“Seclusion and Relaxation”
Review of Tail Winds Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cat Island
Tail Winds Resort
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Cat Island
Pearland, Texas
“Seclusion and Relaxation”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Just returned from our 5 night stay at Tailwinds, and what can I say? The recent reviews were spot on! Rich has built and runs one very nice organization there. After a rough trip from Nassau (thunderstorms and a broken bottle of rum in the luggage) we arrived into rain at Tailwinds. Rich quickly saw to it that the rum soaked clothing was washed for us. It was then we realized we were at a resort with a little something extra to offer. The rooms were beautiful and spacious, and the outdoor shower was special, and utilized often. With the beach only a short 50 foot walk from the room, the scenery quickly overwhelms the senses. I was in paradise, literally. The food Rich offered on his menu was excellent also. Worth noting were the Cracked Conch, Fish of the Day, excellent Black Angus burgers, the Grilled Chicken and roasted red pepper Panini, and the grilled Salmon. But the piece-de-resistance had to be the simple, delicious Chocolate Panini. Do yourself a favor and save room for it, because you will order one with each meal after you have one. Water clarity was excellent for snorkeling, and the gear is even provided at no charge. We snorkeled every day for 4-5 hours at least, always searching for conch. We actually found a prized Queen conch about 50 yrds. out from the resort. The beach was wide and just as beautiful as pictures show, as well as private. Shannas Cove was about 500 yrds west, but you could walk east for an hour and not see anyone. Exclusive privacy in paradise. Rosie, Riches girlfriend, came in for the weekend to help out with everything as the resort had gotten full ( by that I mean 8 guests). Meeting nice people from all over is one other reason this resort is special. By our last night there, all the guests and Rich piled into 2 vehicles and went to the Smoke Pot for a little Rake and Scrape, with a great time held by all. Carrie, Zach, Rob, Sandra, Alex, and Tatiana, Thanks for making our stay at Tailwinds that much more special.
I have never been to a resort where we became friends with the entire guest list. It is with a heavy heart I write this, as it means I am home now, back to my reality. My stay in paradise was special and will never be forgotten, and I look forward to returning. I just hope no one reads this and that the word does not get out too far. I want to keep it our little secret!

Room Tip: There is not a bad room. All 4 villas are equal , with Hannahs Hanger and the Flap House being close...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MikeandRoseStefka

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Wallingford, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My first time here was Easter weekend 2014. Such a wonderful time I had to come back in June for the Rake N Scrape Festival. Rich and Rosie are very accommodating. Thank you for a wonderful stay. We might be back in August for the Regatta.

Room Tip: Any Villa - all equipped with top of the line amenities!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

This place is a little piece of paradise! Tucked away in a secluded part of the beautiful Island of Cat Island in the Bahamas, it was just what I needed for rest and relaxation. The days and nights are peacefully quiet...except for the sound of the ocean. I love that at night I could see all the stars. The beautiful cabin style rooms literally overlooking the beach are awesome, my favorite feature is the private outdoor shower in the room. I guess you can tell that I absolutely love this place and I can't wait to return! Vacation 2015 is already booked!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Alamogordo, New Mexico
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We just came back from a wonderful 5 day vacation on Cat Island. We read all the good comments on this webpage so we decided to go with Tailwinds. All the written comments are 100 % correct. This lovely little piece of heaven is the best place you could stay. The beach is just 50 feet from your room. You will have a great view from all the rooms and you can listen to the wonderful sound of the sea. We really enjoyed our time there. The first time that we were able to relax. Also Rich is wonderful, he was such a great help. We lost our luggage at Nassau airport and he did everything possible for us to get our luggage back. He took us to a traditional "Rake'n'Scrape" which was really great. Make sure you go there and have a good time. The food there is delicious!!! The beach is perfect. White, with a pinky touch and crystal clear water. You will love it! Thank you Rich for a good time, we really enjoyed it!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms look the same and you will have the ocean view from every room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Orangeville, Canada
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We stated at Tailwinds in April 2014 for a week. The place is sooo beautiful! The beach is quiet with perfect sand, the Tiki bar is cute and Rose and Rich make a great meal. Our pod was huge and always perfectly clean. The view from our room was amazing. So fun! See you in November.

Andrea & Jeff

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Andrea K
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Before writing this review I re-read down through all the posts for this year.
These were the posts that helped to determine where my wife and I would spend our Caribbean vacation.
Well, all I can say is that what has been said about Tail Winds by others is spot on accurate!
Rich, the owner, is personable, Mispa and Reynoldo are the two hard working employees who will do anything to help make your stay most enjoyable.
A relaxing aspect of staying at Tail Winds (and on Cat Island) was the feeling of being safe from crime. But always stay aware as anywhere.
Rent a car for a day or two and take a drive "up" South to get a feel for the pace of time on the island.
We made it as far as Old Bight, then stopping for a Kalik or five at Cocktails By The Sea in Arthurs Town on the way back.
A very restful experience and good to meet and get to know the other couples staying there too!
Thank you Rich for realizing your dream in retirement and sharing it with us!

Room Tip: Andy's Cockpit and Flap House are shadier in the afternoon.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend Valerie and I stayed at Tailwinds for 10 days last August.
With the exception of one night, we had the entire resort and beach to ourselves.
Richard was the best host we could've hoped for.
I think we only saw one other group of people walking down the beach the entire stay.
We went diving almost every morning and returned in the afternoon for a siesta, then cocktails and music while we watched the sunset.
It was the most relaxing 10 days I can remember, and Richard was always there to make sure we had everything we needed.
The only reason we won't return next summer is because this was primarily a dive vacation and the diving around Cat Island was average in our opinion.

Stayed August 2013
The Ocean Dream Beach Resort
The Ocean Dream Beach Resort
#9 of 10 in Cat Island
Love At First Sight Hotel

Been to Tail Winds Resort? Share your experiences!