“Great place for some peace and quiet!”

Greenwood Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Cat Island
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I visited The Greenwood Beach Resort from April 5 - 15, 2012 and had a lovely time. The resort is run by Waldemar and Anna Illing and they provided me with everything I could possibly need and much, much more. If you are looking for a quiet place to walk the beach, read, rest, enjoy the sun and enjoy great food and atmosphere then this is the place for you! I never had the same meal once, in the 10 days that I was there. The homemade soups are incredible and I especially liked Anna's cabbage soup. The conch was also delicious.

The Illings have 3 dogs and a cat who were my constant companions. Anytime I wanted company when I walked the beach, one of the dogs would come with me. The ocean is quite warm this time of year and I swam and sunbathed every single day.

The rooms are neat and clean. Beds were the most comfortable I have slept on ever in a resort. The staff made a point of remembering my name and I felt very much at home. I absolutely cannot wait to go back. This is the ideal place for either the solo traveler or someone who wants to get away from everything. 5 stars!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank lauralk1p2

Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is a great value spot in the Bahamas. Everything as clean and hosts as accommodating as possible. Both times I arrived somewhat handicapped with bad knees. Last year was right after being discharged from rehab following a knee replacement. We selected the resort as a place to recuperate with few steps and snorkeling on site. We stayed just over 2 weeks both times. This year's visit was just prior to getting the second knee replaced. I arrived with and used a walker everywhere including on the beach and out into the water. Everyone was thoughtful and helpful and I went into surgery relaxed and healthy. We love the beach and the laid-back quality and meeting other people of similar tastes. We'll be back, totally healthy next year!

Room Tip: We find the non-ac rooms a good value. We don't mind the birds early in the morning and like the...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LivyGl
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We just got back from Greenwood Beach Resort. What a wonderful trip!!! I felt like I had my own beach place. Food was wonderful, best pumpkin soup I ever had. The cook was a Cat Island resident and you could tell. Very down home cooking. Beach was beautiful. You could walk for miles and not see another person. I would recommend renting a car for the day and visiting the Hermitage. Father Jerome built a home on the largest mountain on the island. Very cool place to visit. This is a place to come and relax! Not a place to come and be entertained.
Plan to go back again. One more thing, you must like dogs, they have 3 wonderful dogs and a lap cat:)f

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank JonelleAnnapolis
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I stayed at the Greenwood Beach Resort with my wife from the 7th to 11th of April and actually ended up cutting our stay short due to our dissatisfaction.
After looking at Greenwood's website, we were expecting a quiet resort with simple clean rooms and good food. I had also been guaranteed by email that I would be able to go scuba diving on a daily basis.

Whilst it is true that the resort is situated in a beautiful location, I would point out that virtually any place on Cat Island is equally so.

The hotel owners are Waldemar and Ana, a 75-year-old German couple who have run the resort for over 20 years. We found them both to be quite rude with no real notion of modern hospitality. Everything that was asked of them was done begrudgingly, even though we were paying for these services.

The facilities at the resort haven't been touched in 20 years and the general state of the buildings and furnishings is pretty shabby.

On arrival we were shown to our room in a very unenthusiastic manner. The room was a small, very basic one with no T.V or fridge and a defective shower.
We had the full meal plan and found that the food was average with absolutely no choice whatsoever. You get what you are given and like it or lump it! The variety of the food that we were served was very limited and definitely over-priced.

There are no other restaurants or shops in the vicinity, so alternatives to eating in-situ are non-existent. The kitchen is closed outside meal times and the pricy self-service bar and common area close at 10pm.

The owners have 3 dogs, which are allowed a free run of the property, including the kitchen and dining area. I have a dog myself and can't understand how the owners allow them to bother guests while they are eating (poking their head on their laps and licking hands!). Two of the dogs looked under-fed and I even saw a couple of ticks on one dog's leg!

The resort offers no activities and the snorkelling around the beach is unimpressive. The dive school is a real joke. I was assured when I made my reservation that diving during my stay was possible. However, when I arrived and saw the "dive school" I began to worry.
I had spoken to the hotel owner the night before my first day diving, and he'd told me I'd be able to dive at 8 am. Nevertheless, he was nowhere to be seen at this time and his wife told me that he was sleeping. She took me to a shed-like building and told me to take the equipment that I needed. On examination, most of the equipment was outdated and in a very poor state of wear.

Eventually, when the owner appeared at 11am, I was given a BCD which was wet and full of seawater. When quizzed on this, he told me that the people he'd dived with the day before had been "idiots" and when he'd returned from the dive in a really bad temper and "had just thrown the equipment into the shed and locked the door".
As there are NO DIVE BOATS at Greenwood Resort and there is no house reef, I was asked to dive with the owners friend 'Bob' on his fishing boat. Bob, an American in his sixties, told me that there wasn' much marine life on the reef and that the local reefs had been damaged by the hurricane. The dive was short and uneventful with very little to see. The air quality of Greenwood's tanks was nasty too. Very disappointing.

After the dive I saw the owner hosing down the BCD and regulator with a hose-pipe rather than submerging them in a rinse tank (which incredibly they don't have!), raising questions on the hygiene of the diving equipment and explaining it's sorry state.

On Greenwood's website they advertise "modern scuba equipment" and "2 fast dive boats", both of which are blatant lies.

There is absolutely no coverage of mobile phone networks from the resort (contrary to other areas of the island) and the internet connection, which is painfully slow at the best of times, comes and goes (the latter for most of the time).

I wouldn't recommend this resort to anyone and have written this review in the hope that it might help others avoid the disappointment that I've recently experienced.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
27  Thank Mark F
Reviewed 28 February 2012

If you,ve had enough of the typical all inclusive resorts...this family run quaint resort is a breath of fresh air. The 8 miles of untouched pink sand beach is truly amazing. Crystal clear water, great food, the people we met, and very hospitable hosts made this vacation one of our best. Our hosts Anna, Waldermar, and Florian did everything possible to make our stay the best it could be. If you like a perfect beach where you can find your own private mile or more, if you want time to read, love to snorkle, and want to get away from it all...go there. Don't expect the normal resort experience, but do expect a casual relaxing vacation. The location is remote, but that is part if Greenwood's charm.
Every Bahamian we met was charming, from Greenwood's staff to the taxi driver, Andrew who drove us to Greenwood.
This is not a 4 or 5 star resort by most people's demands, but was our pice of heaven for the week we were there!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Goldkniy
Reviewed 28 January 2012

had a wonderful stay at this family run hotel resort. Anna and Waldermar excellent hosts. Remy Martin, one of their 3 dogs, was our guard dog during those sublime walks on the long stretch of beach with pinkish powdery sand. nothing better than the soothing sound of waves lullabying a long sleep into the night on their comfy bed - just the right support, not too hard nor too soft. it took a while to get use to no internet access in my room, but learned to enjoy serenity without temptations from the outside world. i will go back again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank fishtailsoup
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Visit if you like any of the following: pink sand beaches without anyone else around, easy access to snorkeling, scuba, sea kayaking, ocean swimming, sun bathing, fishing, diving for conche, watching rays swim along the beach, relaxing, or experiencing how the locals live.

Know before you go:
this is a small remote island, not a ritzy tourist destination. It's the real deal.
Airport is the size of a tool shed...but that's all you need, somewhere to check in and use a restroom.
Greenwood did imply transportation was included but that just meant the arrangements were made for you, not that the cost was included in your Greenwood bill. Our taxi driver was very friendly and more than willing to stop (at no extra charge) anywhere we wanted to on the way to Greenwood (we stopped for some snacks & beverages to keep in our room).

The owners have 2 adult sons that often work at the resort in addition to "interns" (often from Germany) who get college credit etc for working there. The 1 son, Florian, and the 1 male intern, Claus, were both charming and very helpful. Claus and the 2 female interns took us to a beach on a different part of the island for snorkeling and it was amazing. 1 of the girls even held my hand when I need a little help swimming/snorkeling while pregnant! Claus also took us to see The Hermitage and enjoyed hiking around it with us.

You can walk out of your room, onto the beach, put on your snorkel gear and walk into the water to see coral, octapus, fish, sea snakes (well that's what I called the thing I saw...not sure what it really was). We literally did not see another person while walking along the pink sand beach the resort is on (each day of our visit). The bay at the far end (I believe to the south) was worth the extra effort to find. So beautiful. The weather was perfect the entire time. We were there in mid January. Yes, there is "sea trash" along the beach but it's nothing to worry about. Due to the location of the island this stuff just happens to get washed ashore and ends up where the land/grass meet the beach...not all-over the beach like where you'd be walking/sun bathing etc. It's mostly buoys, boots, hats, and random plastic stuff (nothing gross).

The food was a neat mix of Bahamian and German. And if they were serving something you weren't fond of you could simply ask for something else and they'd happily provide for you. I had to do this twice, only because I don't enjoy eating fish. You have the option of eating at your own table or meeting the other guests by sharing a table with them. There were only 3 other guests there when we went.

The rooms were clean and ours, facing the water, had a lovely balcony. We left the windows cracked open at night and enjoyed the sound of the waves. NOTE: if there is a day where there is no breeze at all, be sure to wear bug spray for the no-see'ems and keep your window closed so they don't come in your room. This only happend once when we were there...it was after dark on our last night.

We hope to return again soon.

Room Tip: Get a room with an ocean view. If you want A/C, be sure to request it when you reserve a room.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
The Ocean Dream Beach Resort
The Ocean Dream Beach Resort
#8 of 10 in Cat Island
Love At First Sight Hotel

Been to Greenwood Beach Resort? Share your experiences!