“Johnny Depp has a private island getaway...why not you?”
Review of Cookie House

Cookie House
Reviewed 13 March 2010

If you ever had a fantasy of getting away from it all or of having your own private island this is your destination! This is a place where no one will find you. Listen to the waves as you fall asleep, soak up the warm sun, feel the most beautiful white tiny sand underfoot while happy fish tickle your feet as you walk out into the warm waves. See the color of the water and sky change dramatically as you drink a cool cocktail by the sea. This is an incredible place that will feed your soul. If you like to dive, fish or view fish in their natural habitat, this is a paradise for you. You return home from totally relaxed and refreshed.
A quaint delightful place where the food is awesome and staff and locals are delightfully "just folks"

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GinLosAngeles

Reviewed 12 August 2009

Pat is a really good cook and will go out of his way to prepare a special meal just for you. If you ask for conch fritters, he will call around and find some fresh conch and make some conck fritters on-site for you. If you want some Red Snapper he will call Willard the fisherman up in Orange Creek and get some fresh off the boat.
Pat is a very helpfull and pleasant host. He will go out of his way to make your time as nice as possible. He will tell you plenty of stories about his many lives, over a couple of cold kalik beers. Pat himself fancies bud, but serves Kalik as well. Thank Goodness. Kalik is the best beer!
As for the hotel itself, it is very plain and simble with awesome views, right on the water. The hotel has one of the largest dock's on Cat Island. You will from time to time see large boats anchor out a ways and send a small boat to tie up for lunch.
Cat Island itself is a wonderfull place to unwind and be at peace with your soul. You can explore miles of untamed beaches. You can walk the flats for great bonefish. You can also just read a good book and get some great sun.If that's what you need, Cat Island is your place..and Pat will do his best to make it great for you.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CatIsleGuy
Reviewed 13 June 2006

A letter to the state side absentee owner.

Wayne,

I am writing to you to express my extreme disappointment in the accommodations provided for us on Cat Island by yourself at Cookies Cabanas. While Mr. Pat Rolle was very apologetic and helpful he could not begin to make up for the deplorable conditions that we found.

I will enumerate.

* Upon arrival we were informed that there was no air conditioning and to quote Mr. Rolle " the bugs are so big that six or so could carry her (myself) away". We were unable to sleep due to the extreme heat and bugs in our room. There are holes in the screens and without any kind of mosquito netting the no-see-ums were unbearable.

* Bathroom has no doors and as the entire cabana is made of sliding glass, no privacy...at all.

*There was nowhere to unpack our clothes to, for example a closet or dresser.

* The bed was wrapped in plastic, I later learned this was to keep rodents from nesting in the mattress. We were offered clean sheets and towels once during our ten day stay, I was expected to dress the bed myself.

* Our "private deck" was covered in "hurricane debris".

* No potable water in the entire complex.

* There was no usable kitchen. Mr. Rolle explained that you had not visited since the last hurricane and were unaware that the kitchen was not usable. He cleaned it up the best he could for us. All drawers were filled with rodent feces by the following morning. All counters were covered with roaches and some sort of maggoty larva.

* The Cookie House Restaurant was appallingly filthy. I personally witnessed Mr. Rolle smash a mouse with his bare hand on the counter that the food was prepared on. When we lifted the sugar container at least a dozen roaches ran out. As we sat one evening speaking to Mr. Rolle and his wife I witnessed half a dozen mice running inside the glass food cabinet. Although I could, I don't think I need to go on.

* The outside patio and dock were covered with construction/and or/ hurricane debris and there were no lights on.

* Twice during our stay other hotel operators upon hearing where we were staying stated that Wayne " has a problem with his advertising", and " his website doesn't speak the truth."

If it had not been rake and scrape festival week, we have relocated to another facility, this unfortunately was not possible.

I would again like to reiterate that I do not place the blame for this on Mr. Rolle. He tried very hard to accommodate us, but with the seven migrant phone company workers in residence as well as ourselves, he was overwhelmed.

We are not vindictive or litigious people. We are people of humble means who can afford one vacation every two years. Your uninhabitable conditions made this trip miserable. We could not wait to leave Cat Island.

40  Thank nyreds
A TripAdvisor Member
Charlotte, N. Carolina
Reviewed 25 January 2004

I was looking for a somewhat secluded tropical island in the Bahamas. I fortunately found Cat Island and stayed at the Cookie House. I had a cabana at the waters edge and all my meals cooked to order at the restaurant on the premises. The snorkeling was fantastic and the people great. Airport is around the corner. Planning our next trip now.

17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member