“A wonderful resort!”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Great Exuma
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“A wonderful resort!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We had never been to Great Exuma before and our choice to stay at The Exuma Palms Hotel could not have been better. Ben and Clare (our hosts and the owners) have taken great care to makeover this marvelous 2-story hotel and have worked to make it an enjoyable place to rest, relax and revive. An amazing location, right on the beach next to 'The Three Sisters Beach', it afforded us a most spectacular view of the ocean; the beach was, literally, a few steps away from our room. Very nice room, complete with a refrigerator and a microwave, had a nice patio with a wonderful view. The A/C worked very well, (they've installed all new units) and the bed was dreamy comfortable. Very clean, comfortable and cozy. The sliding door to the patio was a bit of a challenge but, it worked fine once we got the hang of it. Very friendly staff that made us feel very welcome, but the main attraction has to be their on-site restaurant! 'blu' is an absolutely delightful dining experience! Ben is a wizard in the kitchen and loves what he does. The meals were superb (we were there in July '13 and in the summer they serve breakfast and dinner) and Clare and her dining and bar staff did a totally top notch job of keeping us well looked after. Clare and Ben also helped with getting us hooked up with a good bonefishing guide and a snorkel charter, as well as making suggestions for day trips and we also enjoyed those excursions. A wonderful stay, with two wonderful hosts/owners, and we are looking forward to a trip back to the Exuma Palms Hotel, in the not too distant future. Here's a little tip, which we were given before we traveled to Great Exumas; you're going to want to rent a car. There is plenty of parking at the Hotel, so not to worry.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same, 1st and 2nd floor. We stayed on the ground floor.
2 Thank gillboy27

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

My family and I stayed at the Exuma Palms for almost a week in June of 2013 (I am just getting around to writing this post.). The experience was wonderful. My wife and I were with my two college-aged daughters. The location is amazing, as every room overlooks the beautiful beach and ocean. When we were there, the island had very few tourists so our beach, as well as most others, were virtually empty. The Exuma Palms is not a luxury resort with lots of amenities. What it is a very comfortable, informal place to stay that is greatly enhanced by Ben and Clare, who are very friendly, helpful and responsive to every need and question. Ben is a great cook so definitely take advantage of that, both for breakfast and dinner. Our stay there was special and we were highly impressed by both the hospitality we enjoyed at the Exuma Palms as well as the friendliness of all the people who live on Great Exuma. A highly recommended hotel and island.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Edentonsailor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stayed for a week at the Exuma Palms hotel. We loved the private beach and found incredible snorkeling, just steps out the door. The staff was helpful and caring, Ben and Clare directed us with ideas, directions, and phoned in a favor or two. The rooms were clean with microwaves and refrigerators. We spent most of our time exploring the island, and didn't need the hotel to offer every service and amenity, just a comfortable place to settle in at night. Thanks so much to our new friends Ben and Clare, we wouldn't hesitate to come back!
*alissa

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Ducksfly2gether
Merrick, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Exuma Palms Hotel for one night as an extension to our trip. Travel was long to the Bahamas and we were looking for a nice place to spend the night and start our vacation! The Exuma Palms hotel did not disappoint. Let me start by saying this is not a luxury hotel by any means but that should not stop you from visiting! The room is clean and has everything you will need for your stay (refrigerator, coffee pot and microwave). The bed was pretty comfortable and the view was amazing! Its worth it for the view alone. There are 12 rooms which all face the beautiful ocean. You can go to bed hearing the sounds of the waves and lay in bed in the morning while seeing the view. Each room has a balcony also. You can't get a better deal anywhere else on the island! I searched a while before selecting this hotel because I wanted a decent rate and nice place. All the reviews of this hotel were very accurate. Ben and Clare are excellent hosts! We received five star service for our one night stay. Ben sent a taxi to the airport for us who was waiting upon our arrival. I had forgotten I requested it when I booked the hotel. We requested a late checkout because we were checking into sandals at 3 the next day; Clare allowed us to check out late so we were able to enjoy breakfast and the beach the next day! Ben is an excellent cook! My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the food. We had a slight problem with our room and Clare arranged for us to get another room within five minutes! Ben and Clare really add the special touch to your trip to make it memorable. They provide island tips and even offered us to use their kayaks after we checked out. Who does that? The beach is beautiful, peaceful and quiet. My husband and I don't like big crowds so we loved swimming with no one else around. Our only regret was that we weren't able to spend more time at this hotel! We will definitely return in the future for a longer stay. Thank you Ben and Clare for an excellent add on to our vacation!

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view but ask for a second level room as you will get a better view of the ocean
1 Thank Tareemike
Clinton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Ben and Clare are a wonderful host and hostess. The room was clean and very comfortable. Staff friendly and considerate. Ben is a great chef and both Ben and Clare are ready to accommodate your needs whether you need a rental car, restaurant recommendations or suggestions on area attractions. There are only 12 rooms, so guests get to know each other fairly quickly and it is so nice to meet others from around the world. Although if you choose to stay secluded that works too. We basically had the beach for ourselves. No crowds ever! It is truly a paradise vacation.

3 Thank BrookhavenVol
Passaic, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

First, let me note that the reviews for this are right on the money. This place is nothing fancy, but if you can't have an amazing experience while staying at Exuma Palms, you probably will not have a good experience anywhere on the Island. During check-in, we were walked to our room and given a tour of the room and the beach area. The views are the reason why you come to this location and they will not disappoint. We stayed five nights with a Living Social voucher, an amazing value. The customer service extended by Ben, Clare, and the staff is second to none. For example, my girlfriend asked for some rope to repair the hammock and Ben immediately replaced the entire hammock. Clare helped us reserve a tour to see the swimming pigs, etc...and she even got up really early to prepare us coffee. The food offered up by Ben was the best we had during our stay on Exuma. The Mexican night and Sunday BBQ was great!! Overall, if you are looking for a peaceful and pressure free vacation, choose Exuma Island and Exuma Palms. Considering our experiences on this vacation, a return to the Bahamas will certainly mean a return to Exuma and Exuma Palms!!

Ben and Clare--Thank You

Jason and Sangeetha

1 Thank mjreed
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

As many other reviewers have stated, Exuma Palms is charming. The old adage, "Don't judge a book by it's cover," is appropriate. The front area of the building is in transition, undergoing improvements. Don't let this influence your first impression too much. Check-in was easy. Ben was kind enough to lug my suitcase up to the lizard room. He gave me a quick overview of the area, the three sisters rocks, and Tom. You'll have to visit to find out who Tom is! He's very entertaining. Also, Rovella, the chief of security, is sweet and protective. She might even join you under your beach umbrella to cool off while she monitors the area. :)

The top floor rooms have plant or animal icons on the doors instead of numbers. As i said, my room was the lizard. There were NO lizards in my room! It was painted a buttery yellow with a neat, pickled wooden ceiling. There were crisp, white goose down duvets on the beds that gave the room a fresh and cozy feel. There was a tall, dorm type fridge and a microwave in the room.Very convenient for snacking reheating delicious leftovers from the wonderful restaurant. The room also has a small table and two chairs for dining in your room. The balcony overlooks the beautiful Three Sisters Beach. It has two chairs and a small table. Swaying palms and soothing waves will make you want to stay there for hours listening to those waves!

One impression that stands out for me is the camaraderie that is possible while staying at Exuma Palms. If you're standoffish, that's fine. You'll be left alone. If you're outgoing, you'll meet wonderful people. Your level of involvement is up to you. Ben and Clare certainly are the catalysts that make either of those happen. I thought of my experience as being like summer camp for adults. It's not just a place to sleep; it's a place to build friendships and have fun in a gorgeous setting. There were some fun conversations on the beach and while dining. Memories... Great memories!

Here are a few bits of information that I think future travelers would want to know:

1. The rooms do not have safes in them. This wasn't a big problem, as I felt completely safe as a solo, female traveler, but it would have been nice to secure some items. This is very likely on their to do list for the future.
2. There were no beach umbrellas. They had been taken down due to seasonal beach erosion. No worries; there was plenty of wonderful beach to enjoy! I had checked on this before leaving, and I ordered a portable beach umbrella. It was a skin saver, because that Bahamian sun can be quite intense. If you google "portable beach umbrella" you'll find the one that I ordered for $40 USD. It breaks down to a mere 24 inches and has its own carrying bag. Money well spent! It fit in my suitcase.
3. There are several beach loungers available.
4. The hotel also provides nice, big beach towels. Just ask at the front desk.
5. Maid service is daily, and Ideana does a fantastic job! My room was spotless!
6. If you need directions, ask Ben; He gives spot-on directions and advice on which beaches are best to visit.
7. Renting a car is a must so that you can see other parts of the island. Airport Rental is the company that I used. They will deliver the car, which is fabulous. Ben set this up for me in about five minutes. At the time of my visit, the charge was $70 USD (cash) or $74 with credit card.
8. Some excursion companies will pick you up at the hotel; the one I checked with charged a $20 fee. I think others do it for free.
9. Exuma Palms is about a 20 minute drive from George Town. Be advised that the main loop through town is one way. If you're going to Stocking Island, turn at the straw market and you'll see the dock for the water taxi. The water taxi is blue and yellow.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo