All reviews man o war s cove fish other guests caribbean islands dietary restrictions restaurant bar our honeymoon beautiful beach wonderful hosts conch shells a true gem humane society bug spray white sand beaches bring plenty of sunscreen every meal
Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

My husband and I had dinner there and it was very good a little pricey for the island but everything tasted fresh. We stayed in Bennett's harbour so it took like 30 minutes to get there, and the road was bumpy. I'm going back to Cat Island this July so I'll be visiting this restaurant again.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2018

I first reviewed Shanna's Cove after our visit in 2011. Since then, we have returned several times and I just have to say that everything is as wonderful as ever.

Allow me to paint a picture of a typical trip to Shanna's Cove: Cat Island is an easy flight on Sky Bahamas, from Nassau, which leaves twice daily. We're met at Arthur's Town airport by Frank, who offers combination of professionalism & reliability with a great sense of humor. We acclimate instantly, not only to the warm climate, but to the friendly and laid back attitude he's adopted, and we love. He often states: "No problem in the Bahamas."

The ride to Shanna's Cove is maybe 10 minutes, and we're treated to our first glimpses of the turquoise sea on the way. We pass the occasional person on foot, bike, or maybe a vehicle, and everyone waves or honks a greeting.

The resort is on a dead-end road and borders lovely wooded green space. Upon arrival, we enter the restaurant, and Gabi pops in to catch up, and let us know what's on the menu for dinner. Cold drinks are offered. Dinner is three course, prix fixe, and prepared by a young chef and an artist from Austria. Dietary restrictions are accommodated. Like Frank, Gabi is incredibly professional and efficient, with a wonderful sense of humor. While operating with the highest of standards, their kind and generous hearts are evident. Three adoptees at Frank & Gabi's include Luna the dog and Garfield the cat, who live with them on the premises, plus Frank's nocturnal wandering geriatric horse - who is supposed to be staying on the hillside above. We've also met the local owl and peeked in on baby Hummingbirds nesting during recent visits!

We are given a key to our bungalow, and there is nothing else we need to do but relax! (For options on activities, scroll down...). The mini fridge in the room is stocked with cold drinks and a basket of snacks is always available. We just jot down what we consume. It's the honor system. The cabins are surrounded by well-tended tropical plantings from Orchids to Hibiscus and some lovely, fragrant ones I don't recognize!

In the morning, we wander to the restaurant whenever we feel like it, and we're greeted by Tara, Antonese (Gosh I hope I am spelling her name correctly) or Mallie, who bring beautiful and delicious plates of fresh fruits, cheeses, meats, breads, juice and French-pressed coffee within minutes. Breakfast is flat-rated and if we want eggs or something else, they'll make it, with a smile. Frank and Gabi check in to make sure we have everything we need. They are readily available without hovering, and always friendly. When we return to our room, it's been straightened up: The bed has been made, fresh towels provided, and it's sparkling clean. This is one of the many ways in which this resort is an expertly run machine: Somehow, behind the scenes, they seamlessly keep everything impeccable, making it look effortless, when it can't be!

Lunch is any time after breakfast and before dinner. The lunch menu includes a variety of freshly made salads, sandwiches, angus beef burgers and pizzas. There is need to carry a wallet around: It's put on our tab.

The day is anything we want to make it: Reading on the porch or on the beach, paddle boarding, kayaking, hiking to the remote northern part of the island through a path the woods, or a long, leisurely walk down along cove on the sandy shore. We have walked for 2-3 hours without meeting more then 2 or 3 other people many times! Books and board games are available, or we can just take in the fresh air, sunshine, warm breezes and the quiet. The kayaks and SUP are on always available on the beach to use. This location is in stark contrast to crowded beaches like Nassau, for example, where solicitors and street noise squash any chance of enjoying a peaceful escape from 'reality.' The only sounds at Shanna's are the ocean waves. With only five bungalows for two, Shanna's private sandy beach will never have more than eight other people on it, and we've never seen that many, since people come and go at different times. And I love that I can leave the room unlocked or leave my camera on my lounge chair on the beach, and not be concerned about theft. It's like being in our own yard where that is concerned. Snorkeling sites are also available nearby (walking distance). My husband has photographed rays, puffers, tangs, remora, filefish, parrotfish, lion fish, jack crevalles, coral, urchins, sponges, anemone, sand dollars, huge starfish...more! We have also gone out fishing with Rod and had the adventure of seeing flying fish, and reeling in barracuda and grouper.

Everyone gathers around 7 pm for cocktails/ socializing, and dinner is served shortly thereafter. We are treated to an artfully-plated and scrumptious appetizer, main course and dessert. Frank offers coffee or espresso with dessert: "$3 for espresso or $6 for no espresso," he says with a smile and a sparkle in his eyes. He also has a talent for playing theme music while we dine: On our most recent trip, quail appetizers were accompanied by the sound of Bob Marley and "Three Little Birds." The dining room in the evening has a special quality to it....dark outside...light and sparkly inside..warm sea breezes coming the through the slider doors.... background music.....friendly chatter. Sometimes we meet locals or other tourists who are staying elsewhere on the island, because Shanna's Restaurant is a destination. There are never more then 20 in the dining room, however, and often it's just the 'Shanna's group.'

The food is fabulous, and that is quite a feat when Gabi & crew (and everyone on the island) only get food deliveries once a week when the boat comes in. That she and her crew are able to serve fresh and delicious food every day is miraculous and has not gone unnoticed!

If we want to explore the island by car, we simply ask Frank to get a rental. On the day of our choosing, the car is there. Simple as that. Take the key and drive it. No money changes hands, no license is taken. The fee for the rental is added to our tab, and this is another example of how easy and simple things are for us on Cat Island! We like to go to the Atlantic side and find conch shells, and stop at Yardie's for local fare, or to Olive's Bake Shop where she and her daughter and a very nice retired principal offer up the days' baked goods with joy. If Miss Emily's door is open in Arthur's Town, we can also pick up some straw work from this sweet woman. Other than a few tiny places like these, there is no 'souvenir' shopping on Cat; and to me, that is one of many welcome differences between Frank & Gabi's place any other destination.

It's honestly difficult to believe that a place like this exists in today's busy, overcrowded, impersonal world. As if by magic, Frank and Gabi make the trip and the experience incredibly easy, freeing us up to simply relax and enjoy an amazing, unspoiled gem.
I could go on and on (and have!), but any detail I share has already been stated, time and time again. The photos people have posted show the real deal. This is a unique opportunity to spend time on stunningly beautiful island, which has remained untouched by chain stores, strip malls, or casinos.

There is a very good reason that a good portion of the guests are 'repeaters:' We know a good thing when we find it. At the risk of having Frank tell me he's fully booked when we are planning our next trip, I wholeheartedly recommend Shanna's Cove. Just don't take the last room on us!

Room Tip: They are all excellent, with the same amenities. Each has a king bed. Dolphin is a bit larger than the other 4.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
16  Thank What_I_Thought_Was
Reviewed 7 January 2018

There's not much I can say here without sounding like I'm repeating what all the other five-star reviews have already said. They may sound too good to be true, but they're true.

If you're looking for a place to experience peace, beauty, quiet, warm weather, and the most wonderful beachs, away from the crowds, this is it. We would rate Shannah's Cove 5-stars even without the gourmet meals, but of course it has those, too.

We spent most of our time kayaking out to four different completely deserted beaches, each within a mile or two of the resort. It was like having a whole world to explore, all to ourselves. Incredibly romantic!

A perfect location, wonderfully maintained grounds, and super-friendly service added up to the best vacation we have ever had. We can't wait to do it again!

Room Tip: There are four small cottages and one large one. If you are getting a small one, ask for one closer to the beach for better views.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Al & Jen L
Reviewed 6 January 2018 via mobile

This place is has great food , views and people. The road to get there is pretty rough but well worth the trip. One of the widest food selections on Cat Island. Pizza and Mahi salad for lunch we're delicious. Dinner consisted of fish soup starter, Fillet Mignon and a Bananas Foster type dessert were standouts.Thanks Gabby and Frank. (Tara had great fishing tips).

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 December 2017 via mobile

Took my three kids here flew in ourselves. The owner met us at the airport after we flew over. My kids are 21, 18 and 15 and cannot believe that a place like exists. Every meal is gourmet. The beach is like a personal beach. This place will be hard to surpass ever. We will be making this an annual pilgrimage!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family