“Ultimate in Couples relaxation, beauty and tranquility”

Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Great Exuma
Carmel, Indiana
“Ultimate in Couples relaxation, beauty and tranquility”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This resort was absolutely beautiful. It was impeccably designed and maintained. We stayed in the Bay House buildings which all faced the ocean. Our room was clean, the bed great, and we took advantage of the pillows menu! They have a well stocked mini bar and great spa toiletries. There was daily cleaning and turn down service. The food was excellent. We ate at each of the restaurants and enjoyed treats in the evening from the cafe. We didn't have the butler service (my husband didn't want someone bugging us) and we didn't miss one! Our service was excellent overall. Every employee of the resort treated us well and most went above and beyond our expectations. There were two people that were terrific, Melizza from Il Cielo Lounge and William from the pool bar. The beach was incredible. Perfect turquoise water and white sand. The lounge chairs are spread out and sometimes we felt like we were the only people at the beach. I walked the grounds and beach front extensively. It was so beautiful. Take advantage of the quiet pool. They serve great jerk chicken from the BBQ at lunch. The only downfall to this outstanding resort was we had three flights to get there! I would highly recommend this great resort. I can't wait to go to another Sandals resort in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Bookroxy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,274)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 13 July 2014

i just want you to know the beach is absolutely stunning. I honesty don't think you can find prettier water and I traveled to many places. This is a resort for people that want to just relax and take in the beautiful beach.

I would recommend going with the 1/2 day tour with Sandals. Yes you can go off property but I tried and they cancelled on the same day. I am happy that Sandals was able to accommodate us at the last minute. The owner of the pigs takes you out so you really get to experience alittle more with him, you go snorkeling and to other caves. We climb a small cliff and the view was absoutely stunning. Don't miss out on the opportunity.

Our butlers really, really go out of the way to try to make us happy. Garth and Jackson thanks for all you did. I would definitely recommend these 2. You can go in your preferences and ask for certain butler. Just remember they work in teams and shifts. They work hard but remember they take care of other people to.

I am glad we did the Butler, we got a bigger room. A one bedroom, and it added alot of nice little perks for us. If you have the money or if its a special occasion do it. If you can't afford it you will still have a great time.

If your unhappy talk to someone at Sandals, it will get resolve. If they front desk can't help ask for a manager. I can guarantee you Sandals will do whatever it takes to ensure your vacation is awesome.

Happy travels!!!

Room Tip: Bay house 3,4 or 5 is good
8 Thank Cici30045
North canton
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

My now husband booked this resort for our honeymoon. The location was a surprise to me and I definitely was not disappointed! As soon as you land in Exuma, Sandals had transportation waiting for you and there is no need to worry about your bags. As soon as you arrive you are given champagne and the check in is a breeze. The staff made check in quick and easy so we could get into our bathing suits as soon as possible! The resort is gorgeous! Every night there's entertainment somewhere! Our favorite night was Bahamas Independence Day celebration! The staff is very friendly and do whatever they can to make your stay a blast. The food overall is okay. Our favorite food by far was at the French restaurant. It was delicious! The beach is gorgeous! Snorkeling was a blast! We rented a wrangler one day to explore the island and ended up at Tropic of Cancer. We had the whole beach to ourselves and was gorgeous! The only downside is the Mosquitos! I put bug spray on every night and am still covered in bites. Overall this trip was amazing! We didn't want to leave!

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Mmann0714
Sonoma, California
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed at Sandals Emerald Bay in a Beachfront Butler Suite, in June to celebrate our Honeymoon.
I will start with the good points:
1) The resort itself is BEAUTIFUL! One of the most beautiful places I have ever seen in my life. The grounds are very well maintained, there are tropical flowers, stylish furniture & decor. The buildings & structures are gorgeous.

2) The service was generally good. Butlers provide extremely good service, but then again they are motivated to do so by the tips. Overall, we had a good experience with all three of our butlers & the majority of the staff we encountered. They all took great care of us, especially when I had an allergic reaction to a bug bite & had to visit the nurse & local clinic (see below for more)

3) The beach was AMAZING! The water is literally bright turquoise, the sand was white & as soft as bakers sugar. We had no problems with sand fleas. The water is warm, but slightly cooler. We swam and laid on the beach everyday, it was wonderful. Experiencing the beach & the water in Exuma is lifechanging.

4)The entertainment available at the resort was excellent! There was live music every night, parties, and our favorite thing to do was go to the Il Cielo bar and watch Heston play Piano, sing, and work the room. He is such an incredibly talented person. I hope they pay him well & hold on tight.

5) The golf course was very challenging, and the view from the back 9 is just unreal. You get to see some amazing houses on the beach also.

6) We liked the layout & look of our room. We were right on the beach, so the view was just to die for-every morning waking up and seeing it was fabulous. The room had good linens, furniture, was supplied well with drinks & toiletries etc. It was nice.

The bad:
1) Housekeeping services are lacking. When we arrived our room was put together, but unfortunately dirty. The floor was so dirty that it turned a rag brown. There was garbage left behind from previous guests. Bird poo on the table outside. If your paying for one of the nicest rooms in the hotel, you expect it to be CLEAN, that means the floors swept & mopped.

2) The FOOD. Yikes. Everything is absolutely frozen, so once we learned that we chose foods that freeze well. There were some things that tasted okay, but overall it was pretty bad. I ate some things that were so bad it made me wretch. It needs to change.

3) The rooms need screens & mosquito nets! In the tropics it is a must. I was bitten many times & found bugs & lizards in our room. One of the bites I got swelled up so bad I had to visit the local clinic & wait 4 hours for a hydrocortisone shot & for them to CUT OFF my wedding ring. All of that could have been avoided if they put screens on the patios & nets over the beds.

Overall, it was a good experience. However, this resort needs some changes. I don't know that we will ever return, though we don't regret going.

Room Tip: Paying the extra money for a butler sweet on the beach was absolutely worth it.
8 Thank KayDale
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Hello and thank you for your review!
We are pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay at Sandals Emerald Bay and exploring the beautiful island of Exuma. Still, we understand that there were a few aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations and for this, we apologize. I will be sharing your feedback with the General Manager for immediate follow-up. We look forward to welcoming you back for a stay that exceeds all your expectations in the future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My daughter s wedding was designed at this property on the beach by the most delightful people. It didn t hurt the backdrop was the white sand, turquoise water and aqua blue sky. From her wedding planner (Shalise on site) Kai pre planning and for all the endless, tireless, planning, caring and incredible follow up from Christine Breslin(TI) it couldn't have gone any better. We indulged with the Butler option, which is a must. Delightful service by the most charming Darion, who was unbelievable. He deserves 5 stars, charming, on it, ensured our stay was exceptional. Along with him, Shaquille and Cordero provided the best of the best service. ( they even came to the wedding and in all our photos)!! I hope that the owners of Sandals read this and give great big kudos to their team. Of course, many hiccups en route but because of the incredible service and attitude by the Butler team, they got it done!

2 Thank Travel154_10
Thank you for your great review of Sandals Emerald Bay!
We are delighted that you and your family had a fabulous time celebrating your daughter's wedding with us! It is a privilege to host such a special event and we are so happy that our property was the perfect backdrop for this amazing occasion. Our staff members will truly appreciate your kind remarks and that they were able to make this already special trip, an unforgettable one for all of you! We hope to welcome you back again soon!
Clemson, SC
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I love all inclusive resorts. I have been to lots of them and I always write a review. I usually give really really glowing reviews but I do have a few watch out fors in this one. Sorry for not having my pom poms out as much. I'll divide into positive, neutral and not so positive. Positive =The ocean is the most beautiful I have ever seen from the surface. The resort is really clean and beautiful. The pool is fun and makes you want to stay there all day.The event staff keeps you as engaged as you want to be. The back nine holes on the golf course are a must see - even if you don't play just ride in the cart to see the view. Mini bar and room service are great. Neutral = Our room key would not work 5ish times during our 5 days there. Food choices are very Americanized - no Bahamas flavor. Coffee not restocked in room. Drunken Duck looks exactly like pubs at home. Not so Great = Not supposed to tip staff EVER or they "lose their job." This causes them to not be incented to go beyond regular tasks - as they seem to feel "why should we?" The staff at check in is so formal. I felt no guest or emp was allowed to "just have fun" even the champagne and cold scented towel feel forced and rushed. Red flag is up every day at the water sports shack (this means you can't take out any of the equipment (paddle boards, sail boats). No mask or fins provided for snorkeling. If you want to snorkel you must buy a $40 mask and snorkel at the gift shop (so bring your own). All inclusive diving - you will only get to do one dive on each trip. Once again - no incentive to do two by the staff. No dock on site for diving. You must meet in the piano room at 8:20am or you don't dive - so no later options - as I said they will only do one dive - NOT two or at least that was our experience. If you don't want to do a refresher course bring your logbook. Overall, a great trip because we love to vacation but in summary: No local flavor shows through at ALL. I like it looser and more laid back with a spicy staff who "enjoy" their job. So we nicknamed it playfully "the Island of no." Sure things get done but not with any joy or excitement spice or flavor. Would I pay to go back - Nah. But we will keep going to islands and experiencing all we can. Happy traveling!!

Room Tip: We liked being near the pool and on the ground level so we could just walk out.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Leanna48
Dear Leanna,
It's wonderful that you enjoyed your time at Sandals Emerald Bay but we regret to hear that we were unable to meet all of your expectations. Because of that, please accept my apologies. As hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process. Therefore, your comments have been passed on to the relevant departments for immediate evaluation and action as needed. We hope that we can welcome you back for a truly exceptional vacation experience in the near future.
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My fiance wanted to go to a couples only resort, preferably a Sandals, for our honeymoon, but didn't care which one. What I was looking for in a Sandals resort was the following:
1.) Great beach - I love the ocean and this resort seemed to get the best reviews for water/beach. It did not dissapoint. The sand was very similar to the sand in the Gulf and the water was a beautiful shade of blue/green. I admired the water all week long.
2.) Beachfront room - unfortunately, the beachfront rooms were a bit out of my budget, but we stayed on the second floor of Bayhouse 1 and had a nice view of the ocean
3.) Vendors - I had read reviews of some resorts being riddled with vendors constantly trying to sell you items. We did not experience or even see one occasion of this on our week long stay
4.) Proximity to airport - my wife gets car sick fairly easy and didn't love the idea of an 1:30 drive through the mountains to get to a resort. We landed at ~11:30 a.m. in Georgetown and was at the resort in ~30 minutes. It is a very small airport, so you are through customs very quickly and in a car headed to the resort not long after. The car ride can't be more than 10 minutes.
5.) Quite resort - We aren't big partiers and just wanted a relaxing trip. This resort was perfect in that regard.
Follow up to some of the negative reviews I read on Trip Advisor:
PROS:
-we didn't experience any issues w/ not being able to find a chair at the beach/ocean and there were usually rafts available if we decided to use one. We were told the hotel was high 70/low 80% occupancy
-I was worried from the reviews about the class system between butler suites and everyone else. We didn't have any negative issues with this.
-I read about the drinks being watered down, but we noticed quite the opposite, even though we aren't big drinkers
-we didn't have any issues with sand fleas
-we thought the food was very good. I had lobster tail at the Italian restaurant our last night and it was fabulous
-we really enjoyed the live music in the evenings
-we only did room service once for breakfast one morning, but it was on time, the order was correct, and it was very good
CONS:
-the beach activities were shut down due to wind a couple of days
-we went snorkeling twice, which was great, but they carried us to the same reef both trips
-we were forgot about at Dino's one day for lunch and waited an 1:25 before we decided to go to the buffet
-we didn't receive the rose petals for the honeymoon package all week. I went to the Club Lounge and the rep told me she would take care of it for me for our last night, but we still didn't received them

Room Tip: We stayed in on the second floor of Bayhouse 1. I had read reviews on Trip Advisor where this was a...
8 Thank Chad L
#1 of 4 in George Town
Paradise Bay Bahamas
Paradise Bay Bahamas
#1 of 15 in Great Exuma

Been to Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort? Share your experiences!