“Best Vacation Ever!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cat Island
Shannas Cove Resort
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Cat Island
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I'm not sure there's anything more I can add to the other reviews-all true! Reviews, pictures and niceties can't do Shannas Cove justice. Just wanted to pinch myself each day as Shannas seems surreal with its beauty and peacefulness. Deserted beaches for miles! I've never seen more beautiful water. The food was out of this world and Frank and Gabi's desire to make sure everything about your stay is perfect is unsurpassed! Fun, fun times when we all headed out to Da' Smoke Pot and the Hotspot for Karaoke. Going with the other guests at the resort was just a ton of fun. Gabi drove our crew-I don't think I've laughed that hard in years. We rented a car (arranged through Frank) for a day, highly recommend. We headed to church, explored the Hermitage and the rest of the island. We're planning on returning next year to rent a house on Cat as we'll be bringing family. Can't wait to visit Frank and Gabi for meals at Shannas when we return! Thanks so much Frank and Gabi for our best vacation EVER!

Room Tip: We stayed in Dolphin, furthest from beach and with the least privacy.
2  Thank 3boyz2keep

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We just returned from our vacation at Shanna’s Cove, and I have to say that we had the time of our lives! First, there is no need to worry about finding a taxi. Frank will pick you up from the airport and take you directly to the resort. Along the way, Frank will explain a little about the resort, and point out interesting aspects of the island. When you arrive at the resort, you are taken to your cottage, and either he or Gabi will explain the features of your room. We stayed in the Dolphin cottage, and we felt it was well appointed with a TV (never turned it on), a small coffee maker with a supply of freshly ground coffee; a mini-fridge stocked with soda, water, tonic water, Kalik Beer, and some juices - all items were reasonably priced. In the restroom was a small hair dryer, hand soap, body wash that doubles as shampoo, and fresh towels for both bathing and the beach.

If you read the previous reviews, you will find that the majority of them mention how great the food was. Each dinner consists of three courses; however, I won’t get into the meals because I will just repeat what others have said – the meals are amazing! Not only that, if you happen to order drinks from the bar, you will not be disappointed. Frank pours a mean drink! He does not skimp.

If you are adventurous, and you plan to hike to Man O’ War beach, you would do well to bring your hiking/tennis shoes – no sandals - the trail can be very rocky at times. The trail is a little over one mile long, and during the summer months can be hot. While we hiked the trail we could hear the crabs scurrying away from the trail, so be prepared for noises all around you. Once you make it to the end of the trail, you will not be disappointed! An amazingly beautiful and secluded beach that goes on for miles, and you are the only one on it. It is definitely worth the hike.

As the other reviewers have stated, Frank and Gabi may take you to Da Smoke Pot (it’s not mandatory if you don’t want to go), and I must say that the food was excellent – as well as the entertainment. Be prepared to participate on the saw – it was a lot of fun.

I know some of the previous reviews also mention that they were Gabi and Frank’s favorite guests. This is what is so great about Shannas Cove, Gabi and Frank make EVERYONE feel like they were the favored guests. We have already planned our next trip for June of next year, and we can hardly wait.

Misc. info: We stayed from 6/14-6/20. According to the temperature display on the bar, it was approximately 85°F with humidity of approximately 75%.

3  Thank Alischaid
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My wife and I travelled from Ireland and stayed in Shannas Cove from the 14th to 21st June 2014 on our honeymoon. Following on from the reviews below I would say that the stunning views, beautiful beaches and superb local home cooked food are a given and come as standard.
Don’t be fooled by Gabi and Franks German exterior, they are well able to have the ‘craic’ and they are genuinely two of the nicest hosts we have ever come across. It took us a while to adjust to Gabi’s sense of humour in particular, especially when she pointed out to us the local Police Station that had come under heavy machine-gun fire recently (Turns out it was just a dodgy plastering job!). It was playing on my mind for about 4 hrs. until Frank put me straight (Thanks Frank).
Frank and Gabi could not have been more helpful to us during our stay there and when I informed Gabi the day before we left that I sleep better on planes when I am ‘hungover’ they duly obliged and brought us out again to a local karaoke bar and I am glad to say that I did not fully recover for about three days after it! (Thanks again Frank and Gabi).
If ever Frank and Gabi decide to return to Ireland again on their holidays, Ciara and I would be only too happy to return the hospitality that we received (minus the food and accommodation of course, we will buy you both 1no. pint of Guinness, 2no. max.).
We would love dearly to visit Shannas Cove again especially since, after watching France hammer Switzerland 5-2 in the World Cup, Gabi announced that she would immediately purchase a set of Swiss Army steak knives at a knockdown price for use in the restaurant. I can’t wait to use one of these!
My only regret with our trip was that I was unable to hang around Shannas Cove long enough to see Germany get knocked out of the World Cup (At the time of writing they are still in it, but it’s only a matter of time). That surely will be a memorable night in Shannas Cove!
PS: Response to Janice’s review below: Sorry Darlin’, WE were their favourite guests!!

Paul & Ciara

5  Thank keycostello
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I know some of you will not believe me when I tell you this, but I must reveal my secret: of all guests past, present, and future, we are Gabi and Frank's favorites. I know, it's hard to take in all at once, but here is my evidence: from the moment we stepped off our plane in Cat Island, our hosts treated us as if we were royalty, as if we were the most special guests they'd ever or would ever have. From the beginning of the day to the end of every evening, their question was always, "What can we do for you?" Meals were spectacular. Not only is the food the best in the Caribbean, but it is also the best food we've ever had on any vacation. Yeah, it's THAT good. The rooms are well appointed, and if you need anything else in the room, all you need to do is ask. There's a mini-fridge with snacks, beer, and other refreshments, and they're not priced out-of-this-world. The beach is a paradise, and the grounds resemble what you might imagine the Garden of Eden might have looked like. Frank and Gabi were always around, making sure we were happy. In the evening, they waited for us to come in for Happy Hour, fresh homemade piña coladas in hand, to listen to the stories of how we'd spent our day. I'm sure they paid more attention to our stories than the other guests...and, when we had to leave to go home, I think Frank was crying a little... As you can tell, we had a superb time at this amazing resort, and we've already booked our return for next year -- because, you know, you have to come back to see your friends, right?

Room Tip: All of the rooms are of excellent quality. The Dolphin is a little bit bigger than the others. Our...
4  Thank Janice25
Reviewed 19 June 2014

.... as we don't want others finding out about it.

Support all other comments made - great place, fantastic location, lovely friendly staff, wonderful fresh food, generous drinks, cute dog (Tia), the bluest clearest sea, very hospitable hosts in Frank and Gaby.

If you prefer anodyne 5* star hotels that could be anywhere in the world, then please stay away as you will be disappointed. However, if you want to feel like you are staying with friends in a great house party in the most dreamy location with the chance to meet similar minded travellers from around the world then this is the place to go.

We had the second week of our honeymoon there and it was the peffect way to chill and relax after the wedding and to start married life.

Thanks to Frank & Gaby for a great week and hope to see you both soon.

3  Thank ChrisSheffield_UK
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We didn’t think it was possible to eclipse the wonderfully perfect experience we had during our stay at Shannas Cove last August, but much to our pleasant surprise, our second stay in this unique paradise was even better. Since we jumped at the chance to book our next visit while staying last August, we were able to enjoy a full seven nights. The extra days really do make a difference, so try to book very early (as they are perpetually booked!) so that you have the time to completely separate from the everyday world and its stress, relax, and get into the peaceful rhythm of the island and your own secret paradise. The reviews continue to be true, and Frank, Gabi, and their fantastic staff continue to excel in their service, care, professionalism, and heart – it seems that Shannas Cove and all of them just continue to get better with time.

We once again stayed in the Seahorse bungalow, closest to the main house with the restaurant yet still with beautiful views of the most perfectly crystal blue ocean and quiet privacy. The bungalow was once again appointed very well, and it was clear that the bungalows are very well taken care of during each season to ensure that the experience is one of quality and comfort. You truly can’t go wrong with any of the bungalows, and they are perfectly arranged to allow for the utmost in privacy. Plus, there is one new helpful amenity in addition the all of the wonderful others I described in my previous review: you now have a shampoo/shower gel dispenser in the shower. We found this very helpful so that we did not have to pack either of those items. The product is of good quality and was fine for even sensitive skin. The landscaping around the bungalows and throughout the property is as spectacular as ever and carefully planned and executed to provide beauty that is not overly structured or formulaic.

Oh, the beach! It is just what we remembered and more. I still have never seen water in such gorgeous shades of blue. Although the resort was full (if you can call 10 people full!) while we were there, we always had a piece of the beach to ourselves. In fact, you may often find you are the only people on the beach at all. It is such a lovely place to hold hands with the one you love and to stroll, just lost in the beauty around you and the quiet breeze and warm water that envelops you and the gift of this special time together. We were actually able to walk further around the bay (towards the left if you are looking from the resort) and past the point to see yet another secluded beach. We also braved the Man-o-War trail this time around, and although a bit Indiana Jones-esque, the ending destination makes the hike most definitely worth it! Make sure you bring one of the long sticks that reside at the entrance of the trail at the resort. You’ll need it – enough said! Still, don’t miss the chance to see beautiful Man-o-War beach and walk around to the Atlantic side of the island. You can walk forever, it seems, without seeing anyone else. It really does seem like your own deserted island. The water is a bit rougher up at the north, but we did hear that there was some good snorkeling there. We found the water in May to be quite a bit cooler than the bathtub water we had in August, but it was still lovely, and who can complain that you are swimming in the Caribbean?

We actually felt like our experience with the food was even better this time around, if that is possible! Once again, the quality of food coming out of the kitchen, under Gabi’s direction and Chef Andrea’s impeccable execution, was amazing. Everything is fabulously fresh, carefully planned, and deliciously prepared. We had no issue again with the pre-planned dinners, in that we were notified early in the day or the evening before what the next evening’s dinner would be. The variety was fantastic, but we were really happy to have so much seafood on this visit. I think we met our goal of eating all of our seafood quota for the year! Even better is that Gabi supports the local fishermen, so the fish can’t be any fresher! The wonderful dinner entrees ranged from grouper filet, grilled (a la Frank) Porterhouse steak, mahi mahi and homemade gnocchi, red snapper and creamy risotto, succulent beef tenderloin, not to mention the perfect appetizer and dessert to complement and complete each meal. That chocolate mousse is to die for! Another acknowledgement of Chef Andrea is absolutely necessary. Andrea is a truly talented culinary expert that makes the food shine here; Frank and Gabi must be proud to have such an asset on their staff. Yet, despite the fact that you feel like you are eating a 5 star dinner every night, it is unassuming and perfectly spiced and prepared. I was happy to get to know Andrea more on this trip, and she is truly a sweet and wonderful person. We look forward to enjoying more of her talent on our next visit.

If you are staying an appropriate amount of time, do get a rental car and set out for a day to explore. To be honest, there isn’t a lot on the island, but that is the charm, is it not? And the locals are such very sweet people. Do get a chance to relax and have a conversation with them if you can. While out, make sure you stop by Emily’s in Arthur’s Town for some of her hand crafted straw goods. I got a beautiful big brimmed hat and some wonderful conversation. Emily’s is the little blue wood building right in town. We then set out for the south part of the island and stopped by Yardie’s for some of their famous made-to-order conch salad and conch fritters. Great food and a great time! There are some cultural/historic stops that you should not miss as well. The Hermitage is a stone monastery built by Father Jerome on Mount Alvernia, the highest point of elevation in the Bahamas at 206 feet above sea level. It is very special place to visit and the views atop the mountain are lovely. On our way back, we stopped and had a cold Kalik at Cocktails by the Sea and some great conversation with Grammy, the octogenarian owner and host, and some locals. The views are beautiful, and it is a great place to have a cold drink at the end of your big day out on the island.

This is the first time we have returned to a hotel/resort in the Caribbean for a repeat stay. From the moment we arrived and Frank welcomed us at the airport with “welcome home,” our hearts knew we had made the right choice. We once again met some amazing people staying there, and it provides for wonderful conversation and camaraderie in the evenings.

The experience that Frank and Gabi offer at Shannas Cove is not for everyone; there is nothing but peace, excellent accommodations, gourmet food, natural beauty, friendship, and time with the one you love. If that speaks to you and fits you well as it does for us, then you’ll do what you can to come or return – or perhaps both. We once again booked our return while staying for next year, and we already cannot wait. Our thanks, smiles, and hugs go out to the wonderful staff: Tara, for taking such good care of us every day and for the wonderful friendship; Molly for always being so sweet and helpful; Andrea and her to-die-for cooking and fantastic personality, Antonesse (my apologies for wrong spelling) and Vanessa for their permanent smiles and great service, and all of the many others who work to make us so happy and comfortable during our stays. But the last is saved for Frank and Gabi, who are truly two special and amazing hosts, friends, and souls. The positive and pleasant experience at Shannas is a direct reflection of them and their vision to help us enjoy our time in their special paradise. We already look forward to the many great conversations to come during our next stay. Thanks again for all that you do, Frank and Gabi. We can’t wait to return.

Room Tip: Parrot and Turtle are closet to the beach; Seahorse is closest to the restaurant and bar. But, all a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LP-PS
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Unfortunately, our last minute Bahamas trip meant that Shannas was booked, but our experience there was nonetheless impressive. The food was delicious, the diving was personal and effortless, the location was fantastic and the hosts were amazing. The walk to a remote nearby beach was well worth the effort. Will return to stay here next time.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
The Ocean Dream Beach Resort
#8 of 10 in Cat Island
0 mi away
Love At First Sight Hotel

Been to Shannas Cove Resort? Share your experiences!