“Wonderful Getaway Spot”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Cat Island
Montreal, Canada
“Wonderful Getaway Spot”
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Greenwood is a little gem of a resort on an idyllic island. It offers great value for anyone who wants peace and quiet in a beautiful setting. The resort is small, friendly, and on one of the most beautiful and secluded beach I have seen. . . and I have seen a lot of beaches.
The rooms are comfortable, including the bed, very livable, and basic. In the rooms there is no TV, no mini-bar, and no internet. (There is internet access in the main areas). My room was cleaned daily, including washing the floors and making the bed. During the warm months, ask for an air conditioned room. These also have an ocean view. About half the rooms have a/c, and all of them have a ceiling fan. Greenwood is the only resort on Cat Island situated on the Atlantic side, and an ocean breeze blows most days and nights.
The food and service are also excellent. The food is very good, but not varied. Virtually all guests take one version of the meal plan. You can choose breakfast, lunch, dinner, or any combination, and you can decide daily. Just tell the owner the day before. Each day one evening meal is prepared. It includes an appetizer, soup, salad, a main course, and dessert. You will not go hungry. You will know during the day or the day before what the main dish will be, and if you want something else the staff can accomodate you. At dinner, you can eat alone, or with any number of guests, or with the owners and sometimes the staff.
The bar is on the honour system. Prices are a little high, but it is very convenient. There were two red wines, one white wine, lots of hard liquor and beer. (Kalik is the local brand).
Service is personal and attentive. I felt like a part of a large family that included guests, the owners, and staff people. I made many friends while I was there.
Cat Island has lots of history dating back to cotton plantations and slave labour. I rented a car for two days and visited all I wanted to see from North to South, plus I discovered places and people who provided a good sense of life on the island. The owner invited me to join him with another fellow on a visit to the Hunter Plantation ruins. After a short walk through the bush, the site was a mind expanding experience. The Hermitage, built by a priest on the Bahamas' highest point, (206 feet), is also worth a visit. I suggest you read about it first at the resort.
I stopped and met several local folks who had stories and suggestions for visiting. I met Robina, a great-grandmother who was weeding her garden with a machete. She was full of stories. Fascinating lady.
I summary. I originally booked 10 days at Greenwood, but after 9 days I called the airlines and stayed an extra week. It was well worth it. Don't go to Greenwood looking for a big all-inclusive resort with lots of meal choices, never-ending food and alcohol, and entertainment daily. If you want comfortable lodging, good food, and time to get away from your daily grind, you will not find a better spot. I plan to be back at Greenwood for a longer time next year.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank JPBrunet

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Simsbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Let me first qualify my rating as this is not a 5 star resort as it sets the wrong expectation. This is a great kind of funky resort in a a very relaxed low key location. This is not Nassau - no nightclubs, casinos, or high end restaurants. It's all about beautiful beaches, great snorkling, the best sail and deep sea fishing charters, scuba, and making friends. Cat Island is the friendliest island in the Caribbean and Greenwood is no different. Locals often gather in the lounge in the evening for a little bit of music or a bonfire on the beach. The beaches are pink or white sand for miles in either direction. I stayed in Port Howe about 3 miles away and visited Greenwood almost every day for the month of November 2012. I often ate at the hotel and became friends with the staff and residents of the resort almost instantly. If you get tired of the food (or want a taste of the local fare) stop at Daisy Mae's roadside in Port Howe for the best BBQ or fried chicken ever or some grouper, conch fritters or cracked conch ( the best) on the way to the best snorkling in the Caribbean or go into New Bight center and eat at the beach stands for the best cracked conch or conch salad. If you are looking for a 5 star resort with all the frills - don't go here. This is not that kind of island or resort. If you are looking for sun and fun, water sports, a quiet walk on the beach and a great opportunity to make friends that last a lifetime not only will you enjoy yourself, you will go back again and again and will look at Greenwood as your little resort in the Bahamas.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank John0903
Clinton, Ohio
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We just got back from 4 nights at the Greenwood Inn. The Inn is run by Anna & Waldamer (excuse spelling if incorrect) a very nice German couple, who know the island and everyone on it very well. They were very welcoming, helpful and knowledgable. Cat Island in general is not the place for those who want every convienence and nightlife. This is an island made to enjoy the water, sand, people and experinces they bring. The rooms are basic, but have what you need. The pool very refeshing, the beach beautiful. If you need anything from a car to diving equipment, ask your hosts, they will arrange it.

We rented a car for a couple of days and at Waldamer's directions enjoyed some of the other "resorts" on the island. We particullarly enjoyed our drive to Shanna's cove and lunch there. We walked up to the "hightest point in the Bahamas" and took a look at the Hermitage and stopped by Fernadez Bay. The next day he recommended some shelling beaches and we stopped and picked up sponges off the shore, coral and shells and splashed about for a while. We went to Hawk's Nest, which is a ride in itself down that unpaved road.

I made a mistake and did not let them know in advance that my husband and I cannot eat any seafood and they did their best to accommodate us, which I really appreciate. My bother-in-law and his girlfriend were in heaven with the different fish dishes served every night, prepared by locals, who sure knew how to cook it. They had a mini-fridge in their room and we had bought some Kaliks, ginger ale and coke for our island traveling. I brought a hot and cold bag and we loaded it up to take in the car or when we went to the beach. We bought Jim Beam and Rum in the duty free shop in Ft. Lauderdale. We also bought drinks at the bar at the inn. It is an honor system. The prices are listed and you just write down what you take and they add it up at the end of your trip and then you pay the bill.

Just for those who may be on a budget. Ice is at a premium around the island-$5.00 a bag. Food and drink is expensive compared to US, but figure they have to have everything shipped in. Our understanding was the supply boat comes once a week and the same with the fuel boat. I think a Kalik even at the market was $2 or $3.00 per bottle.

If you don't like dogs this also may not be your place. We loved them and I wish I could have stolen "Naughty" and she is correctly named because she is naughty, but adorable. She slept outside our door many a night and joined us on the beach and in the surf every day.

Every night they serve an appetizer and guests sort of gather and it is nice to talk with and meet some of the other guests. When we were there 5 young marine biologists were there tagging white tip sharks, 3 people who came over by boat from Boca Raton, Fl, a group of fishermen who had flown in on a private plane, a retired German couple and a couple from the west coast of Florida. We all enjoyed some lively conversations and played some games.

All in all in was just the kind of vacation we had hoped for, restful, time to visit with one another and beautiful beaches with beautiful water.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Valerie E
USA
Reviewed 9 May 2012

At Greenwood you're paying for a magnificent secluded beach - where the only decision you need to make is which direction to walk because it goes on for miles in both directions. Yes, you can arrange for diving or fishing, but the real draw is the beach and a lovely lodge which facilitates conversation among the guests (many of whom return year after year). There are wonderful places all around the property to sit and relax in, with shade when you want it. We arrived on April 28 in a huge rainstorm, which continued the following day. Honestly, we were wondering whether to leave because the forecast was for a "much needed" week of rain. But then the sun came out, and all was forgiven. I can see how people can either really like this place or hate it - as other reviewers have said, it's not for everyone. But it was just right for us - we don't like to pay for extras that aren't important to us. We just want a reasonably comfortable and clean place, with nice guests and hosts, and with easy access to a fantastic beach. That's what we got ... and more.
Some details: There's nothing electronic in the bedrooms, such as tvs, internet access or even clocks - but there are plenty of outlets to charge your phone or whatever.
There is internet access at the lodge, on the porches, and in the lovely courtyard area. It can be spotty.
The food is really good - more basic than gourmet, but delicious nonetheless. It's on the expensive side - the meal plan for two (breakfast/dinner daily) costs as much or even more than the daily room rate.
We took advantage of a special promotion which offered free flights from Nassau to the Outer Islands - this made the trip a really good value. Check out Bahamas.com for specials when planning your trip.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank boxford
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I visited The Greenwood Beach Resort from April 5 - 15, 2012 and had a lovely time. The resort is run by Waldemar and Anna Illing and they provided me with everything I could possibly need and much, much more. If you are looking for a quiet place to walk the beach, read, rest, enjoy the sun and enjoy great food and atmosphere then this is the place for you! I never had the same meal once, in the 10 days that I was there. The homemade soups are incredible and I especially liked Anna's cabbage soup. The conch was also delicious.

The Illings have 3 dogs and a cat who were my constant companions. Anytime I wanted company when I walked the beach, one of the dogs would come with me. The ocean is quite warm this time of year and I swam and sunbathed every single day.

The rooms are neat and clean. Beds were the most comfortable I have slept on ever in a resort. The staff made a point of remembering my name and I felt very much at home. I absolutely cannot wait to go back. This is the ideal place for either the solo traveler or someone who wants to get away from everything. 5 stars!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank lauralk1p2
Bath, ME
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is a great value spot in the Bahamas. Everything as clean and hosts as accommodating as possible. Both times I arrived somewhat handicapped with bad knees. Last year was right after being discharged from rehab following a knee replacement. We selected the resort as a place to recuperate with few steps and snorkeling on site. We stayed just over 2 weeks both times. This year's visit was just prior to getting the second knee replaced. I arrived with and used a walker everywhere including on the beach and out into the water. Everyone was thoughtful and helpful and I went into surgery relaxed and healthy. We love the beach and the laid-back quality and meeting other people of similar tastes. We'll be back, totally healthy next year!

Room Tip: We find the non-ac rooms a good value. We don't mind the birds early in the morning and like the...