My husband and I chose Exuma for our wedding destination without stepping foot on the island beforehand and the Grand Isle Resort exceeded all of our expectations by far. The wedding was just the two of us – we wanted a romantic beach wedding with no stress and the Grand Isle delivered that and more. I had communicated with Claudine, the general manager of the hotel, a number of times and she helped coordinate the florist, photographer and island administrator who performed the ceremony.
We had arranged for transportation through the concierge and upon stepping out of the airport there was someone waiting for us. I was so happy we did this as it was not any more expensive and we didn’t have to wait in the taxi line. Upon arriving at the resort, we were greeted by Claudine along with the friendly receptionist. Check in was easy and someone took us on a golf cart right away to our villa and gave us a tour, showing us how everything worked.
Our second floor villa was amazing with beautiful views of the marina and ocean (not the bay) and we sat out on the balcony many nights watching the sunsets and the boats pull in. The luxurious one bedroom villa had a beach themed décor with a separate living room and bedroom. We were so happy about the full kitchen and had brought along some items to make breakfast in the morning. The kitchen had all the amenities you would need to cook a full meal.
Although it’s not a far walk to the pool, it was great having a golf cart to explore. We drove along the golf course path to take in the views, went to the marina and also stopped at the liquor store (well technically across the street from the liquor store since you can’t take cart across the main street).
Wedding: Claudine was so helpful in getting everything ready; on the day of the wedding she met me at our villa with a glass of champagne, helped me into my dress and drove me over to the beach. The actual wedding ceremony took place on the beach and was picture perfect. We had a private palapa reserved for dinner which was similar to a gazebo and on the other side of the pool. It was decorated beautifully with flowers, shells, ribbons on the chair, etc. and we had another amazing meal while listening to the live Bahaman band (a Tuesday night specialty).
Restaurant: I was very impressed with The Palapa Grill. I was a little worried about eating at the same place everyday but there are many options on the menu. The fish was fresh and there were plenty of healthy options. The tuna and steak were standouts. The service was impressive; Brian and Shan remembered us every day and were so friendly and welcoming. Note: the restaurant/bar does close early, I believe around 10 pm. We also ordered room service and enjoyed dinner on our balcony. The prices were very reasonable
Staff: Everyone from the gate attendant to the gardeners greeted us with “good morning” or asked how we were enjoying our stay and was genuinely interested in our response. I don’t think I have been to a resort where the staff was this genuine
Beach/Pool: The pool area is beautiful and overlooks the ocean. There are plenty of chairs and umbrellas around the pool and on the beach. The beach is Emerald Bay and is calm, great for snorkeling the reefs right off the beach. The water is the most stunning shade of blue you will ever see. Snorkeling equipment, kayaks and paddleboards are all available for no extra charge.
All in all, we had an amazing time at this serene, beautiful resort and can’t wait to come back. The resort was not crowded in late May and we were treated as if we were the only guests there. I would recommend this resort for couples, families and large groups.
Other recommended activities while on Exhume – full day boat tour with 4 C’s so you can snorkel Thunderball Grotto, swim with the sharks and see the famous swimming pigs. We also rented a boat from Minn’s – so worth it. It is a $50 taxi ride to Georgetown but we had a great day on our 15’ Boston Whaler visiting Stocking Island, going to secluded beaches, snorkeling the blue grotto and visiting Chat N Chill for lunch. We are not boaters but it’s easy as they give you a map and you’re just in the harbor where you can see everything.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Emerald Bay in Great Exuma, The Bahamas, Grand Isle Resort & Spa is a stunning ocean front resort. The exclusive gated community comprises 78 luxuriously appointed 1- to 4-bedroom villas that range from 1,250 sq. ft. to 5,200 sq. ft. and offer a fully equipped kitchen, spacious living area, high-end amenities, and extraordinary views. Getting around the resort is quick and convenient, as every villa is equipped with a personal golf cart. Grand Isle is one of the finest resorts in the Caribbean and is ideally suited for family holidays, romantic getaways, destination weddings and honeymoons, or for simply enjoying the beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotel.de, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Agoda, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Isle Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Isle Hotel Great Exuma
- Grand Isle Resort And Spa
- Grand Isle Resort & Spa Bahamas/Great Exuma