“MUST READ...” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Bimini
Palm Beach, Florida
“MUST READ...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

I arrived in North Bimini for my first time with a lot of excitement. The water was beautiful and the locals were very friendly with a great sense of humor. After a speedy 3 hour check in we made it to our unobstructed view of what looked like an oil rig sitting a few hundred yards off the beach. I couldn't believe every house and condo on the island was stuck with this view and this huge industrial machine was allowed to be so close to the beach where everyone swims. After asking around I learned that the Malaysia based Genting Group who owns Resort World started a deep dredge project for a new cruise terminal that would decimate all Marine life in the area. I took a tour of the 100+ acres of mangroves that are a wetland nursery. It was mind blowing exploring this magical underwater forest and getting to witness how much life was at risk. In the first 30minutes I had seen 20+ turtles, baby sharks, rays ect... I learned this sanctuary would be ruined if the dredging continued and heard about the plans of a golf course that would entail bulldozing even more acres of the mangroves that would add to the 160 acres of healthy mangrove wetland nursery habitat already destroyed by the Bimini Bay Resort development. If it wasn't already tough enough to sleep that night we laid awake in bed listening to the souped up gas powered golf carts that constantly buzz up and down the roads. Everyday we looked for dolphins but they must have already packed up to find another home due to the dredging. The Sharks were still around and healthy.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
26 Thank SwellConnections

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I had originally bought a groupon last fall and attempted to use it when my parents were in town in November, but unfortunately the cruise was cancelled due to rough seas. They did communicate with me ahead of time via email, however they counted the groupons as used and rescheduled us. Unfortunately my parents were only in town for a week and I eventually lost out on the 2 groupons I had purchased for them with no refund or compensation. Lesson learned, I will only buy one at a time just to be sure. I have a job where I can't really travel on the weekends, but I managed to get a Sunday off (I much prefer weekday travel, and if they had back-to-back cruises on the weekdays I would consider staying overnight). That being said I went on my own and used mine for a day cruise, the second time I just paid the deal price they had on their website as I had no more groupons. I went the first time in late April and the 2nd time just this past weekend, the beginning of June. I was quite skeptical about the whole process after reading all the awful reviews, and I do mean just terrible reviews (for the most part). Check the weather for Miami and Bimini before you book. Just google it, if the seas are rough or the winds really high, don't book it because they will either have to cancel, or it sounds like there may be issues with the tenders. I actually checked it a few times just to get used to when they cancelled and when they didn't (you can check on their website each day to see if they are going to sale) and I it helped me pinpoint a good weekend each time to go. Because of all the reading I did I was pretty prepared when I got there. The first day cruise I did I got there at 7ish and the 2nd one closer to 730. I had to stand in line about 30 minutes on the 2nd cruise, no time at all on the first one. Upon boarding the ship I explored the ship and I was quite surprised at how large it was, basically a mini-cruise ship. The first time I ate in the buffet for breakfast for $10. The second time I ate up on deck 10 for the continental breakfast for $5. I preferred the breakfast upstairs, it was half the price and you got bread, cereals, pastries, fruit and coffee/juice. It is one trip through though, not all you can eat so keep that in mind for which ever you decide to go with. We left right on time both times, by 9:05-9:10 and headed for Bimini. We arrived just before noon and each time I waited downstairs in the line about 30-40 minutes ahead of time to make sure I got on the first tender (found that out from talking to people about the process and reading the reviews). Both times I got on the first tender, making it to the island around 1230-1240. I actually enjoyed the ride into the docks - it gave me a chance to see the island up close from a boat. Once at the docks there are trams waiting to take you to "the beach", "the resort casino/pools" or into "Alice Town". I went with the tram to the beach the first time. It is an absolutely beautiful beach. The second time I went I rented my own golf cart for $40 right at the docks. Rent the golf cart! Without it, it is impossible to see everything in the short time you are there. We were there for about 3 hours and 15 minutes each time, the second time I saw so much more because I was able to drive around everywhere. I didn't eat on the island either time because I was busy on the beach or driving around exploring. The tender ride back to the ship can be a little crazy, on Sunday's anyways. You come back with twice as many people it seems than you left with. I guess because of all the people that stay overnight on the island. Don't be the last person back to the tender or you will be squished on it seems. I got back a little early (like 10-15 minutes) so I was fine. The second time was a little more relaxing as I got on the first tender back at 3:45, I enjoyed that more than the last one, it wasn't quite as jam packed. After you get back to the ship you do have to go through security again (although I have cruised regular cruises as well so it is no different than a regular cruise ship after you go into a port). Once back on the ship I ate dinner in the buffet for $15. The food was decent, you do have to ask for a drink if you want one. They bring you water but that's it, although I asked for coffee each time and they brought it. Once my dinner was done I went up to the deck (I am not a big gambler so that really wasn't an enticement for me) and sat on deck and read till we made it back to Miami, right around 745- 8pm. I had already heard about the wait to get off and through customs so I (and some other people) just relaxed on the upper decks watching the sunset till eventually the crew came and let us know the line was gone. Each time I got off the ship around 8:50 pm and cruised right through customs at that point. I will say the crew on the ship was super friendly from start to finish. Even after working all day they were smiling and wishing us a good night right up until the end of the night. I really did enjoy both of my day trips there and love the beauty of Bimini.

Room Tip: I didn't stay overnight, so not sure there
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
8 Thank sdm23669
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The staff is more than friendly. You are treated like family. Everyone is above and beyond nice and accommodating. We rented a two story town house. It was as comfortable as being home. The food choices were abundant and most of it was very good. A few cons - But if you are prepared for them they are very palatable. 1) there is one place for breakfast (unless you eat in your town house. Which does have a full kitchen, but who wants to do that on vacation) It takes a long time for the food to be prepared (it is made to order) If you order, take a walk with your coffee and plan your day, the wait is still a bit long. 2) If you do not know to reserve a golf cart before you get to the island, you spend a lot of time on mass transit which inhibits some freedom of movement at your convenience. 3) We decided to eat lunch in the main bar area where they had a BBQ style lunch. The food was good but the flies became annoying - this the Resorts World needs to find a solution. It was great eating on the dock but would have been much more enjoyable without the flies. All in all the beach is beautiful, the staff is great and the amenities are abundant.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank jrosen012
Aspen, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Resort World is all about Bimini and their property and influence are everywhere..more for the travelers looking for real world comforts....like gambling and slot machines. But the real beauty in Bimini is outside these doors on the indisputably gorgeous beaches with turquoise waters inviting you in! Don't miss out on the conch salads at the local seafood shacks...just the best!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dianainaspen
Pembroke Pines, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

My fiancee and I had a great time. We did not take the day trip because if you do some research you will find out you spend to little time on the island. So we did the overnight trip and we had a excellent time. We rented a golf cart and it was just fun fun fun. Our service was very good the guys at the bar in the casino and the ones out by the beach were very serviceable and good to us.

Room Tip: The ones closest to the beach.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jetster7
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I’ve stayed everywhere in Bimini & this is by far the worst.
I was warned by others to stay away. I wish I would have listened.
Most things don’t work like the pool, the security card door locks etc.
Most times are not accurate like when a restaurant is supposed to be open or closed or the fast ferry.
Stay somewhere else if you want a fun time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
18 Thank Mike W
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

The casino at Resorts World is relatively new. Nice bar scene with black jack, roulette and craps tables. Looks like a good fit as they are building the hotel around it. The staff is professional, although I did have to make the dealer "re-count" the cards once. All good.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Bob D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bimini
Hilton At Resorts World Bimini
Hotel Villa Lodge 4 Epices
Hotel Villa Lodge 4 Epices
#5 of 7 in Grand Cul-de-Sac
Bimini Big Game Club Resort & Marina

Been to Resorts World Bimini? Share your experiences!