place between breakfast and lunch, and are very easygoing affairs. The guides are knowledgable (I'm a wildlife biologist) and friendly. They are there to answer questions, but are not in your face and annoying. They simply go along and snorkel with the group. No one is told to slow down or to speed up. The guided trips were all amazing, but don't miss snorkeling The Crack! Oh, as an added treat, the guides always brought along fresh baked cookies and other snacks to eat on the way back to the resort.
The service is really top of the line. The staff is friendly and unobtrusive. My father owns a five-star restaurant and I felt like any of the food served at Tiamo would fit right in there. It was definitely the best food of the trip. Obviously, this probably depends on the other guests, but I loved the family style dinner. The couple on their anniversary trip did sit by themselves on that night, but no one in the group thought that was a bad thing. They didn't seem to have any problem getting a table by themselves. They were seated on the opposite side of the room, and seemed to have complete privacy. Mike (one of the owners) did join us for dinner on the last night of our stay. He was very friendly, told great stories, and bought everybody a round of drinks. Petagay only stopped by a few times at happy hour, and did not seem to be as friendly. She definitely didn't learn our names or ask if we had a good stay, but that didn't change our opinion of the place. She was really friendly on the phone and through email.
I would absolutely recommend the behind the scenes tour that shows how the resort is run as environmentally friendly as possible. It was unbelievable to see how little changes can save so much energy. Mike and Petagay have done an outstanding job!
All of the gear is in great shape. We had a blast kayaking, snorkeling, and sailing. We were there in May, and the bugs weren't great, but they weren't too terrible either. Bugspray is provided in all of the rooms and at the lodge. The wildlife on the island is beautiful and undisturbed. We saw a large group of little blue herons, a green heron, lots of crabs, and so much more. Watch out for the barracuda by the dock!
When we came to the resort, we arrived right after lunch. We went to the main lodge, signed some paperwork, and had a welcome cocktail (all of the drinks are delicious). When we made it to our room, our bags were waiting and so were two plates of food with cookies and drinks. This is just an example of the service to be expected at Tiamo. Like I said, we had stayed at The Four Seasons right before we came to Tiamo. Tiamo was much better by far in all aspects. Thank you Mike and Petagay for a wonderful honeymoon and for taking such good care of your island!

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled as a couple
11  Thank AngelicaS
Reviewed 3 November 2006

My husband and I went to Tiamo for our honeymoon. Their website boasts complete privacy, beautiful beaches, and incredible food.

The food was delicious and the beach is gorgeous. That's about it for the positives. Simply put, Tiamo is great if you love the social atmosphere of a B&B and go on vacations as a way to meet lots of new people (we don’t). If it's luxurious privacy you're looking for, go somewhere else. We were very disappointed and felt that their website was totally misleading. Yes, it’s secluded from the rest of the world. But what about the rest of the guests??

You eat your dinners family style -- everyone at one table (there are a max of 20 guests at the resort at one time). This might be nice if you aren't on your honeymoon. I'm sure my parents, for example, would love it. But we didn't -- we just wanted to be by ourselves and it was impossible. There’s nothing romantic about having to tell Joe Stranger across the table what you do for a living and where you’re from.

You could ask to be seated away from the big table, but that involved arranging it in advance and it was really obvious that you had chosen to completely separate yourselves from The Group. Imagine one big table where all of the guests are sitting, and then 20 feet away, there's you and your spouse sequestered at a little table trying to enjoy a private romantic meal. C'mon.

If you prefer to be served in your room, expect to pay $50 for the "luxury" - they fail to mention that on the website (we complained and got it waived). Of course, you can also carry your food to your room by yourself, but try trudging down a beach carrying a heavy tray laden with food while trying not to get eaten alive by mosquitoes. Did they say this was a luxury resort?!

After 3 nights straight of small talk with people we’ll never see again, we decided to suck it up and carry the food ourselves. They make it SO obvious that you''ve chosen to separate yourself from everyone else, that one of the guests actually had the nerve to say, "Oh? Not joining us tonight, huh??" as if we had somehow committed this major social faux pas for wanting to be alone. It was like being back at camp! I wanted to scream, “WE ARE ON OUR HONEYMOON!!!!!!”

The owners claim that dinner time is their favorite time at Tiamo, yet they were absent for most of our stay and never joined the group for dinner. One or the both of them showed up for a few minutes during the pre-dinner happy hour, but then vanished. Not once did anyone ask us how we were enjoying our stay. They also made no attempt to learn our names, which you'd expect when you own a resort that only services 20 people at a time.

I appreciate the simple ecotourism of the resort. I really respect what they've done. The solar panels and the construction of the bungalows are very impressive. Plus, a week without the internet or TV is a good thing. However, why can't there be phones in the room to ring the front desk? If you wanted ANYTHING - water, clean towels, food, drinks - you had to walk up to the main house and ask for it. It was really annoying. There is no "breakfast in bed" or late night snacks (unless you wanted to walk up the main house for some cookies).

Their brochure claims to be honeymooner's paradise, boasting that guests never have to leave their bungalow if they don't want to. Really? This is only true if you never want to eat. I wanted to wake up leisurely and have a cup of coffee in bed with my husband. Too bad!

You have to get up, get dressed, walk up to the main house and eat with the other guests. I don't mean to sound anti-social but it got old quickly. I was on my honeymoon and resented the forced socializing and always having to go up to the main house for absolutely everything. It began to take on the feel of a corporate retreat. If they just installed some phones (or walkie talkies!) in the room, they could provide room service. We really missed this.

The times we did spend alone in our bungalow were constantly interrupted by the housekeeping staff, who had an uncanny knack for arriving at the MOST inopportune moments.

The bungalows are screened-in and are private until you walk right up the steps -- then you can see straight in. Since the resort only has 10 bungalows, how difficult is it to keep track of where the guests are so that housekeeping can do their job without disturbing anyone?! For example, if you see Bungalow #7 eating their breakfast, THAT'S the time to go clean their room.

Instead, the staff always arrived while we were just getting out of the shower, or napping, or doing other things that you might do while on your honeymoon. It happened almost every day, so much so that I never felt truly "alone" in our bungalow.

I kept waiting for the inevitable interruption, and when it would happen we wouldn't get an apology. One of the housekeepers actually complained to US because we were there every time she arrived. I guess we should've felt bad for inconveniencing her?!

Another warning: do NOT go in May or June! This is prime mosquito season and it was unbearable!!! If you go at another time, iIm sure it's beautiful.

It wasn't ALL bad, though: the guides are great and the snorkelling is outstanding. The water is gorgeous and the absence of loud motorized jet-skis was nice.

We kayaked everywhere. Because the place is so close to its original state (as opposed to a resort that’s cut everything down and paved over it) you could see crabs all over the place – it was really cool.

The food was also outstanding, and the drinks were really good and not expensive at all.

Tiamo, we concluded, could be PERFECT if you went with friends and wanted to meet other people. But if it's quiet seclusion you're looking for, this isn't the place.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
45  Thank BlueKitsy
Reviewed 19 October 2006

We went to Tiamo on our week long honeymoon. What can I say- it was an awesome resort. The remoteness and feeling of peacefulness are tough to put down in words. By the middle of our trip I was already dreading the fact that we would have to leave and head back to the world.

The bungalows were wonderful, airy, and comfortable. There is not a need for air conditioning in the bungalows- they are screened on each side, are raised off the ground, and have several fans. Escaping from the society imposed technology and restrictions is what we were looking for. We had some of the best nights sleep ever!!

The resort did a great job of balancing luxury with its eco-friendly principals and education. The service was exceptional and the staff was very friendly, knowledgeable, and accommodating. The food was world class (we loved the fish cakes lunch!) although there could have been a little more variety in the fish meals. Our dinners included duck, fish, and rack of lamb. The bar drinks were reasonable priced and included some sort of free appetizer during happy hour.

The daily snorkeling trips were enjoyable- we saw lots of the coral, fish, some sharks, and barracudas. We learned a lot about the local environment in the process. We also really enjoyed the easy to use sailboats and the fact that there were kayaks available at the resort.

I had read on Trip Advisor before we went that the swimming was difficult. We did not really find it so- stick to the right side of the dock if you choose to go. You may have to go out a ways during low tide, but it wasn’t a problem for us.

Going into the trip we realized that were going to a remote, tropical environment and that there most likely were going to be bugs. Use some bug spray and avoid the beach at sundown and you will be OK. The resort provides bug spray but we decided to bring our own of the strongest kind we could find.

Overall we felt this trip was money well spend and we wouldn’t have changed our honeymoon selection for the world!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TravelinLight2
Reviewed 4 September 2006

My husband and I honeymooned at Tiamo and had a wonderful time. Going to Tiamo you need to know off the bat that there is no air conditioning and it can be a bit buggy but if you love being in a beautiful setting with friendly people and are looking for a place that combines water activities, relaxing and excellent food and service then this is the place for you. Once we figured out we needed to use bug repellent then the bugs were no longer an issue. We never felt that we needed a/c because the rooms are well-ventilated. The snorkeling was fantastic and run by well-informed, friendly guides. We took advantage of the sailboats and kayaks as well as lazing around in the hammocks. We liked the communal dining and met lots of really friendly guests. Petagy and Mike are very down-to-earth and were great hosts. Perfect place for those who are looking for an out of the way Caribbean get away that has the elements of a resort (you pay a set price, have planned optional activities, great food) without being too resort-y.

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank lwayt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Andros
Swain's Cay Lodge
#1 of 9 in Andros
Kamalame Cay
Kamalame Cay
#2 of 9 in Andros

Been to Tiamo Resort? Share your experiences!