“Amazing, Relaxing Beach and Diving Experience”

Club Med Columbus Isle
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in San Salvador
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I recently vacationed for 7 days at Club Med's Columbus Isle. It was without a doubt the most relaxing vacation I have ever had. The biggest contributor to the experience was the beach with the most beautiful turquoise water and Club Med's GO's who create exceptional experiences for the guests. The resort is beautiful and well kept. It's unusual for beach resorts as it is comprised of bungalows (each with 4 guest rooms) spread along the white sand Bahamian Beach. Lots to do especially in the water - paddle boarding, water skiing, snorkeling and of couse great diving. Alos Volleyball, tennis , bicycling....or nothing at all. I preferred the mango mojitos under an umbrella on the beach....ahhh how I am missing that today!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to Deluxe Ocean view....you won't be disappointed whether it's morning coffee on the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Caymus59
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Columbus Isle, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2012

Dear Caymus59,
We are so pleased that you loved your recent vacation with us! Thanks for the great feedback. We love hearing that our GOs were fun and helpful and that you enjoyed our water skiing, snorkeling, and diving! Thank you again for your review, and we hope you come back to get a mango mojito again very soon!

Your Club Med Team

Write a ReviewReviews (3,940)

Reviewed 18 July 2012

I stayed for 7 days at the end of April, 2012 ~ beautiful beach ~ loved my room but there are some issues that made for an unpleasant trip: this is not an eco property in that people smoked on the beach and left the cig. butts in the sand. I was also submitted to cig. smoke while using the beach. The food was wonderful but again smoking outside the buidlings everywhere by pool etc. I loved my room but two nights during the week club Med played horribly loud tech. music until 2:00 a.m. ~ note my room was the furtherest away from the bar area this disturbed my sleep. I complained and nothing was done ~ NO chef du village on site that week that I met... On the snorkeling boats with the club I was forced to wear a life jacket which hindered my ability to snorkel even though I am an expert swimmer. It was like swimming with your clothes/shoes on actually unsafe. People were friendly and I enjoyed meeting people from all over the world. stretch class was great yoga class was awful & dangerous.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank susan s
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Columbus Isle, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012

Dear susan s,
Thank you for providing us with feedback about your recent stay at Club Med Columbus Isle. While we're thrilled you enjoyed your room, a class or two, and our food selection, we are very sorry to hear that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. We appreciate and value your comments, and we are looking into your concerns immediately. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

This resort is a paradise. The location is fantastic, on a large isolated stretch of
white sand beach. The village is charming, filled with one and two story colorful buildings.
The dining area has a large porch overlooking the ocean. The food is very good, with a huge
selection. Service was excellent, GO's are fun and help create a friendly, relaxing environment.

We ate all our meals outside, either on the large covered porch or dining by the pool. In both
cases you have a tremendous view of blue water, white sand and beautiful cloud patterns.
It's all you can eat and drink, alcohol included, with wine available at dinner. There
is an optional dress code for dinner, "White" night looked so elegant with the majority
wearing white and the tables covered in white table cloths, sunset lighting up the sky,
creating an elegant ambiance and great photo opportunities.

We like an active vacation, and we utilized all of the sports available: voleyball,
sailing, windsurfing, snorkeling, stand up paddleboards, kayaks, tennis, skiing.
We did not dive, although it is available for extra cost. We rented bikes to tour the island.
We also spent some time reading on the beach.

The rooms completely met our needs. We had two adjoining rooms (so convenient with kids),
with a queen bed in one and two twins in the other. Both rooms had a small couch/bed for
extra sleeping space. The space is not huge but it is well organized. Both rooms had
a covered porch accessed by a sliding glass patio door. Our view was of the ocean
just beyond the sailing center. The floors are white tile, maid service cleaned the room
and the floors every day. It was quiet and comfortable sleeping. I think this was a
Club/Garden room.

We felt comfortable letting our kids roam the property. They made friends
from Paris. There were lots of French and Italians, also many Americans. The place feels very safe. All the GO's speak English, so language was not a problem for us.

This was definately one of my best vacations ever. I hope to be able to go back soon.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank austinfam

Dear austinfam,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent vacation at Club Med Columbus Isle. It sounds like you really stayed busy and enjoyed sailing, windsurfing, snorkeling, and biking! We're so happy to hear that your family loved your vacation and that the property, staff, accommodations, and activities met all of your needs! Thank you again for your comments, and we hope you family comes back to visit very soon!

Reviewed 16 July 2012

My husband loves scuba diving. I can barely swim. Columbus Isle was perfect for both of us!
He signed up for the 6 day scuba package so he was diving twice a day, every day we were there. He has dived all over the world and reported to me that this was the best diving he has ever done! Columbus Isle specializes in "shelf diving" so there were lots of valleys, nooks and crannies, and chimneys to dive through. My husband happened to bring his own dive computer with him which was fortunate since you needed to have one and it was not specifically noted in the information we received from Club Med.
I spent my days lounging on the beach, under cover with sunscreen of course, and had a wonderful time. I participated in a bocce ball competition with a French partner and we won! Before I left I made a 20 second video of the beach on my phone with the sound of the waves. Whenever I get stressed out I play the video, watch and hear the waves, and instantly am transported back to this vacation.
The food is excellent and diverse. Our room was great. The mixed drinks at the bar were excellent. Everyone was very friendly. Highly recommended for a week or more away.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank P-and-R1976
Reviewed 16 July 2012

There's no question this is one of the most beautiful vacation spots around. The island is small and there's almost nothing else but the Club Med. The diving is spectacular as are Jean Paul and his wonderful team of highly qualified diving instructors. The rest of the water sports are great as well and available at no additional cost, including water skiing. The quality of the food had dipped relative to last year, and some of the guys pulling water skiers seem to want to pull arms out of the sockets, otherwise, it's been a wonderful two weeks. Of note, Spirit Airlines is almost always late, and some might want to explore flying into Nassau which has daily flights to and from San Salvador around noon. We're definitely going back next year, but will go through Nassau because I'm tired of waiting forever to get on the plane in Fort Lauderdale and San Salvador. If it wasn't for that awful airline, the trip would have been perfect.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank FdeBrantes

Dear FdeBrantes,
Thank you for your review of your recent vacation with us. We are so pleased that you enjoyed the majority of your vacation. It sounds like you had a great time scuba diving and water skiing. However, we apologize that some aspects of your trip were not up to par. We appreciate your feedback and are looking into your addressing your concerns. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

1. Non-working AC.  We set ours to 68F, Saturday, when we arrived.  It's never gone below 80F!

2. They gave us ground floor room, 1/2 a mile from the resort center...  ( I'm partly disabled, which I told CM before we arrived.)

They did offer to change our room, for one closer to the center, on Monday night.  We were on our way to group pictures, with all 77 of us.  Then dinner, so we didn't get back to them until Tuesday.  By then that room was gone.  They did offer another one, but wouldn't let us look inside.  As several of the group's rooms had mold issues, & there was no view, & the 4 man hours it would take to move we declined.

3. Refrigerator in our room didn't work.  They did change it, but while we had a "do not disturb" sign up.

4. 4 to 5 springs sticking through one side (on top) of bed!  My husband says, "more like 15". They did turn or switch the mattress.

5. No location signs, very confusing to get around, and easy to get lost.  No "you are here signs".

6.  Weekly & daily schedules must be picked up in reception.  That means each day for daily!  Why are they not laminated in a binder in the room?  Would be much more environmentally friendly!

7. Rooms are 2 star at best.

8. Only map given of resort is about 2" x 11/2".  Ridiculous!  Why is there not a large one laminated in the room?

9.  Extra activities brochure has to be picked up at another location.  Again, why not in room?

10. Lights were not turned on on the beach path 6/23.

11.  No benches along paths.  Nor water stations.  There are even alcoves that obviously were meant for seating groups.

12.  Our large party was seated in the hottest part of the resturant, no air conditioning, fans inadequate.  And, haven't they heard of "Misty Mates"?

13.  They sprayed for Mosquitos, but missed by the resturant.  We were bitten alive!

14.  Tuesday night we had a private dinner, at Watlings.  7:30pm dinner.  As our table finished dessert, we noticed the small children's table hadn't been served their entree.  At 9:30pm!  All 7 kids under 7 were marvelously well behaved.  Can't say same for the resturant manager.  He should have seen and corrected the problem!

15. My husband, a PADI open water certified diver, & dive instructor, was not allowed to dive, due to bypass surgery.  They insisted he have a letter from his cardiologist, & a copy of a stress test performed in the last 2 weeks!  Anyone carry that on them at all times?  He has been diving since the bypass in USA with no problem.  There was no mention of this online.  Oh, and the dive boat captain said, even if my husband did all this, he, the captain, still wouldn't take him, my husband, out!!!  Plus, Club Med said all this after husband had paid.  They didn't want to refund the $345!!!  Also, you have to wear a flotation/visability vest, while snorkling.  You could have it uninflated, but still hard to dive.  And there were no weights.  My husband is used to free diving to 40'.  Couldn't here.  But, hey, take one pool dive and they will take you out to the reefs.  Diving paradise?  I think not...

16.   Spirit Airlines is Club Med's charter to San Sal.  They were over an hour late from Fort Lauderdale to San Sal.  Over 2 hours late, missed our connecting flight out of Fort Lauderdale.  Over 40 of us, just from our group had to stay over night, in Fort Lauderdale.

17.  A very kind person in our group gave us each room credit.  Since, weather moved in Friday, canceling dives and jet skis, they still had it Saturday.  Last I heard, Club Med was refusing to refund the money!

18.  Dry rice, over cooked shrimp, crab sandwich was imitation, water-downed drinks, eggs terrible...

19.  Hot room caused some of my medications to melt.  Could cause major health problems.

Now for the good.

1.  Isabel the Massuesse.  Online information is wrong.  They do do therapeutic massage.
2.  Florence the nurse.
3.  The view from our room.
4.  Swimming in the clear water.
5.  Visiting with extended family.
6.   Flan & chocolate meringue torte.  Watlings food.
7.  Bruno the photographer.

Susan

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank Susan D

Dear Susan D,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We apologize that your vacation was not up to par. We pride ourselves on a convenient, comfortable, and relaxing environment, and we are deeply sorry that was not your experience. We are looking into of your concerns immediately; thank you again for your feedback. We very much value and appreciate your opinion.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

I was in Columbus Isle in May 2012 and in May of last year.
I will compare my two visits: what was different and what could make (if any) life better at this ClubMed. I will touch only those topics that I deeply care about, skipping all others.

Weather.
No rain. A few days with good wind, a few days with some wind, a few days wind died afternoon. A few days with full sun, a few cloudy days. Could be better, but I am happy with the weather.
Week before was rainy, with no wind. I feel sorry for those gusts.
Last year it was better wind conditions.

Crowd.
Mostly from Canada, US, France. Big group from Brazil, two Japanese.
US flight was full, last year was 30% full.
More singles than last year.
Gender-wise, it was much more men than women.

GOs.
Made up mostly of guys, just a few girls. Last year it was healthy balance here.
For some reason, I like last year team better.

Thanks to Patrick, Brook, Jenifer, Tanya, Jamie, Kelly, Michel, Monica and all others who made my days at CI.

Windsurfing.
Windsurfing was as good as it could be in such wind conditions. Last year it was better.

Beach Volleyball.
This year it was more players, but I was missing nice players from last year.

Tennis.
Not many players in 2012.
Most tennis racquets were broken. I played with youth (junior) racquet, because could not get usable adult racquet.

Food.
Food was testy, similar to last year. But I liked it last year better.
Nice selection of healthy food/snacks at the beach bar, better than in last year.

Drinks and Bars.
List of drinks was similar to last year.
Service at the bars was excellent, as it was last year. Thanks to all guys and girls. I don't remember all names, just a few that came up: Yonnie, Marie Ann, Bruno, Todd, Shiran.

Nightlife.
Was similar to last year. A few more dance parties in 2012 than last year. This makes a difference.
Hot and humid in theater during showtime. I watched just a few shows.

Overall, my stay at CI last year was excellent, this year it was good

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank WindsurfingGuy

Dear WindsurfingGuy,
Thank you for reviewing your trip to Club Med Columbus Isle. We're so glad that you enjoyed your vacation and that you had fun windsurfing and spending time with our GOs, but we regret that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback and are looking into your concerns. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Salvador
#2 of 5 in Andros
Harbor Breeze Villas
Harbor Breeze Villas
#1 of 2 in Clarence Town

Been to Club Med Columbus Isle? Share your experiences!