“Wedding in Paradise”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Cat Island
St. Augustine, Florida
“Wedding in Paradise”
Reviewed 4 January 2012

My husband and I had been childhood sweethearts who lost track of each other for over 30 years. When we were blessed with rediscovering each other, we wanted a very special place to celebrate our wedding. Both of us love the ocean and wanted a beach wedding. When we discovered Pigeon Cay, it looked wonderful in the listing -----and in real life----it turned out to be beyond all our dreams. Leslie made all the arrangements for our wedding prior to our arrival on the island. Leslie was in contact with me for months discussing and planning---and developed into a dear friend. Leslie made my bouquet from fresh island flowers which also decorated the lovely and delicious cake she baked. Ned built a beautiful altar of palm fronds and bougainvillea for our wedding. Ned's sense of humor is delightful and he is an amazing chef. All our meals were wonderful, but he outdid himself with the steak and lobster dinner he prepared and then served in our cottage for our wedding dinner. Yes, there are bugs twice a day---but it is the islands! I liked the description of bites as "Cat Island Kisses". A few bites were well worth our time in paradise! The natives are so friendly and helpful. You feel like family wherever you go and never feel like a tourist. The Rake and Scrape band at Da Smoke Pot is not to be missed and Julien the bartender and band member is an absolute delight! We wanted a private, romantic spot and Pigeon Cay was perfect. Our cottage was steps from the beach and despite it being July, we only used the air conditioning two nights because of the ocean breeze and since my husband never sleeps without the air conditioning set at a level that requires me to have a blanket at home--you can see how comfortable we were. The water is beyond description. Perfect temperature and crystal clear! There is great snorkeling just a short bike ride away and Ned can direct you to many other places on the island. The reefs and their fish, coral, and plants are not to be missed. My husband found three conch shells for us on one of our snorkeling trips. The sand varies in texture and color along the coasts of Cat Island from fine white to a relatively coarse soft brown. The sand on the beach at Pigeon Cay is a gorgeous soft pink and so soft and fine that it truly can 'sugar' your skin which Bahamas tourism so proudly proclaims. We didn't find anything like it elsewhere on the island! We loved that the island was "old Bahamas" and not touristy. The decor in all the cottages is eclectic island style. Each one has its own distinct personality. Our cottage was lovely and a perfect oasis for us!! It was kept immaculate throughout our stay without us ever seeing the staff clean. Ned and Leslie are available to assist in any manner. We loved sitting on our porch secluded by beautiful island plants while relaxing, drinking in the gorgeous ocean view, and listening to the waves.Ned and Leslie know how to make their guests feel totally spoiled and well-taken care of without hovering or intruding. The Tiki bar was a great place to relax and mingle with other guests. It is a perfect romantic spot and was absolutely perfect for our wedding! Neither of us wanted to leave and we plan to return as often as possible in the coming years.

Room Tip: All the cottages are privately placed. They all have amazing direct ocean views.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AngeleteD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Nassau, New Providence Island
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Ever want to just get away from it all.. Living in Nassau can be heckling and at times one longs to escape to the peace and quite of the Family Islands of the Bahamas.. One such island is Cat Island, and the Pigeon Cay Beach Club is the perfect escape to where time has laid its hand.. Pigeon Cay is what the Bahama islands used to be like many years ago where hospitality, friendliness and natural beauty were the order of the day..
Easy to get to, Sky Bahamas has daily flights from Nassau to Arthur's Town and Omar's taxi service will meet you and take you on a colorful ride directly to the Pigeon Cay Beach Club.. Upon arrival you will receive a warm welcome by Leslie and Ned the proprietors as you are shown to your cottage.. Ours was just wonderful, the Garden View Cottage, with a large living and dinning room, amply kitchen and a most comfortable bedroom and bathroom.. Everything was spick and span and was what you would want your own private getaway to be like.. Soon we were on the beach and enjoying the calm, aqua-blue waters of the Exuma Sound which was just delightful..That evening we enjoyed a wonderful lobster dinner served in our cottage dinning room by the friendly but attentive staff..
The next day, after a home cooked breakfast, we joined with another couple and Omar took us on a tour of what to see and do on Cat Island.. From the Hermitage to the ruins of loyalist great houses it was a great experience.. Every where we went Cat Islanders were friendly and greeted us with a smile.. Dinner that evening was served at the Palapa Beach Bar and was delicious, island-style cooking at its very best.. We soon settled in to a night of peace and quiet.. Before we left Pigeon Cay we visited the office/gift shop and purchased a native straw woven mat which will fit perfectly into the decor back in Nassau..
The Pigeon Cay Beach Club was just what we were looking for as a quick escape from the madness of Nassau.. For true rest and serenity in a home-like atmosphere, Pigeon Cay can not be beat.. We could not wish for anything more from this littler piece of paradise on Cat Island and look forward to returning soon..

Room Tip: The Garden View cottage was ideal and right on the sea.. When we next return that well be our first...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Bahamastradewinds
Nashville, Tn.
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My wife and I stayed a week at Pigeon Cay in November, 2011. Great place. Awesome food. Beautiful beach, power soft sand, turquoise water. Just beautiful. We didn't see anybody else on the beach all week. Ned and Leslie are the best. This is the place to relax and chill. I'll definately go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in a 2 bedroom/2 bath.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DeanNashville_Tn_
Reviewed 26 June 2011

After months of deciding where to spend my 50th birthday, we can say happily,we made a great choice of Pigeon Cay Beach Club,Cat Island Bahamas! Ned, Leslie & staff were great. Any questions, they are there for you-just ask. My husband asked Leslie if a surprise birthday cake would be possible,that day she made it & brought down to our cottage herself, with beautiful island flowers on it. We loved our cottage, Causarina. I took a peek at all of them & were furnished very nice.Food was wonderful on meal plan- my hubby had fresh fish/conch every nite, which he loved! I'm a vegetarian, Ned never had an issue what to serve me. We both had more than enough on our plates. Very friendly resort, staff & island all around.You have to be open to flying on small plane to get there & open to lots of waving,smiling & a layed back attitude. We only took1 day to see rest of the island, for everything we needed was at PCBC! As Leslie recommended to see Miss Ella for my handmade hat, we did & will cherish her time & my hat forever. Any place we stopped, islanders were so very friendly. While we did research for June, had bug issues but expect it, its the islands. Ned taught me how to start a smoke pot & I was proud of my island lesson! These owners are most friendly layed back people I have met in all our travels, would highly recommend. If you want peace n quiet day and night...this is the place for you!! We loved our trip at Pigeon Cay Beach Club!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank deene22
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed 1 June 2011

This was a siblings, spouses, and old friends get-together for my brother's 60th birthday, at my brother's instigation - he and Pat had previously stayed here and praised it to the skies, deservedly! Pigeon Cay is a real old-fashioned beach hotel geared to outdoor living and a lazy lifestyle. Its wonderful hosts, Leslie and Ned, are ready to provide any requested guidance, and otherwise simply provide simple beach toys, charming accommodations, excellent food, and of course that glorious beach. We were free to explore, swim, fish, or simply veg out and read, and we did all of those things at will. It was soooo easy to slip into Bahamas time! One evening Leslie arranged a great dinner for our whole mob at Da Smoke Pot, featuring an after-dinner Rake & Scrape jam on the spacious porch. The band welcomed our participation, so the youngest member of the group (17) showed off her lovely voice on a couple of songs. I played spoons, which the band had never heard, so I had to teach a couple of the guys how to hold them. Maybe there'll be another folk instrument added to the Rake & Scrape inventory! I got home to New England in the wee small hours this morning, and found myself unable to fall asleep without the lullaby of the surf - foghorns just aren't the same.
I've just mentioned a few of the many activities, but don't want to neglect my duties as a reviewer, so here are some observations on the accommodations: the bed was comfortable, nicely "dressed," and piled with pillows - if anything, I could have used a place to stash the extras. Not a big deal, though. Spacious closet with 3 nice deep shelves on the side, and lots of hangers - yay! And a nice chest with 6 roomy drawers, all made of airy wicker to avoid any mustiness. Basic but very adequate kitchen. Lots of comfortable seating indoors and out on the lanai, as well as on the beach and by the tiki hut that is Pigeon Cay's honor bar and common gathering spot. The walkways have low solar lighting at night, very attractive and also necessary, since the coral rock is uneven and requires watching one's step. All major rooms have nice tropical ceiling fans. Sliding doors and windows have screens which do their best to keep the skeeters and no-see-ums out. That brings me to an important warning - the biters I just mentioned are active in early morning and from dusk until about 2 hours past sundown. Be prepared! The grocery/variety stores sell mosquito coils, which are spirals of punk that burn for hours after you light the end - they're effective, as is a smudge fire and smudge pots, which Ned deploys around the tiki hut in the evening. Citronella does not work, nor does a lot of the usual insect repellants we have Stateside. I had great results by spraying all of my clothing for the trip with a pyrethrin product made specifically for use on clothes and gear. I hung everything on hangers and let it dry, then packed it. Then I used Ultrathon cream on any exposed skin - just a light coating worked fine for me. Sun protection is a must, no matter how well you tan; so is a hat for mid-day meandering. The final caution: the water is cleaned by a reverse-osmosis process, and isn't to everyone's taste. Jugs of distilled water are available everywhere if you prefer it for drinking. But water in general is a precious commodity on a small island, so be a great guest and never take it for granted - conserve, conserve, conserve!

Room Tip: Talk to Leslie
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank kvarmint
Columbus, MS
Reviewed 14 April 2011

Beautiful white, powdery sand. Shallow, calm water, crystal clear.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Cincy
Reviewed 26 March 2011

Pigeon Cay Beach Club owners, Ned and Leslie were the perfect Host and Hostess. He is a true man for all seasons, repairing a rental Jeep with one hand while cleaning a lobster with the other. She juggles business and concierge duties while managing to give each guest top priority. Their level of caring is obvious, in the way they interact with their small staff and their love for their children. We enjoyed every moment sharing their pristine beach. Cat Island is a beautiful and innocent corner of the Caribbean. Each of the six cabins is beautiful and unique, wrought by the imagination and craftsmanship of the owners. We have travelled the world, and have never experienced cleaner sand or friendlier folks than Pigeon Cay. Crystal clear ocean and nearby snorkle reefs abound. The location offers sunrise and sunset views beyond compare. Food here is special, too. Fresh fish, conch, crays, fruits and veggies are prepared in many delicious ways. The seaside "Honor Bar" is a cozy thached cabana with ample Bahamian cold beverages, available 24 / 7. An inviting beach bonfire is a nightly attraction. Private and quiet, breezy and beautiful, Cat Island Pigeon Cay Beach Resort is not for everyone. Only those of us who prefer the ultimate luxury : simple perfection.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Love At First Sight Hotel
Greenwood Beach Resort
Greenwood Beach Resort
#4 of 10 in Cat Island

Been to Pigeon Cay Beach Club? Share your experiences!