“A Second - and even more wonderful - Stay in Paradise”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cat Island
Shannas Cove Resort
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Cat Island
Atlanta, Georgia
“A Second – and even more wonderful – Stay in Paradise”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We didn’t think it was possible to eclipse the wonderfully perfect experience we had during our stay at Shannas Cove last August, but much to our pleasant surprise, our second stay in this unique paradise was even better. Since we jumped at the chance to book our next visit while staying last August, we were able to enjoy a full seven nights. The extra days really do make a difference, so try to book very early (as they are perpetually booked!) so that you have the time to completely separate from the everyday world and its stress, relax, and get into the peaceful rhythm of the island and your own secret paradise. The reviews continue to be true, and Frank, Gabi, and their fantastic staff continue to excel in their service, care, professionalism, and heart – it seems that Shannas Cove and all of them just continue to get better with time.

We once again stayed in the Seahorse bungalow, closest to the main house with the restaurant yet still with beautiful views of the most perfectly crystal blue ocean and quiet privacy. The bungalow was once again appointed very well, and it was clear that the bungalows are very well taken care of during each season to ensure that the experience is one of quality and comfort. You truly can’t go wrong with any of the bungalows, and they are perfectly arranged to allow for the utmost in privacy. Plus, there is one new helpful amenity in addition the all of the wonderful others I described in my previous review: you now have a shampoo/shower gel dispenser in the shower. We found this very helpful so that we did not have to pack either of those items. The product is of good quality and was fine for even sensitive skin. The landscaping around the bungalows and throughout the property is as spectacular as ever and carefully planned and executed to provide beauty that is not overly structured or formulaic.

Oh, the beach! It is just what we remembered and more. I still have never seen water in such gorgeous shades of blue. Although the resort was full (if you can call 10 people full!) while we were there, we always had a piece of the beach to ourselves. In fact, you may often find you are the only people on the beach at all. It is such a lovely place to hold hands with the one you love and to stroll, just lost in the beauty around you and the quiet breeze and warm water that envelops you and the gift of this special time together. We were actually able to walk further around the bay (towards the left if you are looking from the resort) and past the point to see yet another secluded beach. We also braved the Man-o-War trail this time around, and although a bit Indiana Jones-esque, the ending destination makes the hike most definitely worth it! Make sure you bring one of the long sticks that reside at the entrance of the trail at the resort. You’ll need it – enough said! Still, don’t miss the chance to see beautiful Man-o-War beach and walk around to the Atlantic side of the island. You can walk forever, it seems, without seeing anyone else. It really does seem like your own deserted island. The water is a bit rougher up at the north, but we did hear that there was some good snorkeling there. We found the water in May to be quite a bit cooler than the bathtub water we had in August, but it was still lovely, and who can complain that you are swimming in the Caribbean?

We actually felt like our experience with the food was even better this time around, if that is possible! Once again, the quality of food coming out of the kitchen, under Gabi’s direction and Chef Andrea’s impeccable execution, was amazing. Everything is fabulously fresh, carefully planned, and deliciously prepared. We had no issue again with the pre-planned dinners, in that we were notified early in the day or the evening before what the next evening’s dinner would be. The variety was fantastic, but we were really happy to have so much seafood on this visit. I think we met our goal of eating all of our seafood quota for the year! Even better is that Gabi supports the local fishermen, so the fish can’t be any fresher! The wonderful dinner entrees ranged from grouper filet, grilled (a la Frank) Porterhouse steak, mahi mahi and homemade gnocchi, red snapper and creamy risotto, succulent beef tenderloin, not to mention the perfect appetizer and dessert to complement and complete each meal. That chocolate mousse is to die for! Another acknowledgement of Chef Andrea is absolutely necessary. Andrea is a truly talented culinary expert that makes the food shine here; Frank and Gabi must be proud to have such an asset on their staff. Yet, despite the fact that you feel like you are eating a 5 star dinner every night, it is unassuming and perfectly spiced and prepared. I was happy to get to know Andrea more on this trip, and she is truly a sweet and wonderful person. We look forward to enjoying more of her talent on our next visit.

If you are staying an appropriate amount of time, do get a rental car and set out for a day to explore. To be honest, there isn’t a lot on the island, but that is the charm, is it not? And the locals are such very sweet people. Do get a chance to relax and have a conversation with them if you can. While out, make sure you stop by Emily’s in Arthur’s Town for some of her hand crafted straw goods. I got a beautiful big brimmed hat and some wonderful conversation. Emily’s is the little blue wood building right in town. We then set out for the south part of the island and stopped by Yardie’s for some of their famous made-to-order conch salad and conch fritters. Great food and a great time! There are some cultural/historic stops that you should not miss as well. The Hermitage is a stone monastery built by Father Jerome on Mount Alvernia, the highest point of elevation in the Bahamas at 206 feet above sea level. It is very special place to visit and the views atop the mountain are lovely. On our way back, we stopped and had a cold Kalik at Cocktails by the Sea and some great conversation with Grammy, the octogenarian owner and host, and some locals. The views are beautiful, and it is a great place to have a cold drink at the end of your big day out on the island.

This is the first time we have returned to a hotel/resort in the Caribbean for a repeat stay. From the moment we arrived and Frank welcomed us at the airport with “welcome home,” our hearts knew we had made the right choice. We once again met some amazing people staying there, and it provides for wonderful conversation and camaraderie in the evenings.

The experience that Frank and Gabi offer at Shannas Cove is not for everyone; there is nothing but peace, excellent accommodations, gourmet food, natural beauty, friendship, and time with the one you love. If that speaks to you and fits you well as it does for us, then you’ll do what you can to come or return – or perhaps both. We once again booked our return while staying for next year, and we already cannot wait. Our thanks, smiles, and hugs go out to the wonderful staff: Tara, for taking such good care of us every day and for the wonderful friendship; Molly for always being so sweet and helpful; Andrea and her to-die-for cooking and fantastic personality, Antonesse (my apologies for wrong spelling) and Vanessa for their permanent smiles and great service, and all of the many others who work to make us so happy and comfortable during our stays. But the last is saved for Frank and Gabi, who are truly two special and amazing hosts, friends, and souls. The positive and pleasant experience at Shannas is a direct reflection of them and their vision to help us enjoy our time in their special paradise. We already look forward to the many great conversations to come during our next stay. Thanks again for all that you do, Frank and Gabi. We can’t wait to return.

Room Tip: Parrot and Turtle are closet to the beach; Seahorse is closest to the restaurant and bar. But, all a...
4 Thank LP-PS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Birmingham, Michigan
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Unfortunately, our last minute Bahamas trip meant that Shannas was booked, but our experience there was nonetheless impressive. The food was delicious, the diving was personal and effortless, the location was fantastic and the hosts were amazing. The walk to a remote nearby beach was well worth the effort. Will return to stay here next time.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shuggs76
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This was a return trip for us and beyond all expectations, as usual. This is paradise, pure and simple. The gourmet food that comes out of Gabi's kitchen rivals the best in the world. (Funny how couples staying at nearby resorts came to Shanna's Cove for dinner.) Scallops, shrimp, duck breast, veal, red snapper, lamb are just a few of the entrees that melt in your mouth.

If you love seclusion, the clearest ocean water you'll ever see, amazing food and most importantly, the person you came with, this is your slice of heaven. If you need a pool, nightlife, the Internet and TV, stay home.

My only suggestion would be to upgrade the bed, bedding and pillows. But if I had to sleep on the floor, I'd still make this destination my #1 preference in the world. Yep, it's that great in our book.

Thank you to Frank, Gabi, and their amazing staff...Tara, Molly, etc...for making this trip the best ever. For one week a year, I can jump into that page of the calendar where the sky, sand and sea look too good to be true. I can be the star of the show on a beach reserved just for me.

Room Tip: Stay in Parrot or Turtle for the most privacy.
1 Thank HHS71
Mercerville, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is our 2nd stay and to think of anything negative…I can’t…everything was excellent! The accommodations, the service, the people, and the food, Excellent. Well the food, it was some of the best we have experienced. Frank and Gabi have this wonderful Chef, Andrea. She is a wonderful girl that has a natural talent when it comes to cooking. I told Frank never to let her go!. I have to mention all the staff by name, because it was just like being home with the way we were served and the personal attention we received. Tara, Antelyse, Vanessa, Raquel Molly and Shanaya. I apologize if I forgot anyone. Oh and we cannot forget our wonderful “greeter” Tia, Frank and Gabi’s dog. Every day she would be with one of the guest, whether walking on the beach or just sitting on our porch or at the restaurant.
The Beach is absolutely beautiful, clear, warm and calm. The sun sets are spectacular, setting down behind a hill, but also reflecting in the water. Very peaceful and relaxing.
We already scheduled our next stay with Frank because if you want to truly relax, eat very well and just enjoy a beautiful peaceful ocean this is the place to be.
Thank you Frank, Gabi and all the great staff for a wonderful week. “We’ll Be Back”!

Room Tip: Every Room is Good. All ocean front
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This time 6 days, not 3, nothing changed and we cannot wait to return in January. I can only say dido our last review, and Frank was solo and did a great job holding down the fort. Nothing changed five star food and accommodations.
Found some new beaches and visited Da Smoking Pot for some off property good food and entertainment.

Flight over was a breeze left out of Stuart Fla. (KSUA) 1.2 in an SR22 cleared customs in Bight (MYCB) then hoped over to Arthurs Town (MYCB) .2 and departed through North Eluethera (MYEH) and pick up some fuel.

Room Tip: All rooms generally equal.
Bronx, New York
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Not a whole lot to repeat as past reviewers have stated much of what exists and what to expect. Shanna’s does indeed have a prime spot, situated on a hill with a beautiful look out to the bay/cove in the back. We were in the “Parrot” Bungalow which really does offer the most privacy, although privacy in general is not an issue whatsoever. Rooms are spacious enough, A/C was more than sufficient. Bedding(s) could be a little more comfy but I’m not complaining in the slightest 0: ) I also found the bathroom/shower to be beautifully designed & furnished! I would offer the opinion that if you are physically disabled or have a physical handicap the path leading from the main house & bungalows down to beach is uneven & steep in some places, and might not be ideal for any persons with such issues (not an issue for us but did see a fellow, older guest struggle in regards to traversing the path).

Everyone raves about the food but in all honestly I struggled somewhat with the options & routine. Breakfast is fine as are lunches, but dinner is decided upon the night before & fixed. .. and a rather late affair typically serving well past 8pm. Really, I am just a PICKY eater and a lot of the options didn’t appeal to me (sorry I am just not a “foodie” by any means). And although I can appreciate Gabi taking pride in the cuisine side of things, it seems she may take some offense to someone not being thrilled about the options. And after 8 days the repetitive options kinda wore me down. It was definitely nice to get out on the island and eat different things from local food spots or other resorts.

Frank, Gabi and especially the staff in the restaurant/main house.. Rado, Molly & I want to say Tara ? (I actually typed up a thorough review months ago & it’s since been lost & can’t be found for anything! so forgive me if I don’t recall correctly but you guys were great!) are really great & hard working people. Gabi can give off the “cold vibe”, and seemed downright unfriendly sometimes (I was told that’s just the “German demeanor” but I can’t whole-heartedly buy that 0: ) ), but eventually she seemed to come around, and come our departure day I had developed a fondness for her & parting ways was difficult. I ain’t mad@cha Gabi, we love you!

In general Cat Island is a “DYI” (do it yourself) type of location. There aren’t really any planned or group excursions to be found on Cat other than some fishing or diving which can be arranged by Frank. Depending on which days you’re there you might be able to go out shell collecting with Gabi along a conch, and flotsam & jetsam strewn beach, but in all honestly wasn’t that fun of a thing to do for me personally (not into shells & can’t really swim at that beach). Frank said they offered snorkeling trips from Shanna’s but that was never mentioned once there nor offered. I do believe they have snorkel gear to use (we bring our own) if you prefer to skip having to bring that kind of luggage. Kayaks are free & fun to use to explore, just be sure to keep yourself as best protected from the sun as possible, venture out with liquids & snacks, and STAY HYDRATED! Hiking to Man O’ War via the trail which begins at Shanna’s is a huge convenience.. be sure to use a good stick from the pile at the entrance. Frank can also arrange a vehicle to rent, which you can conveniently hop in & return to right at Shanna’s.

The very best thing about Shanna’s. . the people. The fellow, like-minded adventurous Out Island travelers! We met so many awesome, fun & just COOL people there .. friends to be made from all over the world for sure.

In my heart of hearts I honestly wanted to give Shanna’s a 4 Star, but in the end it all came together, and they definitely have earned their 5 Star streak. Bummer about that one reviewer that just HAD to get in a seriously negative rating. Every other review is absolutely a truthful & honest indicator of Shanna’s sterling reputation. Please have no doubts or fear about booking/staying here, it’s a place you will remember for the rest of your life no doubt.

Many Sincere & Heartfelt thanks to Frank & Gabi. .. Happy & Safe travels all!

Room Tip: We felt Parrot's location was the best. Right in front, off of the path. Although all bungalow...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JayStarzZ
Gorham, Maine
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My Wife and I just got back from our 3rd trip to Shannas Cove two days ago. If anybody is looking for an update on this place, I'm here to tell you it has not lost a step. Shannas Cove is as beautiful and wonderful as ever. Coming back and seeing Gabi, Frank, Tara, and Mally again was like coming home to family. There is also a new dog as of a week ago to add to the family. Tia. Everyone fell in love with her immediately. When you meet her, you will see just how special she is. Our room and the grounds were spotless as always. I am one that eats strictly because I am hungry but here I looked forward to dinner every night because the meals were so tasty. Bahama Mamas were the drink of choice for us for the week. Oh so good. My wife who very rarely has anything to drink enjoyed one or two every night, that's saying something. Before we came this year, I promised my wife that we would go back to Ireland next year as we have not been in 4 years but by the end of the week we knew we would miss Shannas Cove too much, so guess what, we are already booked again for 2015 and I'm counting the days. I told Frank he will be getting me through another long cold Maine winter with the prospect of returning. If you haven't been here before, one of the best trips you will ever take in your life would be to come to Shannas Cove. If you have already been here at least once, you know there is no better spot in the world. 356 days and counting.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
The Ocean Dream Beach Resort
The Ocean Dream Beach Resort
#9 of 10 in Cat Island
Love At First Sight Hotel

Been to Shannas Cove Resort? Share your experiences!