“Extreme Misrepresentation of "Orange Hibiscus" by Gabriel Martin”
Review of Oceania Properties

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Great Exuma
Oceania Properties
Gallatin, Tennessee
“Extreme Misrepresentation of "Orange Hibiscus" by Gabriel Martin”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

DON'T DO IT!! Gabriel Martin is extremely well at describing the property and making it sound absolutely fabulous and according to the photos it appears to be accurate but it is far from fabulous. Its a shame really, because the house "could" be fabulous if someone would take note of all of the issues and rectify them. The wonderful view from the home is about the only thing that I was pleased with. Gabriel promised a lot of things and delivered on almost none of them. We were told that we could send a list of food items that we would like to have stocked in the villa prior to our arrival. I emailed this list but on arrival the villa had not been stocked with anything. The villa is advertised as being able to be rented as a 2 bedroom, 3 bedroom or 5 bedroom option. One side is a 3 bedroom and the other is a 2 bedroom. I made sure that when we rented out the 2 bedroom portion of the villa, as we didn't need all 5 bedrooms, that the other side would remain unoccupied during our stay. He assured us that we would be the only ones there. When we arrived Gabriel told us that he was going to "upgrade" us to the 3 bedroom side of the villa. Didn't really matter to us either way, we were only occupying one bedroom regardless. But we took this as a nice gesture and happily accepted. Well after we get checked in and he tells us where to go get the groceries, that he was supposed to have gotten, we do the walk through. Everything seems to be okay. At this point I have decided to overlook the issue of the unstocked kitchen and tried to remain positive. It was the first day of my vacation and I refused to get upset over something like this. Well, when we returned we noticed that the trainee that was with Gabriel during our checkin process, was outside on the back veranda. We just assumed he was checking things out. My husband went out to talk with him and he informed us that he was staying in the 2 bedroom side of the villa!! He said he would be leaving in 2 days and wasn't going to be there during the day so I decided to let that slide as well. On to the next issue, the home was promised to be walking distance to the beach, It was not. The supposed path that I was told about, had to be blocked off because the locals wouldn't stay off it. Well this is the story that Gabriel told me. So we had to drive to the closest beach area, which I must say was quite fabulous. Gabriel told me that there were beach chairs at the villa that we could take to the beach, this wasn't true. The only loungers were the ones by the pool and they weren't able to fold up, so we couldn't transport them. Ok, so we took a bed sheet down to the beach and made do. I was still having a good time. I phoned Gabriel and asked for a small cooler to use the following day so we could take some beverages with us to the beach. He said he would bring it that morning. Guess what, we never got the cooler. Now on to the pool. It wasn't working. It was full of water and nice and warm but no circulation so it was basically covered in a layer of bugs. Now my niceness has started to wear off. I'm going to go ahead and try to sum this up, as I honestly think I could go on and on. When it rained, the ceiling leaked and water puddled in the floor in the living room. We reserved the home for 7 nights and only ended up staying for 5. Two of those days we found other things to do besides relax at the villa, which is what we like to do on vacation. That's why we rent villas as opposed to hotels. Pool was never fixed and we never had any house keeping. The villa was poorly stocked with necessities. We contacted Gabriel and told him that we would be checking out early so that we could salvage the remainder of our trip and simply asked for a refund of the remaining 2 nights since we were going to incur an additional charge for having to go stay somewhere else. He told my husband that he would talk with the owner of the home and email us. We waited very patiently, over a month, and didn't hear anything. I sent him an email, he responds and requested for us to write a list of the issues. Did it, and we have not heard anything since. I told him that I would refrain from writing this negative review if he would refund what we had requested. Apparently he doesn't care. We never got a refund. We stayed in June of 2011. I am posting this in March of 2012. I feel like I have been patient enough and assume I will never get that refund, therefore I decided to do this plus post some photos of the villa. I will be sure to include the ones of the fabulous view too. Exuma is a wonderful island and my husband and I are going back at the end of May and staying in the The Hart House villa, which is where we stayed for the final 2 nights of vacation last summer. It is sheer perfection and I highly recommend it. Many thanks to John Toker for helping us out. See you in a couple of months!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Lori S

Business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I felt I should write after reading the bad review on here. We stayed at this villa in June 2011 and loved the property. It was clean, very well stocked and very spacious. I have to agree, the beach was much further away them we had expected. You really do need a car. And we also felt as though we were alone with no help at all - the concierge service is non-existent, and when he did turn up he seemed intent on trying to sell us timeshare! The villa is located very near the airport, although we were never disturbed by any aircraft noise.

I think the villa is very nice, but quite over-priced. We had a good holiday, but have no yearning to return.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank mojoxox
Jackson, NJ
Reviewed 18 July 2011

It is absolutely undisputed that Exuma is an amazing island and that the water there is second to none. I had started researching more than three months in advance for this vacation. We wanted a largely un-touristic island to just relax . Exuma was the destination and I was going to find the perfect spot to stay. As confirmed fans of local flavor, I thought it would be a great idea to stay in a rental. Oceania Heights seemed PERFECT. The price was a bit high, but for what was promised, it seemed like we would get what we paid for. This was my first mistake. During the many telephone conversations with Gabriel Martin, the Property Manager, Oceania Heights seemed like heaven on earth – and from the pictures online, looked like it as well. This was mistake number two. Once we had paid our money (upfront and in full) this is where the service got shaky. I had to send numerous e-mails and leave several phone messages to get a call back – just to go over things that had been promised. Outlined below are the complaints exactly as they were submitted to the Property Manager – two days after our return.
1. House was not stocked (even minimally) – there was a half roll of toilet tissue in the master bathroom, there was no sponge to wash the dishes, no dish soap, no tissues or paper towels. We had to repeatedly call to get these things (and when someone finally came, we only received what could be taken from the adjacent property). There was no way for us to clean or dry the few dishes that were in the house, and we were not about to leave dirty dishes in the sink for several days before housekeeping came.

2. The floor in the living room is broken – there is a large piece of floor molding missing from the transition area. The floor buckles and splits in several areas as if the sub-floor was not installed properly.

3. There were no towels in the 2nd bathroom upstairs – and none that we could locate in the closets.

4. The air conditioning comes on all night long (we had it set no lower than 75) and each time it does, it sounds like a jet engine – it is extraordinarily loud and very disruptive.

5. The promised Wi-Fi is not reliable and we had no way to check it as the router/modem was not located in our unit.

6. The pool tiles and grout have mold/mildew on them.

7. The bedding in the master bedroom does not fit the bed – it is clearly made for a double bed.

8. The shower door in the master bathroom does not close properly – it constantly stays ajar toward the inside of the shower.

9. We had to wait more than 4 hours for someone to come and get cooking utensils in the adjacent unit for us to use the BBQ grill as well as supplies. There were no cooking utensils in the house, at all, other than 4 forks, knives and spoons.

10. The house was billed as a “less than 5 minute walk” to the beach, when, in fact, it was closer to 15 – 20 minutes.

We decided to leave after our third night. We tried to contact the property manager several times, but he did not answer our calls.

We were promised a refund for the four unused nights of our stay, via e-mail, by the property manager. As of the date of this writing, no refund has been given, and he is now reneging on two nights’ refund, saying the property owner will only give two nights. Gabriel no longer answers our e-mails or calls.

Sadly, this is indicative of the service we received during our experience with Oceania Heights. Save yourself the trouble. Stay at Sandals Emerald Bay. Use TripAdvisor wisely - check the dates of the reviews. I now no longer wonder why the reviews are more than a year old.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank JERomano
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 7 May 2010

After a recent visit to the bahamas with my boyfriend, I have nothing but amazing things to say about Oceania Heights in Great Exuma. Each of the villas are private and beautiful. We stayed in the Orange Hisbiscus which had a breathtaking view of the ocean complete with blooming flowers, a private pool, and an overall feeling of peace, and traquility. The villa made us feel as comfortable as our own home.
Though all the beaches in Exuma are georgous, I especially loved the beauty and seclusion of beaches that spanned for miles just a minute away from the villa. We spend hours enjoying the white sand, blue water, and snorkeling on live reefs without seeing any footsteps but our own. Georgetown was a short drive away, where there was access to restaurants, bars, boat rentals, and some of the best scuba diving in the carribean.
If you are looking for peace, prestine, and beauty mixed with romance and excitement, I would put oceania heights at the top of the list and we certainly plan to come back for another stay at these incredable villas.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SugarplumMiami
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2010

Oceana Heights is a stunning setting and was the perfect locale for our exploration of Exuma. Beautiful well maintained houses perched on a hill with picturesque panoramic views of both sides of the island. We stayed in the Great Exuma View house and it was very clean, comfortable and spacious. Location is very close to George Town and the Exuma Int'l airport, as well as many local attractions such as the local fish-fry and stocking island.
Definitely returning, I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Exuma!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 17 April 2010

I stayed for 2 nights in the Blue Orchid Villa. The villa's finishings were first class. All top of the line appliances, granite counter tops, superb interior decorating, marble showers, marble floors on the main floor and hardwood throughout the bedroom areas, jazcuzzi tub in the master bedroom, flat screen televisions throughout, computer with internet access, double Weber BBQ. This villa had everything you could imagine in the most elegant of residences in the United States. I stayed for 2 nights and came home completely refreshed. I met a lot of people from all parts of the world and made some new good friends. This is a destination that I will return to many times.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
Ohio
Reviewed 18 December 2009

That is if you have any, it will be gone by the time you leave Oceania. Beautifull quiet, relaxing at home or on the beaches. The beaches are clean, not even sea weeds. The water is crystal clear even after you have waded thru it. You will forget and attempt to drink it only to realise it is very salty ocean water!! Get a boat out to fish and enjoy nearby islands. The villa are spacious, clean anf fully equipped. Worth everything.
Richard and Dorothy O

Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort
Exuma Beach Resort
Exuma Beach Resort
#4 of 13 in Great Exuma

Been to Oceania Properties? Share your experiences!