“unbelievable location”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Cat Island
Bonita Springs, Florida
“unbelievable location”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Now the Greenwood rooms are like a motel from the 70's BUT they are clean and neat and the staff does a good job cleaning.

What makes this location outstanding is its location. The beach is magnificent! You can go down to beach which is a 2 minute walk from any room turn right or left and walk for an hour or so and you are alone!

It is a wonderful place for relaxation. If you like sitting and reading on the beach and not looking for all sorts of activities this place is great!

The restaurant is family type food and very good.

If you are looking for extreme relaxation this could be for you.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Tomapa

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 July 2014

this place is so charming! It's run by a German family, and its very cosy,rustic and groovy and just really fun! Its far away from the hustle and bustle of downtown but it had one on the most beautiful beaches! This place is not a 4 star place if that is what you are looking for but its truly very Bahamian! The dinners are authentic Bahamian peas and rice and conch fritters sort of stuff! the kitchen staff is wonderful! the internet is dicy but its a great place to truly escape from it all! They have an honor bar and its decorated adorably! Each room is corky and different from the next and It may or may not have air conditioning…

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Farley R
Saint Charles, Illinois
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

This resort reminds you of how resorts where 30 years ago. Kind of funky and laid back. Help yourself to the honor bar and just hang out. Internet is almost nonexistent so you need to be able to disconnect. Food was good and they went out of their way to accommodate special requests.

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Jeff B
pittsburgh pa
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We gave stated at Greenwood three years ago, and besides having money taken from our rooms while away we still enjoyed our vacation there. The owners were very kind and understanding and were very sorry that it happened to us and still continued to make us feel welcome. While this did happen it still was a great vacation and we left there wanting and willing to return as soon as possible. We saved and waited three years to come back. Had an illness in family and was unable to return sooner. When we arrived, we noticed the previous owners were not there but a man named Tim, who I had recently had contact with before arriving. When we arrived we were greeted, but it was not as warm and as friendly as before. Tim did not greet us as first but a young man did. He did not introduce himself and proceeded to show us to our rooms. He did smile but was very short and did not make us feel welcome. This was the beginning of a nightmare. So many things were different and I did not feel as welcomed here as last time. I didn't see much of Tim while there, and when we did he was rude and short. I went to my room on the second day to get some cash to tip the cab driver. He was nice to return a missing bag that had been left at the airport. When I went to the room to get my cash I noticed my money was missing from my wallet. I remained calm and walked to the office to allow them to know what was going on. I told the Tim who was at the office that day that I had 150 in my wallet and I could not find it. I told him calmly and was not angry. He began screaming and yelling. He did this a lot after that. After feeling afraid, I went back to my room to look everywhere I could. I eventually found the money behind the bed stuck between the bed and the wall. I had been cleaning out my purse the night before and I folded the cash small and hid it in my purse. Feeling afraid of being robbed again while out. I returned to the office to apologize and explain myself to him. I told him I made a mistake and I was sorry that I brought it up, but I guess I just thought that because it happened before. I did feel bad. He was very unprofessional and screamed and walked away. After this, we were not treated the same. I gave 50 a piece to each person who cleaned my room. I felt bad that he was screaming at them and behaving the way he did. I have never seen someone act in such a way. He gave us a portion of the money back that we had payed and asked us to leave. We were devastated. So much more happened but if I get into it, it may take all day. I will never come back to this resort. We ended up staying at Sammy T's. After loosing money and paying 100 for a cab ride. They made us feel welcome and were kind. I have never been treated in such a way. He should be ashamed of the way he acted and learn to control his temper in front of guests. I was not blaming anyone for taking my money. I was scared that it was happening to me again, and I guess I over reacted. I never treated him with disrespect or unkindness and I expected him to speak to me in a professional manner. I do not think this resort will continue to do well unless the management changes how they act toward customers. Never going back here again. It was not until I got to Sammy T's that I saw just how poorly the rooms at Greenwood where. I will miss Greenwood, but I will never ever pay to be treated like that again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Haley G
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Greenwood Beach Resort is the perfect place to get away from everything and relax. This was my second stay at the resort and I would not consider staying anywhere else on Cat Island.

The resort is in the middle of 8 miles of the most beautiful pink sand beach you will ever see. There are coral reefs just off the beach, perfect for snorkeling. I walked the beach every day that I was there and swam in the ocean every single day. The water is crystal clear and warm.

The resort itself has everything you would ever need for a quiet, relaxing vacation. Food is delicious. Everyone there was kind and very helpful. The staff remembers your name and is always quick to assist with whatever you need, and always with a smile. Whether you want to go snorkeling, scuba diving or exploring the island - all you had to do was ask. A car rental was easily arranged for me for one day so that I could explore the island.

If you are looking for peace and quiet, with a lovely setting this is the place to go. And it is worth the effort to get up early in the morning to see the beautiful sunrise each day.

I had a lovely time and cannot wait to go back - hopefully soon.

Room Tip: Choose room 1 - 8 in order to have an ocean view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank lauralk1p2
Nassau, Bahamas
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Our group of 24 stopped here for lunch and a swim. We made reservations so they were aware of our arrival and happily greeted us. There is a beautiful pool, fresh water shower and fresh water pool. Plenty of shade and hammocks to relax in on the beach, deck and large open air dining room I hope to come back and stay the night.

Room Tip: It's always nice to let them know you are coming especially for a large group. They didn't h...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank dianedewit
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Nicest people. Best location. Best staff. This was my 2nd stay at Greenwood and it has not changed a bit since last time. The accommodations are fairly rustic. Highly recommend going with the A/C room. The pool is small but very nice. The bar at the clubhouse is welcoming and stocked with Kalik and liquors. The staff goes out of their way to make you feel at home. The cooks are fantastic, every evening the dinners were truly amazing. There are very nice reefs to snorkel right in front of the clubhouse, but if you go a little to the left or right you can find many more reefs filled with lobster, grouper, shad, margaretfish, goatfish, blue runner jacks, boxfish, schoolmaster, yt snapper, triggerfish, palometa, eagle rays, etc. If you catch your own fish on a hawaiian spear, you can ask them to fry it up for you to have for lunch or dinner. The Scuba hut is small but equipped well enough to handle most needs. If you want to get away from it all, this is the place to do it. they will rent you a truck for the day for a reasonable price so you can explore the island. Local must-do attractions include exploring the Hermitage and eating at Duke's conch salad stand.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Orange Creek Inn
Orange Creek Inn
#7 of 10 in Cat Island
Love At First Sight Hotel

Been to Greenwood Beach Resort? Share your experiences!