“Safe Bet”

Grand Isle Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Great Exuma
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We booked at Grand Isle Resort as the Trip Advisor reviews were very flattering and it looked to have everything we were looking for. The accommodation and service were very good and our young kids loved riding in the complimentary golf cart and playing in the pool. My wife and I found the restaurant to be distinctly average. The menu was dull and lacked items featuring fresh, local produce. Exuma itself is great. Miles of beautiful unspoiled beaches and very few tourists. If you go, do yourself a favour and rent a car so that you can explore the Island (and buy groceries).

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Beautiful location, villas. Quiet & peaceful, beaches were great, wonderful service & really nice people.
As others have mentioned, sand fleas are a definite problem on the island - bring OFF! and also Benadryl / calamine lotion. They don't have much to offer you at the resort if you are eaten alive...
For the price, food was average.
Activities on the island are limited, I did enjoy the all-day cruise to Thunderball Grotto and to see the swimming pigs, that was the highlight of the trip!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brueckelener
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed at the Grande Isle over Valentine's Day this year. There were some great pros and only a couple of smaller cons - all in all an ideal vacation. We stayed in a one bedroom villa very near the pool area of the property. The room was gorgeous and comfortable, the views were amazing, and the pool and cabana area were perfect. I loved falling asleep to the sound of the ocean, and only having to grab my book and head downstairs for either poolside or beachside reading in the morning. Cocktails were also very good. :)

The island of course is amazing. It's best to rent a car if you want to see much of it. Grand Isle is at one far end of the island, a ways away from town, maybe 15-20 min driving. I highly recommend a driving tour of the island, though, stopping at beaches and ocean from restaurants on the way. (One thing we learned about the island is that some of the best food is hidden in little shanty type buildings sitting on the beach - don't overlook them!)

One small issue we had with Grand Isle was that, I'm assuming, since we were near the pool and reception area of the resort, there was often commotion in the mornings. Mowing, leaf-blowing, staff on buggies driving up and down the road. It made it a little hard to sleep in. If/when we return, we'll definitely be looking for a villa further into the resort, rather than right next to the main buildings.

All in all, an incredibly beautiful spot for some serious beach bum time - an expensive vacation, but definitely a good time.

Room Tip: Stay further away from the main reception/pool area if possible for a quieter trip!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2013

There is no doubt that this is a beautiful place with amazing villas. The ocean is picturesque and I wanted to love it! My first day there, I was stung by many sand fleas and went into anaphylaxis. The hotel staff was not responsive. As a matter of fact, they looked at me as if I had three heads. I was fighting for my life and they didn't get it! If it hadn't been for an American doctor who knew I was in distress, I would not have made it. This is a classic case of the staff not having the professionalism or training to handle situations that can occur any where. There is clearly no emergency response nor is there a hospital on the island (but, one is being built). There is no way this is a five-star. It is a lovely place with very bad service (no pool service). I will give the hotel credit that the second time I had an allergic reaction the staff took me seriously and got me help (back to the clinic).

If the staff and service could be improved, this would be an amazing place. And given that there is a hospital on the way, there is hope for medical emergencies. Things have to change to make it worth the trip.

The excursion we took on a four seas boat was terrific. It was pleasant and I recommend it highly. There really is not a lot to do here, but for R and R, it's a good place.

7  Thank borntotravel64
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We had the best family vacation here. The service was excellent, the villas were a true home away from home and the grounds were amazing. The beachfront location was incredible. We will be back!

if I could add one value add suggestion to the management....add a small "convenience store" with essentials, etc on the grounds. This way I would never have to leave because I forgot to pack something or needed an quick item :)

Room Tip: we stayed in the 2 BR villa and loved it. Location of all villas were good.
2  Thank Mindy G
Reviewed 3 April 2013

This is an upscale resort with a wonderful beach. I would expect more from a 5 star resort in the way of services offered. The restaurant has a half decent menu, but the food is far too salty - all of it. We had a dinner with 6 guests and the meals arrived at 4 different times over 20 minutes. Not exactly a family dinner. Undercooked beef at lunch - not even acknowledged. Very cod coffee at breakfast. Make an appt. with the spa late in the day only to show up and they can't do the appt. as apparently someone else answered the call and shouldn't have booked the appt. We had to come back the next day and got too much more of the same. The nails were damaged in 1 day. Definitely not recommended.

5  Thank babywoods
Reviewed 28 March 2013

This is a phenomenal spot. We just returned from a family trip in celebration of my mom's 70th birthday. 3 generations, 3 families convened at the Grand Isle for 10 days of relaxation, connection and adventure. This was a trip we will always remember. The resort is impeccably kept, relaxed, family oriented but not over run with children. The food ad atmosphere at the restaurant was great but we appreciated also that we had high end kitchens to cook in when we didn't want to eat out. The water and beaches here are perhaps the best in the world - clear water with white sand for miles and miles. The snorkelling is phenomenal. Beachfires were very special and we did a boat adventure that will not soon be forgotten. Lots of time relaxing at the beach, swimming, building sandcastles, reading.
The condos are extremely well kept and housekeeping was impeccable. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a relaxing beach holiday with the ability to be self sufficient in your own condo or use the resort as you please. A nice balance.

3  Thank Amy U
#1 of 4 in George Town
Exuma Beach Resort
Exuma Beach Resort
#5 of 14 in Great Exuma

Been to Grand Isle Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!