“Best vacation ever - unique island setting”

Fernandez Bay Village
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Cat Island
Atlanta, Georgia
“Best vacation ever - unique island setting”
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Just got back from a wedding/vacation at Fernandez Bay Village and could not have asked for a better beach location. We were greeted and picked up at the airport and took the brief drive to the resort where we met Donna - awesome hostess. Fantastic check in service - we got a brief tour of the important stuff - dining room and meal schedule, honor bar (yes in 2012 you can actually go to a resort and they trust you - just like the corner store where you write down what you drink and they bill you at the end!) and our villa.
We stayed at the Sea Garden villa which was perfect for two couples. Seperate but equal bedrooms joined with a comfy living room area - but we spent very little time in our rooms, too much to see and do. Comfortable beds, air conditioning, and cool outdoor showers. There is nothing better than taking a shower and having a cool breeze go by. Unique and fun!
Beach was incredible with fine white sand, gently sloping - great for kids to play. We took the complementary kayaks out to the small volcanic island to snorkel and then went around the bend through the mangrove river. Saw sea turtles. Tried paddleboarding for the first time. Took a cruise in the power boat (you can be your own captain). We visited the Hermatage (a must see) and toured the island - remote with it's own warm personality.
It was nice to have access to the internet in the lobby but a break from electronics was really the best part of this vacation. The resort provides all the modern conveniences with the unusual tranquility of being the only guests as far as the eye can see. You really do get your own beach here.
I did not get a chance to use the onsite bikes - we will have to save that for another time. The meals were fantastic with variety and plenty of food. The wedding was gorgeous and it seemed that nothing was too much to ask of this great family and staff. Go - you will not regret it. I know I will be back as soon as I can!

Room Tip: Sea Garden villa is a small walk to the main lobby area and the bar.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LisaGab
tameron13, Owner at Fernandez Bay Village, responded to this review, 17 November 2012
Thanks for staying with us....We are so happy everyone enjoyed their holiday. We had a great time with you and your crew, and I agree the wedding was beautiful! Look forward to seeing your smiling faces again :-)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Reviewed 8 November 2012

We just celebrated our wedding at Fernandez Bay Villiage! We had 22 guest and used several villas, cottages, and the larger home on the property. Everyone was so pleased with their accommodations, the beach and water was picture perfect, and the staff was amazing! Everyday we all had plenty to do at no extra cost, everyone was happy from our youngest guest 2yrs old to our oldest 67yrs old! The opportunities to enjoy snorkeling, paddle boards, kayaks, biking, trip to the Hermitage, or just staying on the beach made each day such a pleasure. And if things couldn't get better the food is amazing! We are foodies from Atlanta, and everything from the breakfast brunch to the Lobster tail was perfect! The kitchen staff was so happy to accommodate everyone's needs to a tee. The honor bar was a hoot it felt like you were at home, want something- just go get it, how simple is that! The beds an linens were also top notch and being put to sleep by the sound of the ocean was amazing.
The owners Pam and Tony, and Pam's parents treat you like their own house guest! Each morning they are there with smiling faces and a what can we do for you attitude. So nice you felt like family!
As for the Manager Donna couldn't ask for more! She was so helpful from the first time we spoke in March till the day we had to leave. If you are a bride looking for a wedding spot you can't beat this place! The whole resort is there for you and all they want is for you to know this is your wedding, your way! We really had the time of our life's and I don't think we could have picked a better place for our wedding or our guest! Thanks to everyone that made it all come together at Fernandez Bay Village we will see you again soon!

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Kirbynicci
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 October 2012

We were weary of the Atlantis-Paradise Island experience so we decided to chose one of the outer islands. Cat Island is beyond remote! There are literally two restaurants on the entire island so if you're looking for remote you've found it!

The Fernandez experience is great. We were only able to get away for a few days, but we loved our time at Fernandez. Starting with the friendliness of the staff. They want to get to know you and hear your story. Every night they owners meet in the bar area for cocktails and appetizers talking with all the guests which is a nice aspect. In terms of food, there aren't many options on the island so plan on eating at Fernandez. The food is varied, plentiful, and filling with lots of fish and meat options for the family style meal. Loved dessert! Sometimes I had two... We loved that the bar was an honor bar which gave us an opportunity to make our own cocktails the way we like really playing into the laid back atmosphere. No need to dress up here!

The cottages are very beautiful and I loved the outdoor shower. If you are afraid of bugs though note that critters can get into the room. I shrieked when I saw a beatle in our bed after coming back from dinner!

We loved that we could explore the island using the bikes at the hotel. It made for a fun adventure!

For the price though all in all Fernandez is a great option and we would recommend it to others!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank veronicahalbeck
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 August 2012

If we could give Fernandez Bay Village ten stars, we would. We had such a wonderful stay here the week before July 4th. It was relaxing and beautiful. We stayed in Shane's shack, which I highly recommend. Waking up in bed to that view can't be beat. We'd considered Bora Bora for our summer vacation, but the travel time would have eaten in to our holiday. Truly, I'm glad we chose Cat Island instead. It wasbreathtakingly beautiful, so quiet and relaxing, and just a couple short plane rides away. We're in our early 30's and for us it was the perfect balance of relaxation, romance, and fun. We met some great people to hang out with at night. This place draws in a great crowd, and even if it didn't Shane and Elissa are pretty awesome. Donna really went out of her way for us arranging a day on the other side of the island. It was great to trip, but almost unecessary considering that during the day we felt like we had the beach completely to ourselves in fernandez bay. The food was very good, the accomodations were rustic chic as we expected. Bugs were my biggest concern, but a little bug spray took care of that. Of course we kayaked to the black hole, rode bikes to the hermatage, snorkeled the little cay, and tried our hand at paddleboarding. It was great, and we'll be back.

3 Thank steph w
usa
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I enjoyed my stay at Fernandez Bay Village. My husband and I stayed for a week in July, for our 25th wedding anniversary. We stayed in the coral cottage. From the main office/dining area was a nice walk, didn’t seem so long because you walk along the ocean, but we timed it once and it was about 7 minutes. When we checked in they gave us a small flashlight for walking back to the cottage at night, so you can watch out for the land crabs! Yes, we saw crabs but they seemed more afraid of humans. There are many, many stars in their sky at night – beautiful!

Yes, breakfast was good but pricey. There was a small coffee pot in our room and a small refrigerator. And if you ask, they will take you to the store – we bought beer, soda and a few snacks. Lunch was good, (I recommend the turkey sandwich) and cost less than breakfast depending on what you order. Dinner was always good, buffet style with one seafood dish and one meat dish.

We did rent a car one day, easy to do and nice to see the island. We stopped for lunch at the Bluebird – nice people and good food. Climbed up to see The Hermitage, where there are beautiful views all around. Remember the Bug spray, mainly in the evenings and walking up to The Hermitage.

Loved the beach, the clear blue water was so nice. We lounged on rafts, snorkeled, and kayaked. We brought our own snorkel gear and saw beautiful fish by the rocks.
We did find the “blue hole” Not as easy as it sounds. We just happened on it, when we were about to give up. Apparently there is more than one blue hole, we’ll have to go back☺ and find it. Make sure you bring watershoes as the rocks are very craggy and sharp. We were very lucky the weather was warm and sunny all but one day.

We enjoyed going to dinner and meeting all the other guests. Everyone was very nice – All the employees and guests. We definitely would love to return.

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Just returned to the UK after 9 days at FBV. Well worth the long trip - a lovely family break - super staff, food, resort and a great time for a chilled out relaxing holiday away from it all. Just amazing to walk up the beach from our villa for breakfast everyday, and beautiful clear water for snorkeling and Kayaking. We also got a car for a few days to check out the rest of the island, but really, apart from no diving or sailing facilities/equipment, FBV had it all. We did have a great time diving at the Greenwood Inn with Chris - and I'd recommend that too if you want to go diving. Overall a lovely time - we did have one issue with air con not working in one of the bedrooms in our villa, so they let us use the adjacent house too, an not extra cost - very cool.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Junction City
Reviewed 25 July 2012

My now husband and I just returned from Fernandez Bay Village and have already started talking about when/how we can go back. From the moment we walked up the steps to the clubhouse to the second we said goodbye at the airport we felt right at home. When arriving Elissa made every attempt to make my husband and I feel so comfortable which after a long day of traveling was really appreciated. Within seconds of being at the resort our bags were on the floor, our shoes were off and we knew exactly how to get anything we wanted/needed. While staying at Fernande Bay Village my husband and I got married. Prior to the trip I had reservations about getting married so far from home without and family or friends. The second I met Donna and the rest of the staff at FBV all reservations were put to rest. Pam, Tony, Donna, Shane, Elissa, many of the guests and the rest of the staff at FBV made my husband and I feel as if we had family there because we were treated like family. As a young first time bride it is natural to have the feelings of I wish my mother were here, I wish, I wish but we were treated so kind and on such a personal level that I never had those feelings. My wedding was so special, a day that I will cherish forever and it is not because I had the most beautiful backdrop or an amazing dress it is because of Tony, Pam, Shane, Elissa, and Donna. This trip/experience could have easily gone a different direction, however I am so glad I chose FBV as our wedding/honeymoon destination as the staff made it just what I had always dreamed...perfect!!! While staying at FBV Justin and I stayed in the Shane shack which is literally just steps from the water. The water was crystal clear, the weather was perfect and there was plenty of activities to do. When we wanted to relax and lay out we could do that and when we were feeling adventurous we could go kayaking, paddleboarding, and snorkeling. We also went out with Shane on a snorkeling trip to these amazing reefs. Shane was an amazing guide and made us feel very comfortable in the water as have not snorkeled much. We kayaked up the creek and saw stingrays and sea turtles. Many times we were the only ones on the beach and that was an amazing feeling. So many times you find yourself on vacation only to fight crowds, getting up early to make reservations and having little time to actually vacation. Not at FBV. No matter how many guests were there we still felt as if we had the place to ourselves. Days were filled with romantic walks on the beach, soaking up the sun, kayaking, etc and most of that time little/no people were seen and that was amazing. I felt as if the staff was there when you needed them but gave everyone enough distance that you still felt as if you were the only ones there. I really enjoyed dinners as this is when all the guests got together which gave us the social time we needed and even then we never felt as if the place was to crowded. Overall our trip was amazing and it was due to the staff at FBV. Thank you so much for making our wedding day so special and for treating us as if we belonged there. You will forever be in our hearts..we will never forget how special our trip/day was just because of you. Looking forward to coming back ASAP with our little boy so that he can come enjoy this place as much as we did! Thanks FBV for making lifetime memories!!!

1 Thank Rosie R
Love At First Sight Hotel
Greenwood Beach Resort
Greenwood Beach Resort
#4 of 10 in Cat Island

Been to Fernandez Bay Village? Share your experiences!