“Back Again, Still The Best”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cat Island
Shannas Cove Resort
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Cat Island
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is our 2nd stay and to think of anything negative…I can’t…everything was excellent! The accommodations, the service, the people, and the food, Excellent. Well the food, it was some of the best we have experienced. Frank and Gabi have this wonderful Chef, Andrea. She is a wonderful girl that has a natural talent when it comes to cooking. I told Frank never to let her go!. I have to mention all the staff by name, because it was just like being home with the way we were served and the personal attention we received. Tara, Antelyse, Vanessa, Raquel Molly and Shanaya. I apologize if I forgot anyone. Oh and we cannot forget our wonderful “greeter” Tia, Frank and Gabi’s dog. Every day she would be with one of the guest, whether walking on the beach or just sitting on our porch or at the restaurant.
The Beach is absolutely beautiful, clear, warm and calm. The sun sets are spectacular, setting down behind a hill, but also reflecting in the water. Very peaceful and relaxing.
We already scheduled our next stay with Frank because if you want to truly relax, eat very well and just enjoy a beautiful peaceful ocean this is the place to be.
Thank you Frank, Gabi and all the great staff for a wonderful week. “We’ll Be Back”!

Room Tip: Every Room is Good. All ocean front
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Shannas Cove Resort

Reviewed 15 May 2014

This time 6 days, not 3, nothing changed and we cannot wait to return in January. I can only say dido our last review, and Frank was solo and did a great job holding down the fort. Nothing changed five star food and accommodations.
Found some new beaches and visited Da Smoking Pot for some off property good food and entertainment.

Flight over was a breeze left out of Stuart Fla. (KSUA) 1.2 in an SR22 cleared customs in Bight (MYCB) then hoped over to Arthurs Town (MYCB) .2 and departed through North Eluethera (MYEH) and pick up some fuel.

Room Tip: All rooms generally equal.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Not a whole lot to repeat as past reviewers have stated much of what exists and what to expect. Shanna’s does indeed have a prime spot, situated on a hill with a beautiful look out to the bay/cove in the back. We were in the “Parrot” Bungalow which really does offer the most privacy, although privacy in general is not an issue whatsoever. Rooms are spacious enough, A/C was more than sufficient. Bedding(s) could be a little more comfy but I’m not complaining in the slightest 0: ) I also found the bathroom/shower to be beautifully designed & furnished! I would offer the opinion that if you are physically disabled or have a physical handicap the path leading from the main house & bungalows down to beach is uneven & steep in some places, and might not be ideal for any persons with such issues (not an issue for us but did see a fellow, older guest struggle in regards to traversing the path).

Everyone raves about the food but in all honestly I struggled somewhat with the options & routine. Breakfast is fine as are lunches, but dinner is decided upon the night before & fixed. .. and a rather late affair typically serving well past 8pm. Really, I am just a PICKY eater and a lot of the options didn’t appeal to me (sorry I am just not a “foodie” by any means). And although I can appreciate Gabi taking pride in the cuisine side of things, it seems she may take some offense to someone not being thrilled about the options. And after 8 days the repetitive options kinda wore me down. It was definitely nice to get out on the island and eat different things from local food spots or other resorts.

Frank, Gabi and especially the staff in the restaurant/main house.. Rado, Molly & I want to say Tara ? (I actually typed up a thorough review months ago & it’s since been lost & can’t be found for anything! so forgive me if I don’t recall correctly but you guys were great!) are really great & hard working people. Gabi can give off the “cold vibe”, and seemed downright unfriendly sometimes (I was told that’s just the “German demeanor” but I can’t whole-heartedly buy that 0: ) ), but eventually she seemed to come around, and come our departure day I had developed a fondness for her & parting ways was difficult. I ain’t mad@cha Gabi, we love you!

In general Cat Island is a “DYI” (do it yourself) type of location. There aren’t really any planned or group excursions to be found on Cat other than some fishing or diving which can be arranged by Frank. Depending on which days you’re there you might be able to go out shell collecting with Gabi along a conch, and flotsam & jetsam strewn beach, but in all honestly wasn’t that fun of a thing to do for me personally (not into shells & can’t really swim at that beach). Frank said they offered snorkeling trips from Shanna’s but that was never mentioned once there nor offered. I do believe they have snorkel gear to use (we bring our own) if you prefer to skip having to bring that kind of luggage. Kayaks are free & fun to use to explore, just be sure to keep yourself as best protected from the sun as possible, venture out with liquids & snacks, and STAY HYDRATED! Hiking to Man O’ War via the trail which begins at Shanna’s is a huge convenience.. be sure to use a good stick from the pile at the entrance. Frank can also arrange a vehicle to rent, which you can conveniently hop in & return to right at Shanna’s.

The very best thing about Shanna’s. . the people. The fellow, like-minded adventurous Out Island travelers! We met so many awesome, fun & just COOL people there .. friends to be made from all over the world for sure.

In my heart of hearts I honestly wanted to give Shanna’s a 4 Star, but in the end it all came together, and they definitely have earned their 5 Star streak. Bummer about that one reviewer that just HAD to get in a seriously negative rating. Every other review is absolutely a truthful & honest indicator of Shanna’s sterling reputation. Please have no doubts or fear about booking/staying here, it’s a place you will remember for the rest of your life no doubt.

Many Sincere & Heartfelt thanks to Frank & Gabi. .. Happy & Safe travels all!

Room Tip: We felt Parrot's location was the best. Right in front, off of the path. Although all bungalow...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JayStarzZ
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My Wife and I just got back from our 3rd trip to Shannas Cove two days ago. If anybody is looking for an update on this place, I'm here to tell you it has not lost a step. Shannas Cove is as beautiful and wonderful as ever. Coming back and seeing Gabi, Frank, Tara, and Mally again was like coming home to family. There is also a new dog as of a week ago to add to the family. Tia. Everyone fell in love with her immediately. When you meet her, you will see just how special she is. Our room and the grounds were spotless as always. I am one that eats strictly because I am hungry but here I looked forward to dinner every night because the meals were so tasty. Bahama Mamas were the drink of choice for us for the week. Oh so good. My wife who very rarely has anything to drink enjoyed one or two every night, that's saying something. Before we came this year, I promised my wife that we would go back to Ireland next year as we have not been in 4 years but by the end of the week we knew we would miss Shannas Cove too much, so guess what, we are already booked again for 2015 and I'm counting the days. I told Frank he will be getting me through another long cold Maine winter with the prospect of returning. If you haven't been here before, one of the best trips you will ever take in your life would be to come to Shannas Cove. If you have already been here at least once, you know there is no better spot in the world. 356 days and counting.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bill M
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We were lucky enough to have 8 wonderful nights with Frank & Gabi at this amazing place. We won't repeat what other visitors have already commented on - only to say you can walk for miles on sandy beaches and probably not see any one else; the little bungalows are clean, comfy and roomy. We loved waking up in the morning and just sitting up and see the beach and the wonderful coloured sea. Food was excellent - the best food in our 6 weeks away from home - not just the preparation but the quality of the meat/fish, etc.
The staff are lovely - I cannot find our piece of paper with your names on - sorry - but thank you for looking after us so well and making us feel so welcome.
If you just want simplicity, peace, space, beauty and good food - you will not find better than Shannas Cove on Cat Island.

Room Tip: We had Parrot bungalow - wonderful clear views of the beach, sand and sea.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ashton246
Reviewed 24 April 2014

It was my privilege to spend a few nights at this wonderful little resort and restaurant. I went solo and wondered if I'd be lonely. Not a problem. Relaxed easy atmosphere. Beautiful beach. Some walking paths and "secret beaches".
The cottages are very nice. Well appointed and comfortable with a nice sea view porch.
Gabby and Frank, the owners, make this a place you want to come back to as soon as possible. The food is amazing and everyday you can't wait to hear "what's for dinner"!
I'll be back soon!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Judy S
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I went to Shannas Cove last May for the first time. We are going again in 2 weeks. I didn't want to write a review because I don't want everyone to know just how great this place is. I want it all to ourselves! The word is out, but hopefully we have pull now that we are repeat customers!

This place is truly a haven, an escape for adults who truly want to get away from it all and just relax, have fun and have no cares in the world. I'll never forget when we were taken into our bungalow for the first time, the view literally knocked the wind out of me. I was absolutely speechless. Frank and Gabi are the perfect hosts and pour their hearts into ensuring everyone is happy and cared for.

I've said enough. Please don't take our spot at Shannas Cove! We plan to make this a regular trip.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
The Ocean Dream Beach Resort
The Ocean Dream Beach Resort
#8 of 10 in Cat Island
Love At First Sight Hotel

Been to Shannas Cove Resort? Share your experiences!