“Resorts World Bimini” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Bimini
Miami, Florida, USA
“Resorts World Bimini”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Summary: New mini casino on North Bimini who took over Bimini Bay. It is undergoing enormous construction. They are building like crazy. Their construction projects are messing with the island in a bad way with hundreds of tons sand being pumped across the island to their new mega project. Amazingly enough nobody seems to know what they are building there. I was told a water park or maybe a golf course. Whatever they are doing, they were doing it 24-7. Which meant nonstop construction noise and construction workers criss crossing the property at all hours of the day and night.

Pros: 1. Its close to Miami.
2. The casino was fun.

Cons: 1. The accommodations were dirty. Lots of hair all over the place. I don't believe housekeeping has a vacuum.
2. The house we rented was right across from the construction site. We had no view and constant noise.
3. Casino is tiny.
4. The Bimini Superfast Un loads a huge burst of tourists that go around on these silly looking trollies stoping at predetermined locations where Resorts World gets a cut. They kill any atmosphere.
5. Construction maybe necessary for the resort to thrive but it can never be Atlantis.
6. It's impossible to get anyone by phone. You have to do it in person.
7. We wanted to dive and were told that their dive boat was broken. So we decided to go bonefishing instead but we were then told that that boat was broken too.
8. The resort is expensive.
9. The food was mediocre. With few good choices. We mostly had great fish sandwiches in town.
10. Service is slow.
11. Construction is killing the island. The Superfast pier will be a terrible eyesore.

We won't be returning.

Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Giovanni T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from a quick 2 night stay and had to request to add another night because we had so much fun!

It was 4th of July weekend. We took a seaplane from Ft. Laud and arrived in Bimini in 25 mins. Our room wasn't ready so we took off on the golf cart to explore the island. Edith's is known for their lobster pizza and it was delicious. If you want to dance go to Big Johns for some late night fun and their jerk chicken was great. If you want to enjoy a very secluded island take the 2 min ferry ride over to South Bimini.

Pros: beautiful turquoise water
the locals are so friendly
Driving around the island in a golf cart was super fun
Great island food
The infinity pool is so amazing
The food at the resort is good not great but good

Cons: anyone that has traveled to an island knows the things run a lot slower than in the USA....you have to be patient
The pool kept running out of towels
There is construction...but can't wait for the new hotel.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Robin T
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We have stayed in one their condos which are well equipped. They have many choices. This time we were just hanging out at the pools and the casino.
The pools are very nice. The casino is nice but I did not like the smoke or that it was 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

They have a few bars, but they are not always open. It depends on the season.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
2 Thank Blueabyss
new york, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Went for the long July 4th weekend. The place is not clean, the food is just OK and staff courtesy is just hot or miss. Waited till after 3/pm everyday for our room to be cleaned in spite of calling at 8/am asking for the room to be cleaned. The best part of the trip was the sea plane to Bimini and the sea plane leaving Bimini!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank CarlieNYC
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

To be honest, I was actually expecting the worse because of the past reviews but I didn’t experience any of what I read or heard. The process of getting from the boat to the island was quick and checking in was no issue. Jeremy I believe that’s his name was great. The only issue was the room assigned wasn’t ready when we walked into it but they immediately sent us to one that was. But no major issues for me and recommending the golf cart was absolutely necessary.

I was pretty satisfied and would definitely recommend it and plan to come back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank trobertson293
Palm Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

I arrived in North Bimini for my first time with a lot of excitement. The water was beautiful and the locals were very friendly with a great sense of humor. After a speedy 3 hour check in we made it to our unobstructed view of what looked like an oil rig sitting a few hundred yards off the beach. I couldn't believe every house and condo on the island was stuck with this view and this huge industrial machine was allowed to be so close to the beach where everyone swims. After asking around I learned that the Malaysia based Genting Group who owns Resort World started a deep dredge project for a new cruise terminal that would decimate all Marine life in the area. I took a tour of the 100+ acres of mangroves that are a wetland nursery. It was mind blowing exploring this magical underwater forest and getting to witness how much life was at risk. In the first 30minutes I had seen 20+ turtles, baby sharks, rays ect... I learned this sanctuary would be ruined if the dredging continued and heard about the plans of a golf course that would entail bulldozing even more acres of the mangroves that would add to the 160 acres of healthy mangrove wetland nursery habitat already destroyed by the Bimini Bay Resort development. If it wasn't already tough enough to sleep that night we laid awake in bed listening to the souped up gas powered golf carts that constantly buzz up and down the roads. Everyday we looked for dolphins but they must have already packed up to find another home due to the dredging. The Sharks were still around and healthy.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
26 Thank SwellConnections
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I had originally bought a groupon last fall and attempted to use it when my parents were in town in November, but unfortunately the cruise was cancelled due to rough seas. They did communicate with me ahead of time via email, however they counted the groupons as used and rescheduled us. Unfortunately my parents were only in town for a week and I eventually lost out on the 2 groupons I had purchased for them with no refund or compensation. Lesson learned, I will only buy one at a time just to be sure. I have a job where I can't really travel on the weekends, but I managed to get a Sunday off (I much prefer weekday travel, and if they had back-to-back cruises on the weekdays I would consider staying overnight). That being said I went on my own and used mine for a day cruise, the second time I just paid the deal price they had on their website as I had no more groupons. I went the first time in late April and the 2nd time just this past weekend, the beginning of June. I was quite skeptical about the whole process after reading all the awful reviews, and I do mean just terrible reviews (for the most part). Check the weather for Miami and Bimini before you book. Just google it, if the seas are rough or the winds really high, don't book it because they will either have to cancel, or it sounds like there may be issues with the tenders. I actually checked it a few times just to get used to when they cancelled and when they didn't (you can check on their website each day to see if they are going to sale) and I it helped me pinpoint a good weekend each time to go. Because of all the reading I did I was pretty prepared when I got there. The first day cruise I did I got there at 7ish and the 2nd one closer to 730. I had to stand in line about 30 minutes on the 2nd cruise, no time at all on the first one. Upon boarding the ship I explored the ship and I was quite surprised at how large it was, basically a mini-cruise ship. The first time I ate in the buffet for breakfast for $10. The second time I ate up on deck 10 for the continental breakfast for $5. I preferred the breakfast upstairs, it was half the price and you got bread, cereals, pastries, fruit and coffee/juice. It is one trip through though, not all you can eat so keep that in mind for which ever you decide to go with. We left right on time both times, by 9:05-9:10 and headed for Bimini. We arrived just before noon and each time I waited downstairs in the line about 30-40 minutes ahead of time to make sure I got on the first tender (found that out from talking to people about the process and reading the reviews). Both times I got on the first tender, making it to the island around 1230-1240. I actually enjoyed the ride into the docks - it gave me a chance to see the island up close from a boat. Once at the docks there are trams waiting to take you to "the beach", "the resort casino/pools" or into "Alice Town". I went with the tram to the beach the first time. It is an absolutely beautiful beach. The second time I went I rented my own golf cart for $40 right at the docks. Rent the golf cart! Without it, it is impossible to see everything in the short time you are there. We were there for about 3 hours and 15 minutes each time, the second time I saw so much more because I was able to drive around everywhere. I didn't eat on the island either time because I was busy on the beach or driving around exploring. The tender ride back to the ship can be a little crazy, on Sunday's anyways. You come back with twice as many people it seems than you left with. I guess because of all the people that stay overnight on the island. Don't be the last person back to the tender or you will be squished on it seems. I got back a little early (like 10-15 minutes) so I was fine. The second time was a little more relaxing as I got on the first tender back at 3:45, I enjoyed that more than the last one, it wasn't quite as jam packed. After you get back to the ship you do have to go through security again (although I have cruised regular cruises as well so it is no different than a regular cruise ship after you go into a port). Once back on the ship I ate dinner in the buffet for $15. The food was decent, you do have to ask for a drink if you want one. They bring you water but that's it, although I asked for coffee each time and they brought it. Once my dinner was done I went up to the deck (I am not a big gambler so that really wasn't an enticement for me) and sat on deck and read till we made it back to Miami, right around 745- 8pm. I had already heard about the wait to get off and through customs so I (and some other people) just relaxed on the upper decks watching the sunset till eventually the crew came and let us know the line was gone. Each time I got off the ship around 8:50 pm and cruised right through customs at that point. I will say the crew on the ship was super friendly from start to finish. Even after working all day they were smiling and wishing us a good night right up until the end of the night. I really did enjoy both of my day trips there and love the beauty of Bimini.

Room Tip: I didn't stay overnight, so not sure there