“The perfect getaway”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cat Island
Shannas Cove Resort
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Cat Island
Reviewed 26 June 2012

My wife and I stayed at Shannas Cove for 7 days in June of 2012. We have a very pleasant week in the resort. Our room-sea horse- has less impressive view than the rest of the rooms and yet it is vey well. Although I am not a very big fun of beach, sun bathing and swimming, I could not resist the attraction of crystal clear water and white sand. Room service and cleanness are very good as well. I would like to emphasize the dinner. Each and every dinner plate is meticulously worked and tastes well. Taste is much better than my expectations as well as most of the restaurants with more convenient logistics. In the end, it is a memorable weekend for us, we will probably come back again.

P.S. If you are to fly from Europa I would recommend you to take flights from London to Nassau. Otherwise, in case of Miami connection, you may experience significant delays, especially in the storm season.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank erkanyay

Reviewed 18 June 2012

My wife and I visited Shannas Cove at the end of May. While I am a person that appreciates things and places easily, I don't necessarily impress that easy. I have to say that I was extremely impressed. Everything you read in their great reviews is absolutely true. Gabi, Frank, and their staff make you feel like true friends. We have been gone now almost a month and I still miss the place. I have never relaxed as much as I did on this trip and I still never got through the book I brought to read. I also need to mention the other four great couples that were staying here at the same time as us as they helped to make this an even better vacation. They were so friendly and fun to talk with at the end of the day. Mary and I definitely will be back. Thank you Gabi and Frank for such a memorable trip.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Bill M
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Visited for first time in April on an anniversary trip, and still talking about it! The reviews are on target and we can't say enough great things about our trip.
Frank and Gabi will do everything in their power to guarantee a good time, the food (and drink) is great and the beaches are secluded and breathtaking. The cottages are extremely well maintained and comfortable, with great views from the porch and a very short walk to the beach. Take the trail from Shanna's to Man-O-War beach, and you'll never forget the beach there - a feeling of complete solitude with water so blue that it's beyond description. Although at Shanna's for only four nights, it was the rare vacation where we lost track of time and dates but didn't care. Frank and Gabi have created an atmosphere where it's easy to meet other guests from all over the world (we made friends that we hope to see again), but also a place where you can be alone if you so desire.
Frank and Gabi took us to an off-premises dinner one night at Da Smoke Pot, where Julian and company provided a great meal and even better time. Just an example of the hospitality of our hosts, and the friendliness of everyone encountered on Cat Island during our stay.
In sum, you can be as active or as laid back here as you choose, absolutely no worries! We are counting the days to our next trip(s) to Shanna's Cove...

8  Thank TMACMemphis
Reviewed 10 June 2012

My husband and I visited Shannas Cove November of 2011 for my Birthday and our Anniversary. I would not have wanted it any other way. I would live here if I could. They are the most accommodating people I have ever met. Frank & Gabi (and the rest of the staff) were amazing. So incredibly friendly, they make you feel like you are at home. And the dinner was honestly the best food I've ever had. Every aspect of this place was absolutely amazing and perfect. I truly never thought a place like this could exist. Nor did I ever think I would give 5 stars to a place that has only ever been given 5 stars. I could never put into words how amazing this place is, besides saying 'amazing' a million times in one review. ;)

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CaseyATX
Reviewed 1 June 2012

This April saw our second visit to Shannas Cove; from the day we left
last August we knew we were going to return!

As the plane landed in Arthur’s Town we felt an overwhelming sense of
calm, as if we were arriving home. I hadn’t quite anticipated how different our stay would be this time, particularly considering both the weather and the people, but, oh boy, it was!

We were greeted by Gabi and taken straight to Grammy’s for a Kalik; a must have, even if you are on the early flight! The view is just divine and she is a real character.

We arrived at Shannas and were shown to our room. We actually stayed in the same room as last year, Lizard, and found it to be as clean and well-kept as ever. We prefer this room to others as you are off the pathway down to the beach, so have more privacy. Gabi’s design ideas are so simple but effective, creating a comfortable home for your stay. The views from the balcony are idyllic. Never have I seen such white sands and the blues in the sea are jaw dropping.

Over our stay, the biggest difference had to be the weather. In April it is a lot less humid and there was a welcome breeze. Now, I am a true sun worshipper, but these changes meant we were so much more active! We trekked through the bush to Man-O-War beach three times, some days stopping off at the other beach that is sign posted on the way. Another day we walked all the way to the point at Port Royal. Each time we were accompanied only by the varied wildlife (lizards, crabs, barracuda, sting ray, ospreys) and never by another person. Where else in the world can you find that? If you ask in the morning, Tara or Marley will pack you up a sandwich and lend you a cool box, meaning you can really spend the day out.

On other days, we lazed on the beach or, on the one rainy day, we sat at the bar playing cards and Yahtzee with a glass of something cold – bliss! We also took a trip over to the North shore, otherwise known as the shell beach, and took a leisurely stroll, combing for treasures and the gorgeous conch shells. It is great to experience the Atlantic side, such a stark contrast to the Caribbean shore. There is no charge for these trips; Frank and Gabi merely mention it in the morning to see who is interested and off you go! This is a real sign of what the pace of life is like at Shannas Cove.

We are real food lovers and we weren’t disappointed this time either! Each meal was delicious, with thanks to Patrick. Each course was so varied and always tailored to any particular needs you may have!

And then there were the people… Gabi and Frank continue to be such wonderful hosts, always so aware of what you want from your time with them. That maybe to be left to your own devices, with expert guidance from them, or to be entertained… we enjoy the latter, and luckily so did the guests who were staying at Shannas at the same time! Our visit to Da’ Smoke Pot was a must, and we were amazed to be remembered by the lovely Julian. The local Rake ‘n’ Scrape music and culinary delights makes a great evening out and I guarantee that you will meet some interesting people!

This review is less detailed than my last - look back at the one I wrote last year to read more of our experiences at Shannas Cove. Just know that what you have potentially found is a one off, a true piece of paradise that you will be blessed to visit. We are going back…

3  Thank loulamac
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I booked this visit for our anniversary based on the fact that I've never seen perfect scores given to ANY place on TripAdvisor.com.
The whole experience, from the laid-back booking, to the actual reality, was the most sublime vacation we have ever had!
It is the romantic dream come true - miles of white sand beaches, turquoise, crystal clear water, incredible fresh food, truly made to order, and just enough congenial company.
The hosts, Frank and Gabi, are incredible -- these are truly genuine, happy, highly intelligent people who want to make your experience perfect. It works! Their attention to detail shows in everything. Both were very successful in their careers in Germany, and they bring that same high standard to their dream - Shannas Cove.
We stayed a week and are looking forward to returning.
This is a place to unwind and relax. Each cottage is perfectly situated. But, no phone or internet in the rooms -- not even a clock. Perfect! There is a TV which gets the main channels. If you want Internet access, you can go to the restaurant/hang-out area. Each cottage has a great view of the secluded beach.
Although all the five cottages were fully booked, you rarely saw other guests. On the beach, there is so much room, that another person or two are hardly noticed. It is really only at meals that you get together in the wonderful restaurant/bar/deck.
And the guests were all so compatible, it was lovely. Guests ranged from young (honeymooners) to old (us, celebrating our 40th anniversary). A mix from the UK, German, and US.
Activities: Once during the week, Frank took us to a local spot for dinner - delicious food and 'rake and scrape' local music. Again, totally laid back and enjoyable. One afternoon, Gabi took us to a remote beach that was full of conch shells for gathering. Frank takes guests out on diving expeditions. We are not divers, so we did not experience that. Maybe next time!
There are kayaks for use on the beach, a wonderful nature trail right next to Shannas Cove, which takes you to a huge deserted beach, much like a dream. Frank will also organize massages for you. So, there are things to do there, but the main order of business is: full relaxation!
And, as one guest pointed out, no canned music polluting the air. Frank and Gabi will play music at the restaurant (and will load your iPod playlist, upon request), but out on the beach and around the place, it is blissfully quiet.
Facilities: perfect; bathrooms are updated with a walk in shower. Beds very comfortable, minimal furnishings. Each has a deck with an amazing view.
Food: incredible dishes each day. Gabi runs the kitchen and produces fresh meals (two choices at dinner) with the best ingredients. Freshly made bread and pizza. The fruit and salads are all extremely fresh, and very tasty. This is not grocery-store produce. Each dinner was superb, with a first course, entree, and dessert.
Summary:
This is NOT the place to go if you have to be busy all the time, or you want to party all day/night.
This is the dream vacation spot to go 'off the grid' for a while.
TRUE BLISS. IT'S PERFECT. NO KIDDING.
We're coming back - soon!

Room Tip: Every bungalow seems to be perfect. We actually had the first one, highest and farthest from the be...