I stayed here with my six year old son and wife for a week in February. The location is gorgeous located on an island with only a few people on it. The owners were very gracious and accommodated us when our flights got cancelled due to a winter storm. The views out of the room were fantastic with the ocean visible from the front and back of the simple, yet clean and functional room. The staff were very friendly and made sure we were generally comfortable at every turn. Check in was non-existent; we were simply handed a key on arrival and shown to our room. We were then invited to the bar to have a drink and hear about what was in the area. Very relaxing. The problem came where food was involved. The hotel bar was the ONLY place to get food on the island and you generally had to order hours in advance because the food had to be procured on the main island (Great Exuma). In addition, the few other options were on the main island in George Town and getting there was not as simple as hailing a cab. Once on the island, you are pretty much stuck there unless you can arrange transport with the hotel boat. I sort of knew that I would be out there in the middle of the ocean and it was great, but the lack of flexibility to get dinner or lunch somewhere else was less than appealing to me. It really sucked the life out of my stay. I did end up renting a small boat from a shop in town and that really improved things. I went to some remote beaches where it was just the three of us. I also went to a few restaurants for lunch that were seemingly in the middle of nowhere and had great food. I also went in to town to go shopping and see how the small town was laid out. The boats did not have lights so running at night was prohibited. The hotel was very nice, safe, clean, and friendly and the views were great. Being out there on the island was awesome. However, the difficulty with transportation really made me wish I had stayed in town. I would recommend this place for someone who really wants to get away from it all, but not for someone that likes to poke around the local area on their own schedule. Get a boat from Minns and that will improve things significantly. Beware if you visit during the week where the boaters are there. They tend to take over everything and the hotel guests suffer for it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- St Francis Resort is located in a pristine location on Stocking Island. Enjoy miles of whitesand beaches, diving and watersports, sailing, dining, and much more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotel.de, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your St Francis Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St Francis Hotel Great Exuma
- St Francis Resort Bahamas/Great Exuma